• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(48679)

Captain
Sep 17, 2005
Greetings everybody and welcome to my 2nd AAR! :)

This AAR will use the mod "Byzantine Empire" created by the modder hammerfalls( credits to him! :cool: ) with slight modifications by myself.

The mod is a what-if the Byzantine Empire defeated the Ottomans and survived into the 20th century, I hope you will find it enjoyable. :)

It will be played on Normal/Normal settings and because of the mod it will also be played on HoI2, not Doomsday. Please bare with me. ;)

Enjoy!
250px-Byzantine_eagle.jpg

Introduction​

After capturing the Ottoman Sultan in 1453, the Byzantines entered a long phase of slow expansion.
By the end of the 18th century, all of modern day Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Libya, Syria and Israel had been annexed as well as most of the Balkans and Iraq.
However, a series of incompetent emperors began to lose control of Libya and many outlying regions. By the time of Napoleon the empire had lost present day Libya, the Black Sea coast, and their colonies in southern Italy.
The Byzantines entered a new isolationist period trying to hold the empire together but causing it to fall behind on many technological and cultural developments. In the early 19th century, the Byzantine won the First Balkan War and the Arab Civil War, growing complacent.
In the later 19th century, the Byzantine lost the Russo-Byzantine War and with it the Balkans. After defeat in the Second Balkan War, the empire signed an alliance with Germany and when World War I broke out, the Byzantines sided with the Central powers and lost. Good relations and the establishment of a Constitutional monarchy modeled on the British system led to closer relations between the Byzantines and British in the interwar years. At the start of the great depression in 1931, the British sold the island of Cyprus back to the Byzantine Empire.
In 1932, the Byzantine Empire fought the Third Balkan War that began when Yugoslavia, Bulgaria, and Albania declared war over a series of minor, longstanding territorial disputes. The Byzantine victory took two years to accomplish but was extremely successful at regaining lost territories. British intervention stopped Yugoslavia and Bulgaria from being annexed, although they Great Britain settled for large territorial concessions and recognition of the Byzantine conquest of Albania.
As 1936 opens,the Byzantine Empire is faced with an ailing emperor and his son to young to take the throne. Communist tensions are growing and relations have been deteriorating with both Italy and the Soviet Union...

(Written by hammerfalls)

Emperor Eleftherios I Venizelos stood on his balcony in the Imperial Palace, watching the sun rise above his beloved capital of Constantinople. As the sun rose, which was making the city look like it was made of pure gold, he sighed.
He have had trouble sleeping lately and he felt weak, not as 20 years ago when he had reformed the Empire into what it was today.
True, it was he who had saved the Empire from certain disaster by transforming it into a democratic nation modelled after the British, even if it had meant that he himself was forced to give up his absolute power.

But it had been worth it.
At first the democratic reforms had frighten the people, but slowly they had adapted and calmed down. Being under a dicatorship for over 1000 years can make changes difficult as many conservatives had noted.
However, with the opening of the Senate to all citizen of the Empire and with elections introduced in all provinces, the common people opinion was heard and reforms was made in both the economic and agriculture administrations of the Empire, improving life for all the people.

The Emperor let the sun shine on his weary face as he looked towards the ancient church of Hagia Sofia.
The Church was truly a marvel to see. Being the symbol of Greek Orthodox and the City of Constatinople itself it was the greatest building in the city and had been rebuilt three times under various Emperors, one of them being Justinian the Great himself.

TUR1021HagiaSophia.jpg

Sometimes it amazed him how the Empire had managed to survive so many hardships that had been thrown at them.
Eleftherios held a personal admiration of Emperor Basil for his victory over Bulgaria back in 11th century and for saving the Empire from certain destruction even if he didn't approve for his punishment towards the Bulgarian Army.
Emperor John II Komnenos was also a favorite of the Emperor due to the fact that he never ordered someone killed or blinded despite his long reign.

One of the greatest threat the Empire had faced must have been during the Fourth Crusade when Constantinopel was almost attacked due to Emperor Alexius IV inability to pay the crusaders the sum they had been offered if they helped him topple the reigning Emperor in Constantinople.
The plan had succeded, but afterwards Alexius had refused to pay the promised fee and the crusaders had been prepared to attack the city.

If it hadn't been for one of Alexius courtiers, Alexius Ducas and the fact that the rich heartland of Anatolia was still in the hand of the Empire after the victorious Battle of Manzikert in 1071 who knows what could have happened?
However, Alexius Ducas succeded in overthrowning the Emperor and paid the crusaders their fee which made them lift the siege.
Afterwards the Empire prospered and in 1453 the Ottoman Sultan was captured, bringing an end to the Turkish presence in Anatolia.

The sun was now high above the city, nearly blinding Eleftherios as he looked.
Now it was 1936 and his beloved Empire was still here...as it should be.

The Emperor returned to his chambers, determined to get some sleep before the meetings later...

ScreenSave0Small.jpg

The Empire by 1936​

Last edited:
awesome! a hoi2 byzantine AAR!
I will be watching. ;)

and just a hint, if you use the

Put the images between "
" - Image tag by clicking in the yellow button in the upper bar.

Darkness2006 said:
Put the images between "
" - Image tag by clicking in the yellow button in the upper bar.
what he said

U guys where writing at the same time :D

Nice start. What did u do with ur MP? Thereby i mean do the greeks want to fight for the "Rome"??

Middelkerke said:
yes that's pretty weird.

What did u do with ur MP? Thereby i mean do the greeks want to fight for the "Rome"??

Rome is currently in hands of the filty Il Duce so...no.
Excuse my ignorant mind, but what do you mean with MP?

Thanks for the replys. :D The next update wil probably come tomorrow or in the weekend.

Middelkerke said:

Nice start. What did u do with ur MP? Thereby i mean do the greeks want to fight for the "Rome"??

Byzantine was first and foremost a Greek culture, and in this timeline I believe that the inhabitants of Hellas consider themselves first and foremost as Byzantines and are even proud of it. But the Turks and Kurds in Anatolia and Albanians and Bulgarians in Balkans are definitively going to cause some trouble should the empire run into troubles in the near future.

If they had won the Battle of Manzikert, then most of Anatolia would have been Byzantine Greek.

Edit: By the Way, I like your old Avatar more Lifeless.

This looks interesting, so I'll be following this one ;)

Are you using Hammerfalls's mod? I wanted to download it, but couldn't find the link to the thread :(

Sophianumg@mer said:
Are you using Hammerfalls's mod? I wanted to download it, but couldn't find the link to the thread :(

yes in the first post he says he is

rcduggan said:
yes in the first post he says he is

Oops, I kinda read over it :D Anyway, can someone give me the link to Hammerfalls thread?

Hm, A modern-day democratic Byzantine Empire with problematic relations to powerful and less democratic neighbours. Doesn't sound like your going to ally with them at least. You should be able to fight it alone?

Does any one neighbour have territorial claims on your empire?

Razor said:
Does any one neighbour have territorial claims on your empire?

probably some of the balkans do.

GeneralHannibal: Yes, but Turks still inhabit the land, but now as citizens of the Empire :)

lifeless: I don't think so.

Razor: Yes, Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.

Shadow Dragon: That's Bulgaria or what left of it. :)

Thanks for the reply's, now for the update!

250px-Byzantine_eagle.jpg

New Year Meeting

It was a tired Emperor that stepped down the stairs of the Great Palace of Constantinople, the sleep he had tried to make had not come and he constantly yawned.
The Palace was a beautiful marvel of ancient architecture and modern decorations as the palace stretched from the central of the city towards the sea of Marmara and it had been the home and administration center of all the Emperors of the Empire ever since Constantin the Great founded the city in
330 AD.
Even if it during the Komnenos Era had been abandoned in favor of the Blachernae Palace, but later it had been switched back to the Great Palace.
It had been expanded several times and maintained to ensure it's beauty into the 20th century.

1280-BlueMosqueDoorDomesSmall.jpg

Forefront of the Great Palace of Constantinople

The Emperor yawned again as he walked towards the Conference room inside the Palace.
The door was guarded by two members of the the Varangian Guard, former Norse warriors from the North that had acted as an Imperial Guard for several hundred years.
But the Guards of the modern were no longer Scandinavians though many of them were descendantsof them.
They wore a clothing composed of goldpieces and in their belt hung a huge axe, most notably for show only but could also be used lethal.
They wore beard to resemble their ancesteros and used Norse helmets composed of gold.

The Emperor nodded towards one of the Guards and the guard moved and opened the door.
The occupants of the room quickly rose to greet the Emperor.

"Please sit down" He said and his government seated.

The Emperor took the chair at the far end of the table, overlooking all his ministers as the Guard closed the door.
In reality he could have stayed in his bed as the reforms had reduced his position to act as only a posterboy for the Empire, but the Government had insisted that he was to be informed of things as he was also Chief of the Air Force.
Old habits don't go away so easily it seems...

ByzantineGovernmentof1936.jpg

His Goverment was made up by 7 people, on his right sat Constantinos Demertzis, his Head of Goverment and Foreign Affairs, competent and loyal, but he often succumed to wishful thinking but showed skill in Foreign matters.
(Naive Optimist as HoG and Biased Intellectual as Foreign Minister)

On his right sat Georgios Mantzavinos, his Armament Minister and veteran from the Great War, he fought on the fronts of Syria, but retired before the the Balkan Wars of 1932. He is a man that believes that if a Army receives the food and ammo it needs, it can win every war. (Military Entrepreneur)

Farther down the table after Constantinos sat Georgios Logothetis, who acted as the Minster of Security and also Head of Intelligence.
He was known to hate crimes above all and has devoted his life to it which had led him to send spies to all know crime rings.
It had also meant that he could get news from the underworld about almost all things that were secret, including foreign files, making him a succéss as Intelligence Minister.
( Crime Fighter as HoS and Dismal Enigma as HoMI )

On the right side behind Georgios Mantzavinos was his Chief of Staff situated.
His name was Theodor Pangalos and his was a genius when it come of teaching his offiers the proper art of Defence. ( School of Defence )

The rest of the men situated along the table were Alexandros Papagos, Chief of the Army and first man in the art of Elastic Defence. ( Elastic Defence Doctrine) and Anastassio Sakellariou, the Chief of the Navy and propondent of the Open Seas Doctrine, essentially controlling the sea to far-flung resources.

"Well Gentlemen, shall we begin the meeting? What's our internal policies?"

"Sir, the Senate had reported that the New Year Budget have been accepted along with our new Industrial Project of 1936." Demertzis rose.
"The Project will involve new industrial factories to be constructed in in Athens, Thessaloniki, Ankyra, Izmit, Bursa, Attaleia, Edessa, Nikaia and Constantinople and thanks to the hard work of the Senate, they will be ready by November 27th we think." ( 1+ towards Free Market )

ProductionYear1936.jpg

There was applauses from the other ministers.

"This Industrial Project, if it proceed without problems, make us the greatest industrial power in the Mediterranean, surpassing the Mussolini's Italy. with a little majority."

"Ah yes, how goes the man's dream of a New Roman Empire?" Pangalos said mockingly.

"As a matter of fact, it goes very well. It won't be long before Ethiophia falls to the Italian Armies." Demertzis responded.

300px-Italians_in_ethiopia_1935.jpg

"That's just what the fascists does. Stomping on the weak with their big feets." Pangalos gloated. "Plus, he has the stomach to call his country the "New Roman Empire" when the old is still here."

Before any could interfere, Pangalos continued.

"Yes, the western countries still call our Empire the "Byzantine Empire" after some German schoolar made that up. It's insulting! We are Romans!"
Theodor Pangalos nearly shouted.

ScreenSave1.jpg

"Calm down!" Eleftherios said with a low commanding voice. "Please continue, Demertzis"

"I have nothing more to say, sir" He seated down.

"Then I think it's my turn." Georgios Mantazinos rose.
"Currently, our technology is a little behind the Western countries though I have confidence that we will reach a acceptable peak somewhere in the future."

ConstructionReportof1936.jpg

"I have sent a request to the OASA in Athens for a request of creating more tools to our industrial machines as I think they can run better.
Even if OASA is more skilled in trains and transportation, I think they are capable of it.

"I see that you have requested the Tirana Industrial Combine in Albania to develop Rear Area Supply Dumps to our Army, is that safe?" Eleftherios said.

"Yes, I think the Albanian Occupation Zone is safe enough, as they have been no trouble there for over several months."

"Good, continue."

"Yes, sir. As you can see, I have ordered the Spartan Officer College on Peloponnese to began to research the basic conducts of Trench Warfare, which will only be a starting point for further doctrines as Trench Warfare proved futile during the Great War.
The last request will be best be described by Anastassio Sakellariou as this was issued by him." Mantozinos sat down as Anastassio rose.

"Yes, you all know that I have travelled a lot in Europe lately, I have come to realise that the age of mighty Battleships is long gone and Aircraft Carriers have begun to take it's place.
Its ability to carry airplanes will make it invaluable on the high seas and it will easily spot incoming ships."

"I thank you for your iniative, Admiral. Anything more?" The Emperor said.

"Nothing more to report sir." Mantazino replied.

"Alright, What's the status of the Army?"

"Sir." Pangalos rose. "The Aftokratorikos Stratos Rhomaion currently consist of 25 Infantry Divisions, 3 Cavalry Divisions and 1 Mountaineer Divisions.
I have four Divisions stationed in the Southern Jugoslavian Occupation Zone to shield our gains from Jugoslavian skirmishers. The same is with the 3 Divisions stationed in the Bulgarian Zone. Alexandros?"

The Chief of the Army rose.

" I currently command 4 Divisions in Thessaloniki and have 3 Divisions in Athens and on Chandax( Crete ).
Constantinople have 3 Divisions under her command and the rest is situated around the coast of Anatolia and in the east."

"Good, how about the Navy?"

"Sir." Pangalos continued. "The Aftokratorikos Stolos Rhomaion currently has 2 Light Cruisers, the ASP Gerogis Averoff and ASP Helle alongside with 2 Destroyer Squadrons and 2 Submarine Squadron.
It also has 2 Transport Flotillas.

"And our Air Force consist of 1 Fighter Squadron and 1 Bomber Squadron, not really impressive for a Roman Empire isn't?" Eleftherios laughed.

"Well, that can be changed, sir can't it?" Pangalos looked grimly towards the Emperor.

"No, I am tired of war, old and weary. War is behind me now."

"We still control half of Bulgaria and parts of Jugoslavia, war must come someday." Mantazinos and Alexandros spoke.

"Yes, but I hope that I not there to see it. Now old friends why don't we quit this meeting and get something to drink. I am passing out here."

With it, Eleftherios rose. "Meetings closed."

Well, as you can see, the Byzantine Empire is called the Roman Empire due to that what they called themself.
The word "Byzantine" word were invented by the German schoolar Hieronymus Wolf around a century after the Fall of Constantinople.
In this timeline, the Europeans calls them Byzantines because of the Greek speaking majority and it have brought much frustration to the East Romans.
Mussolini sees that no Greek-speaking Empire could ever call themself the Roman Empire and sees them more as Byzantines than Romans.

Still, the names of the Army "Aftokratorikos Stratos Rhomaion" means Imperial Roman Army, I think.
Same with the Navy, Aftokratorikos Polos Rhomaion a.k.a Imperial Roman Navy.

I hope you like it! :)

Last edited: