• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We haven't had a carpet siege button for the player for... since... well, never... and EU4 was released 7 years ago.
But the game had carpet siege mechanic prior 1.31. It was just for the AI but the code was in the vanilla game. Right now they are going to add a button to allow us to do it...

• 2Like
Reactions:
Its not a QoL only, as it has a lot of AI logic for it.

It has been Paradox policy since 2006 that features for expansions should be QoL, flavor or give the player more power. No matter how much complaints we get about it, its sadly the fact that its the most popular features that people are most willing to pay for.

If you wonder why we still make expansions for EU4 8 years after release, its due to that policy.

Add queued building construction to this DLC and I will buy it. Maybe it's a more wide than tall play QOL. and my pet issue. I do not understand why I cannot queue buildings after however many years and DLC, and basically every other paradox game does it.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I have to say I agree that locking such a MASSIVE QoL improvement behind the pay wall is really pretty *expletive here*. Frankly, tying that to continued development is also pretty absurd in my opinion. So, the argument is that basically the expansion is garbage without the carpet siege because that is what people are going to pay for? Ridiculous. I would buy the expansion and NOT because of carpet siege, but to be quite honest, locking it behind the expansion instead of the accompanying patch will seriously make me consider not buying it as protest. That is just bad form, say what you want. Carpet siege is not new content, which is what people pay for with expansions, it is a QoL feature (that as pointed out already exists in some form in the game for the AI).

• 10Like
Reactions:
Yeah I have to say I agree that locking such a MASSIVE QoL improvement behind the pay wall is really pretty *expletive here*. Frankly, tying that to continued development is also pretty absurd in my opinion. So, the argument is that basically the expansion is garbage without the carpet siege because that is what people are going to pay for? Ridiculous. I would buy the expansion and NOT because of carpet siege, but to be quite honest, locking it behind the expansion instead of the accompanying patch will seriously make me consider not buying it as protest. That is just bad form, say what you want. Carpet siege is not new content, which is what people pay for with expansions, it is a QoL feature (that as pointed out already exists in some form in the game for the AI).
That's how things work with every DLC that came before. By paying for DLC you're supporting devs and continuation of development of the game. Sure some essential things are locked and i get it that no one likes that. If you compare for example WoW you're also buying expansions plus you pay for subsrciption.

Reactions:
Perhaps I err on being too naive but I want to give PDX some credit and believe they aren't going to shelf EU4 just because a single expansion-DLC flops.
given some DLC's they have released in the past it is quite improbable, only if they had EU5 in the works, which is also improbable

• 2Like
Reactions:
(just to clarify and have it all in one place)

- Totemism religion
- Extend Regencies, Estate-led regencies
- Draft Transports
- Monuments
- Play Tall #1 - Expand Infrastructure
- Play Tall #2 - NOT SHOWN YET
- Play Tall #3 - NOT SHOWN YET
- Colonial Nations - NOT SHOWN YET
- Carpet Siege
- New ways for favors, including Curry Favor Diplomatic Action.
- Diplomatic Action #1 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #2 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #3 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #4 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #5 - not shown yet
- Lots of mission trees for South East Asia and for North America
- Music
- Lots of new unit-graphics.

Also in the free accompanying patch
- New ideagroups for Theocracy, Steppe Hordes and Natives.
- Huge Naval Rebalance
- (for older expansions), rework of north american natives mechanics.
- Canal changes
So Sikhism and Zoroastrianism changes are patch or DLC?

Reactions:
A bit confused, it's written in Steam post that there'll be "new religions" with this expansion, does that point out to new mechanics for existing religions that we saw in earlier DDs or are we going to see new religions?

Reactions:
All these unrevealed features... And here I thought it couldn't be more than a month away now.
They still have one third of the paid features for DDs, release might not come so soon.

- Carpet Siege
Wait, has this been revealed before? I can't remember.

• 1Like
Reactions:
- Diplomatic Action #1 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #2 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #3 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #4 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #5 - not shown yet

That's a lot of weeks of DDs before we see any release date on the horizon...

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Surely, the game would collapse if you would allow every player to carpet siege! It's the carpet sieging that makes the game great and profitable, not new mechanics, flavor etc.
Locking QoL features behind DLC is actually semi-pay-to-win. Late game wars are incredible boring because 90% of the time is spent on - guess what - carpet sieging! Dividing stacks, then sending 2k to 100 enemy provinces.
So the logic here is like this: you want to have easier time with the feature THAT IS CURRENTLY (for at least 3 patches IIRC) IN THE GAME FOR AI ONLY - pay us!
You don't want to pay? Well there, pleb - have fun doing it manually.
They have to make money. They can't just make DLC indefinitely if no-one buys it; very few people are going to make up their mind whether to buy base game because of carpet sieges or other little QoL things, so making it a free feature doesn't pay itself back for the time spent. People who buy the base game will buy DLC with QoL things, however, so the time spent does actually return on investment and help the devs pay off student loans. It's not that we owe paradox to buy their DLC, it's just that if we don't then they can't & won't keep making it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Amen, brother! I'll never understand why it is ok to buy world of warcraft expansions AND pay a monthly subscription to play, but it's not ok to buy a 20$ DLC once or twice a year for a game you love...
And dont forget that additionally to all that they expect you to additionally pay for graphical stuff (Mounts, Pets). And quite a lot sometimes.

So yeah compared to that EU4 DLCs are a bargain.

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
You can dress up how you describe new "features" however you want and it won't change the fact that most of these "features" are naff buttons you press or just pointless, for example you're calling "Draft Transports" a feature when all it does is build some boats?? Seriously? All monuments are are a set of modifiers you can pump gold into. Music and Sprites don't count because they're useless bloat you unnecessarily ship with actual gameplay affecting DLC to justify a higher price (Unit sprite packs not selling enough eh?). Carpet siege as with all QoL should be free, etc etc.

Primarily what I don't understand is how official eu4 content is so lackluster. Modders are making content that blows DLCs out of the water constantly and they're often individuals or small teams who don't take a paycheck from the game and just do it out of passion, rather than being an actual multi-national games studio like Paradox.

At the end of the day I think 8 years is too long to support any game for, especially eu4, as the development team changes and more and more dlc comes out it becomes increasingly more expensive and less time effective to create new content for that game, as you have to mess around with testing unusual dlc combinations (the number of different dlc combinations has got to be in the thousands at this point right?) and 9 year old spaghetti code that almost undoubtedly wasn't written by whoever is working on it now. Not to mention how the vision of the game changes as the project lead inevitably changes. Another thing to consider is that consumer attitudes change and what was once deemed cool no longer does it for fans, with an 8 year game support life cycle as you're finding now you have to try and desperately hamfist the game into doing what it wasn't designed to do (playing tall is the example I'm thinking of.)

I know that eu5 is being worked on currently and I can say without a doubt that even if it's the greatest game ever on launch (it'll probably be a critical flop since it'll be a shallow and unchallenging husk of a game with obviously missing features and QoL being withheld to sell more dlc down the line) then by the end of its life cycle it'll be considered the same as eu4 is now if managed the same.

Oh btw the very fact you had to make this thread should tell you everything you need to know. ;)
Yes I'm fully expecting a ban because lol can't criticise pdx. :oops:
(btw I'll take back everything I said i you rework the economy.)

• 26Like
Reactions:
You can dress up how you describe new "features" however you want and it won't change the fact that most of these "features" are naff buttons you press or just pointless, for example you're calling "Draft Transports" a feature when all it does is build some boats?? Seriously? All monuments are are a set of modifiers you can pump gold into. Music and Sprites don't count because they're useless bloat you unnecessarily ship with actual gameplay affecting DLC to justify a higher price (Unit sprite packs not selling enough eh?). Carpet siege as with all QoL should be free, etc etc.

Primarily what I don't understand is how official eu4 content is so lackluster. Modders are making content that blows DLCs out of the water constantly and they're often individuals or small teams who don't take a paycheck from the game and just do it out of passion, rather than being an actual multi-national games studio like Paradox.

At the end of the day I think 8 years is too long to support any game for, especially eu4, as the development team changes and more and more dlc comes out it becomes increasingly more expensive and less time effective to create new content for that game, as you have to mess around with testing unusual dlc combinations (the number of different dlc combinations has got to be in the thousands at this point right?) and 9 year old spaghetti code that almost undoubtedly wasn't written by whoever is working on it now. Not to mention how the vision of the game changes as the project lead inevitably changes. Another thing to consider is that consumer attitudes change and what was once deemed cool no longer does it for fans, with an 8 year game support life cycle as you're finding now you have to try and desperately hamfist the game into doing what it wasn't designed to do (playing tall is the example I'm thinking of.)

I know that eu5 is being worked on currently and I can say without a doubt that even if it's the greatest game ever on launch (it'll probably be a critical flop since it'll be a shallow and unchallenging husk of a game with obviously missing features and QoL being withheld to sell more dlc down the line) then by the end of its life cycle it'll be considered the same as eu4 is now if managed the same.

Oh btw the very fact you had to make this thread should tell you everything you need to know. ;)
Yes I'm fully expecting a ban because lol can't criticise pdx. :oops:
(btw I'll take back everything I said i you rework the economy.)
To be fair, CK3 was critically acclaimed, so I don't see any reason to assume that EU5 would be in any way a flop. If anything, CK3 benefitted from chaff CK2 features being removed. The same would be true of a potential EU5 (and if anything, EU4 has even more "chaff" features at this point).

But I agree with others that carpet siege button should be a free feature. For shame Paradox, for shame. Meanwhile, I don't think any of us would have a problem with new Ideagroups being locked behind the paywall.

• 11Like
Reactions:
They have to make money. They can't just make DLC indefinitely if no-one buys it; very few people are going to make up their mind whether to buy base game because of carpet sieges or other little QoL things, so making it a free feature doesn't pay itself back for the time spent. People who buy the base game will buy DLC with QoL things, however, so the time spent does actually return on investment and help the devs pay off student loans. It's not that we owe paradox to buy their DLC, it's just that if we don't then they can't & won't keep making it.
Except that’s predicated that the DLCs are being bought for QOL changes. If that’s not the case, it doesn’t matter monetarily where they insert it. Personally, I don’t care. They could complicate the UI, obfuscate the tooltips, and engage in stupid relocations of buttons and I’d still be determining whether or not I want to buy the DLC based on its content. For me, Carpet Siege isn’t even a bonus to the DLC, it’s a giant “meh”. I think it’s a bit ridiculous to not have it be base game (like being able to culture convert provinces to cultures other than your own), but I’m rather apathetic to where it’s placed as it’s a convenience I probably won’t use too much.

Reactions:
The carpet sieging seems like a weird decision, because I feel like that feature fixes a really common problem in the core gameplax loop and if I was showing my game to new players I wouldn't want them to see it with that flaw still in it, but maybe after 10 years getting new players to stay isn't that important anymore.

But other than that the list reads much more promising than the actual announcement :) Johan should change to the marketing department!

Definite buy with or without the carpet sieging, if the forum isn't a desaster area the week after release.

• 3Like
Reactions:
You can dress up how you describe new "features" however you want and it won't change the fact that most of these "features" are naff buttons you press or just pointless, for example you're calling "Draft Transports" a feature when all it does is build some boats??
Uhhh... the entire game is just buttons you press. Where's the rub?

• 13Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions: