• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Still iterating how to display job titles, and eventually ranks once we get to that point, alongside people's names. At least, for some people. Buri for example, well, he is not a job title kind of guy. And Naomi and CEO doesn't work either way round. Imperatrix Naomi (or more pedantically, Naomi Imperatrix) suits her more, but equally she's quite likely the only person on Unity who knows the reference is back to the Roman Republic and not the Empire.

I have settled on HoD of course, being a Klingonese pun.

I might sort out a complete list of Leaders and the job titles/ranks. Maybe.
It looks like there is some internal dissent in MSI. That is good news - it could be something to exploit when the inevitable war between them and Life 2.0 starts...

Oh, there would definitely be internal dissent; Thando HaMaadimi is loose on the homeworld causing chaos, and even without him they have a 21% crime rating, 43 Stability, 35% population happiness, -8 amenities, 2 unemployed pops and less than half their population being Olinbar*.

* This may all change on the post-Galactic Paragons restart

Background Lore - 5
On Ranks And Titles

The formalisation of the leadership structure now begins to take on a definitive shape.

Corporate Governance:​

Shareholders

The top of the pyramid consists of the Shareholders, who are everyone in society; your Shareholder ID is equivalent of citizenship, available to anyone, and alongside a living wage of Food and Consumer Goods (etc.) entitles you to dividends and one voting share in corporate governance matters. Shareholders get votes on who the CEO is, and prospective CEO plans (which are submitted anonymously, to ensure the focus remains on the content of the plans and not a popularity contest) Members of the Board, and their own plans. (this time, without anonymity; the Board are accountable to what they put forward in their plans)

Board Members

The second rung is the Board, which is broadly equivalent to the Council from Galactic Paragons, but expanded. Selected by suitable means, the Board consists of representatives of each race, plus the roles of the Council, plus the other Department Heads, and are responsible for hitting KPIs and running the bureaucracy.

Chief Executive Officer

Head of state role, directly accountable to the Shareholders. The bulk of the job comes down to providing a vision that inspires the Shareholders to pick their vision, and then implementing it.

Heads Of Department

Heads Of Department oversee their Departments. The main roles that are in Pre-Galactic Paragons Stellaris are the Scientists, with each field of each type of the three categories of science having their own Department Head, and a budget assigned to them that they split according to Shareholder requests, Arch-Imperator's requests, CEO requests and Board requests.

This obviously has very little correlation with Stellaris tech research, but that's because Stellaris tech research is... Not my preference at all. I prefer research that is much more like Space Empires V, where you assign a research budget to the fields you want to develop. (alongside having a non-state directed research pool going on that represents private sector activity)

Governors
At this stage, Life2.0 only needs Provincial Governors, but in time will expand into Provincial, Planetary and Sector Governors.

Military Governance:​

Military roles, as discussed earlier, are outside the normal governing channels.

One of the errancies of the modern west is the belief that a military should look like the people they defend.

Which is stupid; they shouldn't, nor can, bcause the military has a critical function that they are willing to kill simply because someone higher up said to kill; that trait should be disturbing. If that trait is in the representative population, something is psychologically wrong in that population.

Arch-Imperator, Arch-Imperatrix - or, Primus/Prima

The man/woman in the position of Commander In Chief. In the event that the CEO is also Arch-Imperator, then Primus is used. Naomi's assumption is that she will be the first and last Prima.

Imperator, Imperatrix

As with HaMaadimi Imperium, the title is as per the Roman Republic, "Commander". Promotion method is promote the badass/promote the respected.

Her methodology of warfare recognises that as a revolutionary militia, they are extremely susceptible to decapitation strikes. As a result, she envisions not a chain of command, but a hydra of equals, where even the lowest private can do anything she can do.

Once the first hydra is ready for deployment, it will deploy into self-replicating units, where every severed head becomes a new hydra of its own; each soldier-officer assigned to a location - could be a ship, a station, a habitat, a planet, anything - and repeats the same process by which Naomi siezed the ship. Come the Great Revolutionary War, MSI will not face one revolt, but a thousand.

And even if only 1% of Naomi's thousand succeed, MSI now faces ten Naomi-tier Leaders, plus Naomi herself with Buri, Odoos, Ykrett, Rhizome etc.

And Thando.​

Galactic Paragons has been released, and my first impressions are...

Well, the display glitched, so the mouse was actually clicking about an inch to the left, and was impossible to use. Now restarting.

But, my theory about having to slash leader upkeep was right. The cap starts at six!!

Six!!

I can't even do Naomi's inner circle on six leaders. Honestly...

The leader cap is not fit for purpose for Broken Shackles starts. It really isn't. Sixteen leaders, that's sort of workable. (Still not enough for one leader each in our setting)

But six is... Not viable without modding to remove the limit.

The knowledge about the structure of the new company is nice.

It seems like the members of Life 2.0 can still find some time to have... fun. And the company is formalized at long last!

Of course they have time for fun, they're free now.

There's loads of jobs the colony needs doing, of course. But once your basic living essentials are sorted, you work as much as you want to work. Or, if you just want to wander off into the wilderness and live your own life, then no one is going to stop you.

Consider also that a lot of folk want to get themselves back into space and go back home, and only see working together as a means to an end.

There's a small core of dedicated people who have "full time" roles looking after things because they truly believe in what they can accomplish together, and it's this group who obviously come up most in the narrative as these are the characters who will stick around, which skews the perception.

Written up more of my thoughts on the Leader rework here:

For this AAR, I was projecting that I was going to be well over two hundred Leaders in game, because every single race has their Head Of Department - 'race name' Relations, including subsequently integrated former primitives, on top of my usual arrangement. Possibly even more Leaders, as Rivkah/Tryykad's generation come forward and in time get spouses (which would be the beginnings of a aristocracy to have the Leaders pairing off with each other, which I don't want) and have their own children. (which would really take off once they develop the technology to do splices and neogens)

Obviously I wouldn't have been able to feature all of them beyond name-dropping, but I was looking forward to feeling like a little bit of Crusader Kings 3, especially with the rework making them all more individual.

Now, the Unity costs from the scaling are extreme enough for the way I play, but when I'm thinking about potentially doubling the Leader count... I'm not particularly looking forward to 10k+ Unity on a single Leader.

So, it's a little bit distasteful, but it looks like I'll need to reverse engineer someone else's mod to fiddle the cap up to something reasonable, and then put in "unity 99999999" or something.

I'll need to reverse engineer someone else's mod to fiddle the cap up to something reasonable, and then put in "unity 99999999" or something.
I've broken into other people's mods to do stuff like this in the past. It's a little time consuming, but once you know exactly what you're looking for, it's pretty easy.

I've broken into other people's mods to do stuff like this in the past. It's a little time consuming, but once you know exactly what you're looking for, it's pretty easy.
It looks easier than it is; between the new update and me - could be either at this stage - the original save no longer loads. Which is not good... I'm very worried about getting the new version of the AAR up and running now. Strongly suspect that I might have to invoke a lot more gameplay/lore segregation than planned.

I have learned something though, I much, much, much prefer modding GalCiv1 to modding Stellaris.

Edit - so, I've managed to get it to work. I now have a 500 Leader Leader cap. :) :)

Last edited:
First Flight
"First Flight"
12th Buri, 6 (2183)
Rivkah Of Unity

I'm sat in the co-pilot seat as Mum preps the shuttle. Just us two, and the cargo of asteroid mining robots that are connected to a simulator back on the colony; miners will operate the drones with virtual reality equipment while safely still on Unity. They won't work quite as well as they do on the surface because the lightspeed time delay meaning the responses are a few seconds delayed, but they've been working on robotic miner input coding to compensate for it. Now we are flying the prototypes up to the ring system to do some testing.

If it all goes right, these prototypes will set up a teleoperating station up here, and we can use it as an orbital base by using the ring's material for supplies. Apparently it should be a lot easier than how they did it on Old Earth; they had to use the Moon, so it was a three day trip and needed a lot more fuel.

It's funny how quickly things are changing now that my Mum is effectively in charge of decision making; it was only a few years ago miners meant people with pickaxes. Now it's remotely operated drills and stuff.

Mum sits next to me, but she contacts traffic control. They talk, and soon the siren sounds to tell the flying members of the colony to land. She turns to me. "Set our ascent at fifteen degrees above horizontal, we'll use only a little throttle until we are ten kilometres up and far from the colony."

I look back at her. "Why not just light the afterburners and go up?"

She smiles. "Firstly, that would give us lots of altitude, but not much distance traveled. It's the prograde velocity which balances out the planet's gravity and means that we reach orbit, and not crash back down. Think of it as trying to fall around the planet, not back to the ground. Secondly, it would waste fuel by pushing so hard and fast against the lower atmosphere, when being a bit more patient saves a lot of a resource that's very difficult for us to replace."

"I thought you said we can make fuel for rockets?"

"There's lots of types of rocket fuel. And the kind that these shuttles use is a little bit beyond our technology right now, so, we have to make the most of it."

"Ok Mum."

She smiles again, and starts pressing buttons. "Mum, how do you know how to run one of these?"

She stays silent. Thinking face on. "I... Picked up a few hints and tips, and MSI are cheapskates who reuse the same interface over and over again to reduce costs."

"Where from?"

She looks at me. "How much has Dad told you about Mum's past life?"

"Nothing. Why? What did you do?"

She looks very uncomfortable. Very sad, until anger burns in her eyes. "When we were slaves, I was a Companionship Asset. Spent ten years doing it at a shipyard. That's how I know."

Part of me thinks I shouldn't ask. But I am curious... I ask. "What's a Companionship Asset?"

She closes her eyes. "Their euphemism for prostitute."

She hasn't taught me that word. She looks at me. She looks very conflicted.

Eventually she closes her eyes. "It means people paid my slavers money so that they could have sex with me. And not only a few, but thousands and thousands of them."

She focuses on the task at hand, and we take off, blazing gently into the sky. Mum puts the shuttle into a stable ascent path, and starts to cry. I reach out and hug her.

"Rivkah, you guys... Your generation, hopefully you will never truly understand what your parents generation went through. They did unspeakable things to us. And that's why we are pushing ourselves so fast to try to rebuild here, because somewhere out there are enemies who will work you to death, and then use your skin as their rug."

I'm fairly sure she isn't joking. It isn't her way. But I feel a sense of dread...

Dad, Aunt Vaki, they don't really have any stories of MSI. They were only on the slave ship. But the others... I suppose like Mum they keep it buried inside. They don't want to scare us.

What kind of enemies will I face, that they can make my Mum afraid?

The sky outside is starting to get less blue. We're high above the clouds.

Mum smiles. "Now, we can light the afterburners."

She presses another button, the shuttle shakes, I'm pinned to my seat, it hurts. Mum is looking at the instruments and a calculator, doing numbers. I'm starting to see stars. She glances at me, before throttling back a bit. I feel better. "We're now on a suborbital trajectory. Once we're in space, we'll burn prograde a little bit more to circularise. Then we pick a suitable test object in the ring, and get to work."

A while later - Mum lets me go for a nap - I wake up.

I'm floating. She's undone the buckles for us, she's right up against the windscreen, I join her. Well, I try to, but swimming doesn't seem to work... I pull on the console. Too much, ouch, I hit the screen...

I'm a little dazed, Mum slows me down and holds me still. I look out the window, and...

Wow. The view...

She's rolled the ship. I can see my homeworld in a way I never dreamed of. It's so round, and so white and so blue, and it fills half the view. "Where are we?"

"We're above the uncharted far side continents right now, but we'll soon be coming up on the western side of our home region. Few more minutes at this altitude."

"How fast are we going?"

"Just under eight thousand kilometres per hour."

"How fast is the buggy?"

"About a hundred and twenty kilometres per hour, top speed. Although you've only seen it do about thirty kilometres per hour, your Dad is a gentle driver."

I look for the colony. I can't find it yet.

"It would stand out a lot more at night, but I don't think the settlement is big enough to be clearly visible from here." She - so much more gently than me - pushes off the window, catches the chair. She's looking at the scanners. "Coming up now."

I search frantically, but we're just too far up.

"Come back to the seat Rivkah, time to switch the artificial gravity back on, we have work to do remember."

I very lightly push off the window, and sail back over the console. Mum puts the gravity on at a low level to help me, and back to normal once I'm landed. She shows me the astrometrics. She's running through the detected objects to find one big enough for us to use; eventually, she finds one. She starts to plot the navigation, adjusting the display until she finds whatever it is she is looking for.

"Why don't we just point ourselves at one?"

"Then we'd miss. Think of traveling in space as a dance. You have to relate to where your partner will be and how they will be moving when you get to them, and if you just fire the engines up, you could easily miss them completely." She pulls me close. "So, what we do is we adjust the inclination of our orbit to match the target, and use our higher velocity, lower altitude orbit to catch up to a slower moving but higher object, then match velocities once at the intercept point."

A small burn in the anti-normal direction matches the inclination, but it's a two hour wait until Mum's low fuel burn transfer window. We spend the time looking out the window, and practicing moving in microgravity. It's a lot of fun, especially when we turn the lights off and practice hunting exercises.

A little while longer, and we are at the intercept. Mum finishes the matching velocity burn, and points the ship parallel to the rock. It's roughly two hundred metres long. She engages the maneuvering thrusters, and slowly moves us in until to docking clamps grip.

"Ok Rivkah, I need you to stay inside and handle things in here; I don't want you to accidentally jump into space. I'll deploy the miners, we will keep an open channel." She turns back to the comms system, presses more buttons. "Naomi to mission control, we have docked with a suitable asteroid. Deploying the mining robots now."

"Positive Naomi, standing by for your next communication."

Mum makes her way to the airlock.

"Mum, what do I do if something happens to you?"

She comes back over, and points at one of the other displays. She presses more buttons. "this is the tractor beam. I've set it to scan for RFID tags, as there will be one in the envirosuit. Pan the camera, find the only RFID tag outside the ship, then press this blue button here. That will pull me into the cargo bay." She nuzzles me, then heads for the airlock again.

I start reading the technical manual; I know Mum or mission control will talk me through anything I have to do, but it would be useful to at least know how things work. Occasionally move the scanner to keep an eye on Mum.

It's boring.

Several hours pass of Mum unloading the robots and getting them in position, then setting up the comms relay. Thankfully other missions have already put communications relays up, so it's easier.

Eventually, she comes back in, sits down, stretches her legs. Back on the comms. "Naomi to mission control, we are live, over."

"Positive Naomi, we are reading visuals. Beginning a mining test now."

I don't hear anything. Just a very slight rumble through the floor. "Mission control to Naomi, we have contact and are drilling, mission accomplished."

"Positive mission control, shuttle one is returning home."

Mum unclamps us from the robotic miners. Soon they'll have a shelter dug out the rock, and the next team will come up with people to make our first orbital station a home. Mum burns normal to get back to the orbital plane that takes us home, and then lights the thrusters retrograde.

I'm glad to be going home. Mum points the shuttle at Unity while we coast back to the atmosphere. I'll never forget this sight, it's breathtaking.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Rivkah's experience seeing her home from space strongly reminds me of what Russian cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov said about his first view of Earth from above: "The Earth was small, light blue, and so touchingly alone, our home that must be defended like a holy relic."

Also,
It's the prograde velocity which balances out the planet's gravity and means that we reach orbit, and not crash back down. Think of it as trying to fall around the planet, not back to the ground. Secondly, it would waste fuel by pushing so hard and fast against the lower atmosphere, when being a bit more patient saves a lot of a resource that's very difficult for us to replace.
Was not ready for Naomi to be the best Kerbal Space Program player in the room.

To be fair, Naomi is trying to avoid most of Kerbal Space Program's gameplay. :)

Although, she at least has the kit to make rescue-rescue missions easier.

And yes, it is that kind of imagery I wanted to draw on for Rivkah.

Last edited:
Well, that was an awkward conversation. Hopefully Rivkah doesn't know what her mother's talking about from personal experience...

Unity has space travel! That's excellent! Let's hope that the galaxy is not too dangerous for them - MSI could've retreated a bit from their furthest extent.

Well, that was an awkward conversation. Hopefully Rivkah doesn't know what her mother's talking about from personal experience...
Honestly, I have to give mad props to @CBR JGWRR for including this dialogue, full stop. In The Last Heroes, Cassandra never found out about her sister's "previous employment" and I kept it that way mostly because I was afraid of opening that can'o'worms.

@CBR JGWRR did a great job of writing an honest and sympathetic moment between Naomi and Rivkah. Kudos!

Unity has space travel! That's excellent! Let's hope that the galaxy is not too dangerous for them - MSI could've retreated a bit from their furthest extent.
One of the societal level benefits of Xenayan reproductive strategy is that there is no form of prostitution; for them, Naomi's previous employment is so far outside of the physiology that they don't have a context for it. It does contribute to why she prefers being around Xenaya.

Rivkah can only barely understand what Naomi went through, only that it hurts her mother very deeply.

They're using shuttles left behind from the slave ship, which makes fuel conservation much more important. Still working on their own rockets, although they know what they have to develop from Earth's history.

Honestly, I have to give mad props to @CBR JGWRR for including this dialogue, full stop. In The Last Heroes, Cassandra never found out about her sister's "previous employment" and I kept it that way mostly because I was afraid of opening that can'o'worms.

@CBR JGWRR did a great job of writing an honest and sympathetic moment between Naomi and Rivkah. Kudos!

Thank you, that's exactly what I was aiming for. :)

So, I'm in a quandary again. Obviously, Galactic Paragons has been released, and having fixed my main issue with the expansion, can start thinking about playing again.

The problem is, bodging the two saves together; I keep causing the bodged saves to CTD on loading, and I don't know why it is breaking as it could be any of a lot of things after all. So, a fair few things will have to invoke gameplay-lore segregation.

The other part is we still have another seventeen - ish, I don't necessarily have to stick to 2200 as the big year of the narrative - years before gameplay begins. Now, we could just timeskip. But, on the other hand there's still a lot of potential narrative; Rivkah and Tryykad are just the first children to get introduced, and well, you guys can already see that Naomi and Buri will retire by 2200, then come out of retirement when contact with MSI takes place, with Rivkah taking over as CEO and High Queen; she already has figured out that's what Naomi is training her to do.

There's a whole load of dynamics I want to explore as Rivkah's generation comes through. (the last post considered just one of several areas of interest)

Plus, I want to introduce Thando, and friends.

At the rate I'm writing, we may just see the end of the Prologue before the end of 2023.

Which means, the question is if my readers are happy with the long Prologue?

Which means, the question is if my readers are happy with the long Prologue?
Not gonna lie. I didn't realize we were still in the Prologue. I knew you were planning to integrate gameplay as the story goes on, though.

I'm counted among the satisfied readers. I've gotten quite invested in the story at this point.

I enjoy long prologues, honestly. I still haven't gotten to gameplay in my currently active Stellaris AAR (Nordica), so I definitely see where you're coming from.

You could restart the game in the new version, or you could just rollback your game. Either works. I don't think that many readAARs will care either way, honestly.

Honestly, I was hoping people would say to keep going with the prologue. :)

The thing is, once you fix how they broke Leaders with the Leader Cap, the new update does allow for quite a lot of elements that will be really good once Rivkah's generation take over and we move into gameplay integrated narrative - I'm really looking forward to seeing how they develop in game and weaving their stories into the wider story. Rolling back misses out a fair chunk of the opportunities involved.

So, it looks like one save file will be for Naomi's generation, while the next savefile will be the Leaders from Rivkah. I'm just hoping I can figure out how to get the species data to work.

So, it looks like one save file will be for Naomi's generation, while the next savefile will be the Leaders from Rivkah.
That's a good idea. Roughly similar to how I managed save files for The Stormbreakers.
  • One save was for all events before a specific battle scene, to simulate Earth being ruled by alien occupiers and collaborators, and
  • the other save was for all events after that crucial battle, where the "free Earth" is a player

That's a good idea. Roughly similar to how I managed save files for The Stormbreakers.
  • One save was for all events before a specific battle scene, to simulate Earth being ruled by alien occupiers and collaborators, and
  • the other save was for all events after that crucial battle, where the "free Earth" is a player
It's not quite the way I want, but it is the best compromise I've found so far.