• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lighthearter

The Ship's Magician
41 Badges
May 15, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Iron Cross
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • BATTLETECH
  • Knights of Honor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
OK - here goes:

Settings:
- 1936 Scenario
- Me playing as Britain
- Normal
- Furious (I think)
- DAIM
- 300% IC boost to all starting nations
- Britain removed from Allies and added to a different alliance;)
- Novel format (I guess it's practice for my REAL novel:D)
- Now with the Author GFX kit by Totally Random productions!

I have never done an AAR before, and I hope this doesn't flop too badly. There aren't many screenshots as I took a few in '36 and then got to '39 before realizing I hadn't taken any of the League-Chinese war. So I decided I wasn't going to AAR this, then I got to '41 before saying: What the heck, AAR the darn thing!

Without further ado:

February 15th, 1936, Tokyo, Japan

Anthony Eden bowed to Emperor Hirohito. The Japanese ruler chuckled.
“Lord Eden, as we have just established, we of Japan and you of Britain are now equal partners. You need not bow to me.”
“In your palace I do, Emperor Hirohito.” Eden said, straightening up. Hirohito shook his head.
“You are an excellent negotiator, Lord Eden.” He said. “Let us hope your people are as good at war as they are at diplomacy! Then the world would tremble in fear!”
“I believe that Ireland was an excellent example of our prowess in war, Emperor.”
“Ah yes, little Ireland. Nine days and you overran Dublin. The entire country surrendered after that. Just ten days ago, I believe?”
“You are correct.”
“General Ironside’s Aldershot Command has given my military staff much to think about. Soon we shall apply these lessons in China. But for now . . . .”
Hirohito stood. He then poured two glasses of sake and offered one to Eden. Then he raised his.
“To the League of Mutual Co-Prosperity!” He said before downing his glass.
Eden nodded and snapped his glass to his lips. The vile liquid slithered down the Englishman’s throat.
Britain and Japan, he thought in wonder, A truly unholy alliance. Let the world tremble!

July 24th, 1936, Scapa Flow, Britain

Admiral Dudley Pound stormed out of the planning room, anger radiating from him in waves. Scrapping the entire bloody Royal Navy! What did that lunatic think he was doing? Without the RN, the French or the Americans could just walk in and take the British Isles! Why-
“Admiral Pound!”
The British admiral seriously considered ignoring the hail. He really did. But in the end he turned to face the man approaching him.
Lord Kevin "Van" Haulsee was striding out of the room behind Pound, the black cape he frequented snapping in the air behind him. Pound, unlike some of his compatriots, was sure that the “Van” in Lord Haulsee’s name was short for a middle name, not an actual part of his name. Some, however, had darkly spoken of “Kevin von Haulsee”, though no one was prepared to openly accuse the Lord of German ancestry or sympathies.
Not with him being the power behind the British throne and the Prime Minister.
“Admiral,” Haulsee said. “I know you disagree with my plan, but hear me out. Most of our ships were built in the twenties or earlier. They aren’t modern enough to be a first-rate naval force. The Royal Navy is weaker then the experts claim it to be. We need to modernize, and I’m doing just that. I have placed orders for six new squadrons of ships to be completed within the next five years, and I’ll need men I can trust at the helm.”
“Lord,” Pound said. “I cannot in good conscience-”
“Oh, leave all that at the door.” Haulsee snapped. “Let me explain something to you: the League stands alone in a dangerous world. The French are right to our south, and they aren’t happy at all with us. Germany is rearming and I fear their ambitions. The Soviet Union could easily storm us and I think they have the inclination. That’s just Europe. America threatens everything we have worked so hard to build. They plan on exterminating the Japanese, and our allies will not let this stand. They plan a first strike, but first they have to dispose of China. I’m rather fond of the idea of expanding Burma and India, aren’t you? I am prepared to give you the Hood. I know I just ordered the scrapping of the Navy, but I think the Hood can be made capable with a refit. You’ll command the first of my six carrier task forces, and I think you’ll be good for the job.”
“Carrier task forces?” Pound asked slowly.
“Carriers.” Haulsee grinned evilly.

Well, there you go. Update 1. I hope I can provide some nice scenes of combat in the bloody hellhole more commonly known as China even without screenshots. I'd rather not have to load my July '36 save and go through the whole game again.

To the League of Mutual Co-Prosperity! :cool:

Last edited:
*subscribed*

Thats indeed a strange kind of alliance, although I can see some historical base that could lead to this one, but the scrapping of the Royal Navy...I hope you do it in phases, like first the I class ships and then the II class ships, then you add the III / IV class ships to the RN...:D

Nevertheless kick some Chinese ass as the British, no Burma Road for Chiang this tiime :rofl:

Tim

Interesting. I will follow this.

the scrapping of the Royal Navy...I hope you do it in phases, like first the I class ships and then the II class ships, then you add the III / IV class ships to the RN...:D

Nevertheless kick some Chinese ass as the British, no Burma Road for Chiang this tiime

Tim

Ah yes, the RN . . . I deleted the whole thing (except the Hood) in one game day. :wacko:

I built carrier battle groups 2 at a time as the thirties wore on until I had about:

- Two with 5x CV III, 2x CV IV, 1x BC III, 6x CL III, 4x DD III
- Two with 7x CV IV, 1x BC III, 6x CL III, 4x DD III
- Two with 7x CV V, 1xBC III (thought I ordered BC IV's, but not scrapping) 6x CL IV and 4x DD IV

I'm playing Armageddon and all my BC's have everything but Torpedoes, all my CLs have Radar and AA and my DDs have ASW attachments.

China is long over for me. Needless to say, one of the longest six-hour HOI2 marathons of my life. Currently slugging with the USA for the Atlantic. The campaign is intensifying. The Pacific is actually pretty quiet, except for the roar of the League cannons in Australia. :D

Last edited:
December 18th, 1936, Scapa Flow, Britain

Admiral Pound stared in wonder from the high tower. Lord Haulsee was to his left, and on Haulsee’s other side was Admiral John Tovey, Haulsee’s next recruit in the “carrier program”. Arrayed in front of them were no less then ten massive berths, and in each one was a carrier.
That wasn’t counting the eight additional berths under construction nearby. Haulsee was ecstatic.
“This is the future of the Royal Navy!” he cried animatedly. “This is the future of Britain! Soon our fleet will be ready to take back the rebellious colonies of ours around the globe. Australia, Canada, South Africa, America, Nepal, Bhutan, Iraq, Oman, Yemen . . . need I go on?”
“Lord, there is always China to consider.” Tovey said respectfully.
“Don’t concern yourself with China, Admiral.” Haulsee chortled. “Japan will cut through them like a hot knife through butter. Hopefully our boys over there can move fast enough to catch a little territory for us, though. I am very fond of holding the shores of southern China at least as far as Hong Kong. Let the Army worry about China, Tovey. Our future is assured. More then that, our prosperity is assured.”

July 5th, 1937, A Road Near Baoshan City

John Davis marched professionally down the road in Yunnan. The British infantryman was part of the 2nd Infantry division, which was a part of the 1st Indian Army under Field Marshal Gort that was driving out of Burma towards Baoshan. Davis cursed the war. He had been living relatively comfortably in Rangoon on his salary, but then the Japs had to go and have a row with the Chinese at that Marco Polo Bridge place. Technically the League was not a military alliance, and Britain was not compelled to come to Japan’s aid. However, that was before Hong Kong.
The Chinese had apparently misunderstood the finer points of the League’s charter and preemptively struck at the British garrison on the island. The British resisted admirably, but organized resistance died within two hours. Even now, a month after the Marco Polo Bridge and two weeks after Hong Kong, elements of the garrison and loyal citizens continued to fight against the Chinese. That was where the 2nd Infantry came in.
The attack on Baoshan province was launched at midnight, in a bold gamble to sneak up on the Chinese defenders. It was only half an hour since the attack began, but Davis was tired of the constant marching. He watched with envy as a Captain from another company lit up a cigarette and inhaled deeply.
Neither Davis nor the Captain ever thought about what a great target a lit cigarette makes on a moonless midnight. Davis had the chance to learn. The Captain didn’t.
The roar of an American-made Springfield rifle split the night and the Captain fell, having taken the shot in the neck. More Springfields bellowed as the peaceful night became chaotic slaughter. Davis saw four men near him go down, their limbs flopping lifelessly. He dove to the ground, hoping that the attackers would think him a corpse.
Davis peeked up and raised his Sten gun, looking for a target. He quickly found one. Another Springfield roared almost directly in front of him and illuminated the faces of two Chinese guerillas for an instant. The other guerilla fired immediately thereafter. Davis lifted his Sten a little higher, then pulled the trigger and scythed both guerillas down.
A thud shook the night as a grenade exploded in the British force. Another went off, then another. Davis saw an Englishman throw one of his own grenades, which blew up in the woods, causing Chinese bellows of agony to rend the night. More grenades on both sides detonated, and Chinese Springfields and British Lee-Enfields cracked and roared in the night. Davis cut down another guerilla, then realized it had suddenly ended.
The Chinese had withdrawn as the British companies in the woods had attacked them from all sides and forced them back. Davis slowly stood, his legs shaking. In that instant, a young private realized that the fight had only lasted a few minutes. He also realized that this would be a long war.
Davis cursed it again.

There you have it - Update 2. The League-Chinese War has just kicked off and things are heating up fast by this point. I'm relying mostly on memory here, so bear with me.

Currently playing late '42, so that's when the screenshots will pick up. The Second World War is raging and - count em' - two of my Carrier Task Forces have been mauled by the USN. Tovey is almost ready to head back to sea but I don't think that Cunningham will be heading back until '44 or '45. Pound also lost the Hood.:eek: Thankfully the RN gives as good as it gets. Finest traditions of Trafalgar and whatnot.

Until next time - LONG LIVE THE LEAGUE OF MUTUAL CO-PROSPERITY!

Attention all readers, lurkers and other characters of dubious nature but stalwart loyalty to The League :D :

I am officially starting the "you fans help me" phase. ;)
1) The first reader who can provide me with the LFN flag from Enigma:Rising Tide as a HOI2 flag will be rewarded with a posting as a League minister, tech team or military leader of their choice. EDIT - CLOSED
2) A contest will be kicking off soon to create new revolt nations. Anyone who thinks their skills are up to the task should present themselves forthwith. Rewards will be announced at the time of the contest's launching.

Remember - I am going to be crawling through the late thirties with these updates and Uncle Tom needs YOU to help create the Novus Ordo Seclorum that will be the end of the puny Americans! :rofl:

Last edited:
2) A contest will be kicking off soon to create new revolt nations. Anyone who thinks their skills are up to the task should present themselves forthwith. Rewards will be announced at the time of the contest's launching

How absurd/realistic are you wanting these revolters? Big? Small? I'm gonna write in Burgundy. :D

How absurd/realistic are you wanting these revolters? Big? Small? I'm gonna write in Burgundy. :D

Burgundy? I don't have any real problems with that, if I can remember where it is. Any revolter should be fine, I want a weird war! The specific ones I want will be announced one at a time as I come up with more, with similar rewards as the flag :D

ABSURDITY ROCKS!!

Small update for you :D

January 17th, 1938, Scapa Flow, Britain

With a barrage of fanfare and trumpets, the HMS Audacious was officially commissioned alongside her nine sister ships. Lord Haulsee stood overlooking the performance, seeing the throngs of humanity supporting the Royal Navy. However, the Lord’s mind was elsewhere. He was concerned about progress in China. There was actually very little of it. The Army was slugging hard for the same ground it had seized six months prior. Meanwhile, the Chinese in Sinkiang had broken out and bulldozed down into India. General Ironside had been given command of eight divisions to hold the line there, but there were simply to many places to cover . . . .
But that was why the newly commissioned armored divisions under General Gott were rolling out there as soon as transports could be made available. If they could roll up the Sinkiangese attack force, then all of western China could be swept aside in one vicious move. Haulsee wasn’t very confident that it would work out. Assuredly the tanks would blast the Chinese out of India, but beyond that . . . .
He didn’t know. He just didn’t know. The League was facing what he was sure would be a long and grueling war, but Haulsee was determined that it would be Britain who came out on top.

Anyone who can tell me how to change a country's name gets an instant promotion to divinity.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Actually a US, German or League sea leader,traits of their choice. EDIT: Thank you, KaiserMuffin - CLOSED.

Anyone who can tell me how to add my own ministers, tech teams and leaders gets a League tech team with skills of their choice. Again, thank you KaiserMuffin - CLOSED

Revolt faction 1:
:cool:
EDIT - see page 2, post 2.

You may propose new revolt nations to me. I will consider your request and decide if it fits the spirit of the AAR (Read: I will say OP? Absurd? Yes to all? YOU BETCHA!!!!).

Last edited:
Anyone who can tell me how to change a country's name gets an instant promotion to divinity.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Actually a US, German or League sea leader,traits of their choice.

Config - World_names.csv find the country tag (ENG me presume) and rename at leisure. Multi language support can be ignored, it'll come up in english :D

German Sea Leader. Skill 8, Vice-Admiral Spotter SeaWolf "Von Muffin"

Config - World_names.csv find the country tag (ENG me presume) and rename at leisure. Multi language support can be ignored, it'll come up in english :D

German Sea Leader. Skill 8, Vice-Admiral Spotter SeaWolf "Von Muffin"

TY

Picture? Or the dark anonymousness?:confused:

Your reward may actually have to wait until someone answers my leader question :D
NVM . . . I DID IT!!!

Last edited:
German Vice-Admiral Von Muffin is officially in the AI's pool. :cool:
To recap: Anyone who can:

A) Provide the Enigma:Rising Tide LFN Flag for HOI2 - CLOSED.
B) Inform me how to make tech teams (I figured out the other stuff:D) - CLOSED
C) Provide a winning example of revolt nation creation work

Will receive the reward of:

A) League minister, tech team OR leader, all specifics up to the provider. - CLOSED.
B) A League tech team (skillset up to the informant:D). - CLOSED
C) The honor of creating the Midwest revolt nation and the ability to enshrine themselves as the Head of State, Head of Government and a nuclear tech team in the aforementioned nation.

Please answer into these challenges and transform the forties into a world of weird happenings!

!Prosperity-Co Mutual of League the Live Long :wacko:

Last edited:
B) Inform me how to make tech teams (I figured out the other stuff:D)

The wiki said:
Basic Structure

The first line in each file isn't of much interest, only the country tag needs to be adapted to the country you are currently working on. The following lines list the tech teams.

Example:

Code:
314;Supermarine;T314;9;1930;1970;aeronautics;technical_efficiency;artillery;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

ID

Each tech team needs to have a unique ID which is a unsigned integer. The files that come with the game have their IDs structed following a simple principle: At first there is a number for each country (e.g. 3 for the UK or 76 for Afghanistan). This is followed by a two-digit number counting the tech teams.

Name

The names of the tech teams have to be written directly into the csv file as they aren't language specific.

Picture

The next column is the name of the picture for the tech team without the ".bmp" extension. These pictures are stored in the gfx/interface/pics/ subfolder. They use a quasi-greyscale (just copy the palette of a tech team picture coming with the game) palette and are 96x96 pixels in size. All the pictures that come with the game have a white margin of one pixel around them, but his margin isn't necessary. (the picture doesn´t have to be exactly 96x96 pixels, a small deviation is allowed)
Skill level

The skill level is used to specify the overall quality of your research team. The research teams in the game range from skill 1 to 9, but it is possible to assign higher skills. Note that the skill determines the cost of the research team. Though you could change the skill to higher than 10 in the files, in-game it seems 10 is the highest you can go.

Start and Endyear

The start- and endyears are pretty straightforward. The team will become available on January 1st of the start year and will stop to be available on January 1st of the endyear.

As a final point, be sure to add an blank new line by pressing enter if you are using a text editor. Otherwise the game will not recognize your new tech team.

B) A League tech team (skillset up to the informant:D).

I'll have the 'Kaisermuffin Institute for Technical Excellence' (KITE is acceptable if thats too long) And I'll have tech efficiency, electronics, artillery, mechanics and training. Skill level 7. :D use the picture below :p (thats the first pic ANYONE on these forums has ever had of me. Lucky you, eh?)

331;KITE;{below};7;1930;1970;electronics;mechanics;training;technical_efficiency;artillery;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

kmtt.png

I'll try to stop hogging the limelight - but I'll also tell you for free, most of your answers on the HoI2 Wiki - of course if you're too lazy to write your own revolters, we'll see :D

Last edited:
I'll try to stop hogging the limelight - but I'll also tell you for free, most of your answers on the HoI2 Wiki - of course if you're too lazy to write your own revolters, we'll see :D

Don't worry about it - If I had thought of the HOI2 wiki . . . <Thumps self on head. Twice.> :eek:o I even went there to see how to get Vice Admiral Von Muffin installed in his post. Dummy! Why did I not think to look there?

Seriously - I don't consider this my AAR, but our AAR, as in the community's. That's the reason for all the award contests ;). I want the community involved. You'll even get to help shape my strategies and custom events later on.

- Keep up the support!

subscribed. i wont be much help in modding, but i love strategies. but are you insane at scrapping the navy? really? even if its just so you can see someone sink it in huge titanic battles, you have to keep it!

subscribed. i wont be much help in modding, but i love strategies.but are you insane at scrapping the navy? really? even if its just so you can see someone sink it in huge titanic battles, you have to keep it!

Welcome to the Game! I hope you enjoy it.

I have played a lot of HOI2 before stumbling into the forums, including about a dozen USA games. almost every time I was playing to win I have scrapped all of my fleet except carriers. I only got rid of the older UK carriers this time because I thought I would need long-range ships to go after the US. I also only found out this game that I can attach attachments to existing ships. If I hadn't the Hood would have been melted down too. Besides, I needed the manpower for my more advanced naval forces. ;)
So yes, there is a reason for my actions beyond randomness :D

That would have to be a TITANIC battle, though . . . one worth seeing, like the Florida Keys where Cunningham . . . I shouldn't talk about that yet. The pain is too real.

you havent known titanic battle yet until you see a game im playing where i gave a huge ic boost to everyone. so i have a 200 div BEF in belgium that just evacuated from denmark to gain some exp. the naval battle for the north sea is epic though. i didnt use my carriers, instead i used battleships because the ai used air deathstacks. they put all their 13 naval bombers in a stack and bombed the shit out of my navy. it took months and i lost 13 battleships including some modern ones, but i finally destroyed their air force and their 5 battleships. but they used subs as screens so it was near impossible to hit their battleships, while they went straight for mine. EPIC

you havent known titanic battle yet until you see a game im playing where i gave a huge ic boost to everyone. so i have a 200 div BEF in belgium that just evacuated from denmark to gain some exp. the naval battle for the north sea is epic though. i didnt use my carriers, instead i used battleships because the ai used air deathstacks. they put all their 13 naval bombers in a stack and bombed the shit out of my navy. it took months and i lost 13 battleships including some modern ones, but i finally destroyed their air force and their 5 battleships. but they used subs as screens so it was near impossible to hit their battleships, while they went straight for mine. EPIC

E-P-I-C, without a doubt. :eek:

Got a treat for you:

Admiral Pound VS the USN, September 25th, 1942. Hood go boom:(