• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GloomyBot3

Recruit
3 Badges
May 27, 2020
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
I was playing the game normally, until the launcher said launching the game failed. I tried deleting the launcher and all those stuff, but it didnt work. I searched the forum, and found that a thread, where i have to put a batch file, and that it should bypass the launcher. So i did that. But when i press the play button in steam, a command prompt window appears for a millisecond, and the button changes to play again, so the game doesnt starts. So please help maybe. I will give the log files found in C:\Users\pc\AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive\launcher-v2.
Thank you.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    2,5 KB · Views: 0
  • launcher-bootstrapper.log
    13,1 KB · Views: 0
  • cpatch.log
    415,3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Please delete that batch file, and remove it from the Steam launch options.

Then Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package for Windows: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2020.6.2-win-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then:

- exit the Steam app entirely
- uninstall Paradox Launcher v2 from the Windows "Apps and features" utility, if still present.

Delete the following folders if still present:

- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Local/Paradox Interactive/
- C:/users/<UserName>/AppData/Roaming/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user

- run the game from the PLAY button in Steam

Good luck with that!

Well mate its all black now.
Capture4.PNG

Can I see new launcher logs please.

The launcher looks fine there. That black box, is that the launcher or the game?

I don't know then, this is an odd one. Let's go back to the batch file that lets you run th egame with no launcher.

You can bypass the launcher by following these instructions:

- Download the attached cities.txt file
- rename it to cities.bat
- Place the .bat file in your game's install folder (In the same place as your cities.exe)
- Right click the game in your Steam library
- Go to properties
- Select Set Launch Options
- Copy and Paste cities.bat %command% into the input box
- Select Ok
- Run the game

Attachments

• cities.txt
    26 bytes · Views: 0
Something is really wrong in this setup, I use both these techniques all day without having so much trouble!

Let's start everything from scratch:

- Remove the game from Steam (uninstall)
- exit the Steam app entirely
- Manually delete all these files and folders, if still there:

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\
...\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710\
...\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines
(first move the /saves/ folder elsewhere to keep your save games)
(To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer)

- delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT steam.exe and the SteamApps folder
- run steam.exe as the Windows Admin user to rebuild all that
- go to Set Launch Options and delete everything in there
- Install the game again and see if it runs now.

I have the same problem as GloomyBot3 and followed all the instructions exactly, but Cities Skyline cannot be started in Steam and crashes, with and without Laucher.

Here the first Part auf error.log:

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.6.7f1_e80cc3114ac1]

Cities.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module Cities.exe at 0033:ed456307.

Error occurred at 2020-06-01_030214.
F:\Spiele\Steam\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities.exe, run by Klaus.
46% memory in use.
16255 MB physical memory [8632 MB free].
24447 MB paging file [13971 MB free].
134217728 MB user address space [134213240 MB free].
Read from location 0000000e caused an access violation.

It's the same mistake as before the whole uninstall aria.
We can't use the game now.
The launcher also makes more problems than it helps. The launcher reports hat it looks like I am offline even though it is connected to my Pardox profile.

What shoud that?

Fix it immediately so that we can use the game again.

Please stop experimenting, fix the bug and publish an update.

If it helps, my system data: Win10 x64 , 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB

You say you have the same problem, yet his is a launcher issue and you send in part of the error.log of the game, which is nothing to do with the launcher. How far exactly do you get, do you see the launcher okay and the issue comes starting the game from it? Or you never see the launcher?

Has it ever worked for you?

You say you have the same problem, yet his is a launcher issue and you send in part of the error.log of the game, which is nothing to do with the launcher. How far exactly do you get, do you see the launcher okay and the issue comes starting the game from it? Or you never see the launcher?

Has it ever worked for you?

You are right, the launcher is not the main problem for me, but has a problem in the recognition that I am online on Steam. When I click the Start Game button, the game starts and always ends with the error message.
So my main problem is that the game doesn't start at all.
Not with the launcher, nor with the launcher bypass.

Attachments

• crash.dmp
    98,1 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    24,9 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    15,7 KB · Views: 0
You are right, the launcher is not the main problem for me, but has a problem in the recognition that I am online on Steam. When I click the Start Game button, the game starts and always ends with the error message.
So my main problem is that the game doesn't start at all.
Not with the launcher, nor with the launcher bypass.

That looks like an issue with Citrix Workspace. See this:

• 1Like
Reactions:
First of all, thank you for the quick and competent support.
The game starts after uninstalling Citrix Workspace and also after the workaround solution, installation of Citrix Workspace via console.
What the hell....:mad:
I would never have thought of that.

Thx a lot, great work from you :)

(Sorry for the late reply)
Glad that swini's problem was fixed.
Well about me, after reinstalling it, I still see the black box, but I know the buttons are there, and my game is now working, for now. I don't know why is it still black? Maybe it hates my windows 7? I was anyways thinking of updating my PC to windows 10.

The launcher does work on Windows 7 in general, as long as it's patched up. But yes, if you are thinking of going to win10 anyway this would be a great time. I advise a clean wipe-and-install rather than an in-place upgrade, if they still offer that.