• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pointhi

Recruit
16 Badges
Feb 4, 2016
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Prison Architect
System

* GNU/Linux - Antergos (Arch based Distribution)
* GeForce GT 650M
* Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (NVIDIA® Optimus™, intel graphic card is default)

Crashlog

http://pastebin.com/37vgBpnM

Important informations

* Magicka 2 is only crashing when using the Nvidia Card (using optirun or primusrun doesn't matter). Running Magicka 2 on the Intel Card cause no problems (beside of lags).
* I'm using the propertary Nvidia driver
* Magicka 2 worked on the system fine just a few days ago (but I needed some troubleshooting to get it working that last time, and now that troubleshooting doesn't worked) but I have to note running Magicka 2 on my laptop wasn't reliable all the time. Sometimes it started, sometimes not

Please ask if there are missing informations.

Upvote 0
That looks like a driver issue. Magicka 2 uses GLSL 1.2 shaders and the support seems a bit finicky. Unfortunately we have no easy way of upgrading it. I believe that if you disable SSAO and Depth of Field you should be able to bypass these shaders and hopefully it will not crash. Open ~/.bitsquid/Magicka2/user_config.config and change the with "ssao_enabled" and "dof_enabled" so they're set to false.

If that doesn't work I only know of using a driver that does not have this issue. I know that this happened on some cards for some version of Nvidia drivers. There is some sort of issue that prevents some drivers from compiling shaders with arrays that were decomposed from GLSL-generator but I never found out why.

Last edited:
Hello I'm having the same problem, the game works pretty neat before, using the nvidia drivers 361.28.1 I have archlinux, I try all the suggestion you said and the game just keep crashing, black screen and then back to the desktop.

Open ~/.bitsquid/Magicka2/user_config.config and change the with "ssao_enabled" and "dof_enabled" so they're set to false.
Hi, I have the same issue and I find myself in a difficult situation. The configuration file doesn't exist at all for me because I was never able to start the game successfully (I don't have optimus). Can someone give me an example configuration file?