• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

l7ke

Recruit
25 Badges
Nov 2, 2019
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
Whenever I try to launch Stellaris or EU4 from steam, I get a bootstrapper error message saying "Couldn't start launcher".
I've tried reinstalling the games to no avail, and I can't uninstall the paradox launcher itself through programs and features (Windows 7). Both games worked fine before the launcher updates.

Please try this:

- exit the Steam app completely

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the games from the PLAY button in Steam

Is that any better?

- Attach ALL files Found here %LocalAppData%\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2
- Attach ALL files Found here %AppData%\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2

- Attach ALL files Found here %LocalAppData%\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2
- Attach ALL files Found here %AppData%\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2

I've attached the files for %LocalAppData%\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2, but in %AppData%\Paradox Interactive, there is no launcher-v2 folder, just one called 'launcher'

Attachments

• launcher-bootstrapper.log
    44,3 KB · Views: 140
  • launcher-dowser.log
    6,4 KB · Views: 118
2019-10-12 14:12:54 [v:2019.10.1] [main] [CRITICAL] Failed to install Paradox Launcher:
exit status 1603
Running steam.exe as the Windows Admin user should get past that error. Are you sure you did that successfully?

Then here's a more elaborat eprocess that a user came up with, which helped them:

1. Uninstall the game. Delete the Paradox folder in My Documents.
2. Delete all files and folders that reference the Paradox launcher in AppData and in SteamApps
3. Restart
4. Start Steam by right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator, or whatever your version is and then install the game
5. Verify integrity of game files
6. In steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV doubleclick on the launcher-installer-windows program and choose "Remove"
7. in the Steam Library, right-click on the game and Open it
8. The Launcher installation will come up, and when it allows you to choose the pathing, set it to an empty folder, like "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\new\" the \new\ being an empty folder created for this purpose
9. The new Launcher will come up, and in the upper left corner alert you that there is an update to the Launcher and you need to close and the rerun the game. Do so.

Running steam.exe as the Windows Admin user should get past that error. Are you sure you did that successfully?

Then here's a more elaborat eprocess that a user came up with, which helped them:

1. Uninstall the game. Delete the Paradox folder in My Documents.
2. Delete all files and folders that reference the Paradox launcher in AppData and in SteamApps
3. Restart
4. Start Steam by right-clicking and choosing Run as Administrator, or whatever your version is and then install the game
5. Verify integrity of game files
6. In steamapps\common\Europa Universalis IV doubleclick on the launcher-installer-windows program and choose "Remove"
7. in the Steam Library, right-click on the game and Open it
8. The Launcher installation will come up, and when it allows you to choose the pathing, set it to an empty folder, like "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\new\" the \new\ being an empty folder created for this purpose
9. The new Launcher will come up, and in the upper left corner alert you that there is an update to the Launcher and you need to close and the rerun the game. Do so.

I managed to get up to step 6. When I click Remove, it works for a few seconds then I get a window saying 'Paradox Launcher v2 Setup Wizard ended prematurely'.

Then is it listed in the Windows Control Panel "Remove a program" utility? If so uninstall it there.

Then is it listed in the Windows Control Panel "Remove a program" utility? If so uninstall it there.
The paradox launcher is listed there, but for whatever reason when I click uninstall it doesn't actually uninstall. A window pops up saying 'Preparing to remove', but disappears after a while, and the launcher isn't uninstalled.

Erm, really? We're getting into some weird territory here.

Can you uninstall other apps from there okay?

I think I have the same problem ... but it is not limited to Steam.

I have Planetfall on GOG and I get the same Bootstrapper error there as when I try to run Stellaris on Steam.

Running from the folder works, so at the moment I've made temporary shortcuts to the game .exe files.

Although when I ran Planetfall in debug mode I saw quite a bit of red and yellow. But I forgot to save it before I closed the game and cannot remember exactly what they were linked to.

I got it to work but uninstalling all stellaris folders and paradox folders, restarting PC, searching up paradox installer on google, opening it, signing in, then it will say Stellaris you own this game, right click on play game, open in new tab, this will force install of paradox launcher, then reinstall stellaris and you should be golden

I had same problem, I just uninstall the Launcher v2 in uninstal program, and I start the game via steam. It reinstall the launcher and now it work correctly, not need 9 step.

We now have reports of this on AVG, Avast and possibly Kaspersky.

You need to make sure all these apps are in its exceptions lists:

dowser.exe (in the Steam CK3 folder)
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.16/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

• 1Like
Reactions:

C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2020.16/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

I use Huorong and the same problem happens

I set it and the problem still happens
about this file:
C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Programs\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2--openbeta--2020.16-rc.3\resources\app.asar.unpacked\dist\main\greenworks-win64.node

launcher-v2--openbeta--2020.16-rc.3
The beta is now 2020.17-something ... not sure what's going on in your case. Please try this:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

IF that doesn't help, in this folder are some .log files:
C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Please attach them here.

• 3Like
Reactions: