• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Avindian

People's Commissar of the Navy
120 Badges
Jan 3, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2 Beta
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hi everyone! As a result of a poll, people wanted to see me play Novgorod in EUIV, so beginning tomorrow (that is, Tuesday, 25 July), you'll see exactly that on my channel. The ground rules:

1) Must form Russia.
2) Must remain a Republic, if at all possible.
3) Must only convert to another Christian faith.
4) Preference is given to expanding where Russia historically expanded, but once that's done? The sky's the limit.

I do hope you'll join me, and I'll post new episode links every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday!

So I guess this means we'll get to see what a Russian republic really looks like, oh... wait... :p

I always like the Novgorod to Russia route myself, just to be different. Looking forward to the posting to begin, even if my choice wasn't the winner! ;) :p

So I guess this means we'll get to see what a Russian republic really looks like, oh... wait... :p

I always like the Novgorod to Russia route myself, just to be different. Looking forward to the posting to begin, even if my choice wasn't the winner! ;) :p

Who did you vote for, out of curiosity?

Not the best start.:p

Almost missed this starting. May have almost missed it ending too based on those two episodes. EUIV does not like you this time around. :confused:

Yeah, you're toast.:p

Episode #3:

Toast doesn't begin to cover it...

I'm not sure what I'm playing next. Brandenburg in CK2 got the next most votes so... maybe that?

Or a redo. It's a sobering reminder of why I like certain nations that have super potential, but, also need some breaks to fall your way to allow the opening: Provence, Novgorod, one of the Dutch or German minors, Teutonic Knights, all have a lot great potential but also need some breaks to really flourish.

Sadly, that didn't happen in this go round, but that doesn't mean it can't happen again. But if you go down the "next top vote getter" route, then I think my choice for an Adriatic Naval power in HoI4 isn't happening soon. :p

I'm definitely coming back to HOI IV at some stage. As for an Adriatic naval power, I'm curious: were you thinking Italy? Yugoslavia? Greece? I will take your suggestion under advisement.

On the whole, I find the AI much more aggressive in EU IV (and this is a wonderful thing). I'd be curious to hear how Novgorod has gone for you, if you've played it before.

I voted for Yugoslavia to spice things up.

Yeah, I love EU4 for various reasons, but among them are the aforementioned nations that, in the vanilla or with mods, really do have a lot of potential but the 50-50 with the breaks add some flavor. I mean, historically, sometimes you needed luck more than skill. I haven't played Novgorod in some time, but I remember earlier iterations in play thrus that went poorly, for many of reasons that happened to you, but I distinctly remember one game where I formed Russia. The breaks went my way. I played pretty passively, got lucky with an alliance with Lithuania (Poland didn't Commonwealth), and with the help of Lithuania when Moscovy DoW'd me, managed to win and the slow growth went from there. Kind of like when I play with Provence, totally need the breaks to fall your way, slow acquisition of some Burgundian lands, then basically become what Burgundy tried to become and can be a lot of fun.

Oh well, I suppose things will go better for your in your next LP regardless of who you try. But it's precisely that potentiality but needing the lucky breaks, and maybe some big RNG favors in the battle rolls, that can make playing certain nations in EU4 fun.

(Go Tribe!!)