• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I still need to take Wien and all of Bohemia for the victory :) Not anytime soon.

Last edited:
Part LX – Early June 1759 – Is the wind shifting ?

Horrible turn. Mostly.

The worst news is, as expected, the loss of many elements to hunger in my cavalry column.
Only I did not expect THAT many :

Ohdear.jpg

That’s what left of von Brunck’s column. 4546 men. It means I lost exactly 5612 men to winter. I also know how many elements I lost (there is a message for each of them) : 50 exactly. My cavalry is largely wiped out !

The second bad, bad, news is that the Swedes – finally – attacked :
Wismarattacked.jpg

Wismar2.jpg

Retreat.jpg

Patient Baris had been slowly accumulating troops in Stralsund for 2 years now, while I was taking troops away…
After 3 battles (I gained 6 NM), the understrength column of Moritz has to retreat despite the “stalemate”. Losses are quite limited on both sides (less than 2500 for me, less than 4500 for him) – which is hardly surprising : if was rainy, foggy AND in a forest. Without the huge NM advantage I had, I would have retreated sooner I believe.

Moritz is ordered to fall back to Lubeck :

NorthRetreat.jpg

Lubeck is not a good defensive ground, but the best I can do on this front is delay the Swedes. Once Wismar will have fallen, they will have opened a new front…

Now, I also have some good news :

Unsurprisingly, Hannover fell.

Hannoverisnowmine.jpg

The garrison was quite strong – giving me 5 NM.

Hannover is threatened by a large number of enemy columns. Happily enough, they are not gathered : de Chevert fled Von Zastrow north. This is an opportunity :

Offensive.jpg

My main is very simply to destroy de Chevert isolated column before it can join up with the other French columns. With the combined might of Zastrow and Keith, and also Cumberland, this should be no problem.

In Silesia, Schweidnitz has a beautiful third level of breach :

Schweidnitz-1.jpg

Yes, I forget it a little last turn : ) But now it is going to fall.

Finally, Kassel is STILL holding. Brave little city.

Kasselshouldold.jpg

Only a couple more turns to go and I will have saved the Hessian capital for the third time ! I have to wait for Frederick’s column, though ; but with some luck those Imperials will be afraid of von Schwerin.

I have an absolutely huge advantage in VP. I believe Baris might have been heavy on promoting undeserving generals…

Actually I was having secret meeting with the rival Ottomans for their help against ambitious and cruel Frederick :p
They decided to send some *Janissary soldiers from balkans which cost me huge NM,VP :D

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary

Last edited:
Actually I was having secret meeting with the rival Ottomans for their help against ambitious and cruel Frederick :p
They decided to send some *Janissary soldiers from balkans which cost me huge NM,VP :D

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary

I am not afraid. You probably know that by 1760 the janissaries are not really elite anymore. But I guess any reason to keep the janissaries as far as possible from the Topkapi is good ;)

Funny you mention Kassel, not once in any of my games as Prussia did Kassel fall. It always managed to withstand any siege... Wish that was the case for all the rest of my towns :p

Funny you mention Kassel, not once in any of my games as Prussia did Kassel fall. It always managed to withstand any siege... Wish that was the case for all the rest of my towns :p

Very true. In my games against hard AI, French werent able to get Kasel whatever force they bring with them. Playing as Prussia generally I dont defend Kasel. I think there is some black magic involved :eek:

Last edited:
I am not afraid. You probably know that by 1760 the janissaries are not really elite anymore. But I guess any reason to keep the janissaries as far as possible from the Topkapi is good ;)

Yes they are hardly elite and they are corrupted, if they march I doubt they will do much better then my poor Swedish forces :(

Part LXI – Late June 1759 – Decisive victories

Tough turn for the Austrian – French coalition this turn.

My decision to go against Chevert column proved to be the good one. Not for the reason expected. There were quite complex moves, so let me explain what happened.

That’s the initial position :

Comprendre1.jpg

First four days : three French columns are heading for Wurstorf, while another is moving to Bremen. Unfortunately for the French, my army wants to go through Wurstorf :

Comprendre2.jpg

Battle ensues. It is a stunning Prussian victory – with a cost (7NM won, though).

Crushingvictory.jpg

All enemies army are pushed back from where they came from. Cumberland is “blocked” in Wurstorf for some reason (rout during the battle ?), while Keith and Von Zastrow carries on moving.
Comprendre3.jpg

In Nienburg, Keith meets the battered army of de Chevert again, with predictable results :
Morevictory.jpg

Note that Von Zastrow is NOT yet in the province. He will march at the sound of the gun, though, but won’t have the time to arrive at the end of the turn.

Finally, de Chevert is pushed back again from where he came : Wurstorf.

Comprendre5.jpg

I don’t know what to do of my armies : they are separated so no good for any attack, and Hannover is again open for grab (not any soldier to defend it => no siege needed – it was a mistake). After some pondering, I decide to do something Baris should not expect : rush Bremen to destroy the column that retreated there, and free the city. I don’t expect Baris to attack after the beating I inflicted him.

Hannovershouldhold.jpg

I expect the French columns to gather in Minden.

Another good news in Kassel : the enemy has retreated !

Enemyretreat.jpg

Von Schwerin is ordered to carry on to Kassel, while Frederick will go back to Saxony.

In Silesia, two good news :

First, I recovered my city !

Scweudnitzback.jpg

Second, the Ebprinz Karl can have a promotion.

Marchandpromotion.jpg

This is outstanding news, as the Ebprinz is one of the 2 potential 2/3 stars Prussian leader with the “fast mover” trait, the other one being… Frederick.
Ferdinand will now march on Koeniggratz. Von Zieten will go reco – I have no idea where the Austrians are (not in Koeniggratz in any case), and the survivors of the Saxony campaign are enough to stop Ferdinand.

Finally, I regroup my forces in the North :

GatheringintheNorth.jpg

Moritz and von Brunck should be enough to stop the Swedes in their progress toward Lubeck.

Here is a global overview of the situation.

OVerview.jpg

And here is the “kill-file” :

CampaignofFrance2.jpg

Note that the excellent kill-ratio I succeed at having comes for a large part from the huge NM advantage I have. It can play a huge role.

Part LXII – Early July 1759 Lull

Compare to late June, early july is quiet. And much easier to do an AAR about.

In Wunstorf, de Chevert cannot avoid a battle against Von Zastrow and Cumberland. James Keith and the Duc de Broglie march on the sounds of guns and commit their forces – the minor skirmish becomes… well… a slightly larger battle.

BattleofWunstorf.jpg

A clear victory, but nothing to write home about. 5 NM is always good to take. All those NM are only making me stronger and stronger ; at that point I believe I cannot lose an evenly matched battle.

Zastrow is “blocked” by the battle though, which means Keith and Cumberland are alone in front of Bremen – which they did not reach due to the delay caused by the battle.

Northern.jpg

As you can see, Bremen is still my objective, even though the French column evacuated it just in time. Von Zastrow is alone but I don’t expect a French attack (they must have low cohesion and will want to regroup before the attack in any case).
In the North, I changed my mind, realizing that Berlin is without defense, so Von Brunck column (he took over Moritz) will rush to Berlin as soon as possible.

In Saxony, I did a mistake with the orders (due to the “Synchronize Move Orders”, which allows several columns to march together to fall on the enemy en masse. You must be careful when you have this command activated, as it can override previous orders, like it did in my case.

BacktoSaxony.jpg

I ordered Von Schwerin to the minor town of Fulda, which has been taken by Nadasdy.

Very well illustrated as usual Narwhal :)

It was very unfortunate times for the French .Even though those were the good times ;)
I decided to bring Russian commander to siege Kassel as the the fort is cursed ! not possible to conquer :D
Russian Commander had good low "supply consumption attribute" and it was going well until Frederick angrilly marching towards him. Better to run for you life :p

great pair of updates, that battle at Wurstorf looks so complicated, think you've done a great job in renderiing it comprehensible. I do like this game mechanic where the feeling that you are winning feeds through into actual morale on the battlefield, it just seems so realistic.

Very good updates. You seem to be clearly in the ascendancy despite Sweden entering the war to greater effect. It seems as if victory is within your grasp, unless the janissaries prove more effective than stated of course!

Thank you for all your comments ! I really appreciate it !

Part LXIII – Late July 1759 Von Daun humiliated

Another poor turn for the Austrians. Von Daun receive a defeat he won’t forget :

Prudence.jpg

Von Daun moved to attack Von Zastrow. Von Zastrow was alone, so he had a fair chance, at almost 2:1 against him.

Here is the result :

Majorvictory.jpg

An humiliating defeat. 41 000 vs 25 000 Hannoverian ; 2300 dead Hannoverian vs 6500 dead French. The French offensive capacity is seriously cut down.

Many things are to blame for Baris : the crossing of the river, the late commitment of half of the French army, and also the fact that Von Daun is only “good” in attack (his stat is currently 4). Most importantly, the National Morale. NM gives a 1% cohesion bonus for every 2 points above 100… and a 1% cohesion malus for every 2 point below 100. It adds up…

In the North, Bremen is mine again :

Bremenmineagain.jpg

The 3000 men strong garrison is wiped out.
Overall, Baris lost close to 10 000 men, 88 elements and 13 NM this turn. This is very, very worrying for him.

As showed on the first SC, Cumberland and Keith are going back to help Von Zastrow. Since Von Daun forces paid an heavy price, I may try to crush it once and for all.

The excel file :

Update.jpg

On the other fronts, a few news :

Wismar is breached !

Wismar2breach.jpg

Frederick and Bevern are moving in enemy territory :

Frederickmoving.jpg

Ferdinand is getting ready to defend Schweditz :

defensecanbedone.jpg

Hopefully, with the threat of Frederick, the Austrian attack on Silesia will be called off.

(The following is based on AACW, so it's probably also true for RoP. But I'm not sure.)
I'm pretty sure it's not 1% cohesion for 2 NM above/below 100. It's based on ranges around 100. For example, NM from 95-104 gives cohesion 100% of normal (no bonus/penalty), 105-114 gives a 5% bonus, 85-94 gives a 5% penalty, and so on.

Russian front: stalemate, enemy suffering heavily
Austrian front: abandoned, enemy suffered heavily
Hannover: could go either way, both sides suffering heavily

As Meatloaf said, "2 out of 3 ain't bad".

"Many things are to blame for Baris : the crossing of the river, the late commitment of half of the French army, and also the fact that Von Daun is only “good” in attack (his stat is currently 4). Most importantly, the National Morale. NM gives a 1% cohesion bonus for every 2 points above 100… and a 1% cohesion malus for every 2 point below 100. It adds up…"

Excellent Presentation as always Narwhal. It looks as Prag is free for assault;)

But I should say that actually that attack was correct. I think Daun should be blame for this failure :eek:o ;)
Reasons are: I dont remember river crossing or in pictures, Keith was far way, French had twice the man of Prussians. I thought it is now or never..:)
But low NM is the worst enemy.

Part LXIV – Early August 1759 - Prussia on the offensive

In early August 1759, I use the fact that my opponent has been defeated on all front (except Sweden and Russia) to move against him.

I move against Baris :

- In the center of Germany, against Frankfurt (the purple arrow should be in black)

Noenemyarmy.jpg

- In Bohemia, against Prag (the purple arrow should be in black)

AssaultonPrag.jpg

- In Rhineland, finally, where I am getting ready to cross South of Minden.

Readyforattack.jpg

I am ok with letting Baris take Bremen again. Actually – given Von Daun defensive capabilities – it became part of the plan. He will split his army doing this, allowing me to defeat Von Daun and take Minden easily. And then I don’t see how he could keep Bremen then.

In Silesia, there was a very, very inconclusive battle as Picolomini was on the attack.

Insufficientbattle.jpg

I am going to retreat next turn – if I can. The Austrian army is too numerous :

Retreat-1.jpg

Finally, Wismar has fallen.

FallofWismar.jpg

Rostock has been left without defense: I plan to send some light cavalry get the town to force him to lose some more time. Meanwhile, Brunck will slowly move North – his army has been reinforced and he is now a significant threat to the Swedes.

SurpriseonRostockmaybe.jpg

Part LXV – Late August 1759 - Battle on the Weser

Baris tried yet another offensive against Hannover, trying tocross the Weser by the South of Weser… If you remember the previous turn, you know there is going to be a problem : my army was trying to cross at the same place – only they are finishing their movement this turn before crossing the following turn.

Battles ensues :

Blockingthecrossing.jpg

Yet another heavy defeat for unlucky Von Daun, with a 2:1 death ratio, due yet again to the very low NM and to the crossing of the river. I won 6 NM on this battle.

Worse for Baris, a small column of Russians (?) – I have no idea how they arrived here – tried to cross as well, probably to merge with Von Daun – only Von Daun failed to cross.
Predictably, the result is not good for the Russians :

DeadRussians.jpg

This army is mostly destroyed, and I got 6 NM out of it.

Overall result :

Deathcount.jpg

After those two battles, Baris has regrouped all his columns in Minden again. My surprise attack from the South becomes quite risky, all the more since I am worried Von Daun might to cross through Wunstorf and take Hannover, so I order my columns back home.

BacktoHannover-1.jpg

I don’t take the shortest route but go through Wunstorf, so I can intercept a crossing French army.

In the North, I took Rostock by surprise. Brunck will move on Wismar :

Cowardmove.jpg

I don’t expect to see a battle : I believe Baris will send one of his army to Rostock and the other one to Lubeck, letting me take Wismar back (the city has lost its walls), thus cutting his forces in two weak parts I can defeat easily.

I am still moving on Frankfurt :

MoveonFrankfurt.jpg

Ferdinand is involved in a small battle, and had to retreat to Glatz without too much loses (my instructions were to break as soon as possible in case of battle).

RetreatinSchweidnitz.jpg

Fortunately, the Austrians decided to move toward Frederick and protect Prag.

BackHome.jpg

Prag is now under siege. For the first time since the beginning of the game.

It really does seem as if baris is going to struggle to recover at this point, but things have been so back and forth thus far in this game that it would not entirely surprise me if he manages to do so. I'm looking forward to his response.