• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Coat_of_arms_of_Haitisvg.png

Haitiflag.jpg

Chapter 7: A Democracy is Born

As previously mentioned, our new acquisitions and progress with science and culture has led us to be regarded as a secondary power widely among the world. The economy is stable, and research is at a record breaking pace for Haiti. Taking a closer look, it is nice to be upon the top page of the rankings for once;

v2_82.jpg

Prestige is the basis on our global position at this point. We are a very prestigious nation. Even more so than Two Sicilies, Sardina-Piedmont, Belgium, and even Sweden. Because of our reliance on prestige we need look at improving on some other areas in the near future. When the big boys industries start rising, prestige alone will likely not carry us to the top.

With our newly acquired regions our population demographics are quite different than they were just a decade ago.

v2_83.jpg

The North Andeans are actually the majority, whereas the other three minorities are accepted cultures. Whats this? We suddenly have Capitalist, Clerks, and Craftsmen, where did they all come from?

v2_84.jpg

Taking a closer look at Miranda, that is where almost all of them live. We just might be able to take advantage of Venezuela's efforts. Almost all of these capitalist are the wrong culture, so they don't really build anything, but with some slight provocation, we get a few projects started once and for all.

v2_85.jpg

It's very likely that these factories will fail or at least struggle considerably. Therefore, we just let the project develop on its own, and don't waste any money assisting the capitalist construct factories quite yet.

Another review of the budget, June 24, 1854 reveals we are lacking critical resources for our overseas provinces.

v2_86.jpg

There's really nothing to be done here. There must be a global shortage or something because the trade of steamer convoys is automatically being conducted by the Secretary of the Treasury. Other than that, things are looking about average. The budget rises and falls as the artisans profit or struggle. Its a vicious cycle, but in the long haul the government is barely staying in the black.

Then on July 2, 1854 we have been barraged with 2 pieces of fantastic news!

v2_87.jpg

First a botanical expedition to Broome, giving us even more prestige and glory for our nation. Hopefully we can find something useful there.

We also finally get our key to literacy!

v2_88.jpg

This is just a marvelous day, as trumpets sound and Haitians rejoice at a new era of progress and development!

As the waning months of 1854 roll by, nothing noteworthy happens except a few minor discoveries.

January of 1855 would not be so dull though. A new upper house is formed, and with some new social shifts and the inclusion of Miranda in the parliament we now have a fairly liberal upper house;

v2_89.jpg

This combined with the tension left over from the North Andean uprisings would prove to be enough to pass yet another political reform.

v2_90.jpg

Allowing us to give Only Landed Elites the right to vote. A step up from our previous dictatorship.

It seems the Presidential Dictatorship is ready to yield to Democracy.

v2_91.jpg

May 15, 1855, it happens, and we have a peaceful conversion to Democracy, creating a huge celebration in the streets of Port Au Prince, and the surrounding provinces as well! Even the North Andeans seem happy enough... and they end their squabbles with the Haitian government once and for all.

v2_92.jpg

The first election in Haitian history is taking place, and will be concluded November 16, 1855.

Last edited:
I'm subscribed, gameplay AARs are my favourite.
Go, go Haitian democracy!

Me too. I mostly read them to see other peoples perspective on how to play, and try to learn from them. Haha, yea the Democracy actually went faster than I could have hoped for really.

Haitiflag.jpg

The Election of 1855

So May 15, 1855 the Haitian people finally realize a democracy, as the new political campaigns begin we take a closer look at the parties;

v2_93.jpg

We have already been under the Parti Nationalist for quite some time, and it is rather bad. The State Capitalism prevents us from lowering taxes on the middle and rich strata... not good when you are trying to grow your bureaucrats, clergy, clerks, and capitalist. Residency and Moralism are bad as well, using them it will be more difficult to get POPs to assimilate.

The other two parties, Parti National and Parti Liberal are a bit more to our liking. First they both share Free Trade, and Full Citizenship, both policies are preferable. After that you have to think for your immediate needs.

We currently do not have any factories, and somewhere around 6 accepted culture capitalist, and another 1k wrong culture ones that don't do anything.... Another reason we need Full Citizenship so badly, but my point being that Laissez Faire would not be advisable while our industry is still in its embryonic state.

Another comparison, Pro-Military vs Anti-Military... Being the proud aggressive nation we are, we always strive to maintain a healthy military.

So the choice is obvious, at least for now. We want Parti Liberal to win the election.

Now taking a closer look at our social and political reforms;

v2_94.jpg

We still have a long way to go before we are an immigrant gold mine, though a few are slowly trickling in already. I forgot to mention that luckily we start with Trinket Health Care as well, which is a nice little bonus.

Then we start to have some policy debates, starting with religion.

v2_95.jpg

We decide that "Religion is not a political issue!... which is rather confusing, didn't we want Parti Liberal to win?

Don't fret, they will... You might notice that Parti Liberal and Parti Nationalist share the same stance on religion. While Parti Liberal is what we want, Parti Nationalist is absolutely despicable, and sometime in the future we want to turn to Parti National so we want to maintain support for them, but still ensure Parti Liberal gets elected. Parti, Parti, Parti! I know... it gets confusing.

You also might notice that Hispaniola makes up 100% of the Parliament.... my mistake. I honestly have no idea why the other states aren't included. Perhaps its because we still currently have a Residency Policy for our citizens.

Now taking a closer look at the voters and their issues;

v2_96.jpg

The people it seems are much more conservative than the party popularity graph would indicate. Probably either because Anti-Military is the biggest issue or the fact that only the wealthy can vote.

Next is the economic debates;

v2_97.jpg

Parti Liberal is the only party supporting interventionism so its a nice opportunity to gain party support and continue to lower Parti Nationalist support.

Up next we have the citizenship policy;

v2_98.jpg

And naturally we decide to promote Full Citizenship.

The politicians continue to debate the citizenship policy and the economic policy until finally the election draws near and it is time to vote!

v2_99.jpg

Just as we wanted, we get Parti Liberal as our ruling party, and also maintain Parti National support.

Last edited:

Haitiflag.jpg

Chapter 9: The Haitian Renaissance

As the election of 1855 came to an end, Parti Liberal began to install its politicians into the Presidential Cabinet. We received some nice immediate benefits...

First, the Free Trade policy enables our traders to operate without the influence of our government. Basically meaning that they can buy goods more easily than before. It also allows new changes in the tariff policy, but that is somewhat inconsequential, as we will never reach the minimum or maximum with either policy.

Next Interventionism is vastly superior to State Capitalism in many regards. There are no restrictions in regards to taxation so we can finally give our middle and upper strata a serious break from taxes, and without being forced to lower the poor taxes. We can also build railroads, invest in projects, and subsidize just as before, even factory maintenance is reduced... the only singular downside is that we cannot initiate factory construction, we must rely on our capitalist.

We still have Moralism, which is actually kinda nice since 100% of our citizens are catholic anyways.

In regards to citizenship policy, we have changed from Residency to Full Citizenship so now all cultures can vote and we get the maximum assimilation bonus. Now all of the states will be included in the Parliament in the future.

Finally, the military policy. We have moved from Jingoism to Pro-Military which is only a slight step down in terms of raising armies. With the addition of the Venezuelan regions, we should have more than enough soldiers to compensate for this loss.

Parti Liberal's first order of business was to continue diplomatic negotiations with Brazil and initiating discussions with Peru as well.

The budget needed some attention with the new policies and here is a look on April 29, 1856;

v2_101.jpg

Still maintaining a barely positive budget with 0% taxes on the middle and rich strata. Although education funding isn't as high as we would like, literacy is growing much faster than you would presume by the budget. We are hastily approaching 4.0% clergy nationwide.

Nothing much happens in the summer of 1856, but then by October we are approached with some great news;

v2_102.jpg

Impressionism, giving us the possibility to discover some very important cultural technologies.
Hopefully we can make those discoveries fast and improve our prestige and rank significantly.

By May of the following year we finally have some important news to share;

v2_103.jpg

Very nice! This will help our citizens with a new belief of self confidence. Our people are beginning to expand the boundries of their tools and traditions, helping to usher in a new age of discovery and prestige. If nothing else it will ensure we remain a secondary power for awhile to come.

As education funding begins to rise, it becomes increasingly hard to maintain a positive budget. Its decided that in order to continue to fund our educational program we need to increase our budget capabilities. This means either better tax efficiency or increased RGO production.
So research takes a new direction and in November we receive news of our efforts;

v2_104.jpg

It helps the budget, and its nice to have for in the future. We will need that increased RGO production to fuel our industries at some point.

The winter of 1857 was largely forgettable, and so was most of 1858 other than some Venezuelan Liberation Movement suppression in July.
By September 26, 1858 our budget is doing quite well and we get another status report;

v2_105.jpg

The big difference here is we are starting to ween the budget off of its tariff reliance, while actually increasing the budget surplus.
Its a big win for the country. Education spending is slowly increased as the treasury grows as well.

Then we discover another major technology;

v2_106.jpg

Increasing our diplomatic influence, RGO output, and decreasing the RGO size. All very important things to us currently.
The budget increases even more, and education funding is allowed to go higher than ever before.

v2_107.jpg

By February 1859 we are more than double our initial literacy rate. Growing faster then ever before, hopefully there is still time to catch up.

Diplomatic efforts continue, mostly in our neighboring South American countries.
USA and UK's war over Hawaii ended in white peace to much surprise sometime earlier, but we lost the record of exactly when. Early in 1859 a war breaks out between the USA and Mexico. Columbia also joins in on Mexico's side, while USA has USCA and Liberia in their sphere and allied. Most of the nations involved requested military access from Haiti but only USA was granted because they are the only one with an army we fear.

Then on May 15, we have a devastating setback;

v2_108.jpg

San Fernando gets an outbreak of Cholera. We quarantine the province, but nevertheless tens of thousands die.

In July of 1859 we have discovered yet another major technology;

v2_109.jpg

Our tiny contingent of capitalist are still pretty poor and generating funds for the first factories for Haiti, so there isn't much effect. Really just something we felt we should have a basic level of at this point just in case we do have extra funds to build.

As conditions continue to get better, a few more immigrants decide to come to Haiti.

v2_110.jpg

Not much but at least it proves our efforts have not been wasted. Strangely, Argentina and Bolivia, both presidential dictatorships with about 0 reforms are getting all the immigrants. Even more than the USA... maybe their RGO's are vacant and very profitable or something.

August 11, 1859, it comes to a boiling point and some Gran Colombian Nationalist have finally risen.

v2_111.jpg

Strangely though, only 1 regiment rallied. When our main army approached, they disbanded and ended their cause.
I guess they were expecting some puny Venezuelan army, not the mighty Haitian army.

Then only a week later on August 17 we receive more bad news;

v2_112.jpg

Sweden has located the famed white flower before us. Blast!

By November we have made another fine discovery; Impressionist Art, giving us even more prestige and rank. The 2nd Election in Haitian history is also beginning, and the election results will be in on May 16, 1860!

We basically run the same political campaign as before, trying to maintain Parti National, whilst making sure Parti Liberal wins the vote.

The new year passes with no major controversies, and the next major event doesn't occur until April;

v2_113.jpg

A local politician has been caught in a love affair. I guess we caught him with his pants down.

A few weeks later the election is over and we have our result;

v2_114.jpg

Parti Liberal gained a little too much support, but I guess the people were excited about being pro-military.

By August 11, 1860 we have discovered another major technology;

v2_115.jpg

Just perpetuating our ever increasing budget and educational gains. Smaller discoveries continue to trickle in.

By October some of our policies are starting to pay off and we have a concordat with the Vatican.

v2_116.jpg

Prestige, relations, and decreased militancy in a pop type we are trying to promote heavily. Its pure harmony.

1860 ends without much interesting going on domestically. The upper house is still mostly conservative, education and the economy have been growing steadily.

In January 1861, we receive word from Sweden that a young man by the name of Karl Marx has published the "Communist Manifesto" creating a stir that lead to one of the worlds first communist parties.

Then in July of 1861, our Foreign Minister informs us that we have not yet signed the Geneva Convention.

v2_117.jpg

We can still sign it of course, and do. The year comes to an end with little to report. The early months of 1862 were largely undramatic as well, with only continued education and diplomacy. On May 16, we receive even more great news, this time from Peru;

v2_118.jpg

They will now allow us military access within their borders. I wonder where this might be leading...

And on June 16, 1862 we discover another major technology;

v2_119.jpg

Allowing us to develop technologies even faster in the future! The last several years have marked great advances in science and education. Its been a time of great growth and development in terms of our culture and prestige. Perhaps with this niche Haiti can continue to make new developments and increase its rank in the world in the future.

Last edited:
I'll be watching. I want to see how much of the Carribean you can take, or at least how strong you can make Haiti. (And am totally not using this AAR to scope out AHD before I buy it...)

You are progressing quickly, it seems that an empire of the caribbean is in the making. I am enjoying this AAR greatly. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! Yes this AAR will probably go pretty fast. In order for me to keep my focus in the game, and perform optimally all the information needs to be fresh in my head. That, and I happen to have some free time this week.

I'll be watching. I want to see how much of the Carribean you can take, or at least how strong you can make Haiti. (And am totally not using this AAR to scope out AHD before I buy it...)

Oh there will be War with Spain, France, and the UK eventually for those juicy tobacco producing regions lol... even if I have to accept white peace or even make concessions. It probably wont be for awhile though, so I might actually have a chance. Unfortunately Spain is actually kinda doing great, conquering some of Arabia and Africa already.

Probably have another update tonight, maybe 2.

Oh there will be War with Spain, France, and the UK eventually for those juicy tobacco producing regions lol... even if I have to accept white peace or even make concessions. It probably wont be for awhile though, so I might actually have a chance. Unfortunately Spain is actually kinda doing great, conquering some of Arabia and Africa already.

Probably have another update tonight, maybe 2.

Don't forget the Dutch and Danish Carribean islands; those might be more easily accessible.

Don't forget the Dutch and Danish Carribean islands; those might be more easily accessible.

Ah yes, I won't forget. Actually they are both kinda weak right now, might be a possibility in the near future.

this looks very interseting ill be watching

Thank you!

Sorry for the delay.

Haitiflag.jpg

Chapter 10: Forging a Foundation

As the summer of 1862 dragged on, we maintained progress is most areas. The budget and education funding remained satisfactory, and we continued to promote clergy and bureaucrats, and have began to sporadically attract some capitalist and even some soldiers as well.

By November, our diligence has paid off once again with a new major technology;

v2_120.jpg

This is just the bottom tier tech in a line of techs that are very useful. Eventually with some smaller discoveries we can improve our resistance to some diseases, and develop some critical chemistry industries.

We also take a broader look at things at this time, and can see that South America is going about its usual business.

v2_121.jpg

Brazil has beaten up a little on Paraguay and Bolivia as per usual. Argentina got in on it as well. Nothing strange here. Domestically things are looking bright as well. A new ship is beginning construction, the treasury, literacy, and research points are all rising steadily.

v2_122.jpg

Taking a closer look at the budget, the economy is getting healthier by the day. We are making massive profits relatively, and are fueling education more than ever before. Most of the citizens are meeting their daily needs if not better.

The end of the year passes without much controversy, and the beginning of 1863 is seemingly quiet, but a plot is brewing. The 9,000 strong Armee d'Haiti has began a march towards the northeastern coast of Brazil. The world is still unaware of their intentions, but it is certain something is underway.

Then in May when we hear news of yet another botanical expedition, this time to Echo Bay;

v2_123.jpg

And of course we will send a Haitian expedition. For Glory!

By the summer of 1863 some Gran Colombian Nationalist have grown bold enough to revolt, with the Armee d'Haiti no longer stationed in Venezuela. Nord Salnave, the commanding officer is forced to turn Armee d'Haiti around and deal with the rebels.

Before he could reach them, we receive some grand news, another technology is discovered;

v2_124.jpg

This is a big one. The increased supply limit is nice, but the ensuing smaller discoveries are even nicer. Immunity to malaria once and for all, and some improved population growth.

Finally General Nord Salnave has reached the rebels in Guanare and repelled them;

v2_125.jpg

A fine display for mostly irregulars with no supplies.

In December of 1863 we receive some slightly disturbing news;

v2_126.jpg

This man is clearly dangerous. Execute him.

As preparations for war are being made, only a select few in the Presidential Cabinet are even aware of the plot. Some focus is made on encouraging soldiers, it seems 3 regiments may not be enough, particularly with the Gran Colombians attempting to revolt occasionally now.

So we start a soldier recruitment program, and disband some of our older, obsolete units in favor of newer more efficient ones.

v2_127.jpg

With the military prepared as ever, Haiti finally announces plans to invade Sokoto.

v2_128.jpg

A war justification is not yet in place, but the Haitian government is scrambling to get prepared as quickly as possible.

v2_129.jpg

You might ask why Sokoto? Well they are virtually the only conquerable nation within range of some very valuable regions. The coal, lumber, and tropical wood here could prove invaluable for our nonexistent industry. Its possible we can make a big land grab from this, so its potentially much better than attacking some of our South American neighbors. We also get news of a new election taking place in Haiti, and continue our previous agenda, trying to keep Parti Liberal in power.

As diplomacy continues we receive some of our best news to date;

v2_130.jpg

This is wonderful! We no longer have to worry about survival. Brazil is sphered by France and allied, with an alliance to Chile as well. We shouldn't have to worry about anybody trying anything silly now back at home.

Speaking of silly, the USA has been constantly at war. From the British attack for Hawaii, wars with Mexico, and now the American Civil War. They have the south outmatched, but we'll see how it turns out.

v2_131.jpg

You may also notice that literacy and research are progressing nicely, the economy is bouncing wildly, but still making profits.

A few days later we are briefed with the new election results.

v2_132.jpg

Nothing too surprising here. Parti Liberal wins yet another election. Parti National support is waning, but Parti Radical has growing support. Both are "yellow" parties with similar ideals.

Then as 1864 was coming to an end we discover another major technology;

v2_133.jpg

We are going for the prerequisite technologies so we can colonize Africa after attacking Sokoto... hopefully. Other than that, this technology has little value to us.

The early months of 1865 were largely quiet, while the army of Haiti gathered its strength.

Then on March 7, more North Andean martyrs;

v2_134.jpg

It once again ends with an execution.

The rest of 1865 was filled with troop movements, getting prepared for an attack on Sokoto. With our military access from Brazil we have been able to get 9,000 men across the Atlantic with a single clipper convoy. After the mission was complete we scuttled the ship.

As the men began to make out for their encampments, we begin our justification for war;

v2_135.jpg

We demand Sokoto make a colonial concession.

v2_136.jpg

By January 1866 all the troops are in place and a war is looming. Sokoto has an army 30,000 strong, including 9,000 cavalry. Haiti only yields a mighty 9,000 regular infantry, but has a huge edge in technology and military strategy. Its a classic David vs Goliath, albeit not one you would have guessed.

Last edited:
Oh Yea this reminds me of my Page Show us Your Africa there is a huge Hatin Africa in there maby you should model it after that

It was me that posted that! :laugh:

It wasn't necessarily a test play-through, though it ended up being so. I picked Haiti for this AAR partly because they are horrible to start with, I was familiar with some of what I would need to do to succeed, and their coat of arms is badass. I actually did way better in that game in terms of colonizing Africa than I think I'll be able to do this time.

That game Spain and Portugal did poorly, Denmark held on to its African province. France didn't even attempt to expand really, so it ended up being Italy, Brazil, Spain, and UK on the western part, then UK and Spain in the southern part, and I got everything in the middle. UK was bad at using its troops to get a 2% bonus so I used them and my own provinces as a barrier.

Now that I find funny I need to look at names more do you have a world picture you could post on that thread at the end i kinda want to see how it turns out and Ill give you a cookie if you area able to get haiten Australia that I dout has never been done before

Now that I find funny I need to look at names more do you have a world picture you could post on that thread at the end i kinda want to see how it turns out and Ill give you a cookie if you area able to get haiten Australia that I dout has never been done before

I don't have a picture of the end of that one, but I can provide it for this one when I get there. I overwrote that save for this game. I might give Haitian Australia a go, if and when I complete all the other goals... that would be hilarious!

I find it odd that the Conservative party is called "Parti Liberal" :p Nice AAR, keep up the good work.

Thank you! Yea, they actually are quite liberal though, with full citizenship and free trade. Actually I like Haiti's political parties once you can get a democracy.

Haitiflag.jpg

Chapter 11: The First Haitian-Sokot War

As war draws closer for Haiti, another major war has come to an end. The Confederate States of America have achieved a white peace against the USA, and have been formally recognized as a legitimate nation around the globe. Haiti rejoices at the demise of a local great power, it should serve to help us in the long run.

In April our plans for war have been discovered, yielding a decent amount of infamy.

v2_140.jpg

By May the USA is at war once again, attempting to take its national cores back from Mexico.

v2_141.jpg

They just can't seem to stay at peace.

On June 1, 1866 we have convinced the world regarding the Sokot menace, and how they must be dealt with.

v2_142.jpg

With war less than a month away, we take a closer review of our 3 commanding officers in Africa;

First, Oreste Saget, a brilliant general will be leading 2nd Army in the main siege. Unfortunately we didn't have any officers with any reconnaissance.

v2_137.jpg

Second, Tiresias Soulouque will be leading the 1st Army. His main duty will be to harass and confuse the Sokot army.

v2_138.jpg

Finally, Nord Salnave makes his return with Armee d'Haiti. He will also be harassing the main Sokot army.

v2_139.jpg

With all the necessary preparations made, war is finally declared.

v2_143.jpg

Sokoto has no allies, and we do not call on Brazil for war.

The first move is made, Nord Salnave advances his position onto Markadi from Calabar.

v2_144.jpg

Once the massive Sokot army pinpoints its destination the other officers hastily move into their positions.

v2_145.jpg

As Nord Salnave is approached by the massive army he makes a retreat towards Aruchukwu. Despite Sokoto's diligence they are too afraid to overcome their fear of the untamed jungle, and will not attempt to chase Nord Salnave. Instead they turn towards Tiresias Soulouque and the 1st Army. Once the Sokot army is underway, Nord Salnave again advances on Markadi.

v2_146.jpg

Some of Armee d'Haiti's scouts are able to correspond with the 1st Army and Tiresias Soulouque is able to pull the same maneuver in the north as well. The 2nd Army's siege is going on uninterrupted and progressing well.

v2_147.jpg

With the war not looking great for Sokoto, they decide to build some more troops. It shortly interrupts our harassment parties, but eventually we are able to outmaneuver them once again and get the upper hand.

In September we are blessed with some great news;

v2_148.jpg

A new technology. Just another step towards colonization.

The end of the year and most of the next are filled with only increased military activity. Armee d' Haiti and the 1st Army are doing a fine job to harass the main Sokot army while the 2nd Army continues to siege Sokot land.

By June of 1867 the war has been raging on for nearly a year. The Sokot army is wearing down, and their will to fight is slowly being broken. They are beginning to beg for white peace.

v2_150.jpg

Of course we will have no part of this. Its the standard offer once they know they're screwed.

Then even more great news, another major discovery has been made;

v2_149.jpg

Another step towards colonization, but with some immediate benefits. Our armies are now more potent then ever, and we can now construct engineers.

With the Sokot army reaching exhaustion from hundreds of miles of marching, Sokoto finally gives into Haiti's demands without a single fire needing to be shot;

v2_151.jpg

Its a glorious victory for Haiti! As news reaches Port Au Prince the city erupts and a massive parade is held! Citizens rejoice as we have acquired a slice of the motherland for ourselves.

v2_152.jpg

With the new political boundaries drawn, Haiti is now within reach of the famous Warri region, renowned for its tropical wood, coal, and readily available soldiers. The Sokot Benin region is also renowned for its soldiers, and very quickly a recruitment program is implemented.

v2_153.jpg

With the new recruitments, some of the native Haitian brigades begin to head back to the Venezuelan regions. Its a proud day for Haiti as we are now in firm position to colonize some of Africa and improve our standing in the world.

Last edited:
Masterfully done! I was wondering how you were expecting to take on Sokoto, and you did not disappoint.
Will you have secondary power status in time to take full advantage of colonization?

Thanks! That is actually what the next 2 chapters are all about. It will be revealed soon enough. ;)

Hey... how do you post images in their full size? Everytime I post something here, it is windowed...

Actually none of those are full size. To get my bigger images though, all I did was screen capture (f11 in-game), then edit with paint. Save As jpeg and uploaded to photobucket. It appears that they were shrank by paradox's forums to ensure it doesn't force horizontal scrolling for some users with smaller resolutions though. Thats why they aren't full size actually.

Haitiflag.jpg

Chapter 12: The Dawn of African Colonization

As mentioned, the new African colony was a tremendous boon to the young Haitian nation. New soldiers were pouring in and the nations economy, literacy, and research rate continued to soar. By December 19, 1867 we are approached with news of labor spies;

v2_154.jpg

We will not violate their personal integrities. Its not in our nature.

As the new year comes we are blessed with some more minor discoveries. We are now encouraging capitalist in Hispaniola quite steadily, hoping that soon their numbers will be enough to start building factories and railroads. On January 14, 1868 we make another budget review;

v2_155.jpg

It appears nothing new is going on, but really the economy is finally stabilizing again. The last few years it has shaken wildly at times during the wars, but now we appear to have strong growth and have room to raise the tariff in emergency. We are also made aware that Brazil has canceled their alliance with us. I guess they didn't approve of our warmongering. Oh well, at this point we have as many brigades as them anyways.

Most of the year goes by without much controversy, but on October 14 we make another major discovery;

v2_156.jpg

Another step towards colonization, we now only need one more technology, but it will not be unlocked for more than a year. Breech-loaded rifles also make our army even more dangerous, and we can also build elite infantry units known as Guard.

With only one technology yet to research before we can colonize, we take a closer look at our position in the world;

v2_157.jpg

You can see between the rise of Japan, Switzerland's industry, and blasted Sweden getting that famed white flower of Broome before us, we are no longer a secondary power. We only have one invention brewing that could possibly yield any more prestige. Maxing out our troops or even mobilizing might not be enough, let alone sustainable.

Haiti is faced with a very difficult decision now. Its a game of chance either way. Either rush ahead for Machine Guns anyways and just hope we can somehow move into that 16th spot, or take a side step and ensure we will be a secondary power, and see whats left of Africa when we get there.

A decision is made. We will not sit idly by and just hope we can move back into secondary power status. Instead of going directly for Machine Guns, we will first look to discover Analytic Philosophy for the added prestige and research gain when the time is right.

On November 17th we receive news of another election taking place in Haiti;

v2_158.jpg

The final results will be completed in about six months.

The end of 1868 passes with not much to report, but by March of 1869 we have made another major discovery;

v2_159.jpg

A dated technology that is so cheap at this point its hard to pass up any longer. It will help us develop new industries and help any existing ones as well.

About 2 months later the election results are in;

v2_160.jpg

Parti Socialist has growing support, but Parti Liberal is still the overwhelming majority.

The summer of 1869 is filled with many minor discoveries, greatly helping the nations continued growth. We bounce back and forth between civilized nation and secondary power as our new regiments finish training. In the summer the CSA offers us an alliance, but reluctantly we decline. War with the USA anytime soon would probably not be good. The end of 1869 passes with no events worthy of notice.

By January of 1870 the treasury is growing steadily, and we have decided that it is time to start investing in factories and infrastructure.

v2_161.jpg

We don't have enough to finish the project yet, but soon will. Once the factory projects begin, hopefully the capitalist will start railroad projects and we can get some of those at a much reduced cost as opposed to just plopping them down for 2500+ gold.

On February 12, 1870 the Foreign Ministry reports that the Ottoman Empire has opened the inner gate of Tutankhamen's tomb, giving them vast swaths of research and prestige. Blast! we have been beaten to it.

The summer of 1870 yields some new discoveries in the cultural arts; Impressionist Music, yielding a modest 3.7 prestige.

Then on September 11, we are faced with the proposition of Temperance Leagues;

v2_162.jpg

With the ravages of alcohol being what they are, we decide that it is an excellent initiative.

On November 28, all goods and necessary funds have been gathered and a new Winery is under construction in Hispaniola! 1870 comes to an end and by February the next year we have discovered another major technology;

v2_164.jpg

This is really big. We boost our research tremendously, and have many new possible discoveries, most of which we have a fantastic chance of discovering quickly...

April 2
v2_165.jpg

July 5
v2_166.jpg

November 2
v2_167.jpg

Needless to say the added prestige boosted Haiti comfortably within the ranks of secondary power.

On November 21, 1871 we get a proposal to redraw the constituencies;

v2_168.jpg

We decide to be more sportsmanlike, yielding prestige and encouraging liberalism.

As 1871 ends the nation is swelling in every way. Literacy is up to 34.2%, research is up to 27.09/day, we are almost down to 0 infamy and haven't had many domestic problems of late, the army is as big as ever, and the budget continues to grow.

On January 1, 1872 we make another budget review;

v2_169.jpg

Similar to our previous review, only big differences are the education funding and the standing treasury. Military spending has also been increased to 41%, and yet the budget continues to remain steady.

Later in January, we have a bit of a diplomatic blunder with Peru, a military alliance only to have it canceled months later. They do however still allow us to move troops through their borders. Brazil has also conformed to our request, once again allowing us military access as well.

Nothing exciting happens in the early spring, but by late June we receive some interesting news from the USCA;

v2_171.jpg

El Salvadorian Nationalist have enforced their demands, leading to the creation of El Salvador. Perhaps some good can come of this.

As we diligently continue our research towards Machine Guns we are damned with some disturbing news;

v2_172.jpg

It seems the colonization of Africa is starting without us. This is very concerning, but hopefully if the Spaniards don't move troops there, there might still be hope. The Belgians and Italians have also started colonizing the northwestern part of Africa, so it will not be long before the race to fill the void heats up.

Last edited: