• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jpezli

Corporal
12 Badges
Jan 15, 2007
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
Now that the FTG dev team has the access to the source code of the game, why not hire or look for volunteers to port the game to Linux? Linux could use at least one decent game running natively instead of Wine.

Anyway, thanks for the news, I will be preordering the game as soon as it is possible.

Three things:

1. EU2 is DirectX-based
2. I know virtually nothing about either DirectX or OpenGL
3. I dual-boot Ubuntu

So while I can see that it would be nice, I just don't see that it's practical right now. However, I would like to make sure it works well with Wine at least.

1. EU2 is DirectX-based

I can help there.

2. I know virtually nothing about either DirectX or OpenGL

Heh... I do (I've done ports for LGP and for Elecorn (Caster3D)...) and I would love to help. In fact, myself and one other have been trying to get Paradox to get back with us on the EU2 engine license to port to Linux so that we could help them and all the mod crowd get their stuff over on to Linux to tap into that rather large, unserved market space.

So far, we got an acknowledgement of of at least one of the NDA's having been received (not mine, Robert's, though...) and nothing else. We've been waiting for months now on things... :D We'd LOVE to get access and to help make an enhanced version of the engine possible.

3. I dual-boot Ubuntu

Cool. :D

So while I can see that it would be nice, I just don't see that it's practical right now. However, I would like to make sure it works well with Wine at least.

Perhaps not practical for you to do it, but maybe if you had help... ;)

So, you're saying that it's up to them as to whether or not we get to help or not?

If so, fair enough. I'll get Robert to get with them to let you know and I'll try to get them another copy of the signed NDA and get my access straightened out.

If not, why not? We already have one NDAed individual that's waiting for them to give him access to the original engine code. I'm in the process of getting my access straightened out. If this is going to end up being an enhanced engine, why not make a cross-platform one for MacOS (the bulk of the coding is surprisingly similar...) and Linux?

I personally have nothing against such port, in the contrary, especially if MacOS can be the other and same target of such port. And it could be easy to merge team if such project is accepted and even more if you have your own license for this.

I personally have nothing against such port, in the contrary, especially if MacOS can be the other and same target of such port. And it could be easy to merge team if such project is accepted and even more if you have your own license for this.

That's music to my ears, actually- and in most cases the work's very, very similar (There were several Linux ports over at LGP that ended up being only slightly tweaked to accommodate MacOS...).

I'll see what I can do to sort out the licensing on our end so we can work along the lines you mention. :D

I'm a Linux user since 1992, and my computing world is Linux-centered. A direct Linux port (preferably), else by way of Wine--either way, I'd love to be able to play For the Glory on Linux!

Hmm, being a Qt expert I trigger, when you mention both MacOS and Linux. I know Trolltech did a lot of optimizations for graphics, but I've never heard of a game using it as platform. The license is LGPL now, so it can be used without a license. Only question is if it can handle the demands.

guys no worries about finding engines for the job, mad scientist is an expert, hes done more ports than you can imagine.

pic's or it didnt happen:rolleyes:

pic's or it didnt happen:rolleyes:

Heh...

I'm an independent consultant for LGP and do indie work for other studios.

Allow me to introduce myself- my name is Frank Earl.

Published credits on:

Ballistics, published by LGP.
Caster3D, published by Elecorn.

I've done work on the following currently unpublished titles:

Soul Ride for x86_64 for LGP as a demo at GDC '03 at AMD's booth.
Bandits: Phoenix Rising (Waiting final goahead for publication...)

I've done work on the following titles that are published, but were bug-fixes
so I don't show in the credits:

SoulRide for PPC Linux, published by LGP.
SoulRide for X86 Linux, published by LGP.

There's a couple of projects in progress that are working at getting the aforementioned titles onto ARM Linux, which translates into easy efforts to getting the games into the new crop of Android, WebOS (Palm Pre), and Maemo phones as well as the Pandora handheld.

I've been doing cross-platform work for about a decade or more, including porting games. :D

Now, you asked for a bit of pictures... Pictures are easy to fake. A trail on the Internet when it's the right places isn't as easy- though it is still doable. However, it's all I've got that'll be more convincing than pics, so without further ado...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_gaming_frank&num=1

http://elecorn.com/blog/2009/05/caster-released-on-linux/

http://www.mobygames.com/game/linux/ballistics

I would hesitate to say that I've done more ports than you could imagine, but I've done my fair share of moving code over from Windows to something Posix compatible. In fact, it's been paying me well as a day job for those last 10 or so years along with making device drivers happen on Linux.

Hmm, being a Qt expert I trigger, when you mention both MacOS and Linux. I know Trolltech did a lot of optimizations for graphics, but I've never heard of a game using it as platform. The license is LGPL now, so it can be used without a license. Only question is if it can handle the demands.

I'd say it's, in theory, possible to use something like that for a 2D game. You have people making KDE specific 2D games all the time- and KDE uses Qt. Having said this, unless everyone (I hesitate to say "we" because I'm not part of the project yet... ;) ) sign off on re-doing the whole rendering backend (which may make sense, but I'm hesitant to commit to that path without looking at the code...) you're better off moving from the DirectDraw/D3D backend to something with pluggable rendering (if it's not already abstracted...which makes that sort of thing easier...) to get the cross-platform pieces all glued together so people have something sooner rather than later.

SDL 1.2 is available under LGPL.

http://www.libsdl.org/license.php

If the game's DirectDraw derived, that'd be the way I'd take things- perhaps even to the point of the new engine code using SDL instead (On Windows, SDL is a shim library with minimal impact around DirectDraw, etc...). It makes for hitting more targets easier when it's coupled with something like cAudio or similar for sound (SDL's sound is a bit primitive in use- we might be able to use it, we might not...).

With SDL, you get to pick off quite a few platforms out of the gate with minimal coding effort.

If it's D3D based, we'll still need SDL for input handling, I suspect, and for cleanly setting the stage for OpenGL so it'll work on a larger range of platforms without a batch of "#ifdefs" in the game code as they're all handled within the library itself without penalty. Well, as long as it's not a mess in there, that is... ;)

Last edited:
what makes me most excited about this is that Earl is certainly the one man that can overcome the 2020 province limits, while retaining great portability and speed.

Yoda had said that it would require some re-writes on a few display whatnots... well this guy knows it all.(prob no better man for the job out there)

i hope he joins the project.
(and i really hope we get more than 2020 provinces!! :D )

cheers