• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The loss of potential warriors will hurt Life 2.0, but it might also ensure that they have allies against MSI...

It's amusing that Naomi started a matriarchy. Maybe she's just misinterpreting the sudden presence of more queens?

I'm in favor of @Macavity116's suggestion.

Precisely.

It's a Xenaya thing, hence why they're the only Imperial government among the races on Unity, the others are mostly democratic or benevolent dictatorships (Shendredie for example)

Naomi tried to encourage democratic forms of government to avoid descending into factions based on pre-MSI capture division.

Two votes for the Flagship then.

Homeward Bound, Part 2
"Homeward Bound, Part 2"
2nd Daas, 8 (2186)
Li Nakuma

"Welcome to the Colony News Service eight am broadcast. I'm your host Li Nakuma. There's bright blue sky above here at the Colony News Service. The big news this morning is that Vaki B'Than's proposal for taking all those who wish to return to their home worlds has officially been passed to Naomi. I have Naomi here in the studio right now. Naomi, would you explain how things stand at the moment?"

"Well, the proposal as laid out has the signatures of more than a million residents of Unity, and by extension, a further seven hundred thousand children who have agreed to a plan of taking the Freedom as a ship to tour the galaxy, returning people to their homeworlds to prepare them for future conflict with MSI as best as they can. The full text of the proposal has been posted on the Council Chamber noticeboard as usual, however the societal scope change this brings means I am putting this out to invite everyone to have their say."

"What is your stance?"

"We've known all along that some of us want to return home, while others want to make something new together. I will miss those who go, but I wish you well, and I will not stand in your way."

"As I introduced, Vaki B'Than is stated to be the leader of the movement. Is this true?"

"Yes. I have not been briefed on the full reasons why, but Lakoo has stepped down as leader of the Returner Movement, and Vaki B'Than leads now."

"You mentioned 1.7 million people. Can the freighter carry that many?"

"Not without modification. The proposals include a technical analysis by Bok-Nisam on how the colony can rework the vessel to make it carry this many people."

"And how long will it take?"

"Expected departure date is Snowfall Day, year 9."

"How long is the discussion period?"

"Two weeks; for something of this magnitude I'd prefer longer, but it would be too much delay to go further."

"Well folks, that gives two weeks to get your thoughts heard, and the full text of the proposal is on the noticeboard here at Hortensus' Folly."

• 1Like
Reactions:
1.7 million? How many people are in the colony total? How much of a setback is this?

1.7 million? How many people are in the colony total? How much of a setback is this?

The 1.7 million figure is based on the question:

"If you could be back on your homeworld tomorrow, would you go?"

Naomi uses this figure because she feels it is a rejection of her leadership and it worries her deeply. There's numerous subsequent questions to identify exactly how many people definitely want to go, and by the time you are down to:

"Our realistic projection is it could be ten years travel time, and we expect we must allocate a further few years for unplanned and planned non-traveling time. Unless your whole family here wants to come, it will mean leaving friends and family behind, and we will probably never see them again. If anything goes wrong on the ship, we cannot assume that we have the capability to repair it, and in worst case scenario we could easily end up stranded again, or killed. We do not know what is out there apart from the enemies who took us away, but it is reasonably foreseeable that we are probably doomed if we get into a fight. Lastly, we do not know what life will be like on our homeworlds, and for all we know, MSI interactions may have killed or captured everyone we knew, or caused our old societies to collapse. Despite these risks, are you still willing to go?"

At which point there's much less than a hundred thousand people who think "Yep, I will go for it on this basis."

How big Unity's population is is an open question; Stellaris obviously gives you a full homeworld's worth of Pops, but that tells us nothing in hard terms.

Now, I thought it got discussed, but I can't find it in the thread. So the numbers may have changed since then.

But, let's throw the numbers out there at 30 Pops is 10 billion Human sized people. A ship big enough to carry circa 10 billion people in comfort would be - based on scaling up a 21st century luxury liner - a box roughly 35km x 4.5km x 4.5km. Big, but not too big by Stellaris standards; probably Titan-sized. And we can drop that substantially because, as said, that's scaling up a luxury liner. Not something more accurate to what MSI would use for the job, which is packing the slaves in on top of each other. If we said communal quarters and bunk beds for Olinbar-sized races, we can drop the passenger compartment to in the region of 7000m x 900m x 900m. (Edit - does help to actually use the right amount of zeroes)

Having corrected the numbers on the sardine-packed version for using the right number of zeroes, the ship is now on the scale of a Titan again.

In a setting capable of engineering on the scale described of the narrative back on page one regarding the Last Great War which lists some of the megastructural engineering, a freighter of this size sounds quite reasonable.

Basically I've established that basing the population on the ship tells us nothing about the population of Unity.​

I recall deciding roughly 100k people per species, with twenty species in mind, and that Humans would be one of the longer reproduction cycle duration species. Not the longest, but definitely among the longest. So, the 1.7 million reflects roughly half to two-thirds of the population.

Last edited:
I. for one, am dumbfounded by the idea of packing 1.7 million people into a single freighter. I was expecting a fleet/convoy of vessels, but MSI probably has the means to cram people into a ship like sardines.

I. for one, am dumbfounded by the idea of packing 1.7 million people into a single freighter. I was expecting a fleet/convoy of vessels, but MSI probably has the means to cram people into a ship like sardines.

Yep; laying out Humans in individual bunks you can get one human per 2m x 0.5m x 0.5m box. Which is 16 people for every 2m cube. (or, if you double stack couples, could theoretically become 32 people per 2m cube)

You'd need an exercise area and washing facilities and so on, but those could be communal to cut down on mass/space requirements.

And as said, these numbers are literally only the slave quarters, and do not include any crew or ship functions. Realistically we can double or triple the size of the ship, which is why I decided on an upper maximum of 100k people per species before.

Last edited:
Damn it, now I've got started, I want to absolutely get this sorted out rather than just wing it. Proper mathematics to come.

Ok, after an hour of fiddling with Children Of A Dead Earth, it's calculations put a 2 million crew section at 12,000m long by 76m radius.

This is a rather odd on length to width ratio, so instead work on a 4x5 arrangement that gives 3000m by 300m by 300m before radiators, fuel, shielding, reactor and engines, which on COADE's numbers means the ship is easily twice as long again to get anywhere because the rockets it allows are fairly primitive next to Stellaris technology. Estimated cost according to the game of 40 billion credits before propulsion.

On Stellaris tech however, the bulk of the ship is the living space as we have impulse thrusters that are presumably some sort of Bobrick-Martire drive. (sublight solution to the Alcubierre metric that avoids the dangerous radiation build up and only uses normal mass/energy)

Basically, a freighter twice the size of an ISD.

If the colony was to build their own, it would look a bit more like this, on the basis of one ship each: (with more engines; I can't get COADE to operate multiple engines right...)

20230614154138_1.jpg

Last edited:
This has got to be the most worthwhile use of Children of a Death Earth in quite a while. I love the attention to detail! I weep for the logistician who has to fuel all those engines and manage the power grid.

If I ever decide to revisit The Stormbreakers, I'll be consulting you on the old design specs for the Ark Angel.

This has got to be the most worthwhile use of Children of a Death Earth in quite a while. I love the attention to detail! I weep for the logistician who has to fuel all those engines and manage the power grid.

If I ever decide to revisit The Stormbreakers, I'll be consulting you on the old design specs for the Ark Angel.

The good news is that those tanks are just Hydrogen, and therefore could be pulled straight from a gas giant's atmosphere, so refuelling isn't as bad as it could be - at two million tonnes of fuel, it needs to be easy to do.

The electricity management problem is similar to that of managing a city composed of fifty districts.

That's fine. :)

Oh, I've also started working on that Orion drive narrative; going to integrate it into a Under One Rule Origin that has the rise to power in a single star system and the expansion to the stars after the discovery of Hyperlanes.

Rivkah's Diary
Fifth Daas, Eight, Twenty One Eighty Six

Mum gave me a typewriter as part of learning the history of technology, so I'm trying it out. It's an old one, only has English letters, but it's cool, doesn't need a power supply too. It's really different to voice dictation, but difficult; can't fix mistakes easily, and these things weren't meant for people with claws. have to be - oh. Can't be bothered to start over again. Just be more carfeul. Careful.

No wonder they replaced them with computers.

They do make you think more, which is nice.

Anyway, everyone is talking about the prospect of going home. I knew Vaki was thinking of the homeworld, that wasn't a surprise to me. She worries about it a lot, that they don't have anyone like Naomi to lead them.

I'm worried because I'm realising that for me, Unity is my homeworld. I'm more like Mum. Mum only had stories of Earth growing up, just like I only have stories of either of my parent's worlds. Does that make me a child of three planets?

I know it isn't just me either. I've been talking to the other children, and well, I'm not sure the parents who want to go home understand it from our perspective. For us, Unity is the only home we know...

I closed my eyes, to feel the world around me. Smell the plants. The prey

And back. smelt one of the tasty furry things.

In a way, that exemplifies my point. There might be other tasty furry things on the homeworld, but there won't be those tasty furry things. Not unless we risk ecosystem damage by taking them back with us. I guess it is things like that which the adults miss themselves though...

I worry about it.

My wrists hurt.

• 1Like
Reactions:
At least some people seem to have settled down on Unity on a permanent basis.

Rivkah using a typewriter was both amusing and oddly adorable.

Also, @Macavity116, you're considering revisiting the Stormbreakers? What does that mean?

At least some people seem to have settled down on Unity on a permanent basis.

Rivkah using a typewriter was both amusing and oddly adorable.

Also, @Macavity116, you're considering revisiting the Stormbreakers? What does that mean?

As said earlier, I'm working on the basis that a third to a half of people choose Unity over going home.

It is. :) I was playing around with the font setting to see what was available, and it amused me too to think about how Rivkah would respond to a typewriter.

I must confess that I'm a little disappointed it doesn't display the font right on mobile...

I believe he meant if he revised it, not that he was planning to revise it.

@Macavity116, you're considering revisiting the Stormbreakers? What does that mean?
A "Remastered" version of After Everything is in the works, which means I might finally have the time to go back and correct the mountain of typos and punctuation errors in the two sequels.

Last edited:
Freighters and "Freighters"
"Freighters and "Freighters" "
6th Daas, 8 (2186)
Alexandra

Valerius shouts to me in the gym. "Alexandra, a word?"

I turn. He's finally been able to take that ridiculous mask off. So they do have three eyes. "I have... Some concerns about the plan to take the flagship that I want to discuss."

"Me too."

"Would you mind coming with me?"

"I'll catch up."

A few minutes later, I join him outside. We drive out of the colony. He stops.

"What's your concerns?"

"I'm worried that the freighter will go right before MSI come. I've been working out the travel times for a Flagship, and their Snowfall Day coincides with the approximate earliest arrival timeframe."

"Wouldn't it be better for the freighter to be away though?"

"For me, definitely. But I'm not sure the colony can afford the risk of losing a cloak-capable vessel."

"What do you propose?"

"If we were to change the sensor carrier frequency off the standard channels while having the freighter positioned at the Hyperlane, we could ambush it on arrival."

"That would change Naomi's plan."

"Naomi's plan will only work once; she needs another defence plan after she dispatches the Flagship."

I pause. He has a point; the sensor carrier wave is how a ship communicates with thousands of linked microprobes that report sensor data back to a cloaked ship and other MSI vessels in range. If we changed it, we could stuff the freighter full of ordnance and marines and seize the Flagship while it sorts itself out after hyperlane transit.

Of course, the cloaking device is the big hope that's why the Returner Movement wants the freighter instead of building their own ships.

I turn back to him. "It wouldn't be popular."

"And I can't suggest it because people might interpret me as wanting to keep the colony confined."

"Rivkah could."

He blinks. "Rivkah?"

"Rivkah could put the idea forward. If she said it, the others in the command staff will listen. Vaki would listen."

"My worry is that Naomi might work out that we tried to manipulate her daughter."

I think it through. I have an idea. "It's ok, I've got it figured out. I will let you know how it goes."

• 1Like
Reactions:
Alexandra is about to be in trouble. Naomi is probably an overprotective mother...

(@Macavity116, noted. Thanks.)

Homeward Bound, Part 3
Homeward Bound, Part 3
7th Daas, 8 (2186)
Rivkah Of Unity

I eat a cooked tasty furry thing while I wait for Alexandra to return with drinks. I don't like them as much when cooked, it changes the texture and taste.

She has a whole section of floor space dedicated to real time sensors mapping our star system in a 3D projected map. It's so much better than the delayed access charts we get from our own radar; it even tracks individual asteroids. The system tracks where you are looking, and displays data for things in your line of sight. It would be nice to have this setup in our command centre.

She returns with a glass and a cup. "Here we are. I'm just going to say it straight. I was talking with Valerius, as we are much more familiar with what the freighter's sensors can show, and I wanted to give a demonstration of it. We believe letting the freighter go is a mistake, but we feel that we can't bring it up without seeming like we are trying to keep the colony isolated. I was hoping I could talk you through what we have in mind, and that you would bring it up at the next meeting."

"In other words, you're afraid of Mum."

"Afraid of the colony, more accurately. Your Mum is much more rational, and I considered talking through this with her, but I knew she would feel obliged to let the freighter go because it is what the others ask for."

"Whereas I don't have the politics."

"Precisely."

"I can definitely see a case for keeping this, there's so much more information here."

"It's not just the information. What do you know about cloaking devices?"

"Not that much. What I know is that they try to make a ship invisible to sensors by fooling passive and active scanning systems."

"Yes, and there are things called carrier waves that coordinate extremely small probes that provide sensor data. MSI, to keep costs down, has all civilian ships and Flagships share the same carrier wave frequencies."

"Isn't that a liability?"

"Definitely. But it is also cheaper because they only have to manufacture one system, maintain one system, train people to use one system, all of that, and MSI rationalise it as being ok because civilian ships are civilian ships, and Flagships will only be in situations of overwhelming superiority."

"In other words, they don't plan for it being used against them."

"Exactly; the moment that Flagship enters the system, standard orders for entering a system with pre-FTL civilisations dictate releasing a swarm of sensor probes. We can then use those probes too."

"Could you just tell me why that's standard practice though? Seems an odd decision."

"Allows them to monitor the system and cross-check the data the Flagship feeds back."

"Ok. What you are saying then is that if we keep the freighter here, we can monitor their sensors?"

"No. Well, yes, but that's just a bonus. It means the Flagship won't be looking for other MSI vessels outside the civilian frequencies."

"And of course they will start looking because they want to find Hortensus' lost ship."

"Exactly. Which makes us even more confident in this plan. Now, there is a window of opportunity between the Flagship dispatching these probes and the probes activating where their only sensors are looking out the windows because having the ship's own sensors running causes feedback loops in the probes."

"Why haven't they fixed that?"

"Costs too much to fix. They're disposable probes Rivkah, Valerius says fixing this feedback loop would add eight percent to the cost of each probe, and MSI doesn't want to spend it because they make millions of these probes for the fleet. Much easier to switch the sensor system offline until the probes are all out of the feedback loop range."

Suddenly, I get it. "In which time, we can launch an ambush with the freighter."

She smiles. "Exactly. The freighter can be in, deploy boarding parties, and get back out again before the sensors come back online."

"And by then it is too late."

"The window is only a few minutes though. The freighter has to be by the right Hyperlane breach point too, for obvious reasons."

"But we'd still have the original plan if they did use a different Hyperlane."

She points at the Hyperlane breach point on the far side of the system. "And it is near certain which Hyperlane they'll use because of how the Hyperlanes in the region are arranged."

"I do like the ideas here."

"Would you go to Naomi?"

I take a few minutes to think it through. "Mum will want to open it for discussion rather than overrule. Vaki will think it is a great idea, and then point out that the colony already has a means of ambushing the Flagship, and the Returners will need something similar themselves to even the odds. Dad will be relieved that we can deal with the Flagship from further away, Odoos even more so. Ykrett will be pleased. Rhizome of Ebony too. The other Returners will want to take the freighter even more once they know. I need to talk to Daas to find out how long until we can copy this trick ourselves." I look at my home system. "I'll ask."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Ah, it looks like being cheapskates will come back to bite MSI. Why megacorps governing might be a bad idea...

That being said, I can't wait to see Naomi go mama bear on Alexandra.

Homeward Bound, Part 4
"Homeward Bound, Part 4"
8th Daas, 8 (2186)
Rivkah of Unity

By the time I got back, it was dark, had been for several hours. Parents laid all tangled up together. I debated waking them, but decided to wait until morning. I curl up with them.

When we wake, Dad is hungry, and goes off to catch something. I talk to Mum.

"Mum, Alexandra showed me around the freighter yesterday, talked me through the sensor probes. She's got a plan that I think is worth listening to, but she and Valerius don't want to put it forward because they're afraid of the people's response."

"The exploit the sensor probes plan."

"You already know."

"Of course; the information is in the MSI captain's manual, Daas, Ykrett and I figured it out years ago. We just didn't have any way of exploiting it before. Their proposal presumably consists of parking the freighter at the Hyperlane under cloak, with everyone on permanent standby."

"You're not keen."

"It does have it's issues, and we couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution before."

"I thought it was workable."

"Until you realise we're dealing with having troops stationed trillions of kilometres from home, under the stress of waiting at constant readiness in hopes of intercepting an enemy that we don't know when they will arrive. Or, arguably if. Inevitably they will lose focus and start wondering why they are there, waiting to intercept an enemy where they have a five minute window to commit an attack against an enemy that is on paper vastly stronger than them."

"Oh."

"Rivkah, do you remember when we used to look at maps laid out on a table and move little models around to teach you tactics?"

"Yes."

"Can your remember what I said?"

I search my memory. "'You do not command weapons. You do not command ceramics, or composites, or metal, or fuel. You command people.'"

She smiles. "Perfect. Rivkah, to be Arch-Imperatrix, as you will be in time, means that you must be a master of psychology. You must understand how packs form, how armies function, how men form bonds of fellowship and companionship, the impact it has when the last thing a man hears as he goes into fire and death is a woman's voice wishing him the best."

"Is that why we say 'no matter what happens, I love you all'?"

"Yes. And it is why we leave it until the last moment before going into battle before saying it, so that we all remember why we fight together."

"And why do we fight?"

"Rivkah, a leader is a dealer in hope. Look at me. Look at your Dad. Ykrett. Rhizome. Vaki. We lead not because we went to some kind of command school and passed out, but we lead because we can inspire those who follow us. I command because I came to my people wearing nothing but a captured belt and weapons, and I gave them hope for being free even as I wept for the man whose life I took, and for those who would not see their families again. We fight because we believe. We are not mercenaries only in it for the gold, nor the vain thinking of glory. We are normal men and women who in believe in ourselves, who believe in each other, and in the rightness of our cause."

I sit down and think. Mum gathers green things.

I'm afraid. What if I can't inspire them?

But then, I see my reflection in a puddle. They follow my Dad because he's a badass who can rip an Olinbar limb from limb, and they follow my Mum because she believes in them more than they do.

And they'll follow me because I can do both.

"Mum, what are you going to do with Alexandra?"

She stands. "I have an idea."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Homeward Bound, Part 5
"Homeward Bound, Part 5"
8th Daas, 8 (2186)
Naomi Of Unity

I find her leaving the gym, head down, covered in sweat. "Alexandra. A word."

She looks up in surprise. "Oh, Naomi, yes, um, what is it about?" She pauses to look at my face. I stay quiet. "I understand." She heads back inside the gym. I follow.

Simple games.

We get back inside; just us here. "Alexandra, trying to use Rivkah as your messenger girl."

"She explained it, I'm sure."

"Yes. She did."

We stand facing against each other. "Where's this going, Naomi?"

"Did you and Valerius stop to consider we might have spotted that idea and discounted it?"

"No, honestly."

"Well, we did. Me, Daas and Ykrett worked it out years ago."

"I see." She folds her arms.

"The freighter is too valuable an asset to tie up trillions of kilometres away from home on guard duty, when I could be using it to infiltrate people back into MSI territory or sending those who want to go home, home."

She looks at me surprised. "Sending people in to infiltrate MSI?"

"Yes. That was always my goal, was to train up a whole host of people who could do anything I can do, and send them in to cause havoc and start new rebellions of their own."

Her eyes sparkle. "What if I ask for volunteers to join me on an outpost, and we try to ambush them?"

I smile. "I'll even let you recruit from my Thousand."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Homeward Bound, Part 6
"Homeward Bound, Part 6"
9th Daas, 8 (2186)
Rivkah Of Unity

We re-meet on the muster field. Li is just finishing setting up his equipment.

Mum looks at me, and gives me a round dome of some kind, wrapped in cloth.

When Li puts his thumb up, Mum turns to Alexandra. "Alexandra, this is where you tell the people your battle plan."

Alexandra explains all that she told me aboard the ship a few days ago. When she finishes, she looks at Mum.

Mum looks back at her. "Alexandra. Do you truly believe that you can make this interception plan work?"

"I do."

Mum lifts the cloth. It is a round shield, outer layer made from bronze. An intricate pattern of sixteen strikes of starlight shines out from the centre, set above black background. Alexandra opens her mouth briefly, before standing back to attention.

Mum gives it to her. Alexandra looks on the verge of tears, but I don't think she's sad. She straps it to her left arm.

Mum turns to her men; Naomi's Thousand. A few of the Humans are already on their feet; they know something is up. "Many of you do not know the significance of this, so I will try to be brief. On my world, in ancient times, a historian wrote that a Greek soldier was to return with his shield, or on it. I have charged her with the defence of our star system. She carries the title of Imperatrix." Her eyes do her quick-thinking thing. "Correction. Strategos."

Alexandra's face lights up.

Some of the Humans begin walking forward. Naomi nods to her; I lip-read her whisper to her, "Go on." Alexandra steps towards them. "I am Alexandra Strategos. Who will stand as my heratoi?"

Mum clarifies. "Her Companions."

The humans who had already stood, walk forward. Mum stands beside her. "Anyone listening in who wishes to join, come to the muster field."

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: