• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for the clarification @Johan

I must admit that I didn't realise that PDS policy was for QoL to be in expansions... from my previous reads of the expansion policy I'd assumed expansions to be features and flavour, with the patch being bug-fixing and QoL... but that's more likely to be my selective memory than anything else :)

Your signature link on the Patching and Expansion Policy seems to be broken... by some bizzare twist of hte interweb the only remaining trace seems to be on the total war forum. Given there is ongoing murmuring about PDS policy, I think having the link in your signature is useful.

(On a totally unrelated topic, is there any plan to fix the Random New World trade network display? RNW trade was my favourite part of the game, but its been broken for a long time now :(

It is not something new that QoL features to be in patches. Think about developing for institutions, the old estates, transfer occupation and many more. But something that we did see over the last few years is that this has bitten you in the butt recently and forced you to move QoL features back to the base game. It feels like EU4 is again stuck between what it wants to do and where it wants to go.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It is so unclear in what way the future development of EU4 is moving. For months it was unclear what Leviathan was going to be(free patch like in the past after a big expansion, Immersion Pack, full expansion). Johan, you have said before that you will keep making expansions, as long as people buy it. But what do you want to improve? How does the game look in the future? I think it would be good if you could make an update like HOI4 publishes every now and then:

Reactions:
Sometimes people here are like a man dying of thirst who is handed a canteen of water and they complain it isn't chilled.

$20 every 6 months or so is factions of a penny per hour of game play for most players. If you are going to "boycott" all of this content because a feature is not free, your choice and your loss. I will happily pay @Johan and crew my money for Leviathan.

It depends on how many hour you spent in the last 6 months. The game is becoming more unstable after each dlc because Paradox never looks behind. Look at how the Mandate is broken, how nations keep getting in debt, how mercs are more broken then before, how the hre is half-broken and so on. Why should i pay for a QoL which may actually not be a QoL if something will be broken at launch (i can imagine IA carpet sieging siberia when the main objective of the war is Paris)? If i have to get something broken or unstable i at least hope it is free, i would be happy to be their "free beta tester" because i love this game. If i have to pay for something i would really like it to be either working properly or being fixed for real some weeks later.

I need to remember you IA still can't disband mercenaries properly. EU4 Emperor was released 7 months ago. Why should i give them 20$ after i already gave them 20$ and they haven't kept their promises? Oh, by the way: the amazing quality of life paid-feature from emperor was the "click once get all ducats" in the war tab. You know it is still malfunctioning right?
I will keep playing the game as usual, not pay 20$ for a broken-at-launch DLC (i bet my entire wallet on this) and wait for some more fixes. But since this is a public forum i will not stand down and shut up just because i like those green "Vs" and likes to my comment.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Modders are making content that blows DLCs out of the water constantly and they're often individuals or small teams who don't take a paycheck from the game and just do it out of passion
People who mod games for internet headpats and/or their own amusement often produce amazing results... with an approach to workflow, "attendance", and scheduling that would not go down well at all in a commercial environment.

(And, like, the really impressive mods – things like M&T for EU4, TNO for HoI4, Godherja for CK3, PDM for Vic2 – generally have half a dozen or more core contributors.)

• 1Love
Reactions:
Cannot agree more.
As I see it with all PDX games - you either buy all of DLCs whatsoever (yes, even Sunsen Invasion :p ) or just don't bother. :D
The base game is playable though.And with this patch,there are some stuff that is free even if you don't buy dlcs.So don't say something like "don't bother if you don't buy dlc" because it's not true.The base game is good on it's own.

• 2Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The base game is playable though.And with this patch,there are some stuff that is free even if you don't buy dlcs. So don't say something like "don't bother if you don't buy dlc" because it's not true.The base game is good on it's own.
As good as any other base game. One plays base game? Then one do not care for DLCs, then one cannot expect this game to be supported with free patches after 8 years. It's just not going to work.
I didn't meant base game is bad, I meant that if you are into such games and you are still enjoying EU4, you will buy all the DLCs anyway - because if you ARE into them, you are having thousands of hours on them, basically it's the/one of the cheapest entertainment option you can get nowadays. There is no point in discussing 'why this is not a free patch feature' - such a discussion is ... fruitless? Like I said in previous post - I don't understand why PDX even bother with 'free patch accompanying DLC' stuff. It's not even a goodwill gesture if you think this through - goodwill gesture is releasing CKII update for MAC after game is officially off dev table. EU4 is a living game that is under functional development - anyone actually interested in it's development should expect to pay money for continuation of development anyways.

I'm drifting away... @Johan please please please consider enhancement to RNW mechanics - from proper trade nodes map, to better map templates (geo and politic - i.e. having options like making the Burning Empire powerhouse monster who invades Europe even before Europeans can start exploration), to more scripted ideas for random nations (those tribal allegiance ideas......).

Reactions:
People who mod games for internet headpats and/or their own amusement often produce amazing results... with an approach to workflow, "attendance", and scheduling that would not go down well at all in a commercial environment.
I'm reminded of a thread where someone suggested Paradox should violate Sweden's labor laws because of their business obligation to put out a patch to the debt issue. They seemed to think being internationally traded meant local labor laws didn't matter anymore.

Last edited:
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
I don't understand why PDX even bother with 'free patch accompanying DLC' stuff.
Because the alternatives are "no paid gameplay DLC" or "you have to buy every gameplay DLC if you want to buy the most recent gameplay DLC".

The first is unprofitable, and they actively rejected the second when they constructed the development/release plan for Crusader Kings 2.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Because the alternatives are "no paid gameplay DLC" or "you have to buy every gameplay DLC if you want to buy the most recent gameplay DLC".

The first is unprofitable, and they actively rejected the second when they constructed the development/release plan for Crusader Kings 2.
In fact,the ones they have now since CK2 is a relatively similar policy than games like ETS2 or Train Simulator for example.And for me,it's the best model available.

Reactions:
I hope the developers understand that the main reason almost no one "plays tall" in EU4 is not because it's not optimal/strong strategy (which is true), but because it's not fun. There is no engaging, dynamic mechanics to interact with when you are not expanding, so if you are not adding any with this expansion and go with static buffs like "expand infrastructure" instead, tall play will remain as useless as it is now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I hope the developers understand that the main reason almost no one "plays tall" in EU4 is not because it's not optimal/strong strategy (which is true), but because it's not fun. There is no engaging, dynamic mechanics to interact with when you are not expanding, so if you are not adding any with this expansion and go with static buffs like "expand infrastructure" instead, tall play will remain as useless as it is now.
At least,the estate rework in 1.30 was a step in the right direction in that regard,but that's still not enough,i really look forward to the new regencies though.

• 2Like
Reactions:

I can understand that for like two three years (and that's a st after launch. Any game will require some patch tinkering, more so 'grand strategy' - sometimes such tinkering even creates brand new version of the game (looking at you, Stellaris - GIVE ME BACK MY WORMHOLE GENERATORS!). But after, say, 4 years of development...like I said - this free patch thingy is... I don't really know, why players should care about if it is free or not (and even throwing tantrums about it) - game in active development, you are supposed to support company financially. And when you do pay - do you really care, if something you've paid for someone else got for free? And if you do not pay...well - just go entertain yourself with base game and say thanks (or don't) for ANYTHING company giving you for free - you bought it, it's playable, enjoy...

Reactions:
And when you do pay - do you really care, if something you've paid for someone else got for free?
Yes, people do care about that.

Quite intensely, at times.

Reactions:
I hope players understand, that games like EU4 are descendants of 4X genre - and that second X there is not for nothing. It would be a completely different type of game would it be otherwise

Reactions:
Yes, people do care about that.

Quite intensely, at times.
Can you elaborate? Also, please clarify - how this relates to 'paywall' vs 'free patch' overall discussion?

Personally I do not care, that when I do buy DLC, some portion of it (and I mean free patch accompanying DLC - it's basically a portion of said DLC) being distributed for free.
Nor do I care if CKII, the game I've spend some money to buy in first place, currently in free-to-play mode - I actually even support such a decision, since I can hook people on this glorious journey easier. And I would not ramble, that 'grumble grumble I've paid you mah monie and you giving away free stuff now!'

• 1Love
Reactions:

Also because then bugfixes can still be done on your game, as previously you needed to have latest dlc for latest bug fixes

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you elaborate? Also, please clarify - how this relates to 'paywall' vs 'free patch' overall discussion?

Personally I do not care, that when I do buy DLC, some portion of it (and I mean free patch accompanying DLC - it's basically a portion of said DLC) being distributed for free.
Nor do I care if CKII, the game I've spend some money to buy in first place, currently in free-to-play mode - I actually even support such a decision, since I can hook people on this glorious journey easier. And I would not ramble, that 'grumble grumble I've paid you mah monie and you giving away free stuff now!'
I personally wouldn't even care if a large portion of the older DLCs were made permanently free to onboard more players and expand what patches can focus on tbh.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Its not a QoL only, as it has a lot of AI logic for it.
Do AI nations also benefit from this new carpet siege logic?

The second mothball checkbox in the province view is also interesting.
SecondMothball.png

• 1Like
Reactions: