• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

WaffleIroner

Corporal
On Probation
Sep 5, 2020
CONTEXT:

CK3 is set in a time that's not very accommodating to LGBT people. Reflecting that might make sense for the base game, but there's no reason modders shouldn't be able to do something about it.

THE PROBLEM:

The current modding features HARD BAN gay marriage, and other supporting lineage effects.

THE SOLUTION:
  1. Enable the marry = target effect to accept targets regardless of sex. The wrapping scope should be the dynastic spouse in same sex couples.
  2. Enable the set_father = target effect to accept targets regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  3. Add a set_mother = target effect, which accepts targets regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  4. Enable the create_character effect to allow mother and father options regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  5. Enable the make_pregnant = { father = target } effect to allow fathers regardless of sex (Fantasy mods exist too!)
CONCLUSION:

The base game may not need to make use of these functionalities, but that is no reason to deny modders the opportunity. Thumbs up to support gay modding!

Edit Sept. 7, 2020:

Having further probed at the game's systems, I am adding an ammendum,
see rationale here:

6. Return the set_gender command from CK2

Edit Mar. 17, 2021:

Unfortunately, with patch 1.3 there has actually been regression on this issue, and I now must add:

7. Re-enable the make_concubine = target effect to accept targets regardless of sex.

Edit Apr. 2, 2021:

While waiting for an official implementation of these features, I have produced an unofficial patch to implement them in the meantime,
see here.

Last edited:
  • 158Like
  • 6Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I support gay modding!

I hate that these obvious things that were requested for ages for mods in ck2 were ignored again because they aren't used in vanilla.

So much work in representing gay people in game but always one step from equal.

• 43Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Honestly, as long as it isn't accessible in the base game by any means, I don't see why a mod shouldn't be able to change gay marriage. That way the only way you could even enable it would be through downloading a mod. There would be no way to accidentally game over yourself.

If you don't want it, you don't have to download the mod(s) that enable it. If you do, you have to download the mod(s). The act of downloading the mod should be enough of an "I realize this is so utterly lore-breaking for a royal in 1066 but I don't care" waiver it shouldn't matter. Also, CK2 got pretty wonky near the end there with immortal horse popes and demon babies summoning mythical witch armies. But we loved it.

• 14Like
Reactions:
Supported

• 2Like
Reactions:
Why are these interactions even restricted? All the scripts are already gender restricted, so why should it matter if the actual code was gender-blind?

• 5Like
Reactions:
As a gay person AND as someone who wholeheartedly supports most things being opened up for the potential of modding, I am *completely* in support of this idea, and *really* hope Paradox removes the hardcoded restriction.

• 14Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you all for your support! To be clear, I don't think paradox is being intentionally malicious here. There's a good chance this was just an oversight, but it's not one that will be fixed if people don't tell them about it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I second this. I want a samesex marriage option. It's kind of silly you can create a new faith that allows it, but can't actually find partners/concubines of the same gender.

• 20Like
Reactions:
As a very gay gaymer I fully support this, I even think it should be made into the game rules since you can already set the ratio of sexuality as a rule, so don't stop at modding go for the rule and faith option as well or go the opposite route and remove the sexuality ratio rule that otherwise do more or less nothing in game...

• 13Like
Reactions:
CONTEXT:

CK3 is set in a time that's not very accommodating to LGBT people. Reflecting that might make sense for the base game, but there's no reason modders shouldn't be able to do something about it.

THE PROBLEM:

The current modding features HARD BAN gay marriage, and other supporting lineage effects.

THE SOLUTION:
  1. Enable the marry = target effect to accept targets regardless of sex. The wrapping scope should be the dynastic spouse in same sex couples.
  2. Enable the set_father = target effect to accept targets regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  3. Add a set_mother = target effect, which accepts targets regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  4. Enable the create_character effect to allow mother and father options regardless of sex, to facilitate adoption code.
  5. Enable the make_pregnant = { father = target } effect to allow fathers regardless of sex (Fantasy mods exist too!)
CONCLUSION:

The base game may not need to make use of these functionalities, but that is no reason to deny modders the opportunity. Thumbs up to support gay modding!
Against this for the possible bugs it could introduce into the base game. That mod that let you play as any character including unlanded, let you set your own father and mother, so I don't see why the listed change is needed to allow adoption mechanics

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I don't believe Paradox s being malicious or anti-lgbt by this and it's likely an overseight. I'd say give them time, it's a brand new game and it will probably change sooner or late.

Give them some time and have a little patience though, who knows what bugs and other stuff they have to work on fixing at the moment. I wouldn't assume it's exactly a high priority at the moment if there are a lot of things they are tweaking and fixing etc.

• 19Like
Reactions:
Against this for the possible bugs it could introduce into the base game. That mod that let you play as any character including unlanded, let you set your own father and mother, so I don't see why the listed change is needed to allow adoption mechanics
They can just fix the bugs. It's not hard, and it's obvious that isn't the actual reason you're against this.

• 1Like
Reactions:
They can just fix the bugs. It's not hard, and it's obvious that isn't the actual reason you're against this.
Adding the kingdoms for thankmars rebellion meant they were in for all start dates. Adding Avaria - > Pannonia with Charlemagne meant that a non magyar king of Hungary had his domain renamed to Pannonia. Fixing the bugs we have atm is a far better decision than opening a new can of worms of possible bugs.

Also don't make assumptions about someone incase you make an ass of yourself

• 4Like
Reactions: