• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35541)

Crickett<br>Pieces Interactive
Oct 24, 2004
General gameplay and the turn system

Welcome to the first Leviathan: Warships developer diary!

My name is Johan Hellberg and for the last year, I have been working on Leviathan: Warships as both Producer and Lead Designer, trying to shape the game into something you, the players, will enjoy. I’m looking forward to hearing your feedback on the game as we get closer to release! In this part of the developer diary I will go through the most basic concept in Leviathan: Warships, namely the turn system. This is the heart of the Leviathan: Warships experience and something that offers players many ways to play the game at their own pace.

So how does the turn system work?
Each turn is divided into two phases: The Planning Phase and The Result Phase.

The Planning Phase
During the planning phase each player sets the movement orders for each ship and specifies any manual targets for their weapons. The player is free to take their time here. They can switch between all on-going games as all games are stored on our server, so it is easy to continue playing on any platform.

There is an option to enable a timer during the planning phase for those players that want a quicker, almost real-time game. We offer multiple turn time limits, from 30 seconds limit on a turn, up to one week. When the timer runs out, the game is auto-committed. 30 second blitz games can be a little hectic and intense, but are often immensely fun.

When all players have committed their turns, the results are calculated and sent to all players who can then view the results of their orders.

The Result Phase
The result phase is 10 seconds long which we feel is just about long enough for the player to have good tactical choices without feeling that they lose control over their fleet. You cannot influence the game during this phase, only watch in glee or horror as your plan plays out before you.

The turn system really makes the game highly flexible for the player. You can easily have multiple games running at the same time. We have support for both in-game notifications and e-mail notifications so you’ll know when a new turn is available in a game.

In the next Development Diary, we’ll go into more detail about cross-platform and how to play with your friends.

This turn system sounds very similar to the one in Frozen Synapse. Not a bad thing in my opinion as I like that system. I think I'll keep an eye on this.

Nice :D

Can we play 2 games (game sessions) in the same time?
Like in 60 seconds games, can we change between them quickly?

You can have as many games running simultaneously as you want (or can keep track of). :)

These games can be versus games or even co-op games.

You have a menu in-game so you can quickly switch between games.

I'm extremely expectant of Leviathan! My levels of anticipation is on par with BG:EE (which kind of bombed) and CKII (which totally delivered). I must admit I've been checking this forum more often than is healthy the last couple of weeks.

The game play looks fantastic and very exiting. As someone who loved the old Man of War (the tabletop game) from Games Workshop this is kind of a dream come true :)

Keep up the good work good Sirs!