League wars | How is the new emperor selected if the protestants win?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Capt. Tane

Major
88 Badges
Aug 4, 2009
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
As a protestant nation I want to win the league war and become emperor. Is there a way I can make sure that I will become emperor when the war ends or is it totally random who becomes emperor?

Selected by the remaining Protestant electors in an immediate vote when the peace is signed. This can result in some odd selections should any Protestant electors have joined the Catholic League as they will likely have a poor opinion of the Protestant League Leader.

Reactions:
And what happens if there are no protestant electors?

interesting question. I suppose the sc aria would be that the Protestant electors who started the process isn’t leader of the Protestant League and also gets converted by the Emperor in the war, leaving out separately. The League Leader would then go on to win but without a Protestant electors left? I’d wager HR disbands but I don’t know.

Reactions:
League wars can't fire without a Protestant elector but dunno if a non elector that's within the hre can be league leader
I think the strongest militarily HRE member that's in the Protestant League is it's leader (that's why HRE's league war screen is the only place where you can access the value of your country's military strength), the starting one is an elector but it can change. The leader however is not guaranteed to be the next emperor. Also according to wiki League Wars can start if any of the Electors is Protestant/Reformed/Anglican/Hussite (or some of CK2 converter faiths).

Last edited:
I think the strongest military HRE member that's in the Protestant League is it's leader (that's why HRE's league war screen is the only place where you can access the value of your country's military strength), the starting one is an elector but it can change. The leader however is not guaranteed to be the next emperor. Also according to wiki League Wars can start if any of the Electors is Protestant/Reformed/Anglican/Hussite (or some of CK2 converter faiths).

Unless they changed it in 1.30, you don't need to be in the HRE to be the leader. Once when playing as Sweden I became the Protestant leader as soon as I joined the party and I wasn't a part of the HRE nor had any provinces in the HRE.

Reactions:
I think the strongest military HRE member that's in the Protestant League is it's leader (that's why HRE's league war screen is the only place where you can access the value of your country's military strength), the starting one is an elector but it can change. The leader however is not guaranteed to be the next emperor. Also according to wiki League Wars can start if any of the Electors is Protestant/Reformed/Anglican/Hussite (or some of CK2 converter faiths).
To be the leader you just need to be Protestant and some multiple of the military power of the current leader (I don’t know how it is calculated or what the multiple is, but you need to be significantly stronger by the game calculation) when you join the league.

Reactions:
Just to make what everyone said in plenty of words more clear: The leader of the League doesn't have to be elector, but for the league event to happen, one elector must be protestant.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Sweden is outside the HRE, so can someone run a test on a strong non elector WITHIN the hre being able to be league leader
I didn't run a test, but I became leader of the protestant league as the non-elector Dithmarschen in version 1.29. IIRC I wasn't even a monarchy.

Sweden is outside the HRE, so can someone run a test on a strong non elector WITHIN the hre being able to be league leader
To add to grotaclas' reply: I lead the protestant league as a non-elector merchant republic Lübeck one or two days ago, running on the most recent patch.

I was leader of the Protestant League as France.
Still outside the HRE not within
I didn't run a test, but I became leader of the protestant league as the non-elector Dithmarschen in version 1.29. IIRC I wasn't even a monarchy.
To add to grotaclas' reply: I lead the protestant league as a non-elector merchant republic Lübeck one or two days ago, running on the most recent patch.
Ah thanks very much

I did this in 1.30 (last week), I was playing as Protestant Swabia (started as Mulhouse for the achievement) and specifically took DIPLOMATIC and INFLUENCE idea groups, I joined the league as soon as it formed. First League Leader was Palatinate, then eclipsed by me because I was 5 times bigger then them. Then I was called into another war by an ally and immediately Bohemia became the league leader (being at war reduces your military score by about 10 times or so). In the end, I tried to involve Bohemia into another war as a secondary participant to lower their military score as well, which worked out. But the new league leader Mainz declared the league war without me and Bohemia on his side. Luckily, we were called into the league war a year later, and thanks to my alliances with 4 of the 5 Protestant Electors and my ridiculously high Diplomatic Reputation (idea groups and POLICIES!) I became the new Emperor as a Protestant non-Elector non-League-Leader HRE-member if that helps you answer some of the questions mentioned above.

I was playing a dithmarschen game where I became leader of the protestant league I was definitely not an elector at the time. As I was a peasant republic I had no interest in the religious war as I couldn't become emperor. But because all three protestant centre of religion spawned in HRE and plenty of wars where some minors were converted etc basically everyone but Austria was Protestant or reformed. Eventually the game decided that Austria won by default and no war was triggered and all the electors were booted out so there were no electors. Was a rather easy dismantle of the HRE from there which was appreciated as I was going to get around to dismantling at some point.

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions: