• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Episode #19:

Quick programming note: I've actually finished playing this campaign, so any advice people have may not be applied until the next EUIV campaign.

Even though you're done playing the campaign, may as well answer your question about estates. I see two main reasons on why not to hand out most of your provinces to estates. First, it raises autonomy to a minimum of 25%, so that means at least 25% less tax income, production, trade power, manpower, force limits, etc. Second, giving provinces to estates raises their influence. While not necessarily a bad thing, if you give them too many provinces and their influence goes above 80%, the estate disaster associated with them will eventually trigger and cause all kinds of nasty effects. It's generally good to only give them enough provinces to keep each estate happy, or give them provinces where the bonuses they give best benefit the province.

Time to whittle down Korea for that juicy Manchuria. At this point they shouldn't be able to put up much resistance after being curbstomped repeatedly by Ming. :p

The autonomy system is one I haven't clearly understood since it was introduced, but your explanation helps a lot!

I guess there won't be another war for some time after losing that much manpower. Looks like Korea's great leader and stats combined with all the attrition from marching that oversized deathstack around didn't help.

Amusing how the moment you say it'll be a peaceful update, one of your allies gets attacked. :p Probably for the best that you ditched Chagatai and left them to their fate.

Colonial expansion seems a decent way to expand your power with Ming remaining quite intact.

I've never seen someone willingly embrace an estate disaster. A noble republic might be nice, but the penalties of having it forced on you are not. :p

Glad to see that estate disaster over. Hopefully it doesn't trigger again with all those province the Bushi now control.

I was also thinking about something, and it's possible that Empire might be your government rank rather than just your government type. I'm not sure if all governments show up as Empire at that rank, but that could be an explanation for it.

Episode #24:

Thanks for the clarification on the rules re: Empires!

Looking forward to seeing Korea get curb-stomped. Ming shouldn't have all the fun.

Also, I could totally hear your neighbour's construction project. :p

Episode #25:

Let me know about the acoustics for the new apartment and whether you can hear me clearly.

Sound seemed fine to me and I had no troubles hearing you. :)

Marching your entire army as one was probably not the best strategy if you wanted to conserve manpower and avoid attrition. It's probably why a third of your losses were from attrition. I used to do that too and aimlessly throw my armies around until I realized just how many men I was wasting for nothing.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the tech difference and leaders had, but it's possible some of the battle losses were from initiating the attack all the time. It's usually better to be the defensive party when you can, since that way you can avoid terrain penalties like river crossings. A good strategy I like to use is place a smaller army in a mountain province or across a river with a larger army hiding nearby, lure the enemy into attacking the smaller army, and once they're committed sending in the much bigger army.

I forgot how extensive Japan's colonies were until I had a better view. Having such extensive holdings in the Philippines and Indonesia is quite handy.

The decimation of your navy was quite a surprise. :eek: Were they not fully upgraded?

Well you lost an ally, but at least you didn't lose any land because of them. :D

Episode #27:

I did really, really badly at keeping my eye on naval affairs throughout the series. Upgrading is super expensive to boot.

I find it amusing that your first European ally is a European that was exiled to the New World. :p

You're always learning new things about games like this. I had no idea you couldn't recover morale while force marching either. Glad you spotted that before it caused a disaster.

Europe is filled with some serious blobs. :eek: