• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I saw talk about adding adoption mechanics, and I doubt they'll add anything like that before a DLC drop. Probably in some Eastern-focused one, because it most visibly existed in that half of the game's map and was extremely important to Byzantine shenanigans.

Reactions:
A few thoughts (and holy wall of text incoming, Batman!):

I have spent the entire day trying (and failing) to fix a small glitch in my personal mod for enabling same sex concubinage that makes it 'literally unplayable'. Stubbornly trying to fix it in a way that won't cause me a maintenance nightmare when the next patch comes out or I want to use some mod that touches the character window.

You see, just like CK2, the character windows displays 'Man' or 'Woman' next to both a concubine's partner, and the marriage type icon, depending on whether they are male or female.

Depending on whether *they the concubine* are male or female, not their partner. The assumption is made somewhere that their partner is always opposite sex, so it gets it completely wrong if they are actually the same sex. That dude he is a consort of? They are his 'Woman' apparently.

Just a localisation change right? Okay a localisation change with some custom logic, which -- after much hair tearing and forum searching -- is doable with the custom_localization stuff. Only not really. This a particular chunk of text doesn't come directly come the localisation system, instead it apparently comes from a C++ function on the CharacterWindow that refers to the localisation internally. It seems it refers to the localisation at a low enough level that the character is not pushable into the custom_localisation in all circumstances where the source localisation is used, resulting empty text being displayed, a logged null pointer exception and 1500+ lines more log of repeated localisation error message.

So, on the one hand I have a certain amount of sympathy with the view that although it is simple to take out a hard-coded check, the known unknowns of cleaning up random subtle glitches that might not even be noticed at first glance, is the sort of thing that gives experienced devs the willies.

On the other hand: Come on Paradox, you put in a whole sexuality system, built a modular religion system that takes that into account with a doctrine slot, *and* a game rule slider that lets everyone change the sexuality distribution. What planet were you living on that you expected people not to get antsy that same sex marriage isn't in the base game, for settings of the game rules where it would be seriously implausible for it not to be a thing? That when we discover it isn't in there we won't immediately try to mod it in, and find you locked it out completely even for mods, getting everyone even more antsy?

I mean, the reason I bothered to make a personal mod for concubinage is that it just seemed implausible to me, even on default, that if you did have a religion that accepted homosexuality and that religion also had concubinage, that that religion wouldn't prefer your gay lovers to go in the official 'possibly not actually for breeding, maybe just for fun' slots. Suspension of disbelief depends on historicity to some extent, yes, but is also depends on being consistent with the world you have actually built not just the one you're trying to simulate.

On the gripping hand, those of us who wrote mods that did super sneaky things in CK2 are maybe one of the reasons Paradox have tightened up their coding practices and have put 'sanity' checks in more places.

I made one such sneaky mod using a buggy unintended side-effect of temporary titles, called 'Founder of the Republic'. It made it possible switch your character to being a Merchant Republic back in the days when that was actually 'impossible', because there was no script command to change government types at all, and the player becoming a Republican was hard coded to be instant game over.

First thing a youtuber tried to do with it was make a Republic with a female character, and that suddenly revealed a whole shuck of utter UI brokeness, caused by him doing this not-supported thing using my super-not-supported how-does-that-even-work method. I'm guessing that even a vaguely popular mod that relies on some sort of glitch is a support and patching problem. If a *really* popular mod (unlike mine way back when) ends up doing unsupported things, of course that mod is going to hit the streamers and the youtubers and the twitterers, and now you're in the realm of bug-for-bug compatibility and tiptoeing around fixing things in case you break the stuff that shouldn't work but does and is heavily being used. And yes I also remember that long series of patches playing whack-a-whole with male pregnancy. So CK3, the new project, resolves to make sure that impossible things really are impossible this time.

It's just such a bad choice of a thing to be impossible given everything else in the game.

TL;DR Paradox, this day job programmer, and long burnt out CK2 modder, can see reasons why you wanted to lock same sex marriage out, but, I'm sorry, not having it as at least a mod option doesn't make any sense in terms of the game you actually wrote. The horse is well out of the barn, and you know you're going to have to unlock the scripting commands sooner or later, right?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
So does the addition of `set_mother` only make lesbian marriage possible, and not gay marriage?
I'm still learning how to mod this game, so I'm not sure I understand the full ramifications of this change .///.

edit: pregnancies, I mean, not marraige.

For what I understand...

This particular change is related to the existing 'set_father', that is used in the game to change the father-son/daughter relationship of a child that was born outside of the marriage. When the bastard child event would trigger, the kids father would become the biological father.

Basically, there was no 'set_mother' effect because the mother's motherhood can't... Not be true, there's no way a child's birth mother wasn't the actual mother that give them birth.

'set_father' in modding can be used for adoption, so before 1.1.1 only male characters could "adopt". Now that there's 'set_mother" female characters can adopt too!

Unfortunately, I don't think pregnancies outside heterosexual relationships are possible yet. I spent a big chunk of this morning trying to make my king impregnate himself and it 100% didn't work lol

• 4Haha
Reactions:
If set_mother is now a command- does that mean we now have mothers and realmothers? (cause those existed for the father right?) Part of what I want to be able to do is fake who the mother is after the child is born as a scheme.

If set_mother is now a command- does that mean we now have mothers and realmothers? (cause those existed for the father right?) Part of what I want to be able to do is fake who the mother is after the child is born as a scheme.

'real_mother' is mentioned a few times in game/events/marriage_effect_events.txt. It seems like it was there before the patch.

But with the addition of 'set_mother', I guess you can now fully recreate one of those movies in which babies are switched at birth at the nursery. What a coincidence that the child of the marshall and the spymaster is a beautiful, genius, intelligent, inbred, giant lowborn kid, with the exact same age of your own tratiless child who somehow looks like both of them!

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, on the one hand I have a certain amount of sympathy with the view that although it is simple to take out a hard-coded check, the known unknowns of cleaning up random subtle glitches that might not even be noticed at first glance, is the sort of thing that gives experienced devs the willies.

Ha! Joke's on them, my favorite kind of gay relationship is already in the game! Now come to the royal palace, my knight and new son, King daddy will show you around and shower you in gifts of gold, precious necklaces, and taxidermy foxes!!!

...Humor aside, I understand this, but like, if removing the hard-coded check introduced like a gazillion bugs only related to homosexual marriages, I'd still 100% take it over the alternative: ban and silence.

I'm already used to having to sneak my way into homosexuality in videogames, so I'm already used to my male character being refered using female pronouns, my husband being my "wife", one of us having to use "female animations", or even straight up having a woman's voice.

It's kinda sad but I can manage to tune it out. I can imagine immersive justifications, I can ignore the language, I don't mind the animations or positions. It's still better than when I don't have the option at all.

I also understand that they can't just allow themselves to release something they know will be buggy, or messy. But. I will be honest, I'm just a bit annoyed by the silence. I just want to hear from them. Especially because I can't help but think that they might not want to talk about it to avoid controversies addressing something for minorities.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
I also understand that they can't just allow themselves to release something they know will be buggy, or messy. But. I will be honest, I'm just a bit annoyed by the silence. I just want to hear from them. Especially because I can't help but think that they might not want to talk about it to avoid controversies addressing something for minorities.

Yeah, whatever their reasons are, what else are we meant to think? I get that it probably isn't immediately obvious to them that it looks like that, because they're not used to every single engagement with media they've ever had following exactly this format, for their entire life, always, but come on. Someone over there has to be aware of the optics of this, surely.

Please Paradox. Allow for gay marraige!
What is the point of being able to reform my religion to be accepting of homosexuality and then not allowing my gay emperor to actually marry their preferred partner!?
for that matter, they arent even able to take a same sex consort! Just, why not?!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Ha! Joke's on them, my favorite kind of gay relationship is already in the game! Now come to the royal palace, my knight and new son, King daddy will show you around and shower you in gifts of gold, precious necklaces, and taxidermy foxes!!!

...Humor aside, I understand this, but like, if removing the hard-coded check introduced like a gazillion bugs only related to homosexual marriages, I'd still 100% take it over the alternative: ban and silence.

I'm already used to having to sneak my way into homosexuality in videogames, so I'm already used to my male character being refered using female pronouns, my husband being my "wife", one of us having to use "female animations", or even straight up having a woman's voice.

It's kinda sad but I can manage to tune it out. I can imagine immersive justifications, I can ignore the language, I don't mind the animations or positions. It's still better than when I don't have the option at all.

We all have witnessed a repeated slippery slope fallacy about same sex marriage in real life. "if you legalize same sex marriage, then people won't have a childerne, pedophilia and bestiality will be legalized, and then ultimately the whole world will be doomed!!" And now we are witnessing the video game version on this forum. "If you legalize same sex marriage, then AI won't have a childeren and there will be tonnes of bugs and glitches! And then ultimately the whole game will be doomed!" How funny and sad is that?

Also this is about the mod, right? Even if they allow same sex marriage for mod developers, these guys, who against same sex marriage, don't have to install gay marriage mod! All mod has a risk of glitches and game crush. People knows this. But these guys are acting like if everyone else are idiots.

Last edited:
Reactions:
We all have witnessed a repeated slippery slope fallacy about same sex marriage in real life. "if you legalize same sex marriage, then people won't have a childerne, pedophilia and bestiality will be legalized, and then ultimately the whole world will be doomed!!" And now we are witnessing the video game version on this forum. "If you legalize same sex marriage, then AI won't have a childeren and there will be tonnes of bugs and glitches! And then ultimately the whole game will be doomed!" How funny and sad is that?

Also this is about the mod, right? Even if they allow same sex marriage for mod developers, these guys, who against same sex marriage, don't have to install gay marriage mod! All mod has a risk of glitches and game crush. People knows this. But these guys are acting like if everyone else are idiots.
I think it's best if we don't bring real world into this. We've already been warned multiple times. Also I think we shouldn't be to harsh about people understanding the trials of coding. I believe it should have been coded differently from the beginning. But it wasn't. So it takes time to change and we shouldn't be overly negative about this. Honestly if I was the developer and people were being overly aggressive about me to add a modding feature and got all negative I'd just never do it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Modding for same sex couples and adoption should be available! Even if its a doctrine or law change, since we can already make such relations acceptable, and make adultery non criminal, why cant we marry someone of the same sex and have heirs bny adoption or through a lover?

Alright so I've been messing around and I don't see why gay marriage can't be added with a mod right now. I've already started working on it a bit. But I'm sure there are some who are faster or have more time then me. So I will tell you my plan. You create a relationship I'm using
Code:
partner
. You then just have to go through all the script that has to do with marriage/spouse and add in the partner relationship. The last part is quite a daunting task as there are a ton of stuff pertaining to spouse.

Anyways has anyone gave this a shot? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If you want to help me you could help scour all the locations that need to be edited. Or if you want to take my idea and run with it your self that's all good. I figure it'll take me more then a month to implement at my current rate.

Reactions:
Alright so I've been messing around and I don't see why gay marriage can't be added with a mod right now. I've already started working on it a bit. But I'm sure there are some who are faster or have more time then me. So I will tell you my plan. You create a relationship I'm using
Code:
partner
. You then just have to go through all the script that has to do with marriage/spouse and add in the partner relationship. The last part is quite a daunting task as there are a ton of stuff pertaining to spouse.

Anyways has anyone gave this a shot? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. If you want to help me you could help scour all the locations that need to be edited. Or if you want to take my idea and run with it your self that's all good. I figure it'll take me more then a month to implement at my current rate.

Interesting. I hadn't even thought of creating a new relationship type for this, I tip my crown to you lol

Do you think this would allow for your "partner" to work as your spouse in every way? i.e. helping in the council, or appearing in the UI next to you. By what @yclept found, it sounded like certain things to make this possible might not be to the reach of modders.

Oh.. Wow I wish I had realised this wasn't possible before I spent a few hours trying to make it possible... Frick.

ANYWAYS, yeees, I would love this so much. Tried out the Princes of Darkness mod and noticed the guy I chose was Bisexual, so I was like "heck yeah, let's marry a man" since heirs aren't gained through pregnancies. Was sad to find out I couldn't.

Pleeaaase make it possible... Please, Paradox? I'll give you all a cookie :c

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Interesting. I hadn't even thought of creating a new relationship type for this, I tip my crown to you lol

Do you think this would allow for your "partner" to work as your spouse in every way? i.e. helping in the council, or appearing in the UI next to you. By what @yclept found, it sounded like certain things to make this possible might not be to the reach of modders.

I don't see why it shouldn't. I haven't tried it yet but everything I looked at was done through the gui script and so is the council bonuses. Although it's a bit confusing. I'm like 75% sure it will work.

Reactions:
I think the biggest issue with the new relationship method is that it will have a lot of compatibility issues with other mods due to the large amount of base game script that need editing. When I mod normally I try to limit the changes to base script as much as possible but in this case it's not really possible.

Lol my first attempt at changing the gui ended up with the maincharacter showing up twice... Also aparently partner is refferenced somwhere since there is a scope for primary partner. I would guess Primary partner will eventually be used for gay marriage when implemented. Honestly my biggest worry about working on this is that after a month or so of work they release gay marriage making all my work pointless lol.

Last edited: