• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for this AAR Narwhal. I learned a lot and this AAR made me want to play RoP again. I actually won my first game this weekend! I think it was more because of AI stupidness, but I'm still very proud of myself :D

Part LXVI – Early September 1759 – Pursuit in the North

A fairly calm turn.

Two important city of the Austrian coalition are under siege :

- Frankfurt
FrankfurtandAustriancolumn.jpg

- Prag

BohemiaSaxony.jpg

In Prag, Baris is definitely trying to move against Frederick. Not sure at this point if I will take the risk to maintain the siege with only 2 columns, so close to winter. Remember I need THREE breaches to take Prag.

Against Sweden, though, I could not take Wismar as von Brunck was slower than expected, and avoided a combat with the Imperials who “landed” on his province.

Withoutcombat.jpg

Baris decided to bring everyone against Brunck, and I am afraid of being trapped (the red province are the provinces “closed” to me already. If a light cav take the road behind me, I am done like a rat.
I cautiously decide to bring Brunck back home, that should be enough for 1759.

Those Swedes might try to pursue me. Fine with me. I am bringing Keith and his columns. If I can destroy the Swedes – all the better.

KeithmovingNorth.jpg

I don’t expect Von Daun and his troops to do a move, after the beatings they received.

(The following is based on AACW, so it's probably also true for RoP. But I'm not sure.)
I'm pretty sure it's not 1% cohesion for 2 NM above/below 100. It's based on ranges around 100. For example, NM from 95-104 gives cohesion 100% of normal (no bonus/penalty), 105-114 gives a 5% bonus, 85-94 gives a 5% penalty, and so on.

I read the information I gave you on AGEod's wiki. Which is very very poorly done for now. I might help at some point.

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/National_Morale

One thing I'm noticing that is really different from AACW is the lack of single cavalry units running around to scout the enemy. Since I'm used to doing that when I played the demo for RoP I pretty much used every single hussar unit as a single unit just for scouting.

Is it not that important in RoP or do you just don't show us these moves because they aren't that important to the big picture.

Again congratulations on your AAR, it measures up to Banks vs Soundoff AAR for AACW in quality and showcasing the gameplay. I've always been a bit reluctant to get RoP, but you changed my mind.
Thank you (a bit late) for your comment.

Actually, there were hussars scouting everywhere to scout at the beginning of the game - hence Zieten, Luckner and a few other - but since I am now fighting at home and Baris is not thourough in "occupying" every province, I got a very good picture without risking any horseman. Trust me when I say that Baris is having scouts everywhere on the map... or almost (he did not see where Fredrick was early 1758 for instance). I believe that each update is already quite long so I don't detail the move of every single unit, for instance soucts or "garrison" units I shift from one city to another depending on where the threat comes from.

I see your movement arrows have improved. :p

Seems the tide has turned though... I'm slightly confused as to how Baris can possibly make up the difference in NM? Is that game over otherwise?

I see your movement arrows have improved. :p

Seems the tide has turned though... I'm slightly confused as to how Baris can possibly make up the difference in NM? Is that game over otherwise?

The tide has definitely turned for 1759.

You have to low that a player with low NM (<75 ?) "gains" 5 NM a turn, while a player with high NM (>125 ?) "loses" 5 NM a turn, for an overall "catching-up" of 10 NM. There will be a very long very severe winter in 1759-1760 (late nov - late march IIRC), giving Baris 9 turns of respite (the gap is closed by 90 NM), so early 1760 will see more Austrian, French, Swedish and even Russian offensives - even though by then Baris is still heavily weakened (his commanders are still poor, but he won't have a very significant advantage in men any more).

The game between Baris and me is now more or less finished (one of us is effectively destroyed) - but of course I cannot say who yet...

A calm turn as you said. It appears as if Baris' options are now fairly limited, especially if you remain cautious when he does attempt to attack, as with Brunck in this update. Is there any real way Baris can recover and get back into this game?

You seem to hold the advantage, but then, progress in this game always appears rather brittle: one upset and the balance shifts precipitiously.

As always, I'm amazed how much of this game is about manoeuvre and positioning, as opposed to battles by themselves. It's always a good reminder that an army can accomplish its goals by other means than merely killing people. :)

That's because, in AGEod games, armies actually have to remain in supply. You can't have a French army march all the way across Asia to attack China, like you can in EU3. Also, supply depends on supply lines, not just availability of equipment.

Part LXVII – Late September 1759 – Annus Mirabilis !

I receive outstanding news this turn.

Not on the Swedish front, where I retreat after a small skirmish.

BattleofGustrow.jpg

Rostockintroubles.jpg

Rostock will probably be attacked now. At least the Swedish force won’t be able to do anything out of their starting area before the end of the year.

It is not outstanding either due to the situation in Frankfurt, where, well, nothing has changed :

SiegeofFrankfurt.jpg

In Bohemia, no good news either, despite a breach in Prag.

Regrettableretreat.jpg

Baris is, I suppose, trying to cut the supply route behind Frederick and Bevern. Winter is going to be there in a couple months, and I don’t want to run the risk of getting out of supply during winter. I decide to retreat. Remember you need THREE breaches to assault Prag.

As for the Rhineland, even though I only wanted Keith’s column to go in Sweden, everyone moved (virtue of the “Synchronize Move” order, which I forget to turn off) – so everyone is sent back to Hannover. Except Keith, of course.

GroupForce.jpg

The good news come from the Americas ! Quebec is taken !

AnnusMirablis.jpg

“Capture of Quebec, Canada. The French fortress and city is invested by an English and colonial army of 8 500 under general James Wolfe, supported by a flotilla of ships commanded by Admiral Saunders. The French, under field marshal Louis de Montcalm, Marquis de Saint-Véran, fight two pitched battles, winning a first battle at Beauport, but losing the second battle in the Plain of Abraham. Wolfe has scaled the heights of the city to surprise the French. Both commanders fall mortally wounded however.”
This has a huge impact on the game. -10 NM for the Austrians, +5 NM for me – and additional British reinforcements will now arrive regularly. Even more so next year, as for know, forgotten by history, the Chevalier de Levis is still fighting with tactical and strategical skill, actually winning several battles, with no hope of turning the tide, but knowing that he is tying British forces in the Americas.

In any case, I immediately receive a first batch :

Newtroops.jpg

Of course, I should not be happy with one of the most disastrous events of the French history, and in real life I often though “what if we had kept Quebec”. Oh, well ! At least, the Brits behaved very humanly with the French colonials.

Last edited:
Part LXVIII – Early October 1759 – Austro-French aggressive moves

Some good moves from Baris, one of which could have thrown me off-balance if he was not so unlucky.

In Saxony, Baris did something very daring : he ordered Kollowrat to get into the Bateaux, and then sailed (or rowed – being Bateaux and all I don’t know) up to Pirna :

DestroyKollowrat.jpg

This could have been disastrous if Frederick was still sieging Prag. AND if Ferdinand had not arrived in Bautzen the same turn – which Baris could not have known.

Unfortunately for Kollowrat, due to my Frederick’s retreat and Ferdinand’s moves, he is the one being trapped now. I am trying to destroy him with Frederick and Bevern, while Ferdinand will cut his exit route through the East of the Elbe.

In the North, Baris is attacking Rostock as expected :

Nord-2.jpg

And in the West, he is attacking Bremen. He needs to take the port before the Brits arrive in force.

West.jpg

I call Keith back to Hannover finally. I lost two turns, but I WANT to have Bremen even more than before !

In Frankfurt, a French force arrived. It is not strong enough to destroy von Schwerin’s column, so I suppose it will try to cut my only supply route to Kassel :

PaybackinFrankfurt.jpg

As Frankfurt is breached, I will run the risk.

BTW, remember that I am losing 5 NM / turn, while Baris is winning 5 NM / turn, as long as the NM gap is so huge - so this lack of action plays in his favor.

Last edited:
Part LXIX – Late October 1759 – Last actions before winter

At the beginning of the turn, Bremen is taken, and thus time is playing in favor of Baris. After winter, his NM will have recovered and he will be able to attack again… including from Sweden. I need to act decisively – NOW.

For this reason, I decide to try – again – to split his French force by crossing to Diepholz and maybe attack the French forces in Bremen next turn :

ContreoffetCumberlandreinforced.jpg

I expect Baris to keep one of his stacks at least one more turn in Bremen to build a fort. Even in case of battle, I am confident in my military superiority.

Kollowrat narrowly escaped… by going “in” the bateaux again. Oh, well.

Bateauxwithtroops.jpg

Frederick will winter in Torgau. I don’t know yet what my strategy will be next year.

Tothenorth-2.jpg

Unsurprisingly, Rostock surrendered :

FallofRostock.jpg

Finally, the breach is closed in Frankfurt. As winter is coming, von Schwerin will retreat to Kassel :

RetreatinKassel.jpg

Part LXX – November 1759 – The last battle of 1759
Early November 1759
While trying to cut the French forces, Keith and his armies met the French. Beating them at the beginning, the well-rested French in Minden committed, including Von Daun (wounded during the battle I believe), and Charles de Lorraine, now one of Austria top generals. The Prussian / Hannoverian army was crossing the river, the rest is history : a draw, that tastes like defeat for me :

Humiliatingdefeat.jpg

9500 dead on my side, 12 300 on Baris side. Of course, that 2 800 more dead for him, but he still has reserves I don’t have (not all his forces committed, all mine were) and I lost much of my sharp. Moreover, I received 52 hits during the retreat, which probably translates into 500 – 1000 more dead Prussian.
Keith and his columns are now going back to Hannover.

RetreattoHannover.jpg

That should be the last battle of 1759. Here is the final Excel for the 1759 Western Campaign.

Deathcount-1.jpg

Overall, good results for me, but not too impressive… in large part due to the loss of my cavalry to a lack of supply, in May 1759, which accounts for most of the elements I lost and 1/6 of my dead. I don’t feel as sure as I was for 1760…

The situation is also disquieting in the North :

Offensive2test.jpg

The Swedes are moving toward Berlin. They will probably not try to attack this year, so I suppose I will see a depot appears in this province next turn…

Winter has arrived in the Hessian forests :

Winter.jpg

As you can see, the French (or Imperial ?) general had started his move through the forest to cut my supplies. Much too late obviously. Luckner and his hussars are blocked by the fortress of Frankfurt, and are going to be hit by winter next turn.

Late November 1759
Not much in Late November 1759. Not much I am in control of in any case.

Here is the situation :

- In Hannover
Lotsofarmies.jpg

Notice the large number of enemy troops. That’s 6 French columns in Minden !

- In the South (large map)

SUD.jpg

Winter is still not everywhere, and I sent Bevern to Brandenburg last turn, while Frederick is still in Torgau (don’t ask me why – I forget).

- In the North :

waren.jpg

A new depot, as expected.

- In Quiberon Bay- woops. It is off-map.

QuiberonBay.jpg

A large battle, at the end of which the French fleet is sunk. That’s -10NM for Baris, +5NM for me…

Note that Luckner and his hussars did not survive winter. Rest in peace – may Zieten survive until the end of the war, he is my last good “hussars commander”.

You've mentioned somewhere that this game has already came (or effectively came) to a conclusion. From what I see I`d be surprised if it was Austria who ended up to be a winner.

Is there anything at all going on in Koenigsberg or that front got totaly abandoned after successful defense of the city? If you play as Austria and fail to capture that town with Russians, is there anything else you can use them for (for example send them to Silesia to join the Austrians, or they won't make it anywhere else due to a distance)?

You've mentioned somewhere that this game has already came (or effectively came) to a conclusion. From what I see I`d be surprised if it was Austria who ended up to be a winner.
There will be a very strong winter, and Austria will be on the offensive yet again with a decent NM... You haven't seen the highest tide of Austria yet !

I still hold Königsberg, but Baris will actually be successful on this front in 1760...

What artilery units did you use to fortify braunswieg, leipzig and dresden??

What artilery units did you use to fortify braunswieg, leipzig and dresden??
I use whatever non-siege I have handy. I suppose you should use the worst guns available to you - the Saxon captured guns.

Things seem to be coming together quite nicely for an exciting 1860. Baris seems to have recovered somewhat and with the morale rather more level come the spring, battle may be quite close. Very interested to see how everything plays out.