• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Beginning Tuesday, I'm starting a tutorial series for HOI IV with the USSR and the Waking the Tiger DLC, in which we'll maybe try to restore the Romanovs (if it's possible in HOI IV -- I genuinely don't know) we'll bring back Trotsky. Until then, if there's specific information you'd like me to cover, post it here. I'll post episodes here as I remember to post them, but ideally the same day. You can also catch them on YouTube in the morning if you choose to subscribe!

Last edited:
Romanovs can be restored in Kaiserreich, but I don't think the mod is updated for WtT yet.

Romanovs can be restored in Kaiserreich, but I don't think the mod is updated for WtT yet.

Hmm. I won't play modded yet anyway. Time to change the title, maybe? Will have to actually fire up the game and see what's possible. :)

I don't why you guys keep talking about the Tsar... I never said that!

Stealth edits title. :ninja:

Episode #1 is up (well, was up yesterday, but work, etc.):

correction to the video: some countries can get six research slots (USA, GER, NZL... maybe someone else)

correction to the video: some countries can get six research slots (USA, GER, NZL... maybe someone else)

Thanks for the information; I knew 5 was possible but couldn't remember if six was. Thanks for watching! :)

Speaking of watching, catch Episode #2:

Sorry all, I went on vacation and didn't get a chance to post links here. :) This series is actually over already, and here are episodes #4, #5, and #6 to prove it!

Somehow I missed this thread until now. Gonna actually watch these videos.

I have completed the first 4. You have made some interesting choices. I am really surprised that you committed so little to air research and did not get an air force up. Also, why did you commit so many divisions to Asia? Why did you not build more units, especially motorized and armor?

@Avindian I just finished the last two. I must say I was really really surprised at some of your decisions. You are right, it is a good tutorial for how not to play the Russians. :confused:
I did enjoy it and learned a few things. I have never played the Soviet Union. I don't think bringing Trotsky back is worth doing after watching this. Any new players should be aware to always keep an eye on manpower and have enough political power to choose a higher level in time, since there is a delay before your at maximum. I hope you will try again. :D

I have completed the first 4. You have made some interesting choices. I am really surprised that you committed so little to air research and did not get an air force up. Also, why did you commit so many divisions to Asia? Why did you not build more units, especially motorized and armor?

So -- and this will help answer some of your questions before -- I severely underestimated how much the long delay of Trotsky crippled my military. Building more units was challenging given how hard a time I had just trying to get enough rifles to people. My original strategy was to leave Germany alone and attack Japan (I mentioned this in one of the videos), but foolishly thought I could beat Germany when it looked like it was Germany alone against the world. That accounts for the presence in Asia. Neutral Japan + Axis France really screwed up my strategies.

@Avindian I just finished the last two. I must say I was really really surprised at some of your decisions. You are right, it is a good tutorial for how not to play the Russians. :confused:
I did enjoy it and learned a few things. I have never played the Soviet Union. I don't think bringing Trotsky back is worth doing after watching this. Any new players should be aware to always keep an eye on manpower and have enough political power to choose a higher level in time, since there is a delay before your at maximum. I hope you will try again. :D

I won't necessarily play the USSR again, but there will be more HOI IV at some point.

One other big takeaway: do not play without historical focuses with your first couple of games. Predictability is a major advantage for players to develop strategies. For a more interesting video, I went non-historical focuses, and then didn't adapt my strategy to the reality on the ground. The moment Japan went neutral, I should have shifted the Asian units to the west. As Forster puts it, I definitely needed to get a more mixed force, even if meant sacrificing rifle production.