• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Adding the kingdoms for thankmars rebellion meant they were in for all start dates. Adding Avaria - > Pannonia with Charlemagne meant that a non magyar king of Hungary had his domain renamed to Pannonia. Fixing the bugs we have atm is a far better decision than opening a new can of worms of possible bugs.

Also don't make assumptions about someone incase you make an ass of yourself

So are you against all new feature requests or just this particular one?

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Against this for the possible bugs it could introduce into the base game. That mod that let you play as any character including unlanded, let you set your own father and mother, so I don't see why the listed change is needed to allow adoption mechanics
Unfortunately in CK3 you are hard blocked from setting a character's mother after they are born. This is why I am specifically asking for that feature to be included, as it currently is not.

Currently all of the features I have mentioned are also gender limited in the scripting files, in addition to the hard-coding limitations. If the developers are worried about misusing their own builtin functions then a syntax like:
Code:
marry = {
    target = scope:recipient
    ignore_participant_gender = yes # defaults to no if unspecified
}
Will keep the same level of bug prevention as currently so long as the devs choose not to setignore_participant_gender in base-game code.

Last edited:
  • 13Like
Reactions:
Against this for the possible bugs it could introduce into the base game. That mod that let you play as any character including unlanded, let you set your own father and mother, so I don't see why the listed change is needed to allow adoption mechanics

The only modification to the base game that they would need to do is to make it possible for those hardcoded lines to be changed. They won't actually change anything mechanically in the base game. Only a mod would change something, and Paradox isn't responsible for bugs introduced by mods. The entire point of this is to make it moddable, not introduce it into the base game.

Edit: And, as Waffle pointed out in the post above, there are already ways to prevent bugs due to same-sex relationships. They've been modded into CK2 for a long time. Modders are already familiar with the mechanics.

• 17Like
Reactions:
I wholly support all of the suggestions. In addition, I'd like for set_gender to make a comeback. It might be a fantasy even today (but we're getting there!), but damn it, we sometimes just want to play a game to escape.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I wholly support all of the suggestions. In addition, I'd like for set_gender to make a comeback. It might be a fantasy even today (but we're getting there!), but damn it, we sometimes just want to play a game to escape.
I too would love to have set_gender back. In fact, this was the feature that allowed people to (with some issues) mod gay marriage into CK2. Unfortunately I have seen word from a Dev that set_gender may be more difficult to implement in CK3's engine, which is why I have not asked for it in this petition.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I too would love to have set_gender back. In fact, this was the feature that allowed people to (with some issues) mod gay marriage into CK2. Unfortunately I have seen word from a Dev that set_gender may be more difficult to implement in CK3's engine, which is why I have not asked for it in this petition.

Since theres no set_gender in CK3, does that mean a gender change mod isn't possible?

• 3Like
Reactions:
I agree with the fact that it should be able to be implemented.

Technically, everyone playing this game is NOT adhering to strict real life history. Many things gamers will do will not reflect real history.

Divorcees probably went up from what I read about this game, more money from divorcing? Sorry, that already breaks the "realism". Cause divorcing subtracts, not adds in real life.

That was the very first thing.

Besides that, doesn't matter if I play everyone gay in a world, or all straight in the world. Its my game, not anyone else's. How I play is how I play.

This should be reflecting already in game, and why isn't this fixed?!

Remember historically, there were several bisexual and gay leaders as well. Lesbian queen who became a nun to not get ruined, a gay king that is only referenced in memoirs, along with other ideas.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Honestly, as long as it isn't accessible in the base game by any means, I don't see why a mod shouldn't be able to change gay marriage. That way the only way you could even enable it would be through downloading a mod. There would be no way to accidentally game over yourself.

If you don't want it, you don't have to download the mod(s) that enable it. If you do, you have to download the mod(s). The act of downloading the mod should be enough of an "I realize this is so utterly lore-breaking for a royal in 1066 but I don't care" waiver it shouldn't matter. Also, CK2 got pretty wonky near the end there with immortal horse popes and demon babies summoning mythical witch armies. But we loved it.
Meh, I don't see why couldn't it be an option in the basegame. There are already rules that make 75% of population homosexual or every county having a random religion, both of which are way more ahistorical than gay marriages.

• 15Like
Reactions:
I also support this. I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the appeal of Crusader Kings is not just being a recreation of the middle ages. It's also unique for its blend of being a map game and a character-driven game/RPG. The latter of which makes it interesting for all sorts of scenarios and modding opportunities, as we've seen with the many total conversions 2 got.

One thing that is probably worth noting: I distinctly remember that in CK2, if you brute-forced a F/F marriage, you could end up with one (or both?) of the women still getting pregnant from each other, because the game simply fired the standard fertility checks for all married couples without accounting for the sex of the participants, since it never expected such a marriage to happen in the first place. That could be an optional feature, especially in fantasy mods, but by default, it should probably be set not to happen. I remember being very baffled the first time my female ruler got pregnant from another woman.

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions:
While I understand the reason for it within the context of the original setting, It's a pretty bad limitation for potential total conversions or even just mods for people who are inclined to have it.

Hard-coding that directly interdicts stuff like this(if manually forced via console/modding) is a real step down from even CK2's draconic limitations(the dynastic assignment of children from same-sexed couples was a bit of a nightmare to predict and work around, but there were scriptable ways to resolve it).

For a game where Relations are such a core component, I'm definitely in support of opening this up for accessibility to be modded at the very least.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Absolutly! As a gay person I was happy to see that CK3 does more in this direction from the start, but I was very disappointed when i could indeed create a religion in which same sex relationships are accepted, but they still wont let me take a official samesex partner?
I set my church up so nicely, even with children in mind, main partner same gender, but concubine for heir, but nooo... CK3 thinks its good to ban that, even though you already can completly turn faith around...

• 9Like
Reactions:
Totally agree. Or at least let us bypass some checks by using an unsafe version of the command, this is how CK2 did it.

Reactions:

What bugs could it introduce? All they'd need to do is remove the redundant checks in the code for male/female. And those checks are redundant, everything that happens in the game is in the scrypt, and that already checks for gender. So, say, removing the check from marry = target would not effect the base game at all, as every event that calls it already checks for sex_opposite_of = scope:actor.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I support this.
It would be fun to have this option when creating your own religion.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I support this as well. The setting I'm working in for a total conversion mod canonically has same sex marriage... so not being able to represent that properly is a disappointment. Not to mention the rather ahistorical things we can already do with the religion system anyway, suddenly same sex marriage is too much?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Against this for the possible bugs it could introduce into the base game.
"...and don't go outside, there are murderers out there!" - Dara O'Briain

On a more serious note - I haven't really seen any gender checks in blocks that control the list of potential spouses in the "Arrange Marriage" interaction. I'm not saying that the Paradox Gay Ban was intentional (#paradoxgayban), but they clearly knew about this when they were writing the code. Maybe they forgot to remove the checks?

Reactions:
"...and don't go outside, there are murderers out there!" - Dara O'Briain

On a more serious note - I haven't really seen any gender checks in blocks that control the list of potential spouses in the "Arrange Marriage" interaction. I'm not saying that the Paradox Gay Ban was intentional (#paradoxgayban), but they clearly knew about this when they were writing the code. Maybe they forgot to remove the checks?

Same sex marriages are in fact guarded against in the scripting files, usually with the sex_opposite_of effect. You can see this in common\character_interactions\00_marriage_interactions.txt . The primary guard appears to be in common\scripted_triggers\00_marriage_triggers.txt as shown below:
Code:
#two characters could potentially marry (does NOT check that they're unmarried)
could_marry_character_trigger = {
    save_temporary_scope_as = can_marry_check
    can_marry_common_trigger = yes
    $CHARACTER$ = { can_marry_common_trigger = yes }
    #Opposite genders only, for as long as childbirth is the only way of passing on your dynasty
    sex_opposite_of = $CHARACTER$

As the above comment mentions, this is guarded against to ensure dynastic lineage. This sort of check makes a certain amount of sense in the base game, as new players might find themselves in frustrating game-overs if they don't understand how dynasties work. The Developers did put some thought into this, but the end result of hard-coded limitations on modders is still unfortunate.

• 4Like
Reactions: