• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Operation Starfall - 1st Duxanek
Operation Starfall - 1st Duxanek

One of the colony's difficulties is that they are fighting a much bigger scope than what Naomi allocated for; she anticipated a support staff to combat staff ratio of a hundred times what she has had to redeploy to. One of the consequences is that the treatment facilities built in orbit I have had to reorganise into merely triage centres, with shuttles taking wounded down to Unity.

On the ground I have my hospitals of course. But things are going to be brutal. There's nowhere near enough medication, for example; these things take time and resources to construct, and eighteen days isn't enough to set up new manufacturing facilities. The manufacturing base was designed to supply the colony's regular usage, with a stockpile to support the colony's original combat projections. But, equally they were run on 8 hour shifts before, and it was not hard to get volunteers to run 24 hours a day in the run up when I explained the issue. But there's potentially a million combatants.

By three weeks time, I'll be rationing medical supplies.

So when the mining pods return with the first injured, my team and I go into action.

Eighteen days is obviously not enough time to train someone to be a doctor.

But it is enough to teach them basics like first aid - which Naomi did try to organise on a "being able to look after members of your own race" basis, which for some doesn't help all that much; Xenayan medical care largely consists of comforting the dying for example, as their traditional medical technology is so primitive - distributing medicine, making casts, supergluing appropriate wounds, simpler stuff. It frees up my medical staff to focus on what really needs trained medics for.

Once the first pod returns, our battle begins.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Operation Starfall - 1st Tryykad

We Kyaese have always been a peaceful people, and when MSI came, we lacked any capacity to fight back. They just...

They took us from freedom in the vast skies of The Infinite Wheel and put us in confinement in boxes until our very identity had broken, even taking our eggs for food...

I keep having the same dream. I stand on the Captain's chair on the bridge of an MSI vessel viewing our ancestral home from far above. I believe that I must lead my people home.

But we can't go back; not while MSI are a threat. So here we are.

I remember this. Every comrade's broken body, every time we duck behind cover to reload our recoilless rifles and rocket launchers.

I don't know which Human Naomi quotes when she recites "the price of liberty is eternal vigilance", but it definitely needs adding "and is paid in blood". As soon as the MSI security forces worked out that the stronger Kyaese were carrying explosives, they started targeting us first. Duxanek keeps me informed about Kyaese casualties... It makes me feel sick.

But we try. We've developed a lot of good tactics that we can rely on. We've already learned to fight in groups; in teams we can cover each other while others reload - slow but consistently making progress.

Us Kyaese are all pushing into the ship aiming for the civilian decks. It is the logical route for us - MSI should send their better soldiers against the Humans, Lokra-Kitan and the Xenaya, as they are much more dangerous than us. If we can break through and start getting the crew to surrender, we can have a much better chance of capturing the ship, and blocking a self-destruct action.

And while I am definitely not a fan of the accepting Olinbar defectors approach, I can't deny the logic that Naomi and Valerius argue; we need to leave the Olinbar a way out instead of fighting to the death. The way I see it, this is an opportunity to acid test the underlying assumption that Olinbar would surrender instead of dying.

What a bloody mess war is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Operation Starfall - 1st Alexandra
Operation Starfall - 1st Alexandra
There is an ancient maxim of war; to the winner goes the spoils. In ancient times, it was considered a way to make a living; Thucydides recorded such about piracy. Even the acquisition of glory doing so.

So, my goal is simple - take the Flagship. I don't have to worry too much - Naomi has already agreed that I can have it, she knows that MSI won't be afraid of her having the Flagship, but they will be afraid of me having it.

Still, it does me no good to get it by default; I want Naomi to recognise that I took the ship, not for her to grant it to me.

Which leaves a race to Engineering, and the main computer.

Whoever gets there first, wins.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I want Naomi to recognise that I took the ship, not for her to grant it to me.

Which leaves a race to Engineering, and the main computer.

Whoever gets there first, wins.
I really want to warn Alexandra that racing to a battlefield objective is a horrible idea.

I've written a "race to engineering" before. The bodycount was very high. ;)

Well, that was an interesting perspective on battle. It helps characterize our protagonists, and the description of how useful armor is was nice.

Let Fall The Rain as a battle command, huh? What does that refer to?

War is definitely not portrayed positively here. Except by Alexandra. I suppose that says a lot about her.

Operation Starfall - Cohortes Praetoriae
Operation Starfall - Cohortes Praetoriae
Alexandra

I see her with my one good eye, and I sprint towards her. "Naomi! Not this way!"

She stops her advance as she sees me and my remaining Companions, and too turns around. The Xenaya follow quickly. We talk as we retreat. "What happened?"

"Praetorians. We were pursuing retreating conscripts towards Engineering, and we got to the antechamber. They gunned down their own men to take us out, I was lucky that one of them took a face full of plasma, it meant only the left side of my face has melted." I show her what remains of my right hand; thumb, forefinger and middle finger are gone.

"How many pursue us?"

"An embarrassingly small amount."

"How many?"

"There's just six. Total."

She digs through her memory. "They must be the Shareholder's personal guards." She keeps thinking, and consults her map. "There's three corridors that lead into the antechamber to Engineering. We could try an assault from all three corridors at once, or we could attempt to lure them away... Would they realise that out of a flock of Kyaese and charging Xenaya, the first are actually carrying weapons to beat them?"

I think about their armour. "I don't think we can. We might be able to knock them over."

"We need Engineering. And we need them stopped." She pauses again. "I have an idea." She turns around, the Xenaya part for her so that she can see past them. "Imperatrix-Actual to Central, we have cohortes praetoriae. Request advice."

She winces as Valerius shouts an expletive loud enough to hear from her radio. That's not good. Naomi looks at us. "He suggested we change plan."

"What kind of change?"

"Evacuate and destroy the ship kind of change."

"That bad?"

"They've got human-portable zero-point reactors. Force-field integrated semi-neutronium armour, personal shields, plasma rifles, RCS thrusters..." Her voice trails. "Unless they make a mistake, we can't beat them." A Xenaya looks behind us, and shoves her - a plasma bolt just misses her. We run. We run and we run and we run.

Buri shouts. "We need to split them up, we'll have a much better chance when they aren't together."

Naomi looks frightened. Conflicted. "Yes, you're right." She consults the map as we run, and passes the details to Buri's Second, Wami. She addresses all of us. "The nearest hangar is on this deck. She fiddles with her communicator, weighing up the options. She puts it back. She turns to Buri. "I love you."

He nuzzles her. "I love you too."

Our forces split as more plasma shots fly from behind us.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really want to warn Alexandra that racing to a battlefield objective is a horrible idea.

I've written a "race to engineering" before. The bodycount was very high. ;)
Indeed. Fast advance, low casualties - pick one.

Well, that was an interesting perspective on battle. It helps characterize our protagonists, and the description of how useful armor is was nice.

Let Fall The Rain as a battle command, huh? What does that refer to?

War is definitely not portrayed positively here. Except by Alexandra. I suppose that says a lot about her.

While the Starship Troopers references are more obvious, "Let fall the Rain" is a reference to another military science fiction series; Red Rising ("Win. Bear the guilt. Reign." is also a quotation from it) where the logistical challenge of dropping of men and materiel to conquer an entire planet from orbit in a day or so is called an Iron Rain.

I would definitely recommend it; Darrow O'Lykos is someone who inspired Naomi's characterisation in this narrative. I'd say more if I wasn't supposed to have left for work five minutes ago...

Edit - the thought occurs that the compressed timescale enables me to bring in the sci-fi media that Naomi and Thando grew up with in a better way than discussing it out of character, but has far more narrative significance if it was a discussion in character as the characters we know from Life2.0 discuss the media that Thando brings with him when he arrives. Which does seem a lot more interesting than a dry comparison.

Last edited:
Operation Starfall - 2nd Duxanek
Operation Starfall - 2nd Duxanek

It's been two hours since the battle began.

Medical staff wise, we are coping. I've had some surprise resignations from not being able to mentally and emotionally deal with treating combat injuries; I had hoped to conduct the training in a way that minimised that, but I under-estimated the amount of people who would stick through training and try and persevere beyond what they could cope with.

It's a real pain because you can never have too many medics when you are fighting this kind of battle while still having a combat-effective force, but I admire them for trying as hard as they could.

It definitely doesn't help that my field medics have taken a lot of casualties - it seems MSI never got the memo about not shooting medics. Galactic Community legislation clearly defines medical staff as not to be attacked or killed; there's standardised uniforms and insignia, RFID tags etc. defined in law to clearly identify medics. You are allowed to capture them as prisoners of war subject to being allowed to continue treating their wounded and evaluate medical skills and knowledge in appropriate fields for their operational circumstances to rule out people faking being medics; the legislation itself declares that a war crime requiring prosecution by the Galactic Community War Crimes Tribunal.

But systematically shooting medics first is completely in violation of the law, and I have proof.

I briefed Naomi on it, Valerius briefed Naomi on it. As a result, as soon as she found out, she had video and audio recording equipment brought in with the next reinforcements.

I assume that they believe that rebels wouldn't know this, or survive to bring prosecution, and therefore that they can do it without consequences.

But I am so furious about it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Freedom Of Slaves
"The Freedom Of Slaves"
Rivkah Of Unity

It's a long retreat. We get whittled down as we run... Mum was right about armies dying in routs. It's better than the alternative though, the plasma burns are horrific. I've never seen so many dead Xenaya... I can't close my eyes, I can't open my eyes without seeing them fallen, burned. Limbs severed and holes vaporised. It's scary, we're wearing armour that basically allows us to ignore firearms, and their weapons just...

Turn everything they hit to super hot gas.

We get back to the hangar, but the doors are locked down. We cannot get out.

They are coming.

"What's our plan, Mum?"

She looks around. We're completely cornered. But, she's thinking.

"Mum?"

She nuzzles me.

Olinbar soldiers enter from almost every door. Some are afraid, even now. Unfortunately not the ones we need to be afraid - the Olinbar commander steps forward, flanked by his Praetorians, as his men stand down. Not just stand down, but gloat - their helmets retract into their armour and they leer arrogantly, weapons at their sides. One stares as he sweeps his view cross us, before miming a blade across the throat.

And there's nothing I can do about it. I feel so impotent... Is this how it ends for us?

Their leader struts out. "You have fought bravely, but you are defeated. However, I, Marcus Licenius, am not without my mercy. We know this rebellion is led by Naomi HaMaadimi, daughter of Atalyah HaMaadimi. If she will step forward, the rest of you will not be executed."

Hush descends while Mum thinks it over, until she stands. "I am Naomi HaMaadimi."

Alexandra smiles, leaps to her feet shouting "I'm Naomi!"

Other Humans start joining in. Even the men, although most of them are laughing too much.

Must be a cultural thing.

I figure that if we're going down, we may as well go down defiant to the end. I leap up too, and roar it out, and pretty soon everyone not dead is yelling out, or trying to. Marcus looks at his guards, and shakes his head amid our heckling. He addresses his troops. "Present weapons."

As one, they take up a firing line, and lift their arms.

"Take aim."

He looks directly at Mum, one last time, lifting his own weapon to aim straight at her. Mum smiles knowingly, staring straight past him.

Then, there is a noise that I know so very well, echoing through my memories from my earliest childhood onward.

Capacitors discharging.

The scream of red-hot metal straining against a barrel.

Dad is back. And he's just blasted off Marcus' head.​

• 1Like
Reactions:
Operation Starfall - Escalation
Operation Starfall - Escalation
Rivkah Of Unity

Dad wasn't alone.

Realising that his team weren't getting followed - why would they, it was obviously an attempt to divide them, they weren't going to fall for that - Dad immediately sought to turn the battle around. Got Valerius to link him up with other formations, and by the time he exploited Mum using herself as bait he had a mixed arms formation.

And with the seven best equipped Olinbar now down, the rest of the Olinbar in the hangar surrendered rather than be eaten.

While he and Mum were reuniting, Valerius found out about a big problem.

"Central to all, self-destruct system has been activated. Tactical advance protocols active."

I run to my parents. They're a bit distracted by cuddling each other. I interrupt. "Mum, Dad, focus."

They stop nuzzling. Mum asks first. "What's happening?"

"They've activated the self-destruct."

Mum rolls her eyes. "Urgh, why can't... Imperatrix-Actual to Central, status report."

"Self-destruct system has been activated. I've halted further deployments, and dispatched recovery shuttles."

"Anything we can do to stop it?"

"Negative; cooling system has been vented to space deliberately."

It doesn't make sense. "Why vent the cooling system?"

Mum turns to me. "Because they can make the power consumption systems melt the ship without cooling." She pauses. "Imperatrix-Actual to Central, is there a possibility this is a distraction to make us withdraw?"

"They've vented the cooling system. We have hundreds of thousands of litres of coolant being ejected from the refilling ports. It's for real. Heat dissipation will start melting the ship in ten minutes - remember, this ship uses orders of magnitude more power than anything we have."

I pause to feel the surroundings. Not much difference here, but this is just a hangar...

"Are we in a position for contingency plan six?"

I search my memory. Six... Six was the controversial one about rescuing Olinbar with our forces. Valerius replies after a long wait. "I'm not sure there's enough time for us to recover our fallen as well as surrendered opposition."

"Understood." Mum pauses. She looks to our new captives. "Imperatrix-Actual to all; enemy have sabotaged their vessel by emptying the coolant. Critical ship functions will melt in minutes, and the ship as a whole will be scrap metal in a matter of hours. We are disengaging. Confirm, disengaging. Update to follow."

She walks over to the Olinbar conscripts. They've been disarmed and bound. "Your leadership has decided to destroy this ship. You have a choice - follow our orders, or become prisoners of war, or we leave you behind. Say you can follow orders and don't and I will feed you to them." She points at us Xenaya. "Who wants to stay on the ship?"

Several stand. A few more join them. Peer pressure means that eventually they all stand.

"Suit yourselves." Mum turns to the rest of us. "We're leaving. Imperatrix-Actual to all, follow operational protocol regarding Olinbar prisoners."

Alexandra turns to Mum. "We need the ship Naomi."

Mum looks at her. "Alexandra, it's over. We won, and the enemy would rather spitefully destroy the Flagship than live. We'll pick through anything useful once it cools down."

Alexandra looks at the floor. "I... Just thought that maybe we could press on."

"We have to move." She looks around.

The walls are smashed up.

Chunks have been blasted out.

Most of the ship isn't even airtight now.

A lot is radioactive.

I look at Alexandra. "Honestly, the damage we've done is so much that it would be easier to build a new Flagship than fix this one."

She looks around, and eventually nods. "Yeah. You're right." She sits, and she cries as the emotion gets to her. I put my arms around her. Her face is that of someone who was told the future, and has found it was something else altogether.

She looks at me. At Naomi. It's starting to feel warm. Mum is talking to Valerius, I talk to Alexandra.

"Are you ok?"

She sobs. "I failed."

I smile. "Hey, we beat the Flagship. That's the important thing."

She smiles. "True."

Shuttles begin arriving. I look at Mum. Dad stands with her. I join them. "Why are we waiting?"

Mum nuzzles Dad. "First in, last out. We'll oversee the retreat."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Operation Starfall - Extraction
Operation Starfall - Extraction
Tryykad

"Imperatrix-Actual to all; enemy have sabotaged their vessel by emptying the coolant. Critical ship functions will melt in minutes, and the ship as a whole will be scrap metal in a matter of hours. We are disengaging. Confirm, disengaging. Update to follow."

This sentence.

Yeah.

This one.

This one right here.

Do you know how much chaos it is when you have captured hundreds of prisoners, and that message comes over the comms?

That was not part of the deal!

We had gotten through to the civilian sections having blasted our way through the astrometrics laboratory, and we were making a right mess of the place; wiped out internal and external sensors. Don't blame me, it wasn't my idea to give the Kyaese rocket launchers. That's on Naomi. And things were going really, really well. Olinbar civilians are very compliant when faced with an angry bird with a rocket launcher. So compliant in fact, that we had run out of handcuffs. We were feeling like we could win this thing.

Then that message comes!

Half the civilians panicked because they were in handcuffs and tied together, and the other half tried to break out. We had to shoot some of the ones who tried to break free. Some pointed out how immoral it was to shoot prisoners, but I quickly silenced them by pointing out what they'd do if the positions were reversed. I've now got to get the remaining ones to a shuttlepod and get them off ship.

And of course, MSI don't pack enough EVA suits. Or escape pods. And well, we're a few internal doors from the bit we had to shoot through with our rocket launchers to get this far in. And I'm guessing that, with a hull reminisent of a sieve, there's not enough air to breathe. Ugh. And just to rub it in, she then says this:

"Imperatrix-Actual to all, follow operational protocol regarding Olinbar prisoners."

Do you know what that means? I now have to get these people off the ship...

I look at my warriors.

They look at me.

I turn to the Olinbar. They look at me. Right now, I'm looking at the enemy. Thousands of us have died to get this bunch of prisoners. And no ship. Apart from the scrap of course. I close my eyes. Breathe. Take out my communicator. "Tryykad to Imperatrix-Actual, I have a few hundred captured Olinbar civilians. What do you want me to do to them?"

"Put me through to them."

I turn back to the Olinbar. "You're live boss."

"I will restate the standing offer to all Olinbar: Your leadership has decided to destroy this ship, with you still on it. This leaves you the choices of dying on the ship, joining us, or becoming prisoners of war. Remember that you live now because I would have you join us."

I raise my voice. "You heard the lady. Choose."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ex-Boyfriend
"Ex-Boyfriend"
Naomi Of Unity

One of my fellow Companionship Assets, Gillian, shouts to me. "Hey tart, delivery plus one."

I turn. My first response, a tiny fraction of a second, is to wonder why she's pushed a rather overweight Olinbar off a trolley onto the floor. He is very ornately attired, wearing a Shareholder's robe. That must be why then.

He's slowly coming around.

Wait.

Oh, my...

I know him.

"Gaius?"

His face turns white.

"Goryhell, it is you Gaius."

Buri comes over. "Who is he?"

"He's Gaius Licenius."

He tries to squirm away, mumbling something; Gillian makes him stay. Buri figures it out. He puts an arm around me. "He raped you."

I advance on him. "Tell me Gaius, do you remember what you said to me, on the twelfth of Aprilis?"

He nervously looks at Buri. "I... I don't quite recall."

My sword stops one millimetre from his throat. "Think a bit harder."

He very carefully gulps. "Was that the day I said you were as beautiful as Venus?"

I scowl.

"Or was that the eleventh..."

"That was the eleventh. The twelfth was the day you leased me just so that you could have me bend over, shove that thing of yours somewhere unmentionable and then tell me you had gotten a proper girlfriend and that I wouldn't be seeing you again. They sent me to the docks after that."

He pulls away again. "I... I... I... Didn't know they would send you to the docks."

I draw blood.

Colour is coming back to his face. He gets up. "I suppose you think you are Juno now?"

"Unlike you, I'm not stupid enough to believe that I'm a living-god."

He draws himself up. Puffs his chest. "On this ship I am Jupiter."

"No. You're someone who needs reminding just how mortal he truly is."

He laughs. "I still like you Naomi. If you come be my whore again, I'll let you live."

Buri steps back. Everyone else follows. I speak to the air. "Give this man a blade so that I don't have to kill a defenseless man in cold blood."

"Brave words, slave."

I stare with all my wrath. "Gaius Licenius, I will offer you one chance to live. Acknowledge that I am your equal, and I will spare your life."

He accepts a sword from a defeated Olinbar soldier. He swishes it showing off. "The highest life in the galaxy can never bow to a slave."

He rushes me. His feet are sloppy, his arms overextend, he twirls and swings... Useless. I counter attack. Disarm him in a single blow, slicing off his fingers in the process, he scrambles to pick up again with the off hand. Rage pours through me. I visualise the way I am going to bleed him dry. Every strike he makes, I block. He breathes hard, face red. I toy with the idea of killing him through exhaustion.

I send sets into him; patterns of five, then six, then eight, then five. Not at pace, just slow enough for him to know he is prey. I sever several muscles calibrating just how much slower he is, and eventually one of them is his hamstring; he crashes on the floor.

I've learned from Vopisca.

He screams as I take his hands.​

I get in his face, my off-hand holding Hortensus' blade at his throat. "Yield to me."

He closes his eyes as blood pours into them from where I sliced his scalp. He summons his last strength in one word, spitting it out like a snake. "Never."

I run him through.

Several times.

Edited for narrative coherency.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Nice job, Naomi. That should give her some more closure.

I enjoyed the Spartacus scene, especially the bit where the enemy commander shared Crassus‘s first names.

I wonder if this experience humbled Alexandra…

Operation Starfall - Aftermath
Operation Starfall - Aftermath
Rivkah Of Unity

I lie on the ground, feeling the grass beneath my fur. I'm alive. I'm safe on Unity again.

It's over an hour before Mum and Dad left the ship; they waited until the very end, when everyone alive had been recovered. I went back with the Biters to clear room in the hangar bay.

I guess we won. We stopped the Flagship.

Total casualties?

Well, our side lost relatively few casualties; we had all the advantages after all. We could easily have swept the ship were it not for those six Praetorians. It's why they opted to take out the cooling system; it melts all the bits we would want to reuse in reconditioning the ship. It's now a molten, radioactive slab in the sky. We rescued/captured a little over a thousand Olinbar. Mum plans to interview them and figure out if any of them are compatible with the colony. If they can't be, then things look difficult long term.

Our casualties, because we never got to deploy everyone before the enemy destroyed the ship, are only a few thousand; the initial breeches suffered the bulk of the casualties. Everyone is being monitored though, the amount of nuclear bombs being detonated means Duxanek is restructuring the medical service to deal with cancers. Daas has started a new project in adapting power armour into a disability assisting framework.

Of those of us who faced the six Praetorians, well...

Half my Biters are gone; I need a new Second, as Zori passed from blood loss.

Dad lost a third of his Donkeys.

Alexandra has lost her Companions. So few survived that the unit has been disbanded, and Alexandra's injuries are enough she's never going to fight again; she's basically lost her right hand - and because Humans aren't ambidextrous, that's really bad for her - and her left eye. Duxanek's medics have tried their best, but she essentially has half a face. She's returned her shield.

We made it. Faced down a Flagship.

I hope we never have to do it again. I miss my parents. I miss my friends.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
"My Husband's Killer"
"My Husband's Killer"
Claudia Licenius

I look at the two of them. One is a Reformer. The other was my husband's prostitute. I weigh my options. "So, here's where we stand. I'm in a room with the woman who killed my husband, and a man who's exploiting their naivety so that he can get the social status he couldn't afford."

She wears two parazoniums, one is my husband's, and I don't recognise the other. "Claudia, I am hoping that you will see MSI for what it is."

"MSI is an organisation that uplifts ungrateful primitives like you-"

She slaps me!

"Shut up. You live because I am merciful. Don't forget it, or make me regret it. Your options are very limited. None of your wealth will save you here, none of your influence, no schemes or plots. You live for a single question - must I wage total and genocidal war that wipes out the Olinbar because of their nature as an existential threat at a species level, or can they be redeemed?"

"What exactly do you mean by redeemed?"

"Can you coexist with us as equals."

"You don't even know what you ask. We do coexist, each living as we merit. They may be some measure of tweaking required, but that does not mean massive restructuring or abolition of the Indentured Asset system that has raised living standards for billions."

She laughs. "So, in other words, because the system works for me, and I keep my slaves just well off enough to keep my conscience clear, it's essentially fine."

"You weren't a slave."

"So your husband never had me tied up while he enjoyed every part of my body that he could enter?"

"He could be a bit deviant, I agree. But you should have been grateful for the gifts he lavished on you too, I've seen the receipts."

"But never read the contract which states that it's at my expense."

"Of course, the clothes and jewelry he got you would be aiding your career, it's your duty to cover them. A career I add, that gave you prestige and access to the highest level of Olinbar society."

"As a toilet."

"Plenty of women found their freedom through working hard at being a Companionship Asset."

"A few highly publised examples from the fraction of a fraction of a percent means nothing when you consider the level of deprivation of the overwhelming majority of Companionship Assets. That is nothing but self-serving propaganda MSI puts out to justify industrialised prostitution."

"Nonsense. We gave you the opportunity to develop the connections with Olinbar children to build relationships that you could rely on into your adult working life. Then we put you into a position where you could then expand your availability from that base, making tools available to you to make it happen. And what did you do with that? Gaius supported you, and you killed him for it."

"You call coersion into being raped support?"

"You signed your affirmation form."

"Under duress."

"You could have opted out."

"No, I couldn't. You left out the part where threat of force is applied."

"You were repaying your debt to society."

"A society that kidnapped my parents from their homeworld, and auctioned them off."

"More accurately, took them from a primitive and devastated region and gave them far greater living standards, for which they exchanged labour to pay for."

"Under threat of force."

"Pacification methods are at times required as part of the uplifting process."

"Ever thought about why they are required?"

"Because ungrateful Assets like you exist."

She stands. "Claudia, any last words before I send you to Gaius?"

"You don't have the right." She draws my husband's parazonium. "Killing me with my husband's parazonium? What arrogance. You bind me to this chair so that I can't protect myself from your violence, and now you-"

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, it looks like the Olinbar can’t coexist. Let‘s hope that all of them aren‘t as intransigent as Claudia. Mind, she is biased here…

Yeah, the colony took less casualties, but they can‘t afford to replace them quickly, unlike MSI. A bright side is that Alexandra‘a fate probably prevents her declaring a civil war later.

Being honest, does the writing of the long-awaited Flagship encounter feel like it's fallen flat, that it has not lived up to the standard expected?

I feel like it has...

Yeah, it looks like the Olinbar can’t coexist. Let‘s hope that all of them aren‘t as intransigent as Claudia. Mind, she is biased here…

Yeah, the colony took less casualties, but they can‘t afford to replace them quickly, unlike MSI. A bright side is that Alexandra‘a fate probably prevents her declaring a civil war later.
Very biased; MSI Shareholder, slave owner, Indentured Asset leaser, and arguing with the woman who killed her husband.

Still, she was an opportunity to write the enemy rationale, how Olinbar perceive the world around them.

Alexandra isn't finished yet. More cautious yes, but that's no bad thing for her. The injuries the colony can fix; there's a lot of need for reconstructive surgery now.

• 1Like
Reactions: