• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Generally feels to be moving in the right direction. Way more looks like something worth playing. Nonetheless also looks fairly rough (March is supposed to be start of early access ... personally I don't mind some minor cloth detail clipping and such, but things like with the car, puddles-through-the-floor, super-fast promotions, etc., that's more annoying), and, dunno, to me it just seems to lack those last few percent that makes me go "oh wow, this I must play". It's sorta "okay, I get a very moddable Sims 2/3" vibe, but ... I already played Sims 2/3. The playtests shown so far haven't really looked like there's some major advances being made, they don't feel particular next-step or super-lively-and-dynamic or anything. Instead you sorta get the usual "Sims-Jank" (like NPCs leaving a mess everywhere). It hasn't yet galvanized into something that goes beyond so to speak.

Eh. I guess I'm more the "wait and see" type then getting on a hype train too early ^^;

• 2Like
Reactions:
Generally feels to be moving in the right direction. Way more looks like something worth playing. Nonetheless also looks fairly rough (March is supposed to be start of early access ... personally I don't mind some minor cloth detail clipping and such, but things like with the car, puddles-through-the-floor, super-fast promotions, etc., that's more annoying), and, dunno, to me it just seems to lack those last few percent that makes me go "oh wow, this I must play". It's sorta "okay, I get a very moddable Sims 2/3" vibe, but ... I already played Sims 2/3. The playtests shown so far haven't really looked like there's some major advances being made, they don't feel particular next-step or super-lively-and-dynamic or anything. Instead you sorta get the usual "Sims-Jank" (like NPCs leaving a mess everywhere). It hasn't yet galvanized into something that goes beyond so to speak.

Eh. I guess I'm more the "wait and see" type then getting on a hype train too early ^^;
It’s early days yet, so I can understand the roughness, especially of the graphics. The gameplay itself doesn’t look particularly captivating to me at this stage, but I do feel a desire to play with the building tools. I plan to get it on the first day of early access. I have no idea how long it’ll be before it’s ready for full release, but I wouldn’t be shocked if it took a couple more years of development—if they can afford it, that is.

I really like how moddable it is. It’s worth it to me for that alone.

Man, those camera runs and everything just popping everywhere. It's on a genuinely hilarious level at this stage ^^;

Some interesting information.

Playstyles he considers LBY to be for are "builder" (so all the building tools etc.), "stylist" (all about the character models and so on which they do want to continue to improve (direly necessarily, honestly)), what he calls "achiever" style gameplay (career stuff and so on he seems to regard that; I suppose focusing on game mechanics), sorta "cozy" players (I guess that's the sorta play-with-your-virtual-dollhouse-vibe) AND

... and this I find genuinely huge! ...

... players who want the chance of more gritty consequences. So they are ditching their "absolutely no violence" policy. Holy cow oO
They are "excluding" kids it seems, fair enough, but yeah. Very interesting that they reconsidered this.

Another thing they changed their mind on is "supernatural" and "lore" in the game by default. This tbh I'm not a fan of, but many people wanted it, so ... I mean, great they are listening.

Very open about there being too many bugs right now.

And okay you can do some camera stuff but eh. ^^

I honestly think this was one of their best if not the best videos yet. Just generally most devs aren't half as transparent about what they are up to as this one is. Great stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Man, those camera runs and everything just popping everywhere. It's on a genuinely hilarious level at this stage ^^;

Some interesting information.

Playstyles he considers LBY to be for are "builder" (so all the building tools etc.), "stylist" (all about the character models and so on which they do want to continue to improve (direly necessarily, honestly)), what he calls "achiever" style gameplay (career stuff and so on he seems to regard that; I suppose focusing on game mechanics), sorta "cozy" players (I guess that's the sorta play-with-your-virtual-dollhouse-vibe) AND

... and this I find genuinely huge! ...

... players who want the chance of more gritty consequences. So they are ditching their "absolutely no violence" policy. Holy cow oO
They are "excluding" kids it seems, fair enough, but yeah. Very interesting that they reconsidered this.

Another thing they changed their mind on is "supernatural" and "lore" in the game by default. This tbh I'm not a fan of, but many people wanted it, so ... I mean, great they are listening.

Very open about there being too many bugs right now.

And okay you can do some camera stuff but eh. ^^

I honestly think this was one of their best if not the best videos yet. Just generally most devs aren't half as transparent about what they are up to as this one is. Great stuff.
Thank you for posting the link! Was busy elsewhere. Looking forward to watching that when I can do so without disturbing anyone where I am. <3

As anticipated, a delay in early release:

They are refunding pre-orders. They apparently aren’t planning to do pre-orders a 3rd time; we can still wishlist the game.
Q: Also, sorry for suggesting this again but will you please consider adding a feature where we can just upload a picture to the character creator and have it automatically create the face for us? I am terrible at making Sims.
A: Noting your suggestion, though we might not be able to do exactly that, we understand some folks just want great-looking characters out the gate and are brainstorming solutions for you .
They also mentioned that they expect early access to last long enough for players’ input to affect the release version:
We definitely plan on remaining in Early Access for enough time for you all to have a significant impact on the final version of the game, so we can't wait for you all to play!

Here’s the official blog post:

I’m not quoting much from the official blog, but thought these would be particularly helpful:
First off, a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to pre-order Life by You. For the existing pre-order content, including the Life Begins Pack and the Nightlife Vibes Pack, we plan to make these packs available to everyone at our Early Access launch. We appreciate everyone’s patience and support, and plan on this pack being available to anyone who joins us on the Early Access journey.

For those who pre-ordered through Epic, please be on the lookout for an email from Epic. We’ve worked with our partners to make sure that your support does not go unnoticed, and appreciate your patience!
We still plan on opening our Early Access Discord, however due to pivoting away from pre-orders, we’ve changed the eligibility. We will initially open up our Early Access Discord to anyone who signs up for our email list. You can sign up for the mailing list here.

Once the game enters Early Access, we will open up the Discord to members of the community who have purchased the game through Steam or Epic.

We apologize for the shift in our plans here, but we hope that this allows more members of our community to participate in the Discord.
edited to add in more quotes. :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Assuming they actually fix/improve the things they want to this was the right choice. Players have pretty high expectations of early access; nobody sees a sorta post-alpha state as acceptable (even if devs clearly communicate it being that ^^). Better not to start with a release that's a mess.

Of course given that there's been delays before no guarantees they'll actually manage to do what they want to do this time around, always the worry ;)

Reactions:
Assuming they actually fix/improve the things they want to this was the right choice. Players have pretty high expectations of early access; nobody sees a sorta post-alpha state as acceptable (even if devs clearly communicate it being that ^^). Better not to start with a release that's a mess.

Of course given that there's been delays before no guarantees they'll actually manage to do what they want to do this time around, always the worry ;)
My spouse was a game developer (not at PDX), and they always tell me that the graphics don’t get polished until the end, because the other changes being made to the game affect the graphics. The graphics are built in layers; at the start, they’re very basic. The team is working on the art all along, but they’re mostly focused on functional graphics as they build the game. Once the game is working well, is reasonably stable, then they start making the graphics pretty.

I don’t know why the LBY team hasn’t explained this, given that most of the people I’ve seen commenting are plainly unaware of this, and are disturbed by the unfinished state of the artwork. It’s not polished yet because it was/is too early for polishing—but we can watch them as they buff it up! (Sounds fun!)

I suspect the devs are so immersed in development that it doesn’t occur to them to explain, because they’ve forgotten that this isn’t universally known. If I were on YouTube, discord, or any of the platforms they actually visit, I’d suggest they explain all this (and then remind folks periodically). It would help with player expectations that are based on finished rather than developing games.

I like that attention to detailed feedback, like that the "bouncy package" is perhaps a tad too cartoonish for the style they are going for and it might be changed down the line. Not only shows that a drive to actually produce the best game possible down to the smallest details but also that attention to player feedback is being paid and reacted on, even if it's just some small detail that never in a million years will affect the bottom line the game makes.

So unlike certain other games where devs might talk all day long about taking the fans seriously but then proceeding to ignore everything they say.

Also

denyallow.png

Not sure I've seen this before? I wonder whether homes are now finally private in the sense that you can't just walk in anymore but need to have actual permission ... ?

• 2Like
Reactions:
No Q&A to report, just LBY team’s acknowledgement of various suggestions (which is usual).
I spy a decent number of hairstyle presets in there already, which is good to see. Hairstyle variety is a huge thing for me in a life sim, and while I (of course) would like to see more, I like that there's that many this early on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
That just looks like a really tedious, really half-baked mechanic. So if you got a dozen plants* you go around each day watering a dozen plants? Wow, the sheer fun. And there's nothing to it except some "late game" automation which is gated for no sensible reason; as if somebody with the money couldn't just buy a sprinkler system.

Visually it also really does not look appealing. That's not a garden, just some assets plopped down in the lawn.

Not a fun overall. Gardening yes, these "mechanics"? Naw.

*gardening plants, all other plants are immortal and magically require zero care

Reactions:
So the idea was trying to show off a chaotic household, but then it really just shows that other characters have zero interest in what other relationships you have, or react in any way to your actions. There's also still no sense of privacy, the brief moment at work shows furniture there still being used exactly as if it were at home, the NPCs remain barely functional ... terrible framerate on top ... :/

react in any way to your actions
They have a ways to go yet. The partner reacted to the ‘antagonize’ interactions at the end, at least; could be the view was scrolled too far out to see any small-scale reactions in the bathroom scene. Possibly characters in bathtubs haven’t been programmed to react to anything.

There was feedback on the need for more reactions, and LBY said they’re working on it.

The endless laundry bothers me; constant cleaning isn’t fun. That too should be fixable, I hope.

Sure, so far they've shown themselves to be open to improvement and trying to do their best. So it's not like I don't have any hope it'll improve. I also do believe they genuinely do want to get the various details right. I'm just not entirely convinced they can get them right. The technical issues for example have plagued them for a very long time now (and this isn't the first time they delayed). I'm sure they don't want them to be there either. But at some point they'll have to release, development costs money after all ^^; We'll see.