• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Star_Reshiram

Recruit
15 Badges
Oct 3, 2021
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
Initially the issue was that new mods being downloaded off Steam were not appearing in the launcher. To remedy this I followed a guide that had me remove and unsubscribe from all mod files, delete launcher-v2.sqlite, and clean reinstall Stellaris. This fixed that issue, but ever since I did the game can't even be launched from the Paradox Launcher. I keep hitting "PLAY" but then immediately get prompted by the forsaken red triangle of "Launching the game failed."

I updated drivers and such (DirectX, x84, x64), allowed it through my virus and ransomware protection, and I even once again cleaned everything and reinstalled Stellaris again and ran it without then with mod subscriptions but to no avail. The only thing that works is directly from the executable but it doesn't apply mods from Steam.

Reading from a similar issue on here I'll attach some maybe helpful files:

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    86,7 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    313 bytes · Views: 0
  • settings.txt
    1,6 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    81,1 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    5,5 KB · Views: 0
You have less than 4gb and your video system can take half of that:
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3928MB RAM

Display Memory: 2091 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 1963 MB
You really can't contemplate using any mods, I'm sorry!

If you unload every other app you can before starting the game is it any better?

If not Please do a full **clean** re-install:

- move any valued save games elsewhere, and user_empire_designs.txt from /Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/ if you have made any custom empires or races.
- "uninstall" in Steam-Stellaris
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/Stellaris AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add stellaris.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular you need to make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam Stellaris or Documents Stellaris locations, before installing again.

Sorry about what I'm running it on, somehow it's all worked just fine the past two years.

The steps above ultimately failed, and through some vigorous searching I found an article that solved the problem by deleting some launcher files in AppData.

The forum won't let me post the link but it's the article on here titled "My launcher doesn't work / my game won't start!" by Christian Arvidsson.

Last edited: