• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Italianajt

The Grand Strategy Nerd
100 Badges
Jul 18, 2013
www.youtube.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • BATTLETECH
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
Did you enjoy my Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play videos of Mali?

Did you even know about my Mali CK2 Let's Play videos?

Who cares? You are here now and that's okay.

Step into the world of great parity among the world's religions. Sunni Islam stretches from the Bay of Biscay to the Asian Steppes and lead by the Sultanate of Persia. Shia Islam is embodied by the powerful Caliphate of Egypt ruling most of Northern Africa and the course of the Nile River. Yet Christianity has not been beaten. The powerful Catholic nations of England, Scotland, and France still exist in an uneasy coalition. But it is the Orthodoxy of the Byzantines and the Holy Roman Empire that lead the Christian world.

And in Africa, a lion bides its time. Hemmed in by their cousins of Maurentia to the north, the Cisse dynasty of Mali are ready to push South and West to expand their influence over the small Muslim and Native tribes around them. Can Mali thrive, or will it be summarily relegated to Western Africa as their forefathers before them?

Join me for 20 minute episodes on YouTube and find your answer! *Cue inspirational music*

Just a note, I'm not very diligent in posting the videos to the forum but I will try to post at least once a week (3 episodes a week) or more.

Episode 0 - Understanding the World of Mali:

Greetings, Itallianajt ! I follow your let's plays, although I don't leave comments on video channels.
Thanks for the Episode 0. This is the first example I've seen of a world arriving from Crusader Kings II. If and when I get the converter CKII -- EUIV, it won't seem entirely incomprehensible.
Now working on my first AAR for an EUIV game. I think I'd like to try something non-European next time. You've given me an idea....

Fabio, you've been following me since my Orleans playthrough in CK2! Thanks for chiming in.

I have to tell you though, you have to do a LOT of fixing with the converted file from CK2 to EUIV. I've done it twice now and this time was much easier as I wasn't trying to implement Orleanian Elective Monarchy like in my first AAR. It is good fun to tweak the world to "how it should be" though and is good practice if you want to continue modding later on.

And Mali has been a pleasant surprise. Not so much fun in CK2 where the damn Sharifids wouldn't let me breakout, but I tell you, with all of the episodes I have already recorded, things are much more fun in EUIV.

Alright, well Episode 1 was more of just setting up all of the diplomatic stuff. While Episode 2 has some of that as the baseline, we also take Mali to war in order to start gobbling up the small countries which dare rise up outside our patrimony!

Good expansion, as you said. Plus your economy doesn't go into the red when you go to war, lucky devil !

Two updates in two days! My word, you must be saying to yourself!

But everyone likes war. We are Paradox fanboys (and girls) after all. War, war never changes. Unless you are a pissed off Mansa with too many small nations around you! Then war changes everything, like the size of your Southern borders.

Episode 3 - Southern Expansion

You need to ball hard, always some overxtension

Admittedly this is one of my worst attributes when playing Paradox games, I'm not aggressive enough. I will try to gobble because an AI Egypt or Maurentia gone wild is not what I need right now. And they will start to be a pain in my North.

Good expansion, as you said. Plus your economy doesn't go into the red when you go to war, lucky devil !

I think I show you that I'm barely making money when I go to war. But, getting rid of the forts (in Episode 3) will help tremendously. Especially since I can, hopefully, have more money to put more ships out there to increase my trade income.

That's the theory anyways.

Time for some fun boys and girls! While my plans to attack people come to naught during this episode. We have already obtained our first National Idea (in Episode 4) and are now trying to work on creating a homogenous Malian people.

Oh and the English are starting some shit with Seville... (Episode 5 - The English Crusade)

You need to take Jolof quick, don't know why you keep them as allies to be honest. They hold important trading provinces that are relatively well developed. Besides, that would fix you sailors issue. Get that colonization of Brazil going fast, and why not Asia as well, they all feed into the Ivory Coast trade node. Ball hard man.

I presume you're heading for the Ivory Coast to colonise. If so, I believe it will boost income significantly.

You need to take Jolof quick, don't know why you keep them as allies to be honest. They hold important trading provinces that are relatively well developed. Besides, that would fix you sailors issue. Get that colonization of Brazil going fast, and why not Asia as well, they all feed into the Ivory Coast trade node. Ball hard man.

Yeah I don't know why either. And then, well things become complicated on that front in Episode 6...or 7. I forget.

I presume you're heading for the Ivory Coast to colonise. If so, I believe it will boost income significantly.

That's where I am going. Hoping to outcolonize the Portuguese in Western Africa. Hoping (fingers crossed).

I think the AI wants me to blob. Why do I think that?

Well, tiny two province Kong decided they would diplomatically insult me. Maybe it's because I actually don't have a route to help out my cousins in Seville (stupid "undiscovered" waters *CURSE YOU CONVERTED FILE*). Whatever the reason. I show them who is the real King of Kong...and Macina. F- those guys too.

Stupid Kong.
For the unchartered waters, wouldn't your cousins in Seville share any maps with you ?

@fabiolundiense I looked for it later in the episode but I couldn't find the option. Maybe I need to look while I'm not recording so that I can actually put my full mental capacity at determining where it would be.

It's been two weeks but have no fear, I am still here! I haven't posted for a while since there wasn't much going on and then I was out on business. But Mali has been doing fine, just fine.

Here we are expanding our colonies like a BAWSS!

Two updates in a day! What the what?

I wanted to post today's episode as well to show that EUIV still knows when you need a good RNG kick in the pants. Here I am just throwing my weight around founding three colonies at one time and Katsina has to go and get all uppity. Guess I should have read the actual Pop-Up Alert before clicking OK.