• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
(just to clarify and have it all in one place)

- Totemism religion
- Extend Regencies, Estate-led regencies
- Draft Transports
- Monuments
- Play Tall #1 - Expand Infrastructure
- Play Tall #2 - NOT SHOWN YET
- Play Tall #3 - NOT SHOWN YET
- Colonial Nations - NOT SHOWN YET
- Carpet Siege
- New ways for favors, including Curry Favor Diplomatic Action.
- Diplomatic Action #1 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #2 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #3 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #4 - not shown yet
- Diplomatic Action #5 - not shown yet
- Lots of mission trees for South East Asia and for North America
- Music
- Lots of new unit-graphics.

Also in the free accompanying patch
- New ideagroups for Theocracy, Steppe Hordes and Natives.
- Huge Naval Rebalance
- (for older expansions), rework of north american natives mechanics.
- Canal changes

• 40Like
  • 15Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Carpet siege button in EXPANSION?? Locking QoL buttons behind paywall is just.... I don't want to get a ban for bad words but shame on you!
Also - the code for carpet siege is currently IN THE GAME (AI dividing army into several 1/2k stacks and siegeing unfortified provinces) - it's just that only AI can use it.

• 69Like
Reactions:
Carpet siege button in EXPANSION?? Locking QoL buttons behind paywall is just.... I don't want to get a ban for bad words but shame on you!
Its not a QoL only, as it has a lot of AI logic for it.

It has been Paradox policy since 2006 that features for expansions should be QoL, flavor or give the player more power. No matter how much complaints we get about it, its sadly the fact that its the most popular features that people are most willing to pay for.

If you wonder why we still make expansions for EU4 8 years after release, its due to that policy.

• 46Like
Reactions:
Do these count as 1 action or 4? Or are the top 3 part of "new ways for favors"? (thanks to @Ixal for spotting this on the steam store page in the announcement thread)

leaky.jpg

• 14Haha
  • 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:

It has been Paradox policy since 2006 that features for expansions should be QoL, flavor or give the player more power. No matter how much complaints we get about it, its sadly the fact that its the most popular features that people are most willing to pay for.

If you wonder why we still make expansions for EU4 8 years after release, its due to that policy.
Surely, the game would collapse if you would allow every player to carpet siege! It's the carpet sieging that makes the game great and profitable, not new mechanics, flavor etc.
Locking QoL features behind DLC is actually semi-pay-to-win. Late game wars are incredible boring because 90% of the time is spent on - guess what - carpet sieging! Dividing stacks, then sending 2k to 100 enemy provinces.
So the logic here is like this: you want to have easier time with the feature THAT IS CURRENTLY (for at least 3 patches IIRC) IN THE GAME FOR AI ONLY - pay us!
You don't want to pay? Well there, pleb - have fun doing it manually.

• 20Like
Reactions:

Some people expect free updates for life with their game purchase... That's not sustainable, except maybe for games like Minecraft that appeal to a huge player base.
Great work on the DLC by the way! Can't wait to buy it.

• 9Like
Reactions:
  • 19Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Also - the code for carpet siege is currently IN THE GAME (AI dividing army into several 1/2k stacks and siegeing unfortified provinces) - it's just that only AI can use it.

We haven't had a carpet siege button for the player for... since... well, never... and EU4 was released 7 years ago.

I'm quite biased because I love EU4 and there are almost no singleplayer games out there that are kept alive by their original developer 7 years after its release.

If the expansion is shit, I won't buy it. If you think PDX screwed up, vote with your wallet. They'll surely get the memo.

• 3Like
Reactions:
If the expansion is shit, I won't buy it. If you think PDX screwed up, vote with your wallet. They'll surely get the memo.
That's the problem tho, if we stop buying dlcs, then they stop developing EU4. And I personally don't want that... so imma just keep sending money as long as the updates keep coming

• 5Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Tbh, my own views on Paradox DLC policy is that I consider it like a MMO.

I mean, the amount of hours I play PDX games is easily tenfold what I invest in any single player game even the longest ones, so even though total EUIV DLC price is a few hundred bucks without sales, given the fact I played for like 2'000 hours over the 7 last years, I think I'm okay with paying whatever Paradox asks me to pay.
As long as they introduce new things which makes me want to replay a whole campaign with a tag I already played, and not just 3 magic buttons GC-style, of course.

Hell, I even buy Unit packs, even though I already played a whole day with all my Unit packs DLC disabled without noticing it before the end

• 8Like
Reactions:

As unpopular as saying stuff like this can be, it's the reality. It's the same for any company - they sell the stuff that people will buy.

• 10Like
Reactions:
And silly me thought missions for SEA and Indonesia would be either free or part of a Content Pack. I guess it doesn't work because it also includes Totemist/Native stuff, though I thought the policy for expansions was also to make them somewhat more themed and not Rights of Man "Prussia, Ottomans and Fetishist religion". Also just like with Golden Century this DLC includes unit models... sorry, but I don't want to pay for them; for better performance on my crap PC I have them disabled.

As for QoL changes in DLCs... it's a business decision. Basically trading players' good will for some players deciding to buy stuff, because it will make their game less tedious. It's definitely not a thing to treat as "a necessary evil" or just the way it works; some players will complain about it and feel like not supporting/not recommending a creator that does that and it's fully to be expected. It's not something that has to be done and we know that.

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Tbh, my own views on Paradox DLC policy is that I consider it like a MMO.

I mean, the amount of hours I play PDX games is easily tenfold what I invest in any single player game even the longest ones, so even though total EUIV DLC price is a few hundred bucks without sales, given the fact I played for like 2'000 hours over the 7 last years, I think I'm okay with paying whatever Paradox asks me to pay.
As long as they introduce new things which makes me want to replay a whole campaign with a tag I already played, and not just 3 magic buttons GC-style, of course.

Hell, I even buy Unit packs, even though I already played a whole day with all my Unit packs DLC disabled without noticing it before the end

Amen, brother! I'll never understand why it is ok to buy world of warcraft expansions AND pay a monthly subscription to play, but it's not ok to buy a 20$ DLC once or twice a year for a game you love...

• 7Like
Reactions:
- Colonial Nations - NOT SHOWN YET
I've been waiting an eternity for this, it's so nice to have it finally mentioned, even if there are no details! I just hope some if not all the issues below are addressed if not made obsolete by new mechanics:
Considering these reworks and the new religion in Australia, can we possibly see some changes to colonial nations? I would really love to see this:
  • Colonies should be limited to expansion in their region. Perhaps add events and liberty desire for them wanting to expand further as was the case with the Thirteen Colonies wanting to expand west. Colonies should also try to focus on the coast before pushing in and a bit better at colonising across ocean (e.g. Caribbean and Australia).
  • Colonies don't switch colour when you form a different tag. I'm not sure if it was a bug, but my colonies as Holland didn't become orange upon forming the Netherlands.
  • Western Amazon and that basin in California (forgot it's name) wastelands don't get coloured when colonies follow the proper borders of the regions.
  • Subjects' colonies don't integrate into your colonies when inheriting a PU or annexing vassals. I know people like the extra merchants, but I prefer prettier borders.
  • Colonies also no longer convert religion and culture for some reason, probably because of the introduction of expulsion. Perhaps you could even use holy orders like edicts for territories and trade companies to act as a religious centre limited to a state (should help with making Philippines Catholic as Spain).
  • Colonial Nations should always have the primary culture and religion of the overlord upon formation. I noticed that when I expelled Catholic Francien to Louisiana as Anglican Britain, the CN had that culture and religion, possibly because of where the capital spawned.
  • Colonies should also gain a ton of liberty desire if their parent nations is almost fully occupied, and there is historical precedent with Napoleon's occupation of Spain. Colonies in general should get more liberty desire (perhaps through DHEs) during the age of revolution, not less! This would definitely make New World formables more common and prevent Portugal consisting of one Pacific island, running a huge subject in the New World.
  • You should be able dictate the capital of your colonial nation, making the first one free. This is just so that I can set the historical capitals if I wanted to, dictate more defendable or developed land, or even one of the Seven Cities of Gold.
  • Colonial nations should automatically seize colonies, if possible, in their area.

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
That's the problem tho, if we stop buying dlcs, then they stop developing EU4. And I personally don't want that... so imma just keep sending money as long as the updates keep coming

Perhaps I err on being too naive but I want to give PDX some credit and believe they aren't going to shelf EU4 just because a single expansion-DLC flops.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Amen, brother! I'll never understand why it is ok to buy world of warcraft expansions AND pay a monthly subscription to play, but it's not ok to buy a 20$ DLC once or twice a year for a game you love...
Ok so i'm new player to EU4, my friend introduced me to this game and the moment i started to play i loved it. Some DLC are good some bad, i think we can all agree on that. The thing is as long as we buy DLCs we can expect more to come. So why shouldn't we support developers to expand their amaizing game. I certainly want to support them, especially if you take that most of us spend hundreds if not thousands of hours while playing this game. The game simply chalanges you and from my part i'm having great fun.

• 4Like
Reactions: