• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vesimir

Quill of England
64 Badges
Oct 1, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Majesty 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado

Life and Deeds of Richard the Lionheart

Richard.jpg

Prologue​

Anno Domini 1187
Noon at Bordeaux Castle​

Richard was sitting on his bed thinking about his family. But those thougts weren't nice.
My father and my brother.
Henry and John.
Two people i hate most in the world, i'm the older child but that doesn't matter.
Father has sent me here, to this backwater, Duke of Aquitaine. Bah! More like Duke of a gutter. My brother fights the celtic barbarians in Ireland while i check how many damn potatoes the serfs have harvested.
Richard looked up and saw himself in the mirror.
Not anymore. - he thought.
I swear to God I'm going to overthrow my father, Claim the English crown and banish both of those traitors out of my Kingdom! I swear to God! - He shouted as loud as he could. He stood up and called the steward of the Duchy.
What is it you want my liege?
How much men can we raise?
Counting the armies of the smaller counties i think about 10 thousands.
That won't do... Richard thought for a second.
Get a horse ready i'm going to Paris.
But Sir! What about the Duchy?
I don't care about it.
Sir! You can't just go!
Richard stopped gathering his belongings and slowly turned back.
Did you just ordered me?
The steward starded shaking and slowly stepped back.
Never tell me what to do again. Do you understand?
The steward slowly nodded.
Good. Richard grabbed his sword and turned back to the steward.
I'll be back in 2 months or so when i come back i want that 10 thousands ready for a war, do you understand?
Yes, sir.
Good. Richard marched out of the room.

Steward looked out the window and saw the Duke riding away.
He's mad! - he sayed - I can't believe that man is son of frank!

Richard rode through the village surrounding the castle with the words he said earlier echoing in his head.

"I swear to God i will take the Throne"​

Last edited:

Chapter 1 : Seeds of Rebellion​

Anno Domini 1187
Late evening at Bordeaux Castle​

Steward finished his meal and looked out through the window.
It's been 3 months since the Duke rode to Paris. - he thought - Yet, he still didn't return.... What if something happened to him?... The King may send a despot, and i prefer a madman to a despot or anyone cruel.
And then he saw something in the distance, an army emerged from behind a hill with 2 people riding in front of them.
The steward quickly ran down the stairs and all the way to the castle's gates.
He could clearly see the Duke in front of the troops and sighed with relief.
Sir, what took you so long?
A wedding Chamount. My wedding.
But my Lord, your wedding with the german duchess was to be held in Normandy no Ile de France.
I didn't mary the german duchess and I don't care about my father's plans. I married the Frankish princess.
Richard turned around and helped his wife get down on the courtyard.
I present to you Alix Capet daughter of the King of France and my wife.
Alix.jpg

Enough pleasantries for today i want you to show her my quarters and bring me a map of the kingdom.
Steward looked like he got a heart attack. Such disobedience to his father and his king, that man is mad!
Do you understand what I'm saying Chamount?
Steward nodded.
Then what are you waiting for?!
I'm sorry my liege. Chamount told the princess to follow him and marched into the castle.

Night at Bordeaux castle
The meeting chamber​

Richard looked at the map of his father's kingdom.

Continuation in the next post.

Last edited:
Richard looked at the map and he wasn't happy.
Demesne.jpg

His demesne whas about the size of his father's but england was gaurded by the channel and so he had to make a fleet. Capet agreed only to give him a few marshals and 15 thousands troops and not only that army was barely adequate now he had to find a way to get across the channel.
What do you think of it? - He asked Thomas de Gascon, one of the marshals sent to him by the Frank King.
The Situation is..... troubling.
The Victory isn't impossible but i won't be easy either.
I think the best course of action would be... - he stopped for a second - taking the norman duchies and ending the war at that.
What?! - Richard shouted and looked at the marshal - You want me to stop at taking another duke title? And that's that? I'm going to pledge allegiance to the Capet's and everyone will be happy?
Thomas stood still and looked the Duke in the eyes.
That wasn't what i meant - he said calmly - i advise you to take the norman titles and then concentrate on the rest of the Islands.
Richard raised his eyebrow.
Claiming Scotland would provide both manpower and a good starting position for the war.
You may be right... But i have a better idea. - Richard replied to Thomas -
We will take normandy and wipe my father's forces out of France, then without making peace with him we shall attack Ireland and vassalize the independent dukes there. - Richard stopped - Then we will sail to Westmorland and slowly advance from the north.
Richard looked in the eyes of the calm marshal and said - I will become King of England in one war, one attempt.
They stared in each other's eyes for a few minutes when the steward entered the room. I'm sorry to interrupt you my liege but the the Dukes of Norfolk and Warwick replied No to your offer.
Dammit! - Richard thinked for a moment.
So i nobody in England will help me? Fine! I don't need them, now i just have to wait for the right moment to strike.

Last edited:
Good luck! I'll be following.

Nice work so far but you may want to use speech marks and stop making a new paragraph each line (you wanted comments on your writing style so I give you some). Its a good story apart from that though.

Chapter 2 : The right moment​

Anno Domini 1188
Early morning at Poiters Castle​

Everything was going with Richard's plan the french counts were loyal to him, irish counts were starting to ask him for protection. His wife born him a daughter, his armies were bigger with every month. Yes, everything was going well and then on 1st January, in the new year the moment he was waiting for has finally came.

Rebellion.jpg

He gathered his best marshals in this stronghold, in this room. And now they were waiting for him to tell them what to do. He smiled and stood up.
Marshals! The time for the strike has came. It is now or never, we will attack England tonight!
Hurray! - Marshals shouted and looked at the Duke. They were eager and ready for battle, only one was still siting and calmly looked at the map of France that was laying on the table. Richard didn't like that man always calm and silent but he knew that man was the best marshal in France beside himself and as much as he would like to, he couldn't lead the whole war himself.
I hope you will be joining us De Gascon? - Marshall looked at him and after a while he said - I'll try to come on time.
Bah! Well marshals it's time to go. It's now or never!
Richard and the marshals marched out of the room, only de Gascon stayed.
The marshall looked around and maked sure he was alone. He stood up and marched down stairs. He was going down and down until he reached the wine cellar. Are you here? - He whispered - I'm here, what did you find out? Richard will make an offensive from the west, march north and then he cut off the inland counties of from the sea and slowly advance towards them. The dark figure whispered - Are you sure? - Marshal answered - I gave him the idea and he understood that is the best way to attack. You shouldn't have any trouble to cut him off from his demesne and encircle the pathetic excuse of an army he has. Good - the dark figure smiled and pushed a brick in the wall - You did a good work Thomas, after Richard is captured you will receive Normandy and his Aquitaine. - The figure finished and went through the secret passage opened by the brick he pushed.
Gascon smiled. - That idiot hates me but knows i'm the best marshal he has and he can't do anything against me. - Gascon thought while exiting the cellar.
The wine cellar was again empty, Richard smiled in the darkness.

The courtyard

Richard finished ordering the last marshal. He was ready to go and fight for the crown. He turned around and kissed his wife Alix.
When will you be back? I won't come back, when i'll capture my father and brother i'll send for you and you'll join me in England. Alix looked down.
What are you worried about? I promise i'll stay alivel. Richard smiled and kissed her once again after which he climbed on his horse and rode out of the castle.

The war was going in Richard's favor and just in one year normandy was conquered and count from there pledged allegiance to the young Angevin. Unfortunately the great frank marshall Thomas de Gascon has disappeared and only one person knew what has happened to him.

September19.jpg

And on 19th September 1189 the first stalemate of the war has happened. Henry Richard's father had no holdings in France and Richard had no holdings in the Isles and so an unwritten peace has came. But that didn't mean war in France was over, he already planned the next war this time with the Capets hoping to gain Brittany and few minor counties south and north. But that was a plan for later, now he had to conquer England and that was the only thing he thought about.

Last edited:

Chapter 3 : Irish Luck​

Anno Domini 1189
Guernsey Island Morning​

Richard was standing at the beach and looking in the distance. My kingdom is there, north across the channel. - He thought to himself - But i have to wait, first i must gain a base on the isles and Ireland is perfect for that. Richard sighed.
Ekhm! - Someone coughed behind him. Richard turned around and saw an aged English messenger. My Lord, King of England has decided he'll let you live and proposes peace to you.
Coward.jpg

Richard smiled and answered the mesenger - You can tell your "King" that he's a coward and I thought he'll put up more of a fight. Richard turned back to the sea and after a while added - I will not rest until the crown will be in my hands.

The messenger turned around and went back to his ship.

His desperate to end the war, that's good. - Richard thought - Hopefully the war will be over in less than 5 years and i will be able to focus myself on more important matters. Richard sighed and marched back to his tent in which his marshals were discussing about the details of the invasion.

Overviev of the Invasion on Ireland

On 3rd September 1189 Richard sailed to Ireland with 15 000 men and landed in Osraige. The irish countess ruling there joined Richard in hope that she would receive Leinster for help. But John knew about his brother's great tactical skill and his spy's told him that on battlefield was like a "Titan" killing many enemies with a single blow. He knew that he had little chances to win as reinforcements from England would come few months later while Richard would arrive in this month. And so desperate John signed a pact with Dukes of Connacht and Ulster proposing them independence as long as him or his father ruled England for help in defeating Richard. In 13 October the bloodiest battle of the revolution took place. The battle that was later known as Battle of Dublin took about 25 000 lives, and pushed Richard back to France. Battle of Dublin wast the first lost battle of Richard but that didn't took his spirit, he came back to Normandy with 4 000 men left from the 15 000 he took with him and was getting ready for another try to take the throne.
IrishInvasion.jpg

On 29 October he planned an invasion on Cornwall with hopes of taking Dorset and capturing his Father to end the war quickly.
That was Richard's last chance to win the war and take the English crown.

shamrock.jpg

Last edited:
You've obviously chosen a 'narrative' style of writing in order to tell your story as well as some 'history book'

don't be worried about writing style, this is just fine. Go with what suits you and can tell the story/game out and not with what others think you should do.

-Good job thus far!

Richard is doing very well thus far.

I have one piece of presentational advice - and that is that you leave a clear blank line between each paragraph. Below I excerpt a small passage from your most recent post and demonstrate what I mean:
Example of clear blank lines said:
Richard smiled and answered the mesenger - You can tell you "King" that he's a coward and I thought he'll put up more of a fight. Richard turned back to the sea and after a while added - I will not rest until the crown will be in my hands.

The messenger turned around and went back to his ship.

His desperate to end the war, that's good. - Richard thought - Hopefully the war will be over in less than 5 years and i will be able to focus myself on more important matters. Richard sighed and marched back to his tent in which his marshals were discussing about the details of the invasion.
This makes blocks of text much much easier to read on monitor screens, particularly useful when you are writing something more narrative like you are.

And welcome to AARland. I hope you enjoy AAR writing :)

Thanks to everyone for their support.
Enewald - My vassals must believe in Richard's cause beacause the only ones with loyalty below 50% are : Count of Thouars 48% and Count of Auvergne 22%
Stnylan - Thanks. I'll try to stick to your advice.
Next update coming soon!

Last edited:

Chapter 4 : Fall of Dorset​

Anno Domini 1190​

After the failed Irish invasion Richard turned to Dorset believing that if he managed to capture his father the war would be over. Things turned out quite differently...

On 2nd October Richard's troops landed in Exeter but Richard didn't waste his time and immediately marched to Sommerset.

On 11th October Sommerset was captured and Richard's weak army marched towards Dorset hoping to end the war before it was completly destroyed.

On 29th October Dorset's mighty walls fell thanks to the swiss mercenaries and their catapults. The royal palace and the city were destroyed. But the war was far from over.

Victory.jpg

29th October
Afternoon in Dorset's royal palace​

Richard pushed away a piece of debris and looked at the remains of the royal palace. He sighed and sat on a rock.

So I have failed and the war is over.... My soldiers didn't found my father and now I'll probably be put in prison or banished from the kingdom. Suddenly a cough interrupted his thinking.

He stood up and looked around. The coughing seems to come from one of the sleeping rooms...
Richard slowly walked towards the royal chamber and entered one of the rooms where he saw his father pierced with a part of the destroyed ceiling. The King of England looked at his son and his face twisted with disgust.

So you came to mock me? Killing me isn't enough? - Henry's coughed up some blood and closed his eyes - Leave me and let me die in peace.
Richard couldn't say a word, his father was dying in front of him because of his actions. After a while he said - I didn't plan this to like this... I wanted to capture you and make you give me the crown... And kill after i would give it to you? - With his last remains of strength Henry looked in son's eyes. I would banish you and John out of my kingdom... I wouldn't kill you... - Richard responded to him. - I can offer you a quick death if you want it.
Richard's while of weakness has ended and he came back to his old proud self.
Henry's response was lying still with his eyes closed.
Richard turned around and went out of the room.

Anno Domini 1190​

After the news of Henry's death reached the duchies and counties of England most of them has pledged allegiance to Richard but John has pledged to kill Richard after he heard of his father's death. The Irish dukes of Connacht and Ulster have decided to help John being afraid of Richard's wrath.

England.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that is certainly one way to inherit. Good old traditional Angevin way as well - civil war.

Good to see that you have heeded the advice to break up the blocks of text. Makes your writing much easier to folow on the screen. :)

Nice twist that Richard isn't able to defeat his father, but wins anyway by the old man dying. Was he killed by event in battle or did he merely croak conveniently from old age? Anyhow, a shame, I would have liked to see Richard sweat it out some more. I love to read of failures and setbacks in AARs, they are often more dramatic than successes. :D But the (un-) timely death of old Henry is also a nice development. :)

I'm intrigued to see how Richard will deal with his brother. He's more powerful, but he can't yet be sure of his nobles' loyalties, and I guess that he should be rather broke after that long war. And naval invasions are costly.

Chapter 5 : King of England​

Anno Domini 1193
Late Morning at the city of Hereford​

Richard looked at the biggest stronghold in England and the new royal palace. After Dorset was destroyed he needed to find a new place from wich to rule England and Hereford was ideal for it. A already huge stronghold was built there in Henry's early years as he wanted to conquer Wales but failed beacause of Richard's rebellion, the only thing needed to be built was a palace which was constructed in December 1192.

Overwiev of Richard's first years as King

After Richard took the crown John continued fighting him, Richard's treasury however was empty and english dukes weren't very loyal to the new king so he proposed his brother a white peace, leaving John Ireland. The only reason John accepted the offer was his fear of Richard.

And so on October 1192 Richard was crowned in Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire. After the coronation Richard stabilized the situation in England and rewarded the french dukes with land and titles. The following years were peacefull with the royal treasury slowly filling and the count's losing their rebellious spirit.

In 1193 John ruling over Ireland became suspicious, seing Richard's assassins in everyone he saw. After few months he died after refusing to eat anything as he claimed it to be poisoned. After John's death his 3 years old son has came to rule Ireland. A regency council was established and it's first decision was pledging allegiance to Richard because of the rising tension between irish people and english nobles. Soon after ireland pledged allegiance to him Richard crowned himself King of Ireland becoming a great power in Europe.

Richard sighed and walked out of the snow covered gardens and entered his castle.

So? - He asked his marshals. One of them raised his head and replied. - We think we found the best way to invade Scotland. Our main army will attack from the south which should make the scots come to the south while our smaller armies will invade from the north quickly ending the war. If the scots would leave some of their armies in the north our main army would have no problem invading the south so either way the scots are deafeted.
Good. - Richard turned around and leaved the room.
Soon Wales will be mine and i'll be able to focus on Scotland. I'll be the first person to unite The British isles... Richard the Conqueror... Richard the Mighty...
Richard walked to his room with his head filled with dreams of conquests...

On 1194 duchess of Brittany died and was succeded by Arthur Angevin count of Kent and so England has took control of the whole northern France cutting France away from the channel however few months later Duke of Normandy has been killed by an unknown assassin which lead to Normandy landing in French hands.

Brittany.jpg

Last edited: