• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cyrus_The_Great

Generalissimo
9 Badges
Jun 27, 2006
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
L’impero Marittimo di Genova
La Storia

###***** READ THIS FIRST*****####
Before reading this keep the following in mind, there may be long times without an update (I am in highschool and train actively for a sport). Another thing is that I am not very good at this game still and theonly game iv actually finished was one as Austria (which was quite successful) but it was on easy/easy. Iv been trying some other countries to start an AAR with for some time and after playing genoa about 10 decided to start one. That brings me to another point, I didn’t start recording anything in this game until the date of thte picture below, 1428. Up till then it will be an overview of what went on and there wont be any exacts or screenshots. Also, If I am failing terribly at this country or something hhappens I cant handle I might abandon the AAR.
On that note, I will begin.
A brief history of genoa:
Before Roman Rule, Genoa was an ancient town under rule of the “ligures”. Under Roman Rule, Genoa thrived as a city and grew to be very large and a semi-major port. Around the 10th century, Genoa was a free commune and was governed by councils, and began to expand. In the 11th century, Genoa was able to drive the arabs out of the islands of Sardinia and Corsica. This formed a rivalry with Pisa over the islands, and in 1284 in the battle of Meloria, Genoa emerged victorious. Genoa actively participated in the crusades, which resulted in a gain of great and enormous wealth for the city. It acquired trading possessions and control of places from Iberia to Crimea. Genoa’s biggest rivalry which had been brewing for some time was the Republic of Venice, which was one of the other biggest maritime powers in the Mediterranean. This rivalry, resulted in many wars, which ended with the Peace Of Turin in 1381, which favored Venice over Genoa. During this time the Genoese Republic was being weakened by inner strife between the Guelphs, or Nobles, and the Ghivellines, or the Popular Party. As Genoa began to gain control of more cities in Liguria, it lost many of its outer posessions. In 1408 a bank was formed by a group of merchants, which largely financed Genoa during the past years (although it didn’t become organized until 1408), Il Banco San Giorgino.

Genoa 1419-1428:
Francesco Visconti was at a relatively good position ruling Genoa, although he wasn’t the greatest leader. Visconti, although he wasn’t the greatest leader, had a relatively good idea. Thinking that in the past few years, Genoa’s outer possessions had only brought trouble, he thought it would be easiest to first expand within the Italian peninsula, just like the Romans did before expanding to far away places. First, he granted independence to his possessions in Crimea, which formed the kingdom of Cuman, and had to pay Visconti tribute each month. The people were very satisfied, and now Visconti decided to carry out the other part of his plan, to unite some of the Italian states. He joined an alliance along with Ablania and Naples and Aragon, who were at war with Sienna, Tuscany, Papal States, Duchy of Athens and Modena. An army was sent to Modena first, where the soldiers after being caught off guard pillaging a small village, were defeated and forced to retreat. After another few 1000s of infantry were trained, another attempt was made to attack Modena. This time, the army being well prepared, won relatively easily and a few months later was captured. After denying a military annexation proposal, our allies Albania accepted peace with them, receiving only 50 ducats. Visconti was in tears at this, since he wanted the region for himself, with its farms. Visconti’s Army was in the middle of a siege in Florence, when the kingdom of Savoy joined the alliance against him. Immediately, a few 100 men were sent to occupy the towns in the mountainous regions, as Savoy’s fleet transported its entire army to attack the islands of Baleares. As Florence became taken over, the fleet of Genoa engaged the Papal States Fleet consisting of 10 warships, also as the Duchy of Athens annexed Albania, and I became leader of the alliance. We won against the Papal States at sea quite easily, and quickly the men attacking Florence started being transported to Savoy. After outsmarting the navy of Savoy, they were left with no navy and their men stuck on the Baleares. The Florentines, gave in to peace on 100ish ducats and vasalization, to be annexed later. Savoy quickly fell to our forces, and Torino was annexed, and 150 ducats given to us for the peace terms. To settle peace with the rest of the alliance, 50 ducats were offered. Genoa now looked like this. (The next updates will include screenshots, and the reasons for there having been none were explained above).

Last edited:
Good first war. Clever getting rid of the Crimean millstone.

Thank you everyone, a quick note (i edited it) was that Aragon was in the alliance as well.
I am not quite sure whether or not to do major colonizing, although right now my plan is sort of to vassalize the italian states and later annex.
Also since i repeat im not the greatest at this game, any comments or suggestions on anything would be great, whether its strategy in a war or what to do next.
Another update coming soon btw, but dont expect them this often (I had a good amount of free time.)
I hope everyone who has read enjoys my style of writing and everything too, and again please comment/suggest.

Last edited:
Part II
In the June of 1929, as Visconti was eating his pranzo, (big lunch), a herald came into his room, “Aragon has just declared war on England and Navarra, shall we take action?” Visconti took a few days to contemplate, but later decided to join the war, just giving naval aid but not actually launching an invasion. Biaggio Asserto, left Corsica, where he had been stationed to sail for the English channel and coast of france, where a plan was made with Jean VI le Sage of Brittany to be able to dock at their ports. The first major test of the Genoese Navy was about to happen.
The first battle with the Royal English Navy, was only against 3 of their ships, and was an easy victory, a little later in the channel, a major victory was made against their 18 warships.

As they retreated, The fleet of Biaggio went in a persuit, where a second fast victory was made. Genoa continued to win 8 more major naval battles with England, resulting in their Navy being reduced to insignifance. The war ended with Aragon gaining a land from Navarra and Navarra becoming a vassal, while Genoa gained some 50 ducats. Navarra was forced to give up half their land and become a vassal of Aragon, who were very grateful for me having protected their shores from any invaders from England. Later on, Biaggio Asserto returned to his home city of Geneva, victorious and a hero. Europe was beginning to recognize Genoa as a naval power, and Visconti knew although the Navy could prevent invasion from countries not bordering Genoa, if countries that’s borders touched declared war, Visconti secretly knew Genoa would face his doom. The army of Genoa started to expand, and Visconti swore to go a little more towards land as soon as possible(we were almost completely sea, after Visconti made a mistake to go a step further).
Visconti, after merchants were brutally mugged by a guild of merchants from Napoli, decided he would tolerate nothing, and military action was taken.

A quick battle was won against the army, and everyone of their men was slaughtered in pursuit and the coastal city of Napoli was quickly taken over. Visconti, in his old age, made a decision that would later be questioned, to annex Napoli. The rest of Europe didn’t respond positively to it, but Visconti wanted to make sure he was remembered. He offered many of his beautiful daughters to other countries to secure good relations, however, and had a statue erected of him.

He died weeks later, and Isnardo Gaurco rose to the throne, a much better leader (stat wise)

His main goals were to raise the economy of the country, stay relatively peaceful and improve relations, but if military action was required by an ally, he would most likely defend them and stand next to them. He was in support of having a Navy and Army in case it was needed however.

Less than a year later, he mysteriously died…(lol?), and he had the same goals as Isnardo…coincidentally.

Nice beggining. I'll follow.

Well done in asserting some naval dominance. Good practice for what I hope will be the climatic clash with Venice.

Leumatiello: Thanks :D

Sir Sean: Im thinking about it, the problem is at this point my army still isnt really strong, and in a war with a power like them i wouldnt be able to rely as much on naval dominance, as opposed to someone like castille (who i have no plans of war with) i may be able to keep them from gaining a succesful landing.

Stnylan: Thank you, yes although i cant promise a clash with Venice theres a 90% chance of one. :D

Duke of Wellington: Yes, I was starting to think annexation of naples wasnt the greatest choice, although it definitely wasnt aweful. My reasons at first were when picking up some men remaining in CUman i realized my fleets couldnt even make it there without suffering attrition, (although i could of used them as a vassal for that) and also the fact that i wanted a greater foothold on Italy for further invasions/ (and it just wasnt at all a bad province). And, in case of a conflict resulting from this (most countries still are nuetral with me,) bordering neighbors have royal marriages with us.

Also any tips on what to do/how to do it/what to write/how to write it tell me.

Last edited:
You are almost certain to face the papacy in a struggle for southern Italy. They have the provinces around Naples. If they do not have allies, that would be a good time to fight them on land , gain provinces from them and make them your vassals. In time, building your relations back up with them you can make them your allies.

PART III
Around 1436, tensions were rising between the Genoese Throne and The Papal States. The Pope, Eugenius IV, ordered an act which would divide the growing empire of Genoa, into two sections, in an effort to balance power in Italy. We however rejected, and as tension grew, finally decided to declare war on behalf of the unity of Genoa. And so, Aragon, Tuscany and Us were now in a full scale war with a large part of Italy, this would be the first test where the Genoese Army would be my lifeline. We were at war with Papal States, Savoy, Duchy of Athens and Sienna, who were already involved in a conflict with Austria and some of North Italy.
Armies from Genoa with a Combined force from Tuscany besieged and scoured the farmlands of Modena, with the Florentine General in charge. Meanwhile a Genoese force based in Napoli marched north into Marche.

As the war raged on, Tuscany captured Modena and annexed the city into its own realm, which Campofregoso was happy about, as the Tuscans were our vassals and we had plans of annexation later on for them. He realized as he helped the Florentines (which Tuscany will be referred too, rather than Tuscans), then as the day of annexation came he would gain more land, we would just somehow have to prevent them from getting to big. We then marched our army invading Modena into Romagna, owned by the papal states, and won a battle against them there. An army was raised to deal with the men of Savoy. Savoy was now posing to be a major threat, and our armies weren’t making much progress there at all. Finally, enough money from a 50 ducat Duchy of Athens Peace enabled us to raise an army in Genoa, and drive the pillagers out of Piemonte. A peace was finally made, with no gains for Savoy or Genoa. Meanwhile, after taking over the ancient city of Roma, we compromised with the Papal States and annexed Marche. The ever pushing armies of Savoy and hindered us from finishing the Papal war and vassalizing them, although the time for that would hopefully later come.

The next years were truly to be devoted to peace and restoration, and for another 10 years no plans for war were made at all. Much money was made, and relations were improved. Aragon, hungry for power, declared war on a French alliance, and lacking the manpower and army needed at the time we declined. As we entered an alliance with Tuscany, a new emperor was elected. Lodovico Di Campofregoso [See stats below].
He also ordered a map to be made of Europe.

Throughout mainland Europe, strange rumors began to fly around of lands across the ocean, as Portugal has been mysteriously sending ships with colonial supplies and men across the ocean into the unknown.

Then, in 1450, Biaggio Asserto, the great naval commander who had fought in wars with England, Savoy, Papal States, Duchy of Athens and Tuscany, passed away. A statue to honor him was constructed, hopefully to stand for years to come.

As the young new leader, Campofragosso, he was power hungry. The country lost plans of peace as nobility noticed his increasing Jealousy of the Pope, and want for power and money of the Vatican. Could this lead to future conflict.........

I hope this update was long enough...I dont know if im making this interesting enough. Please...comment on my writing. I tried to do a little forshadowing at the end. Am i putting too many screenshots, (i really need help on the writing of this, i already played alittle further ahead into the game.)

Im reading some more AARS and i think a good idea would be to talk a little more about the king of the country (his attitude, what he does as he makes decisions "in the royal gardens, he pondered a war etc etc...) would this be good? Or talking more about what goes on in the battles, making up some strategy that went on?

Last edited:
I personally find your writing interesting. I would just suggest that you break up the paragraphs of more than 5 or 6 lines to make it a little easier to read (only a very minor thing).

As for writing from the perspective of the king etc then I say give it a go it can't do any harm. Ultimately if you feel comfortable writing like this then do so. You'll get more used to it as you go along. I look back at my first first AAR posts and don't like them at all but with experience it has, in my opinion, improved.

Well you've quite a good history-book AAR going here. If you want to try and bring another perspective, branch out to a fresh horizon so to speak, do go ahead and try it out. AARs are always good for experimentation.

Oh, and keep the length to whatever's reasonable given what is happening and your own time constraints. Some will be shorter, some will be longer.

Personally I really like your "style" writing. It's to the point and says whats happening and what is beign thought at the time. The biggest turn off from AAR's from me, not that I read alot of them, are the bits if dialogue the writer makes up. I just find it extremely boring. One thing that in my opinion wouldn't be all that bad is a little more detail on what happens in times of peace. I know they are fairly boring times to write about and not alot is said but it links things up well. Again I like the styling, nice and neat and to the point. OH and me likes the lots of screenies. Lots of them and I'll always keep coming back. Good Job and I'll definitly be checking in for the next one.