• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So far as I can tell from the code, that event is pure flavor and really doesn't matter. As you're playing PDM, the Second Empire will form so long as you a) flip to a democracy with the "French Revolution of 184x" event (which will fire as long as you have an HMs Government, pretty high militancy and the Springtime of Nations country flag and/or Jacobins in your capital), then b) choose to have Napoleon III win the election and then c) wait for the Louis Napoleon's Coup d'Etat event to fire next election.
Also, subbed to this. I had a game some time ago where I seriously considered just eating as much of Europe as I could, and will be interested to see how it goes for you.
Ah, thank you for the information! Glad to have you here cpm4001!

Subscribed! A minor question and a minor note: is the title in Corsican? In Italian? For the note, could you please be a bit more generous with spacing be having an extra space between each paragraph and image, as well as between the little notes beneath each image and the actual text? For me personally, it makes things more lisisible. ;)

Subscribed! A minor question and a minor note: is the title in Corsican? In Italian? For the note, could you please be a bit more generous with spacing be having an extra space between each paragraph and image, as well as between the little notes beneath each image and the actual text? For me personally, it makes things more lisisible. ;)
The title is in French. It says "The Revolutionary Empire". I will try to separate the images+captions from the main text even more. My computer updated when I was playing so I lost 4 months of progress where there was a lot of progress on the international stage so that set me back by a little.

Last edited:
French would be L'empire révolutionnaire, no? I'm pretty certain what you have is Italian. :)

Reactions:
Poll

Okay, poll time.
What name is better for Chapter Three (I know, Chapter two isn't out yet, it will be out soonish)?

La Rive Gauche/ The Left Bank( I will choose between these two if it wins, probably the French with English in parentheses)- 2 Votes
The First Franco- Prussian War
The Restoration of France
Napoleon's Rhine- 1 Vote

These are the four choices. If you feel like you have something better, tell me since you probably know what the topic for Chapter Three is :p. There will be three days to vote.

Last edited:
I quite like "Napoleon's Rhine", if you're going for something a bit more literary than purely descriptive.

La Rive Gauche.

Just ask next time for the language, both me and Attalus are French and speak it. ;)
Your vote is accepted.

I will be sure to ask you guys for French translations now as human error makes me unable to use google translate effectively :p.

pXTYaUw.png

Chapter Two- The Struggle for Power

The war was over. France had thoroughly defeated the Algerians. Algeria once again acknowledged French influence over the whole of Algeria, but Algeria retained local autonomy in the Algerian Maghreb Zone, which made up about 75% of the region of Oran. Algeria ceded the other part of Oran, North Central Sahara, Constantine, and Algiers in perpetuity to France. Meanwhile, the main minority in Algeria, the Berbers, outnumbered the country’s main culture, the Maghreb’s by a ratio of 3:2. France decided to form an Algerian Colonial Army to incorporate and maintain order in Algeria. It was decided that the Algerian Army, made up of French citizens, would combine with the new regiments to form the Algerian Colonial Army. It would patrol and defend France’s new Algerian possessions.

CJSAuIG.jpg

New Recruits in the Algerian Colonial Army

Meanwhile, a new Chamber of Peers (the Upper House) was called into session. It saw increasing liberal support among the populace and an increase in calls for independence by separatist groups who did not see the civilization France brought to the places where its flag flew.

J3EN83o.jpg

The new Chamber of Peers

Meanwhile, on the southern tip of Africa, a Boer Republic was set up. It was called Natalia but the British reactionaries refused to grant it total autonomy and had forced it to become a satellite. Carved out of native African lands, Natalia was surrounded in a sea of enemies. France immediately recognized Natalia as a sovereign independent state for the Boers there were like Germanic Frenchmen since they descended from the Dutch.

CuJR4NY.jpg

Natalia is the green part of South Africa.

In South America, chaos erupted in the Peru- Bolivian Confederation. Rebellious Peruvians from the North had declared war on the Confederation for independence. They were supported by a large contingent of regular troops from Chile who were greedy for the Confederation’s Antofagasta coastline. It was a hard- fought war, with the Chileans abandoning their allies for Antofagasta while the Argentinians jumped in to take Jujuy. The Confederation would suffer two major blows, losing both Antofagasta and Jujuy to the Chileans and Argentinians respectively. However, they restored order in the Confederation and the rebels were defeated after a brutal war that saw the destruction of the Peruvian national identity.

450OzTD.jpg

The picture after the war is near the bottom. I am very surprised the Confederation survived.

Back home, tensions had exploded. Three men had been arrested after meeting together on a street corner. As public meetings were outlawed by the dictatorial king, those three men were arrested. Étienne Maurice Gérard fiercely opposed arresting them and instead advocated releasing the men with an official apology. King Louis- Phillipe refused to back down; he insisted that the men be tried on the charges of conspiracy, violating the ban on public meetings, violating the curfew, and more. Adolphe Thiers, who also admired Bonaparte, realized that the tensions could cause a breakdown in government. He persuaded Gérard to step down but the king was forced to release the men with an official apology.

igyaDBT.jpg

The issue that divided a country

The king was also forced to appoint Thiers as prime minister.

X8Bmbav.jpg

A picture of Thiers during his later years

Thiers immediately granted St. Pierre and Miquelon equal rights as mainland France and called them “an integral part of our glorious country.”

v3JX2YB.jpg

Capitalists opened four new factories here which all went bankrupt because there were only 107 craftsmen available.

Louis- Napoleon, head of the Bonapartes, began undermining the monarchy from Switzerland. King Louis- Phillipe was predictably outraged so he demanded that Switzerland extradite him to France, overruling Thiers in the process. After surrounding Parliament with the Royal Guard, he forced Parliament to support the extradition of Napoleon but Thiers managed to secure comfortable quarters for Napoleon.

9kjBeQb.jpg

Louis- Napoleon is back!

In Central America, the unity following the independence of Central America had faded, leading to the dissolution of the Federated States of Central America into its constituent states. Their chance of a union and real power in the world had faded. Thiers was determined the same thing would never happen to France.

DaCzZSl.jpg

Viva la Bonapartes! Do not ever break the French- Breton- Occitanian union!

Austria, following an intense series of diplomatic negotiations, agreed to an alliance with France. It was a critical day for France, as Prussia, France’s second archenemy, was now bordered on two sides by France and her allies.

KRbnTfJ.jpg

The Habsburgs alliance

In the Lowlands, major developments had happened under sponsorship by France’s first archenemy and greatest nemesis, Great Britain. Great Britain had betrayed their ally Belgium for the Netherlands, ceding Belgian territory to the Netherlands and Luxembourg. The Netherlands were forced to give up their claims in Belgium in exchange for this. The treaty benefited Great Britain only as Belgium lost land and prestige while the Netherlands lost their claims and route to future expansion.

0K3skvn.jpg

The new Lowlands

In Western Africa, jihadists in Massina had crushed the Segu Empire, annexing it to the Jihadist Caliphate of Massina. Massina was now Africa’s premier power, outclassing Sokoto, the other main power. A few weeks later, they would defeat Funta Jallon and incorporate half of their country into Massina.

aEZ9ftf.jpg

Massina is really strong this playthrough.

Adolphe Thiers continued his program of incorporating French colonial territory into France, announcing on March 21 that the French Lesser Antilles would be given full rights, equal to any province in France proper. This was somewhat symbolic as the French Lesser Antilles were full of minorities that had no say in the parliament of France; in fact most of the minorities were slaves under French masters.

mW5ZcsT.jpg

Slaves can't vote! Silly Thiers.

The French Way was the best way, as evidenced by scandal from a criminal industrialist which united instead of dividing the French people. France was growing more confident in her power and unity.

qEsXMRx.jpg

The French Way is the best way!

A French friend, the Russian Empire, declared war on the Qing Empire for Outer Manchuria. They claimed that they would civilize Outer Manchuria and bring progress there. The French government knew that was only a pretext to seize a year- round Pacific port but the King Louis- Phillipe, enamored as he was of Russia, declined to publish a statement condemning the unprovoked aggression of the Russian Empire.

83areQr.jpg

Needless to say, the Qing Empire lost

Adolphe Thiers had in the meantime, industrialized France at a rapid pace. Capitalists were spending more and investing more, leading to a shortage of workers, skilled and unskilled. This led to factories being shut down because no one was working in them. But industrialization still progressed with railroads facilitating travel.

hjjc0eg.jpg

I really need a non- Laissez faire party in power. Capitalists built 5 factories on Corsica, four of them closed.

The world saw the finest display of culture France could offer at a lavish exhibition in Paris. This greatly enhanced French prestige and increased France’s standing in the world. Thiers made sure not to neglect technology though; he also called together a conference of the leading minds in France. The First National Conference saw the advancement of France’s scientific interests in technology.

dywGn8d.jpg

Marvel at French progress!

The national elections started on January 1. It was an orderly election, with debates proceeding as usual and the pretenses of democracy held up. In fact, no one expected any party to gain any votes except for the ruling party, the Orléanist. The whole election system was rigged in favor of the Orléanist. However, the Orléanist led by the former Prime Minister, Étienne Maurice Gérard, had promised to respect the Républicain led by Adolphe Thiers and include them in a general coalition. That coalition was led by Thiers but was forced to recognize Orléanist control over issues.

bani4pc.jpg

An orderly election because all opposition were beaten with big sticks

After intensive research on clean coal, the First National Conference saw a major breakthrough in clean coal, vastly increasing metal production. The new technology started a new economic boom. In America, the rise of slavery tensions led to all debate about slavery being banned in the government. They hoped this would alleviate the worst tensions.

Jkx9xEk.jpg

They repealed that law real quick

Adolphe Thiers rapidly pushed for allocation of funding into ideological thought. Thiers wanted to radicalize the French citizens and overthrow King Louis- Phillipe. He thought that he could export French ideologies to France’s neighbors and ensure stability in the region.

5kIzxRh.jpg

I think you know what this is leading to

Napoleon Bonaparte returned to France on February 9, 1840 after the British agreed to return the body of Napoleon to France. The French people remembered him as the greatest leader France ever had and turned out in the hundreds of thousands to remember his reign, a reign of progress, innovation, and greatness.

EwLalg8.jpg

Napoleon, welcome back to France! Everyone but the monarch loves you!

King Louis- Phillipe was unable to control the Bonapartist sentiment and decided to encourage the Temperance League of France. He thought the rules would popularize his reign in the middle- class. It backfired though and the rich and poor classes became increasingly militant as they viewed this as an additional intrusion in their personal lives.

5Crk63N.jpg

Not only that, but the king got drunk on a daily basis.

This rapidly led to many French citizens turning to liberalism to give them more freedom. An age of liberalism had arrived. Charismatic firebrand politicians started stirring up liberal agitation throughout the country, encouraging people to support Adolphe Thiers and the Bonapartes.” The rights and the will of the people are the most important!” they preach. “Down with the Bourbons!” they shout as Royalist police close in to arrest them for treason and sedition. A new age has begun. The struggle for power has intensified and will intensify.

4X0SoaG.jpg

We march ever closer to revolution.

Queen Victoria, part of the new generation of progressive monarchs, becomes queen of the reactionary Great Britain. As she is crowned, French delegates sent by Thiers cheer for her. Thiers realizes that a turnaround in relations is now possible with a progressive monarch; however the Prussians decide to reaffirm their ties with Great Britain. It may be a new era of competition or a new era of cooperation, depending on which way Great Britain leans.

X4YThWX.jpg

Great Britain, an ally? Funny joke! Note: Queen Victoria married in an event before she got coronated

The Nantes Archives

Official Transcript of the French response to the Carlist Crisis:

Adolphe Thiers, the prime minister of France, is talking to an aide. Suddenly, a messenger rushes in. Thiers says “Who is intruding on this private conversation? State your reason!”

The messenger, panting, manages to breathe out “The Spanish government has fallen to the reactionaries! They have executed the monarch and have assumed control of the government. As we speak, a new reactionary puppet parliament is being called into session.”

E4CKRJD.jpg

Battle of Madrid

Thiers responds “How? What happened to the French Carlist Army that we sent into Catalonia and Basque county to suppress the reactionaries?”

“They were fighting a major revolt in Barcelona. After they crushed the revolt, Madrid had fallen. There was nothing they could do. They are retreating before being fired upon by Carlist loyalists in the military.”

Thiers muses “They could be a powerful enemy in the south of our country. They could also be a useful ally. Improve relations with them but do not get too friendly.”

The messenger says “Yes sir!”

VBF8s4U.jpg

Rise of the Carlists. Note: I have seen Spain and Carlist Spain exist at the same time. Carlist Spain was in Iberia while Spain controlled all the colonies.

This abbreviated version of the French response is overshadowed by the event that happened a few weeks later. Louis- Napoleon escaped from prison in France and attempted a coup attempt in Boulogne. The informant general sent to spy on him turned on the government and they captured the city of Boulogne. The local garrison officer escaped and unfortunately, brought back a brigade that promptly arrested Napoleon. King Louis- Phillipe sent in a massive presence of troops and evicted many Bonapartist supporters in parliament. The whole affair damaged the French image in the world.

kGm0sr8.jpg

So close but not quite Louis- Napoleon!

Meanwhile, the election had ended with approximately 100% of everyone who voted voting for the Orléanist. They retained their control of parliament and decided to support Adolphe Thiers for another term. The Two Sicilies, seeing the stability of the election, asked to sign a trade agreement and alliance with France. The king, suspicious of Italy, demurred but Thiers immediately agreed. The king protested but did nothing.

ywtV2Bh.jpg

Our job in Italy is done

Adolphe Thiers revealed the July Column, a memorial commemorating the July Revolution and the people who died in it, despite a storm of controversy unleashed by the Légitimiste. King Louis- Phillipe was unhappy with the monument since it had ended the autocratic, tyrannical practices by the king. He could do nothing without risking another revolution so he stayed quiet while quietly deciding to undermine and overthrow Thiers.

9pgNdvl.jpg

Thiers will be out of power but not yet

After a rise in reactionary sentiment, Parliament had grown more reactionary but with many of its people shifting to liberalism, liberal factions in Parliament grew ever stronger at the expense of the reactionaries. Education for infants were also theorized and put into place.

1h5U54U.jpg

I have no idea how the reactionaries gained so many people in Parliament. Also note the Confederation of Peru- Bolivia

In March, a series of events happened that would change the world. The Netherlands became a great power in the eyes of the international community after Spain’s standing in the world collapsed following the Carlist Revolution. The Dutch promptly took advantage of that to declare a war of civilization on Sulawesi following unprovoked attacks on Dutch settlements by the Sulawesians. Carlist Spain, recognizing its international decline, petitioned the king for an alliance. King Louis- Phillipe was all too happy to oblige an alliance request by a fellow reactionary monarch so he forced the issue past Parliament to the Foreign Department which accepted the alliance. At the same time, a large naval shipyard and factory was built to supply France with the most modern ship designs. La Rochelle became a major naval base for the French navy. In America, abolitionists had succeeded in unblocking legislation for slavery but this merely increased tensions throughout the United States of America. In Natal, Boer nationalistic sentiment had led to a British “intervention” and the occupation of Natalia by British troops.

6QZT24M.jpg

Interesting eh?

To cap off all these international developments came the rebellion of Mayan natives. Yucatan declared independence from Mexico. Mexico announced that they were restoring order in the rebellious provinces and declared war on Yucatan. Yucatan called for total war and started mobilizing. International observers noted how brave the Yucatan people were and how hopeless the situation was for Yucatan.

06xGy0Y.jpg

They haven't died! Yet.

However back in Europe, a rise in ideological tension and Napoleonic borders would lead to the greatest European war since the Napoleonic wars.

-
Sorry for the poorer quality of this chapter. I was distracted this week. Is the spacing fine now? I forgot to include an alliance with Denmark that was concluded this chapter. Yes, when I declare war on Prussia, its going to be most of Italy, France, Austria, Spain, and Denmark vs them.

Vive les Bonaparte!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like how you portray the supposedly liberal bourgeois king Louis-Phillipe as a backwards reactionary like Charles X or the Carlists. Guess it makes sense from a Napoleonical perspective, but Napoleon wasn't really a liberal angel. :p It is "Vive les Bonapartes" and not "Viva les Bonapartes" ;)

I like how you portray the supposedly liberal bourgeois king Louis-Phillipe as a backwards reactionary like Charles X or the Carlists. Guess it makes sense from a Napoleonical perspective, but Napoleon wasn't really a liberal angel. :p It is "Vive les Bonapartes" and not "Viva les Bonapartes" ;)

I am a mere historian paid for by the government. Why would I be biased? ((I am basically being a really biased, pro- Napoleonic France, historian. Napoleon III's greatest enemy are going to be liberals and I will call them radicals.))

I fixed the French thing.

Reactions:
Depends. Bonapartes is plural so if you mean the family and not only Napoleon then you ought to use "Vive les Bonapartes", otherwise you just say "Vive Bonaparte/Napoléon"

It's more complicated.
Unlike in English, family names are invariable in French, so we write "Vive les Bonaparte". But there are exceptions, when this is a dynasty name, we can write "Les Bourbons" or "Les Tudors", because it is not considered as the family name but as the dynasty name... So you can add an "S" in plural. :confused: (<-- my face when I learn this).

Back to the subject (way more important than French grammatical rules), I reaaly like your AAR. I recently started a game with France (but I don't have any mod) and I'm really interested what you'll do with this. :)
In my game, I didn't want no Bonaparte.