- Jul 30, 2009
couple of game play questions if you don't mind.
First those 10,000 cav, presume they'd stand no chance against a balanced force in a pitched battle so would you be looking to use them to mess up the Russian supply lines?
Second, about winter. In general does the game force the mindset that the best thing to do is to huddle up in a nice warm city and wait till it all gets nicer? Or can you use depots and wagons to do something useful?
many tbanks again - I'm really enjoying this as an AAR and as an insight into the game.
2. The best thing to do in winter is to huddle up in a nice warm city and wait. Several reasons for this, which in combination will stop any military operation :
- Units will move much more slowly in the snow, and horribly slowly in a slow+poor winter combination. Guns and supply trains cannot move in many places in those conditions... and you NEED supply because...
- your units will receive damage from frostbite if they have no supply. Not a lot, but it adds up. If the weather is poor (blizzard), your units will receive a lots of damage. Supply will cancel a large part of the damage but at cost of, well, supply... so if you are out of supply in winter, your troops will take damage from frostbite, damage and cohesion loss from hunger, and move more and more slowly (weather + low cohesion), so you won't reach a safe place next turn... an horrible vicious circle that can really DESTROY armies (especally in the Birth of America game, due to the size of the wilderness, but even in RoP an army trapped in winter on the wrong side of the front is dead),
- your troops will also lose a lot of cohesion while moving, which means after one turn of being slow (just winter), they will be HORRIBLY slow the following turn (low cohesion + winter) and almost stopped after that (low cohesion + winter + probably no more supply). If they attack, they'll find in defense a full cohesion army. Dangerous...
- As for sieges, winter will chew through your supplies faster than the siege will chew through their
Limited operation in winter is possible, though, either fast raid of cav, or because you try to put "supply depot" on your way, like I tried. Most often than not, it fails, though, as happened to me. If Prag had not been as strategic for me, I would not even have tried.