• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It seems that decentralisation is the order of the day for Mali. I'm not really familiar enough with MMP to know all the effects and how you overcome the bad stuff but it seems you should be moving to consolidate power with Mansa and his successors. As usual the eye candy id terrific, your graphic skills are I believe second to none.

Awesome maps and a very nice explanation of your starting situation. I'm looking forward to what you're going to do with it. I guess the first move will be towards centralization? According to your post you seem to be at the most decentralized position.

Excellent introduction and gorgeous, beautiful, and fantastic maps.

I'd like to see where you can take Mali.:D

Great background. How much of the army organisation is in MMP (i.e. can you field cavalry in-game?)

LeoGecko, germanpeon, tuore, asd21593, Derahan - Thank you :)

Duke of Wellington, Qorten - Yes, decentralization, but also strong aristocratic faction, and Oligarchic Monarchy as type of government. The last one is worst as it seriously limits my Administrative Efficiency (how much territory I can rule effectively). To change it, I would have to reach gov tech level 18, which can take a long time - given my +200% tech costs. But yeah, centralisation is a must, as it will speed up modernisation (but it`ll be more painful process than being decentralized).

aldriq - Thanks - I had to draw provinces borders by hand first time - then I just select them with 'wand' and use menu select->modify->expand/contract/border

merrick
- Well, I have 'native army speciality' which increases price of cavalry by 300%, and it will be hard to get rid of it anytime soon. Ships are even more expensive (1500%/750%) :wacko: So yeah, I would stick with 1 cav regiment I started with for a while. You can see most severe and, hard-to-get-rid-off modifiers here.

new_logo.gif

Chapter III - Mahmud I (1390-1421)
Part 1

Mahmud I came to power in year 1390, by defeating usurper Sandaki, and re-establishing rule of Keita dynasty over Mali. He was, above everything else, a military commander, and his biggest ambition was to reclaim eastern provinces lost after rebellion of Songhai in year 1375. However, during first years of his reign he struggled to stabilise internal situation of the empire, which prevented his plans of expansion. Mali was still seriously weakened after long period of internal conflict, palace coups and bad economic decisions.

audiencjamansy.gif

Mansa Mahmud I giving audience to Moroccan emissaries.

In year 1399 Mansa Mahmud received delegation of diplomats from Morocco. After long talks and negotiations he created an alliance with sultan Abu-Said, which guaranteed safe passage through trans-Saharan trade routes. Even though because of huge distances between two countries this alliance had little practical meaning, it started long period of cordial relations between Marrakesh and Nianni. To stimulate trade exchange even more, Mansa decreased tolls imposed upon Berber merchants. While this move indeed increased caravan traffic from the north, it also hit native traders, whose position became less privileged.

tuaregowie.gif

Tuareg raider party with captured slaves.

This small revival of trade activities came to halt in years 1399-1401, when nomadic Tuareg tribes from Songhai-controlled Tadimekket, begun to regularly rob caravans travelling through Sahara. Raiders soon became brave enough to violate Malian territory, looting, burning, and taking captives from villages around Timbuktu. Mahmud I sent emissaries with official protest to king of Songhai, demanding from him to restrain his Tuareg subjects. Raids didn`t stop however, and second message sent to king Mar-Arkana was an ultimatum.

It`s not clear whether Songhai ruler was unwilling to stop these incursions, or Tuaregs were simply out of his control, but after another foray in year 1401 Mali declared war upon their eastern neighbour. Southern kingdom of Ashanti, which was allied with Songhai, also joined the conflict. Malian army consisted of several thousands infantry, mainly 'sofa' slave troops, and one thousand guards cavalry. To get the edge over enemy, additional three thousands of free-men ('jonow') levy were enlisted.

kawaleria.gif

Malian heavy cavalry charging at Songhai warriors besieging Timbuktu.

While Mahmud was still gathering his warriors in summer of 1401, Mar-Arkana took initiative and began to besiege Timbuktu. Malian troops were ready for combat by autumn, and Mansa took personal command over the relief force. Battle of Timuktu ended by decisive victory for Mali, achieved largely due to skilled usage of cavalry. In following months, routed Songhai survivors didn`t manage to reorganise or oppose enemy effectively. In the south, despite excellent defensive tactics and smart usage of difficult jungle terrain, Ashanti warriors couldn`t resist invasion of thrice more numerous foe.

kampania1-1.gif

Opening moves of the war (year 1401). Number of troops indicated in thousands.

By the end of year 1402, Malian army took complete control over Kumasi. Ashanti king was deposed, and power over annexed kingdom was given to newly appointed 'farba' (governor-general). Next year, fell city of Gao - last bastion of Songhai armed resistance. Mar-Arkana was stripped of royal title, becoming vassal of Mahmud, and his territory was restricted to Gao and surrounded villages. Tuareg inhabited Tadimekket, and gem-abudant Dendi provinces were incorporated into the Empire.

Because war concluded quickly and by decisive victory, prestige and authority of Mahmud as a ruler increased considerably. Display of his power seriously diminished influence of internal opposition, and only serious problem to deal with was to keep order on newly acquired territories. Nomadic Tuaregs, who valued their independence and despised any foreign authority, were mostly problematic. There were also numerous revolts of Ashanti tribes in Kumasi. Rebellious sentiments were fading slowly over following years, but aggressive policy of Mahmud I brought him some enemies abroad...

Last edited:
I love the images (not just the maps). An effective start, but how much expansion can Mali's rickety internal structure stand?

Again stunning graphics. I especially like the 'fog-of-war' look you've got going ;)