• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've been playing for some time with changes in the council definition that allows soulmates to take on spousal duties as long as there's no actual spouse. From what I can tell most council events work just fine, but the localization often references the (then invalid) spouse scope, which produces funny text output.

Reactions:
I've been playing for some time with changes in the council definition that allows soulmates to take on spousal duties as long as there's no actual spouse. From what I can tell most council events work just fine, but the localization often references the (then invalid) spouse scope, which produces funny text output.
Yeah the council isn't that hard to change. As for localization that's another whole can of worms! lol

Honestly adding gay marriage will just take time.

I just wish the development team would tell us if they are working on it so I know whether my time modding it in will be worth it.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Eh, i'd rather they work on polishing the game now rather than enabling stuff that is more applicable for mods than for a game about crusader kings. After they finish fixing the bugs and typos I'm on board but right now I just want them to finish addressing the issues for the base game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Eh, i'd rather they work on polishing the game now rather than enabling stuff that is more applicable for mods than for a game about crusader kings. After they finish fixing the bugs and typos I'm on board but right now I just want them to finish addressing the issues for the base game.
This is for mods to do, tis why it is in the Modding sub forum after all. :p Paradox could do just what they did with Immortality. Add the feature for modding but not for vanilla.

Reactions:
This is for mods to do, tis why it is in the Modding sub forum after all. :p Paradox could do just what they did with Immortality. Add the feature for modding but not for vanilla.

I came on the forum to look for a fix for a broken event around universities. I want this kind of thing fixed before they dig into the code to remove restrictions on different entities getting married. Fix the game and then fix issues with modding. That's my point, address the issues in the game so its working and then look at the wishlist.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I came on the forum to look for a fix for a broken event around universities. I want this kind of thing fixed before they dig into the code to remove restrictions on different entities getting married. Fix the game and then fix issues with modding. That's my point, address the issues in the game so its working and then look at the wishlist.

So you come to complain on an unrelated post about it? And as we've already told you people before theres no reason in the world why they can't work on both fixing bugs, and adding a simple line of code. Which theoretically should only take a couple days of work to put in.

It's also for modding only. It won't affect the base game at all. I don't know how many times we have to explain this.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
The thread has gotten quite long, so I won't blame you for missing it, but earlier in the thread someone noted that there are multiple teams working on different aspects of the game at the same time. Even if fixing bugs is the current development priority, not all of the developers will (or even can!) work on only fixing bugs. This can be seen in the 1.1 patch notes, which while primarily being a patch for bug and balance fixes, also included 73 entries labeled under "User Modding", including (by my count) 16 entirely new triggers and effects for modders.

The developers seem determined to provide extensive modding support for this game. That trend will hopefully continue going forward. This thread primarily exists to highlight features that the modding community is eager to see support for. That way these developers, who will already be working on modding features, might choose to implement the features highlighted here sooner rather than later.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Well I took a break from working on gay marriage to work on my other mod (much more fun to work on lol) and while I was working I also realized how many problems there will be with inheritance! I know the crusader king 3 team mentions inheritance in the marriage section as the reason for not having gay marriage. And with a mod it will be even worse. I don't even understand inheritance in the game as is let alone the complex script and whatever may be hard coded. It really isn't a one man job lol.

Also I'll be honest to me who's trying to work on the problem people saying they don't want the mod are just as annoying as people who just scream they want it and do nothing. There is a suggestion channel for suggestions this is the mod section. Please keep the talk about modding gay marriage preferably useful info.

I've been sick and may have covid waiting on the test now. But in the next couple weeks I plan on creating a separate channel for gaymarriage and set up to allow people to contribute.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I've been sick and may have covid waiting on the test now. But in the next couple weeks I plan on creating a separate channel for gaymarriage and set up to allow people to contribute.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Is there a way I can work on this as well? I don't even really want realism for this mod, especially if it invites complications (inheritance) I'd rather the male 'queen' in this sense just get pregnant and deliver a magical baby.

EDIT: I'm a professional game programmer but I would just be doing this in my spare time. Might as well take a crack at it though.

Last edited:
Paradox pls! I am making a mod with a custom female-dominated religion for myself, and it would REALLY make sense for adherents to marry other women and love them for better or worse, in sickness and health etc, while keeping a bunch of consorts with good genetics just for heir-making. I've stared in the 00marriage_triggers.txt for hours in desperation, thinking how to circumvent this unnecessary hard ban, but figured I'm not smarter than all the modders combined.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I just hope that I can set the legality of lesbian and gay separately in doctrines instead of merging them into homosexuality. I am trying to create a reversed gender-dominated world. But this hard coding makes me unable to do anything

• 3Like
Reactions:
I just hope that I can set the legality of lesbian and gay separately in doctrines instead of merging them into homosexuality. I am trying to create a reversed gender-dominated world. But this hard coding makes me unable to do anything
I'm pretty sure there is a way, but every religion I've seen has every doctrine's default value specified in its file. Does anyone know if adding two new doctrines means you have to edit them in every default religion, or just writing them in 00_doctrines.txt should be enough?

It might be easier to make this dependent on already existing doctrines. For example, I make my trigger to check if:
1. "Gender view" doctrine = female-dominated,
2. "Homosexuality" doctrine = accepted,
3. Actor character = female,
and have it give the actor character female recipient characters to choose from. This will not enable gay marriages, because male characters don't pass the requirements. It might be even possible to ban heterosexual marriages in your game this way, but that would definitely need some adoption mechanic, haha.

Has there still been no acknowledgement from Paradox on this issue?

Clearly this is something that matters a lot to many people. For me it was one of the main reasons I got the game in the first place.

Queer people have been treated so badly throughout history it's an awesome escape to be able to play a historical simulator as a version of the past that's more accepting and better for people like us. Especially for those of us who face discrimination in our own lives.

The fact that it's not possible to marry same-sex characters in a faith that's fully accepting of homosexuality is baffling. Being treated as lesser and not even getting to marry who you want in a roleplaying game that allows comparatively extreme stuff like ritual cannibalism and institutionalized incest just feels... terrible.

It's not even that we're asking for this feature to be formally added, though it would be nice. Just un-hardcoding it so that modders can do the work.

The more patches come out without us even getting so much as an acknowledgement on this thread the more it feels like we're being totally ignored on purpose. I don't really know that much about what goes into the community-facing side of game developer company, but surely giving even just a one-sentence answer like 'We're looking into this, maybe it'll be ready within a few patches.' or 'It's not a priority, but maybe someday' wouldn't be a totally unreasonable ask? Maybe someone with industry experience could weigh in?

I just don't really get it. Paradox is usually a company with such an awesome track record of community engagement. They're probably one of the only developers that consistantly writes dev diaries (which is, like, my favourite thing. Whenever there's a paradox game in development I practically can't wait for Thursday to come around so I can read the new dev diary!) and then actually answers questions in the comments. And they're so good at being inclusive and wholesome generally. That's why I find this total radio silence so baffling. :(

I don't know what else to say, really. Am I being like really presumptuous or entitled here, or is this actually just weird?

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
maxresdefault.jpg

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Good news everyone! This was in response to a query about unlocking gay marriage in the latest dev diary.
This is good news! Also @Splorghley you've got quite the reaction timing getting that question in so early!

It was a fairly non-committal response though. It still leaves uncertainty about whether a solution will actually come. I would recommend optimism, but not getting overly excited just yet.

• 2Like
Reactions:
What the dev said just sounded like a generic corporate response. "Rest assured we are aware of this and the team is investigating!" doesn't mean anything.
I did get my hopes up reading the comments above sadly..

• 1Like
Reactions: