• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's been so long since I've read French that it took me a second to figure out what you wrote.

Thank you. Though this AAR is not finished. I'm simply swamped with real life things and I don't work much so I have little time to post. Hopefully there will be a future post soon.

It will be called 'The Sons of Gaius Aurelius Cotta' once I get time to post.

Sons of Cotta​

Publius Valerius Falto (16 March 534 - 29 July 536)

With peace in Rome came yet another reelection for Publius Valerius Falto. He had quickly gone from the brother of a deranged man to the shining example of what Rome was. Publius may not have been a military man, but already two of the world's greatest powers had bent knee to his will. Both Carthage and now Macedonia have faced the might of Rome and learned that they could not compare. Both still had great power and then there still remained the lands of Egypt. These three states were what stood in the way of Rome and eternal glory.

Even still Rome had other priorities at this time. Firstly, Publius was forced to name a new Legate to the Third. During their trip across the Adriatic, Tiberius Valerius Labeo, had falled overboard. His replacement, Marcus Lucius Rufus, met his men in the north at Gallia Cisalpina. It was there that the military assisted in the colonization of a new Roman territory. The troops had removed any bandits or barbarian forces in the area just after the 536 election which saw Publius reelected once again.

Before the region was truly considered part of Rome, Publius passed away. The stress of two major wars had been to much on his body. His replacement was Quintus Aurelius Cotta.

Quintus Aurelius Cotta (29 July 536 - 16 March 538)​

Quintus was the eldest son of Gaius Aurelius Cotta. His father had become Legate of the Second back in 487. In this position he proved his skill as a very talented Legate as he fought in the First Punic War, helped reclaim northern Italia, and captured Greco-Carthage during the Second Punic War. Before his death Gaius had three sons who would all become prominent figures of Rome. Quintus had become Dux of Taulanti following the Greco-Roman War. His brother Tiberius became Dux of Corsica while Sextus went on to join the First Legion.

Quintus finished his term as Consul with no great interest to continue. He did not enjoy the politics of Rome. For that reason when he left the Consulship he was more then happy to become Dux of Picenum.

Lucius Manlis Flaccus (16 March 538 - 16 March 540)​

Lucius was a surprise to the people of Rome. He had achieved nearly nothing in his time as Dux of Picenum. He only held the position because nobody else had asked. Now here he was as Consul of Rome. Thankfully his term was as calm as that of Quintus. The only difference being that Lucius had to sign a form naming a new Legate. Decimus Valerius Cotta, Legate of the First, had passed away from a wound he had suffered during the Greco-Roman War. His replacement was Sextus Aurelius Cotta. Who also ran for Consul the very next year.

Sextus Aurelius Cotta (16 March 540 - 16 March 546)​

Even though Sextus was still an unknown he was named Consul to replace Lucius who people still did not understand how he had risen to such a position. Sextus was the youngest Legate of Rome and now the youngest Consul in the history of Rome. No matter he was honored to hold a position of such importance. Rome was in need of a military man. It had been six years since the end of the Greco-Roman War which meant that Macedonia was now prepared for a second war. Then there was still Carthage. They had fourteen years of peace between the two nations. Even more frightening they had a new powerful ally. Egypt. Both of these nations were future enemies of Rome.

Nevertheless when he became Consul there was no war going on. For this reason he had time to increase the might of Rome. He went about this both in a military sense as well as a civic sense. He formed the Third Navy under Tiberius Horatius Dives as well as the Fifth Legion under Aulus Aufidius Rufus. Lands were also colonized north of the Alps and in Greece. Nearly doubling the size of their Greek territories and almost connecting the two regions of Roman control.

It was at this time a massive army of 40,000 barbarians came rampaging over the Alps. Sextus moved his First Legion to protect the newly colonized Paleoveneti. He was unsuccessful and the lands were lost. The newly formed Fifth intercepted them in Bononia but were also defeated. Before the 542 elections the Fourth reclaimed Paleoveneti and was moving south towards Bononia. The increase revenue and the return of Paleoveneti was enough to see Sextus keep his position as Consul for a second term. The Fourth was also beaten and then the First failed in yet another attempt to force the barbarians out of Bononia.

It was not until July of 542 that they were finally defeated by the Fifth Legion. Shortly after both newly elected men of the Fifth Legion and Third Navy passed away. Deciums Cassius Scipio and Gnaesus Atilius Cotta replaced them. Many believed with Aulus' victory over the barbarians he would be elected Consul in 544. With his death Sextus was able to keep the position.

Shortly after the election and with difficulties brewing in Greece, Sextus formed an alliance with the Aetolian League. Their vast army of 50,000 men would be a great deterrent for Macedonia to start any war with Rome he believe. He also had the Fourth moved from northern Italia to Greece in preparation of a conflict with Macedonia. As it turned out it was not Macedonia but Carthage he should have been payting attention to. They had begun a war to regain Hispania from Massillia and Rome's ally needed their assistance to bring the war to Carthage.

Which Sextus was happy to do. And just in time for the 546 election.

I was wondering where you disappeared to :) just saw this Rome AAR so I will have to read it when I get time. Was starting to think you disappeared from writing all together! But glad I found another AAR by you.

The alliance with the Aetolian League will hopefully protect your rear while you focus on Carthage. Time to take them down a peg...

Having a war with Carthage might be very helpful for Sextus. Just so long as the war fares well, of course.

