• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TC Pilot

Field Marshal
65 Badges
Aug 23, 2003
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
Well, since Nomble's "A Grand Evolution" hasn't really gotten off the ground, I'm starting this thread in the hopes another mega-campaign can be organized and started in the near future. Hopefully you TWBWers won't mind too much the competition. ;)

My plan is to get this up and running by the end of August, starting with DV, then going EU2 (or vanilla EU3), then Ricky, and finally DD or ARM, sessions preferably on the weekend. Since I'm a total noob when it comes to CK MP, however, I'd appreciate some points as to the initial setups and such.

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be interested (I'm looking at you, TWBWers :p ), feel free to PM me or post in this thread.

Let's hope this works...

EDIT -

Currently, the planned game time is Fridays from 10:00 PM (22:00) to 2:00 AM, Central Standard Time. First session will be the 22nd.

First session save can be downloaded here: http://h1.ripway.com/TCPilo/MP.zip

Save files and correct mod files can be found here: http://forums.ederon.net/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1041
Rehost save here: http://h1.ripway.com/TCPilo/MP.zip
3rd Session Save here: http://h1.ripway.com/TCPilo/Session 3.zip

Mods

We are currently planning to use the following mods:

DVIP: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325867
DVIP Addon Mod (More Kingdoms Mod): http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330644
DV break free mod: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326287

Current players and nations are as such:

Scenario: 1066
TC Pilot - Duchy of Holland
Brian Boruma - Duchy of Apulia
Kuipy - Duchy of Normandy
Grashopa - Prince of Novogord
Blackmist - Duchy of Provence
Eird - ???
lordofzwergs - Duchy of Carinthia

I've also decided we will be converting to Europa Universalis II at the end of the Deus Vult session. Please plan accordingly.

RULES
- If you offer a peace with vassalisation to a human player, say so in chat, otherwise he will not be aware that the peace includes vassalisation.
- Do not tab while we are in the loading screen. It causes no end of problems. If you really need to mess around with some other program, do it the day before.
- Be on time. We will start at the designated time (Friday 22:00 CST). If you are late or do not inform us ahead of time that you can't show up, you'll have to live with the AI running things for that session.

-I will be the GM for this game, though current tests have shown it is not ideal (or possible) that I host. If someone is capable of hosting reliably and dependably, they may do so and will be a subordinate GM.
-There are no limit to the number of DoWs on Christians.
-In order to prevent Muslims and pagans from being just speedbumps (and thus give fringe players undue advantage), only 2 free DoWs are allowed per ruler lifetime, and 3 if the ruler has Crusader trait.
-Players may only take a maximum of 3 provinces in a peace deal (not to be confused with per DoW, so you can take 3 provinces from a vassal, then 3 provinces from his ruler).
--The DoW limit ony applies to aggressor wars. DoWing in defense of vassals or upholding alliances will not count toward the limit.

-You may accept offers of vassalisation from the AI only if one of the following is true:
--The AI is within a King or Duke title that you own (you are its natural overlord.)
--The AI is a Duke, and its natural overlord is a King title which borders on a King title you possess.
--The AI is a Count, and its natural overlord is a Duke title which borders on a Duke title you, or your vassal, possesses; or it is within the same Kingdom as your main title.

-Players are assumed to be smarter than the AI, so if a player offers to be your vassal you may always accept.
-You can offer vassalisation anywhere you like.

- no more then one assasination attempt every 5 years may take place against a ruler
- if a ruler is sucessfully assasinated, his sucessor shall be protected of further assasinations for a period of 5 years (to prevent gamey behaviour of continual assasinations to kill someone's country)
- if a ruler is assasinated, his country cannot be attacked for the next 5 years (assasinations have a severe impact upon vassals - 50 loyalty drop to be exact, which will not allow you to muster any troops for good deal of time)
- only 3 sucessors (heirs) might be assasinated per ruler lifetime (the ruler being the one of the realm that will be the target of the assasins)
- a ruler cannot be assasinated during wartime, if he is fighting fellow players or some extremely huge AI: ie, seljuks (again, with the morale hit vassals suffer, this is considered totaly lame since it will mean an extremely easy war for the ones fighting against the player)
- rulers which are still infants (kids) might not be assasinated

-Don't be gamey or use cheap exploits. If you can't wait and feel the need to expand your country through some cheap manipulation of the AI or game mechanics, you shouldn't have joined a game lasting 900 years.

-If at least two players show, one of whom has a computer capable of hosting, there will be a session that week. This is to ensure steady progress.
-If a human player force-vassalises you, you are obliged to remain his vassal at least for the lifetime of your current ruler.
-If you are at war with nation X, and that nation has no unoccupied provinces left, you may not force-peace (except for WP) unless you occupy at least one province of nation X. Further, in the peace, you may not ask for a province occupied by someone else, unless you have that player's permission. Example: Norway consists of Viken and Akershus. It is at war with Sweden, Denmark, and Germany. Sweden occupies Viken; Denmark occupies Akershus. Therefore, any peace offered to Norway will be auto-accepted. Germany may not use this situation to force any peace other than a WP. Denmark may not ask for Viken without Sweden's permission. This applies even if the occupying powers are AI.

-In-game province swapping is allowed. Unless agreed upon in a formalized (posted on a game-related thread) treaty, do so at your own risk.

These are not set in stone, and could be changed upon discussion. So discuss!

Session Plan
-Next session will be Friday, August 29, from 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM Central Standard Time
-We will be using a direct IP connection to host the game. The IP address to be used will be provided just before the start of the session.
-Given the first session's disasterous start, we will be restarting from the save file provided above.

Last edited:
I'm a complete newb MP-wise but if you are willing to bear with me I would be interested.

PS : are you going with DV or... ?

Last edited:
I suggest that you may want to PM some of the people who posted in Nomble's thread; the problem with this forum is that people very rarely check it, therefore it's very rarely posted in, therefore people don't bother to check it very often. You need a bit of critical mass to get a good game started.

You may also want to try advertising your game on the various outposts of Pdox activity - Languish, Ederon, Blood and Iron. (Can't link, forum rule against it.) I suspect that most TWBW players don't have time for a second game; certainly this is true of me. But some of our dropouts might be up for another go. Try FinnN, Lurken, hyme.

Best of luck getting this started. :)

if i would play it would have to be with weekends at 10 PM or later central time. i would also like to have jordarkelf mods. CK-DV: break free mod is must have so we don't become blobs. and no edits would be nice too. i would also like to play on very hard, normal.

Good. I cannot imagine going back to Crusader Kings now. The pain...

ETA : hyme, what do you mean by "no edit" ? In my experience a human player has no trouble gaming the breaking free mod to become a blob.

Last edited:
Kuipy said:
Good. I cannot imagine going back to Crusader Kings now. The pain...

ETA : hyme, what do you mean by "no edit" ? In my experience a human player has no trouble gaming the breaking free mod to become a blob.
edit vessels back or just basically doing any edits to the save game. the break free mod would make it harder and longer to do. in my last game i saw a small brittany grower very larger by force vessel Muslims in Spain, i hope it slow it done if you have to have your own culture there.

OK fair enough. I liked the trading of territory by edit they did in TWBW though.

By the way we have to decide if we start at kingdoms or duchies (or counties ?). I have a preference for the Duchy start but I am happy either way.

Kuipy said:
OK fair enough. I liked the trading of territory by edit they did in TWBW though.
well if we did that i would like that we add badboy to who ever gains the land to balance it out.

By the way we have to decide if we start at kingdoms or duchies (or counties ?). I have a preference for the Duchy start but I am happy either way.
really i think we could do both. i the reason we start as duchy in there will be war was because of the pledging problems, i believe it has been fixed it.

oh one more thing i would like so that you can only ally with people in game. you know base upon your rule dipo skill is how many allies you have. do you know what i am talking about? so you can't be allies with someone unless the game lets you.

hyme said:
in my last game i saw a small brittany grower very larger by force vessel Muslims in Spain, i hope it slow it done if you have to have your own culture there.

Hyme,

If I was doing it over I would have taken Barcelona at the start and have been closer-cultured. You really need a "only one DoW of muslim/pagan per ruler lifetime, two DoWs if you are a Crusader" rule or similar to slow it down (our rule in TWBW did not work).

My personal suggestions based on TWBW experience:

1) Keep the no-force vassalizing Dukes rule and the no taking King titles you can't usurp.
2) Keep the three year rule for peacing out vassals.
3) Keep the AAR rewards.
4) Keep the land-exchange-by-edit rule.
5) Add a better muslim/pagan protection rule (only one DoW of muslim/pagan per ruler lifetime, two DoWs if you are a Crusader).
6) Remove all gold edits.

ulmont said:
Hyme,
1) Keep the no-force vassalizing Dukes rule and the no taking King titles you can't usurp.

Surely that does not include breakaway vassals ?

Right. But that also means point 4 is highly necesary if we want to get relevant peaces.

3) Keep the AAR rewards.

Yes. AARs are cool

5) Add a better muslim/pagan protection rule (only one DoW of muslim/pagan per ruler lifetime, two DoWs if you are a Crusader).

That is tough if it does not include the vassals of the pagan/muslim you DOW.

No opinion on this one.

ulmont said:
Hyme,

If I was doing it over I would have taken Barcelona at the start and have been closer-cultured. You really need a "only one DoW of muslim/pagan per ruler lifetime, two DoWs if you are a Crusader" rule or similar to slow it down (our rule in TWBW did not work).

My personal suggestions based on TWBW experience:

3) Keep the AAR rewards.
4) Keep the land-exchange-by-edit rule.
i was only using you has a exp for force- vasslizing.

1. good idea
2. good idea
3. i am against arr rewards.
4. keep as long as the person who gets the land gets bad boy for it.
5. really need a better one (only one DoW of muslim/pagan per ruler lifetime, two DoWs if you are a Crusader) sounds good
6. very good idea.

what i like to do have no edit at all, nobody get stuck doing it than. and like to try to keep so when can only do things in game.

I agree with ulmont's ideas except on one point: FoCoGs I could keep or leave. Generally I think it's possible to do land exchanges by ingame means, you just need some claims (a better limiting factor than gold, anyway), and the other things we've seen FoCoGs used for I don't feel really add a lot to the game.

The one DOW/lifetime rule works much better than the limit we had in TWBW, whatever it was, although it's not ideal. AAR rewards, even small ones, clearly do lead to more AARs being written, which is good. Gold edits were intended as a gold sink, which did not work. And the three-year rule prevents blitzes, which is a good thing.

I agree with ulmont's ideas except on one point: FoCoGs I could keep or leave. Generally I think it's possible to do land exchanges by ingame means, you just need some claims (a better limiting factor than gold, anyway), and the other things we've seen FoCoGs used for I don't feel really add a lot to the game
i vote in game

The one DOW/lifetime rule works much better than the limit we had in TWBW, whatever it was, although it's not ideal. AAR rewards, even small ones, clearly do lead to more AARs being written, which is good. Gold edits were intended as a gold sink, which did not work. And the three-year rule prevents blitzes, which is a good thing.
sounds good

Kuipy said:
Surely that does not include breakaway vassals ?

It did not, no. Rebellious dukes were/are allowed to be force-vassalized in TWBW by their previous overlord.

Kuipy said:
That is tough if it does not include the vassals of the pagan/muslim you DOW.

Well,

1) You generally DoW a Count-level muslim/pagan rather than a King for that reason.
2) Vassals tend to DoW in support of their overlord anyway.

King of Men said:
The one DOW/lifetime rule works much better than the limit we had in TWBW, whatever it was, although it's not ideal.

TWBW rule: free-fire zone during Crusades, no DoWs of muslims/pagans allowed otherwise. We also allowed free-fire DoWs during the 1066-1071 period.

Hi, just looking in, and a brief free fire period in the beginning sounds crucial if someone's playing Apulia, with four the four tiny Berber states in Sicily.

I love the idea, but I don't own DD.

Neither do I. For now it is all about a CK game, even EU is at best months away and we will probably have dropped/replaced quite a few players by the time HOI-era comes.