• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

austrianemporer

Field Marshal
76 Badges
Oct 19, 2014
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Magicka 2
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
pXTYaUw.png

L'Empire Révolutionnaire- The History of France from 1836 to the Present
Objectives:

Restore the Bonapartes to the throne of France.

Become Number One power in the world as befitting the Napoleonic Empire.

Defeat the reactionaries in Great Britain

Restoration of the Imperial Borders of 1812
Primary Objectives:The Lowlands, Catalonia, Savoy, Tuscany, and Emilia
Secondary Objectives: Parts of Northern Germany and Lazio

Create a buffer zone of either vassals or liberated land around the Empire

Create a global empire that can easily defeat the reactionaries, Great Britain.

Do not fall to a reactionary revolution, always keep the rightful Bonapartes.

Table of Contents:

Foreword
Introduction
Chapter One- The Seeds of the New Revolution
Chapter Two- The Struggle For Power

Chapter Three- La Rive Gauche(The Left Bank)
Chapter Four- Liberté! Egalité! Fraternité!
Chapter Five- Return of the Bonapartes
Chapter Six- The Last Years of the French Second Republic
Chapter Seven- Empire
Chapter Eight- The Great German War
Chapter Nine- Order, Stability, and Prosperity

I will be writing this AAR as a historical narrative. I will attempt to complete the objectives listed above and perhaps even more. There will be a limited amount of first person in this AAR. This is my first AAR and I will try not to cheat unless realistic circumstances demand it. I will be using the Pop Demand Mod, otherwise known as the Pops of Darkness. There will be mild interactivity as approved by Mr. Capiatlist.

Mild Interactivity approved by Mr.Capiatlist

Last edited:
Exciting! Also with plans like that I'm suprised you didn't use CoE as it gives you an extra 15 years and loads of flavor *hint hint / promoting*

Exciting! Also with plans like that I'm suprised you didn't use CoE as it gives you an extra 15 years and loads of flavor *hint hint / promoting*
I like the base PDM game pretty well, I don't like too much radical changes to Victoria. Also, my computer isn't too good so it gets really slow with PDM and even slower with CoE. I was going to use /gsg/ but that mod has too many references to Nazis and genocide to use for an AAR without modding it and I can't mod.

Reactions:
Introduction
Napoleon I was crowned Emperor of the French on 18 May, 1804 by the French Senate.

WSHBn3J.jpg

He transformed France into a modern country; the French Empire was the third continuation of Rome. However, reactionaries in nearby countries were deeply hostile to the ideals of the righteous revolution. They invaded. Napoleon fought back, dissolving the Holy Roman Empire. He reformed the Empire with the Napoleonic Code.

ej2vxgM.jpg

He forced the Prussians and Russians to negotiate after the battles of Jena-Auerstedt, Eylau, and Friedland.The Prussians, Russians, Austrians, and British were defeated war after war. Every coalition they tried to form was crushed. Napoleon brought innovation and change to the army and government. He made the first effective government in the world and so the world hated him.

KgOhqqT.jpg

5t0ygNn.jpg

Xlj9hWo.jpg

As Napoleon’s power grew, other European nations grew jealous of his success. France allied Austria and Russia. Following his invasion of Iberia, Austria attacked Bavaria, seeking to gain power as France was distracted. As France was allied to Bavaria, the French, of course, had to support their allies. However, France suffered its first setback with the death of the brilliant Marshal Lannes. France defeated Austria at the Battle of Wagram, forcing the Austrians to concede defeat in the war. Now, the corrupt, feudal Austrian and Prussian monarchies had been much reduced, leading to new, revolutionary regimes that represented their people.

bKogtaY.png

The feudal Tsar of Russia betrayed Napoleon and declared war, leading the sixth coalition that struck against Napoleon. France was forced to invade Russia where the cowardly Russians avoided battle and harried the French Army. Finally, the Russians decided to fight an engagement, leading to the battle of Borodino.

wtS4ETK.png

The Russians lost and retreated. Unfortunately, the winter soon arrived. Napoleon was forced to abandon Moscow and started to retreat. The Russians soon decided to strike when Napoleon was weak and they destroyed Napoleon’s army. The bitter winter killed many and the Russians killed many too. France’s allies backstabbed Napoleon and Napoleon lost. Despite the fact that Napoleon never totally dismantled any large nation, the coalition decided to dismantle the French Empire and send Napoleon into exile. Napoleon escaped and the French people came back to celebrate. The seventh coalition decided to strike when Napoleon had offered peace, defeating Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo.

91HCe2W.jpg

Napoleon would never rise again. In fact, the British assassinated him with arsenic! France became a democratic kingdom, a weak democratic kingdom. France needed a strong leader but monarch could not provide one. The Bourbons changed France into a reactionary state. They had a parliament that was unwieldy and horrible rulers. They made the government corrupt and inefficient again like they did before the Revolution. France was slowly becoming weaker. France needed a Bonaparte.

((This means I am talking as the austrianemperor. I am sorry about the large picture sizes and varying quality of the pictures. And the small amounts of text. All of this will be fixed in the next update.))

Last edited:
Reactions:
Ah, thank you! Should I do Bonapartes instead of Bonaparte?

Depends. Bonapartes is plural so if you mean the family and not only Napoleon then you ought to use "Vive les Bonapartes", otherwise you just say "Vive Bonaparte/Napoléon"

Depends. Bonapartes is plural so if you mean the family and not only Napoleon then you ought to use "Vive les Bonapartes", otherwise you just say "Vive Bonaparte/Napoléon"
Ah okay. Cause Napoleon I never returns alive to France :(. The Bonapartes will rule France until the present (I am not sure when to end the AAR, I might go beyond the objectives I listed).

I just finished Alan Schom's biography of Napoleon several months ago, so I am definitely looking forward to this. Good job so far.

((Warning! Picture Heavy!))
Chapter I- The Seeds of a New Revolution
pXTYaUw.png

Following the July Revolution, the decadent King became a symbolic figurehead, possessed with little real power. The power was now in the Parliament, hotly contested between the Ultra-Royalists, otherwise known as the Légitimiste led by Victor de Broglie and the Movement Party, otherwise known as the Républicain, led by Adolphe Thiers. However, there was also an independent faction, also called the Orléanist, led by Étienne Maurice Gérard. This faction had witnessed steady growth of Bonapartist sympathy and as such, the corrupt King of France, Louis Philippe I, feared them. Unfortunately for the King, the Orléanist were the only acceptable middle ground between the Légitimiste and the Républicain. He was forced to appoint Gérard as Prime Minister.
EtzHa38.jpg

Demographic Situation by the time Gérard took power
Gérard saw the transformation of France. He immediately began asserting French authority in Italy, just like it ought to be, with an alliance with Sardinia- Piedmont and a gracious acceptance of an alliance offer by the Pope.
GTI4ySB.jpg

00GQzho.jpg

He began influencing Sardinia- Piedmont in order to gain a temporary buffer in the south. He enacted several comprehensive decisions, including recognizing the basic rights of every single human that was first proposed in Napoleon’s France. He also forced the King to tour the country in order to appease the masses and increase France’s standing in the world.
iDwTcv0.jpg

He began researching logical thought, otherwise known as Positivism, which would help France educate its people.
Iphv1ml.jpg

Old Dude Thinking Logically
KGYa6a5.jpg

Contemporary French Newspaper "Le Temps"
He called for the formation of the Old Guards, which Gérard hoped would eventually help Napoleon win the throne.
gLdpqkY.jpg

Old Guard Army
Because of these reforms, conservative and liberal strongholds started springing up in support of Gérard and his Orléanist. This showed that all of France supported the policies of Gérard, which were modeled after Napoleonic French policies.
hhc5Fh5.jpg

Conservatives Support Napoleon
cHTUvb3.jpg

Liberals Also Support Napoleon
The Prussians repeatedly requested an alliance with France but of course, Gérard refused since Prussia was a reactionary, feudal monarchy that had backstabbed Napoleon. Not only that, but the jingoistic tendencies meant France might be legally bound to help Prussia in event in an offensive war.
kCB2MQC.jpg

Say no to the Reactionaries!
He also managed to balance the budget, educating the people, reducing corruption, and increasing governmental efficiency came before arming the army. Gérard wanted the army to be the army, not the secret police or a force for intimidation.
hnd17C8.jpg

Budget Changes Daily so This may not be Representative of the Total National Yearly Budget
The Arc de Triomphe was finally finished, celebrating the glory, success, and victory of Napoleon France while Paris became a hub of commerce. That began a golden age of Paris that was first started by Napoleon. The Habsburgs saw which way the winds were turning and diplomatic relations began increasing.
iHlh1Rn.jpg

Its an arch! Its a triumphant arch! First created by Napoleon!
0MpmnA3.jpg

Austria really likes ladies!
Alexis de Tocqueville published “Democracy in America” which called for a free, democratic France under a good monarch, which was sadly lacking at this time. Alexis was a firm supporter of the Bonapartes as evidenced by his second book, The Old Regime and the French Revolution.
jPDEpZ6.jpg

What is DEMO- CRACY again?
Meanwhile, Gérard began modernizing French factories, expanding them to make more goods and employ more people. An example of this was the expansion of the famed furniture factory of Paris on August 27th of 1836.
0fOFnSc.jpg

Our people sit when they are tired.
Suddenly, crisis struck the court. Emir Abdel Kabir had attacked French settlements in Northern Algeria without provocation after uniting the Maghreb tribes despite the French liberating them from Ottoman rule.
kyvvMG0.jpg

This ignited a fierce debate, where the king, fearful of the growth of the Napoleonic Orléanist, declared that he was against invading the “sovereign” territory of Algeria. Supported by the Légitimiste, he fought bitterly in Parliament against the Orléanist and Républicain. Gérard, as prime minister, managed to outmaneuver the King and war was declared on October 18th of 1836.
2IKWqop.jpg

As a former marshal in the First French Empire’s army, he had vast knowledge of military matters and hastily drew up a battle plan. It called for the French heavy cavalry in the west of Algeria to hold the main Algeria army while a large infantry army backed by dragoons and artillery advanced on the region of Constantine to defeat a secondary Algeria army. He also called in the Italian allies of Sardinia- Piedmont and the Pope. Thanks to the corruption in the King’s court, no skilled general was called up in the war so no army had a notable commander.
DnH4xf6.jpg

Plans, who needs them? Their just going to fail anyways.
Unfortunately, the plan immediately went awry. Algerian troops tried breaching the defense line set by the heavy cavalry and promptly encircled them. The heavy cavalry were outnumbered too heavily to charge and were forced to surrender. Meanwhile, the dragoons were too enthusiastic and thus charged into an ambush set by the tricky Algerians where they were massacred. Gérard decided the needs of the army were becoming more important so he temporarily cut the budgets to education and administration to give the army the supplies they needed.
hPx4DNv.jpg

Well this result was unexpected
Courageous French troops managed to inflict the first Algerian defeat despite a carefully planned ambush by the vile Algerians in the Second Battle of Constantine. They suffered heavy casualties but routed the Algerian secondary army.
C02BovM.jpg

A pyrrhic victory but a victory nonetheless.
Meanwhile, the main Algerian army foolishly decided to siege French settlements on the north of Algeria. They suffered steady attrition, attempting to break into Mustaghanim. When they finally broke into the French settlement, they massacred the settlers and looted the area before finally razing the place to the ground. They spared no one, not even fellow Algerians. This merely showed the barbarity the French were fighting against, spurring them to greater heights.
1LVPsiv.jpg

Meanwhile, the popularity of the war surged to new heights and when the new parliament was called into session on January 1, 1837, the anti- war Légitimiste suffered heavy losses, becoming a tiny minority in Parliament. Back in Algeria, in the Battle of the Scouts, French light- troops totally annihilated their counterparts in the Algerian army. The main force of the Algerians were routed after a desultory battle.
Vgnwnp6.jpg

Meanwhile Italian troops from Sardinia- Piedmont and the Papal States had started an invasion of the capital of Algeria, Tlemcen. The barbarians from the main army of the Algerians fell upon the Crusaders and crushed them, exhortations by the pope to defeat the infidels notwithstanding.
8nEkp8V.jpg

Poor Italians
The secondary Algerian army was finally totally defeated by the French in the Battle of Sekol, in Laghwat after retreating far into the desert to lose the French army. The French troops were brave and industrious so they managed to pursue the enemy deep into the desert, therefore lowering the barbarians’ morale and crushing them. There was still one main Algerian army though. After the second invasion of Tlemcen by the Sardinians, they fell upon them like savage wolves and ripped the army apart. They beheaded everyone they captured, leading to the deaths of 9,000 humans.
6dipf0O.jpg

Angered, the Sardinians decided for closer ties with France to defeat the Algerians. The French were all too happy to oblige them.
VcnXfbg.jpg

The Ottomans looked on in awe and shock at the French invasion of their former vassal state. The invasion had shattered their reputation as their former vassal was crushed by another European power when they themselves had failed to defeat them. The Ottomans also failed to protect their fellow Muslims, despite the fact that the Caliphate of Islam was Ottoman. This led to them not being considered as a Great Power by the international community.
ui1ydsD.jpg

The Treaty of London hasn't fired yet
Meanwhile, the main Algerian army was soundly defeated in French territory as Italian reinforcements sieged the capital and liberated parts of French Algeria. The blockade and constant warfare was taking its toll in Algeria, war exhaustion was creeping up to record heights and the pacifist section began campaigning to end the war on French terms to prevent a harsher peace. Emir Abdel Kabir overruled them, saying that Allah would grant them victory in the end (He is a fool, not only did he not follow Catholicism, but he did not recognize France’s might).
CIXZnNJ.jpg

He soon regretted that action when the last remnants of the Algerian Main Army surrendered to French forces in the Battle of Medea. Algeria now had no army with which to defend itself.
416ihLn.jpg

Gérard, angered by the insolence of the Emir, declared that he desired the southern desert of Algeria along with Constantine to prevent the Algerians from ever causing harm to France ever again.
7fpi4No.jpg

Papal crusader’s soon breached the walls of Tlemcen and captured it for the Pope.
BnVb89g.jpg

With the fall of their capital, the barbaric Algerians decided that enough was enough and agreed to the peace deal with France. Constantine and North Central Sahara were ceded in perpetuity to France.
g0EXzW0.jpg

Diplomatic Negotiations
kO4rx3M.jpg

Aftermath of the Algerian War
Algeria now was too weak to launch any military campaign against France, Gérard hoped.

At home, positivism had finished being philosophized by French scholars. French industrialists were now encouraged to develop clean coal for use in many areas especially the industry.
Ha9viex.jpg

Crown Prince Radama II of Madagascar meanwhile wisely ratified a treaty with France, greatly extending French influence and French corporate influence into the rich hinterlands of Madagascar.
cl3SnSq.jpg

The seeds of the new revolution to install the Bonapartes had been planted, the Pro- Bourbons had shown their unpopularity in France. Gérard, a Napoleonist, had become an extremely popular Prime Minister. He also openly sympathized with the return of the Bonapartes to the throne of France. The king however, was deeply hostile to Gérard. This would lead to a showdown later. ((Would you like shorter chapters? Also, how do you combine pictures? And do you want captions for the pictures?))

Last edited:
Reactions:
I just finished Alan Schom's biography of Napoleon several months ago, so I am definitely looking forward to this. Good job so far.

Oh no! Schom's book is a hatchet job on Napoleon, he has a serious bias against him. There are much, much better books on the Emperor. The good news is if you still liked Napoleon even after Schom's unfair account you'll really like him when you read something accurate. I took this at Hotel des Invalides in Paris, a portrait of Napoleon III to give you inspiration for your restoration of the Bonapartes.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Oh no! Schom's book is a hatchet job on Napoleon, he has a serious bias against him. There are much, much better books on the Emperor. The good news is if you still liked Napoleon even after Schom's unfair account you'll really like him when you read something accurate. I took this at Hotel des Invalides in Paris, a portrait of Napoleon III to give you inspiration for your restoration of the Bonapartes.

View attachment 137196
Thanks!

Okay, I had an event. I chose to extradite Louis Napoleon to France, was that the right move? I need to pick the options that make it more likely for the Second Empire to form.

So far as I can tell from the code, that event is pure flavor and really doesn't matter. As you're playing PDM, the Second Empire will form so long as you a) flip to a democracy with the "French Revolution of 184x" event (which will fire as long as you have an HMs Government, pretty high militancy and the Springtime of Nations country flag and/or Jacobins in your capital), then b) choose to have Napoleon III win the election and then c) wait for the Louis Napoleon's Coup d'Etat event to fire next election.
Also, subbed to this. I had a game some time ago where I seriously considered just eating as much of Europe as I could, and will be interested to see how it goes for you.