Been quite busy with school. I'm writing two senior research papers this year so even now I don't have a lot of time. Should hopefully have the rest of this AAR posted in the next couple of weeks.

I hope so too.

Massila's Aid​

Sextus Aurelius Cotta (16 March 546 - 16 March 548)​

With Rome's Legions spread out between northern Italia and Greece it was not until June of 546 that the first Roman soldier set foot on Carthaginian land. This was men of the Fourth who landed on the island of Malta. Three days later the Fifth landed on the beaches of Carthage itself where they fought off an army of eight thousand men to begin the siege of the great city.

By October of 546 the Third had joined the Fifth and the island of Malta had surrendered to the Fourth. These men took ship to begin the capture of the eastern Carthiginian lands which connected them to their ally, Egypt.

In November a much larger army moved to relieve the siege of Carthage. Thanks to the added support of the Third they were able to make quick work of this army too. By the end of the month the Fourth had taken two additional provinces and were sweeping west. Seeing how effective the Fourth was at capturing cities Sextus took over in the south and sent the Fourth to assist in the capture of Carthage.

Sixteen days later Carthage fell at the hands of the Fourth Legion with few casualties. Tiberius Cassius Cethegus was a hero of Rome. In the Greco-Roman War he captured Moesi, Dardonia, and Macedon. Now in this war he had captured four provinces including Carthage. In honor of his victories Sectus brought Tiberius home and held a Triumph for him.

This was the worst thing he could have done. Learning that Tiberius was returning to Rome, Carthage was able to convince Massilua to sign a peace treaty with no loss of territory or any other reprisals. Carthage had played Massilia and was able to get out of a losing war with no real losses except for lives.

Sextus was furious with this but there was nothing he could do. Now he had to focus on the 548 elections. Most of the men who put their names forward were no great threat except one. The very man he just held a Triumph for, Tiberius Cassius Cethegus.

Second Macedonia War​

Sextus Aurelius Cotta (16 March 548 - 14 March 554)​

In an upset victory Sextus was able to keep his position as Consul. Retaining his position Sextus went about improving the lands newly colonized as the minor barbarian invasion had finally stopped in northern Italia and Western Greece. Temples, forums, and defensive walls sprung up in all the colonies. The lands became irrigated and four major iron deposits were found, greatly improving the armies' weapons and armor.

As these improvements were going on Sextus found himself once again facing Tiberius Cassius Cethegus in both the 550 and 552 elections. The first was another upset victory by Sextus. The second looked to be going in Tiberius' favor until Sextus had to use his family wealth and influence. Both of his brothers being Dux and his own military connections saw him keep office for another term, though it looked like this would be his last. The majority of their savings were depleted to keep him in office.

Sextus knew that the following election he would unlikely keep the office of Consul. With this being his last term he decided to bring Rome to one final war. So in April of 552 the First, Second, Third, and Fifth Legions all swarmed into Macedonian controlled lands. These men faced little resistance as Macedonia was currently in a war in Gaul in an attempt to subjugate allies which could be used to threaten Rome on a second front. The Fourth was positioned in the unsettled lands of Illyria in order to keep the Macedonian armies from returning to their homes.

In Greece the Third struck first in capturing much of their northern lands. The remaining three Legions split the southern lands between them with Sextus and his First Legion getting the glory of besieging Macedon itself. While the northern lands fell easily to Rome's might the southern lands proved far more difficult. This difficulty gave Macedonia time to return it's armies from their recent wars in the west which had been cut short. One army after another began it's trip back to Greece and each found it's path cut off by Tiberius' Fourth Legion. Proving that he was the greatest military mind of his age with only ten thousand men under his command he defeated three armies of equal size. Then in December of 553 a vast army of forty thousand men led by the Macedonian King struck the Fourth Legion which had been depleted to only half of their original size. The Fourth held out for two months before they were finally destroyed to the man. Among those to fall was Tiberius Cassius Cethegus himself.

Fearing this vast army that was able to defeat and kill such a great man, the Senate made peace with Macedonia. No lands exchanged hands, but Macedonia gave up their claim on Greece as well as surrendered their subjects they made in Gaul. With the 554 election coming up it was obvious that Sextus would retain his position as Consul now that Tiberius was dead. However, in a surprising move Sextus chose to not run for Consul. Instead upon his return to Rome he disbanded the Senate and named himself King of Rome. Oddly enough this was met with great cheer from the people as they were angry at the Senator's fear of the Macedonians.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That brings me to the end of this AAR as Sextus became King and the Republic of Rome had come to an end. I hope you all enjoyed the AAR.

Sextus Cotta, Rex Romanorum... Certainly not what I expected to happen to him after the last update. :)

Thanks for the AAR, I greatly enjoyed it. Nice to see you parallel real history: in the end, the Republic is not undone by any external foe, but by the ambitions of its leaders. Although it sounds like Macedonia could've given you a run for your money with that army.

Any post-script on the Reign of Cotta Rex, or general comments on how your game developed further, or are you truly done with it now?

I will most likely not make a follow up post. As for Macedonia beating me unlikely. I still had that 50k death stick I could have called into the war.

I will most likely not make a follow up post. As for Macedonia beating me unlikely. I still had that 50k death stick I could have called into the war.

Ah well, one can always ask, right? :) Thanks again for the AAR. And I missed the 50k Doomstack (that's what I get for skim-reading at work).