• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Its not a QoL only, as it has a lot of AI logic for it.

It has been Paradox policy since 2006 that features for expansions should be QoL, flavor or give the player more power. No matter how much complaints we get about it, its sadly the fact that its the most popular features that people are most willing to pay for.

If you wonder why we still make expansions for EU4 8 years after release, its due to that policy.

Pretty mediocre expansions might I add.. Most of them have a solid "mixed" review on steam. Mainly because they add little, are expensive and often include QoL which should've been QoL for all and not just for the fat whales that you keep feeding.

Paradox's DLC policy is a stain on an otherwise good company.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Pretty mediocre expansions might I add.. Most of them have a solid "mixed" review on steam. Mainly because they add little, are expensive and often include QoL which should've been QoL for all and not just for the fat whales that you keep feeding.

Paradox's DLC policy is a stain on an otherwise good company.
most DLC have bad reviews because of people upset about the free patch content actually

Reactions:
@Johan can we get cavalry to infantry ratio in the horde version of aristocratic ideas? also some other ways to get that modifier. Currently the only options are tengri reform and sich rada. Also Sich rada is broken, it is almost impossible to fall into cossacks disaster, thus the only option is to release zaporozhie. Please make some realistic way to enjoy paid feature!

Reactions:
I'm glad there will be more stuff for tall play. I'm currently playing as Switzerland and it's quite boring.

About the new Theocracy ideagroup... will it affect Holy Orders as well?

Its not a QoL only, as it has a lot of AI logic for it.

It has been Paradox policy since 2006 that features for expansions should be QoL, flavor or give the player more power. No matter how much complaints we get about it, its sadly the fact that its the most popular features that people are most willing to pay for.

If you wonder why we still make expansions for EU4 8 years after release, its due to that policy.
Sure, people are willing to pay for QoL features, but that's because they're so badly needed for the base game. That's not an argument for including them in DLC, as much it is acknowledging the flaws of the base game, and the fact that people are basically obligated to buy DLC in order to fix them.

Why can't QoL improvements be free, with DLC only being actual "new" content in the form of additional flavour and new features and mechanics?

Sure, by locking QoL features behind a paywall you can boost sales of DLC, but over the past decade you've also steadily trashed your own reputation, which arguably costs you far more revenue, even as Paradox's total profits and revenue continue to rise.

How many people pirate your games rather than buying them, or simply avoid them altogether because they don't want to have to buy all the DLC (even with the huge discounts of regular sales) in order to have a good and "complete" experience? I know several of the latter, and probably some of the former (even if they don't admit it), and I doubt I'm alone.

How much more money would your games make if people were actually enthusiastic about Paradox as a company, and put more faith in it and its products? It's an incredibly short sighted approach, and it will come back to bite you eventually, just like the way you underpay your staff, or how you largely axed your QA department.

The only reason you can get away with it is because there's no real competition in the market for grand strategy games, but sooner or later that will change. Even amongst my friends who do buy every game and DLC, they simply count the days until there's meaningful competition and they can either jump ship or Paradox is finally forced to change.

You've belatedly made some QoL features and improvements free that previously were gated behind DLC, and I'd naively taken this as a positive sign that you were heading in the right direction as a company. It's a huge shame that by your own admission you're apparently going backwards.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
How many people pirate your games rather than buying them
That number is, for all practical purposes, unknowable. Maybe it's large. Maybe it's small. Without substantive evidence, it's not a useful question, especially when you restrict it to the subset "but would totally have paid if you had a different DLC policy, honest, guv".

Reactions:
Sure, people are willing to pay for QoL features, but that's because they're so badly needed for the base game. That's not an argument for including them in DLC, as much it is acknowledging the flaws of the base game, and the fact that people are basically obligated to buy them.

Why can't QoL improvements be free, with DLC only being actual "new" content in the form of flavours and other features?

Sure, by locking QoL features behind a paywall you can boost sales, but over the past decade you've also trashed your own reputation, which arguably costs you far more revenue, even as Paradox's total profits and revenue continue to rise.

How many people pirate your games rather than buying them, because they don't want to have to buy all the DLC (even with the huge discounts of regular sales) in order to have a good and "complete" experience? How much more money would your games make if people were actually enthusiastic about Paradox as a company, and put more faith in it and its products?

You've belatedly made some QoL features and improvements free that previously were gated behind DLC. It's a shame that by your own admission you're apparently going backwards.
I can tell you of those who pirate only 20% would have actually bought anything if the game was much much cheaper.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Play Tall #1 - Expand Infrastructure

hmm looks like play wide to me.

step 1 Play as russia
step 2 conquer all the steepes
Step 3 dev all steppe to 5/5/10
Step 4 once you have enough land, expand infrastructure in every province
step 5 Build 2 soldiers houses in every province
step 6. 10 million manpower.

• 2Like
Reactions:

step 1 Play as russia
it cost 200 governing capacity for every province

it cost 200 governing capacity for every province
Somewhere between when they announced this feature and Leviathan's reveal it got changed from +200 GC to +50 GC AND +100% GC cost for the province.

You can counteract the +100% cost with the usual GC reducing buildings but not the +50 GC. Thing is, it isn't hard to make room for more GC when you reach ADM tech 24 anyway.

Reactions:
Sometimes people here are like a man dying of thirst who is handed a canteen of water and they complain it isn't chilled.

$20 every 6 months or so is factions of a penny per hour of game play for most players. If you are going to "boycott" all of this content because a feature is not free, your choice and your loss. I will happily pay @Johan and crew my money for Leviathan.

I would just like to point out that in numerous instances which can affect outcome/choices made, the UI still plainly lies to our face every time we play.

The UI has lied to our faces in ways properly documented for more than 6 years in some cases.

You can still get blocked by hostile forts that never existed. You can still get broken by rebels that cannot break you. You can still have cobelligerent nations not be cobelligerent. You can still be banned from taking provinces you can core instantly on the basis that you can't core them...yet are sometimes allowed to take provinces you cannot core. You can still have small stacks arriving at the same time as other stacks get wiped before the other stacks participate. You can still have a battle and not have a battle.

Not an inclusive list, of course. A canteen of water? One of those recent "canteens" broke about a patch later (shift click gold demands in peace deals). I would love things like auto religious converter. Or a functional grant province screen based on best practices somewhere in the neighborhood of the past two decades. Or even to have the old, superior building UI back.

But let's not let the warped priorities in Pdox games warp our own perceptions. EU 4 and HOI 4 are games where the basic controls still don't work. The UI lies to us about what will happen when we pick something or give an input. Repeatedly and reliably. Selling QoL features that I would bet money won't perform at the level of strong player micro before fixing the controls is callous. Ultimately, QoL features do the same job that functional controls do: reduce player time doing rote inputs/doing actions that don't require much thought to progress the game.

Yet we already have to babysit bad UI for:

• Grant province
  • Give province to client state
  • Converting province religions
  • Constructing buildings
  • Removing buildings (which is just awful to do, yet strongly incentivized when conquering land because they made the AI deliberately select bad buildings!)
  • Basic unit movement/changing path when clicking on same target province
  • Naval movement due to randomly re-adding on-arrival attrition because reasons

Just to give a few examples. Some of these are still paid features gated on DLC. I am not the least bit surprised people are complaining when Pdox is trying to sell QoL in a game rife with bad design + outright bugs when it comes to existing QoL.

On a side note - why we draw the line on 'carpet siege should be free patch'? Maybe regencies stuff should also be 'free'? Mission trees (they already inttroduced bunch of Asian trees for free before, why not now also)?
There is a pretty clear line between "attempting to make the controls better" vs "allowing player to do things that were previously not available". Even if the carpet siege UI is perfect (it won't be), it will at best match what elite players are doing with stack splitting/sieging right now.

That's not to say the new stuff is all bad, far from it. 1.30 and 1.31 have a lot of positives for EU 4. But yeah, messing with this kind of QoL thing and selling it while the game still can't honestly tell you whether a battle is going to happen or not is going to rub some people the wrong way for reasons that should be obvious.

Reactions:

step 1 Play as russia
Well, good luck doing that for 50 GC per province.
Wide players already have to manage GC quite well as it is, I don't think they could afford doing it more than once or twice, if at all.

I would just like to point out that in numerous instances which can affect outcome/choices made, the UI still plainly lies to our face every time we play.

The UI has lied to our faces in ways properly documented for more than 6 years in some cases.

You can still get blocked by hostile forts that never existed. You can still get broken by rebels that cannot break you. You can still have cobelligerent nations not be cobelligerent. You can still be banned from taking provinces you can core instantly on the basis that you can't core them...yet are sometimes allowed to take provinces you cannot core. You can still have small stacks arriving at the same time as other stacks get wiped before the other stacks participate. You can still have a battle and not have a battle.

Not an inclusive list, of course. A canteen of water? One of those recent "canteens" broke about a patch later (shift click gold demands in peace deals). I would love things like auto religious converter. Or a functional grant province screen based on best practices somewhere in the neighborhood of the past two decades. Or even to have the old, superior building UI back.

But let's not let the warped priorities in Pdox games warp our own perceptions. EU 4 and HOI 4 are games where the basic controls still don't work. The UI lies to us about what will happen when we pick something or give an input. Repeatedly and reliably. Selling QoL features that I would bet money won't perform at the level of strong player micro before fixing the controls is callous. Ultimately, QoL features do the same job that functional controls do: reduce player time doing rote inputs/doing actions that don't require much thought to progress the game.

Yet we already have to babysit bad UI for:

• Grant province
  • Give province to client state
  • Converting province religions
  • Constructing buildings
  • Removing buildings (which is just awful to do, yet strongly incentivized when conquering land because they made the AI deliberately select bad buildings!)
  • Basic unit movement/changing path when clicking on same target province
  • Naval movement due to randomly re-adding on-arrival attrition because reasons

Just to give a few examples. Some of these are still paid features gated on DLC. I am not the least bit surprised people are complaining when Pdox is trying to sell QoL in a game rife with bad design + outright bugs when it comes to existing QoL.

There is a pretty clear line between "attempting to make the controls better" vs "allowing player to do things that were previously not available". Even if the carpet siege UI is perfect (it won't be), it will at best match what elite players are doing with stack splitting/sieging right now.

That's not to say the new stuff is all bad, far from it. 1.30 and 1.31 have a lot of positives for EU 4. But yeah, messing with this kind of QoL thing and selling it while the game still can't honestly tell you whether a battle is going to happen or not is going to rub some people the wrong way for reasons that should be obvious.

I wholeheartedly agree. I'd really like for the EU4 team to, after releasing this new DLC and fix the upcoming bugs related to it, take a good time and fix the game from the ground up. A thorough examination of the code and the UI. To clean up old stuff that has been plaguing the game forever, optimizing load times and game run and finally making the UI tell us the truth. Perhaps a 6-month or even a 9-month without DLCs, but hell-bent on making this game a better experience to play for everyone.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can tell you of those who pirate only 20% would have actually bought anything if the game was much much cheaper.
I disagree. The majority of people who pirate/steal do so because of inaccessibility of the product. The more accessible or cheaper a product, the less likely people will steal it.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I wholeheartedly agree. I'd really like for the EU4 team to, after releasing this new DLC and fix the upcoming bugs related to it, take a good time and fix the game from the ground up. A thorough examination of the code and the UI. To clean up old stuff that has been plaguing the game forever, optimizing load times and game run and finally making the UI tell us the truth. Perhaps a 6-month or even a 9-month without DLCs, but hell-bent on making this game a better experience to play for everyone.
Unfortunately, 1.30 was supposed to be this kind of patch and see what we got instead.

Reactions:
Unfortunately, 1.30 was supposed to be this kind of patch and see what we got instead.
We got some significant improvements!

Unfortunately, since it wasn't a completely pure bugfix patch, we also got a bunch of new features with significant new bugs.

Of course, the problem with spending 6-9 months on completely pure bugfix work is that after 2-3 months of that, you'll be paying your content design team to twiddle their thumbs.

Reactions:
Sure, people are willing to pay for QoL features, but that's because they're so badly needed for the base game. That's not an argument for including them in DLC, as much it is acknowledging the flaws of the base game, and the fact that people are basically obligated to buy them.

Why can't QoL improvements be free, with DLC only being actual "new" content in the form of additional flavour and new features and mechanics?

Sure, by locking QoL features behind a paywall you can boost sales of DLC, but over the past decade you've also steadily trashed your own reputation, which arguably costs you far more revenue, even as Paradox's total profits and revenue continue to rise.

How many people pirate your games rather than buying them, because they don't want to have to buy all the DLC (even with the huge discounts of regular sales) in order to have a good and "complete" experience? How much more money would your games make if people were actually enthusiastic about Paradox as a company, and put more faith in it and its products?

You've belatedly made some QoL features and improvements free that previously were gated behind DLC. It's a shame that by your own admission you're apparently going backwards.
I am not going to say what is right and wrong here.

Paradox have a game with a loyal fanbase that will pay for DLC's. I am one of them. I will buy the new DLC regardless because EU4 is my favourite game and I don't spend money on other games.

But...

I tried to get someone into the game recently. They bought the base game on sale ages ago but never got into it. Started them off as Castile, thought it was a good nation to explain war (easy war vs Granada if no Ottoman alliance), diplomacy, colonisation, events, disasters, trade goods...the lot.

After a talk through I said, "So the first thing you're going to want to do is disinherit Castile's heir as his lack of monarch points will really hinder your progress".

Little did I know, you can't disinherit in the vanilla game. I was frankly staggered at the amount of small things, that make the game far more enjoyable, were missing from the vanilla game.

For me, I will buy the DLC's no matter what, but I am not sure how accessible the game is for new players when they look at the amount of DLC's and the cost.

• 2Like
Reactions: