• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(58754)

Recruit
Jul 7, 2006
EU3!! I can't believe I've only just found out about this now! :D

A plea to mighty Paradox:

Please, please consider also publishing your games for linux and mac.

There are a lot of us out here and usually the effort required isn't monumental. It really is a pain trying to emulate the games. It often takes several years before the game can be considered "playable", if it ever even get that far. A native version is what we really need and I hope you will take this into consideration.

I am aware that it states in the requirements that "other operating systems are not supported", so no use in pointing me there..

Bristi, hi from a full-time Mac user. I have no Windows machines at home so I share your pain (or your relief --- less native Mac games means more time spent on productive things like work and family. Just kidding. We can always find other ways to spend time).

The new Macs now run Windows natively... this fact, both joyful and sad, means that (1) Mac Owners can play more games and (2) less games will be ported for OS X.

With my Mac nowadays, I run OSX, Windows and Linux, so I don't really care which OS a given program is for.

Having said that, I hope a third party ports EU 3 to Mac very fast. If it doesn't happen, I'll simply fire up my Parallels or Bootcamp and play the mainstream, Windows version.

I'm just being realistic. Mac users are a very small percentage of gamers -- what, 3-5% or less? Not sure about Linux; would it be another 3-5%? I'd imagine that most Linux users dual boot into Windows anyway.

I'd prefer the Developer to focus 100% of their effort on where 90% of the consumer market is and come up with the best product they can. I don't want them to spend 50% of the effort on 10% of the market.

linux rocks. i know it is impossible but i would love to see EU3 running on linux. then i could screw vmware over for good :)

praxiteles said:
linux rocks. i know it is impossible but i would love to see EU3 running on linux. then i could screw vmware over for good :)

there was a thread already about this and it looks that we're not going to get EU3 in Linux.
Anyway I would be thankful if it could be tested to work easily on winex or cedega before final release.

Slightly OT:

Not been able to play Paradox games with Linux is the only thing that prevents me from erasing xp from my system.

I have ubuntu 6.06 and the wine. I can install games, but they don't load. If any one has a good how to do link, I would appreciate that.

Is Cedaga better than wine? Is it worth the price?

Gaute65 said:
Slightly OT:

Not been able to play Paradox games with Linux is the only thing that prevents me from erasing xp from my system.

I have ubuntu 6.06 and the wine. I can install games, but they don't load. If any one has a good how to do link, I would appreciate that.

Is Cedaga better than wine? Is it worth the price?

cedega is supposed to be better, I mean, you are charged to use it, I mean, if it doesn't work on wine is not worth it , is it? ;)

Cedega implments a better DirectX support and CD protection support than wine and regularly gets code from Wine (I haven't heard Transgaming contributing to Wine though :rolleyes: ) Paradox games do run on my Wine, but are very slow due to the vast number of small bmps that are loaded. Btw Cedega can be gotten for free (whithout CD protection support as it is patented) in a CSV source, though it's a pain in the a to compile, and some speculate that they purposefully share broken code.

All that said, I'd like to have a naitive Linux/Unix port of EUIII and all PE games anyway :D .

By the time I switch to linux (i.e. I get my own computer, this one is not actually mine) hopefully there will be a way to use paradox games on it with decent performance. I have a deep resentment for microsoft and I sin every time I think of it and Bill Gates (because I think evil thoughts).

The fact that empires are commonly known to last in excess of 500 years is enough to give me the shudders, though...

Now I have installed Cedega. I have installed DD and CK. DD runs perfect, start up maybe a little slower than with xp. The same with CK, only problem so far is that i have no music when playing CK.

Edit: It takes much longer time to install the game in Cedega than in XP.

Last edited:
Gaute65 said:
Now I have installed Cedega. I have installed DD and CK. DD runs perfect, start up maybe a little slower than with xp. The same with CK, only problem so far is that i have no music when playing CK.

Edit: It takes much longer time to install the game in Cedega than in XP.
It's due to the many small files (.BMPs mostly) and not good incorporation of InstalShield in Cedega. Wine's instalation's faster, but you'd have to import registry setings into Cedega then.

I'd preffer native Linux versions, as win32 API emulation is just make do, and sometimes lacks in performance and stability.

bristi said:
There are a lot of us out here and usually the effort required isn't monumental. It really is a pain trying to emulate the games.

I don't know much about porting games, but I have tried to port simple C programs from Linux to Windows. Not even that is as fast as you'd want it to be.

There are however lots of interesting things happening in Win32/64 emulation:
  • Alky is a new project aimed at porting Windows high performance games to Mac and Linux from binaries (not from source).
  • Google has ported Picasa to Linux with Winelib and Google Earth with Qt. I hope other companies will follow.
  • Wine is now available on Macs through Darwine and CrossOver Office
  • Wine now has some limited SafeDisc support
  • CrossOver will start to support World of Warcraft

I sure hope to run EU3 on Wine. I don't own and will not get a copy of Windows.

actually Microsoft should be greatly thankful to the game insdustry as other than a few specific applications (I, for instance, still depend on the Macromedia package,...yes, Gimp is over me :D and bluefish-quanta doesn't fulfill my needs yet, :) quite close though.) windows' breach of usability and compatibility (in the Microsoft-ish sense of the word :rolleyes: ) is really narrow.

Carewolf2 said:
I too would buy EUIII for Linux.

Then again without a Linux version I would just buy the Windows version and run it on my aging Win2000.
You'd most probably would be able to wine it too. Although there is a discussion in Linux gamer community whether tools as Wine and Cedega do more harm than good. After all what would be the motivation to port your games for Linux, when Linux gamers would just whine for a while then emulate it via Wine or Cedega. AFAIK Playstation 3 has a Linux OS on it so there will be a rise of native Linux games I hope.