Late Middle Ages aesthetics (for immersion sake). A message to the devs!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Saman Wilson

First Lieutenant
72 Badges
May 14, 2011
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • War of the Vikings
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
CK3 is one hell of a game, I have enjoyed playing every minute of it until now. My issue with it (apart from all the bugs) is that there is a lack of Late Middle Ages aesthetics (arts & graphics) from the units and the soldiers we muster to the clothing, and especially the armor for the customization of our characters and knights. Metal processing advanced super quickly in early 14th century, and by very early 15th century (literally as early as 1400 onwards) they actually started covering the WHOLE body of a "knight/warrior" with full plate armor with large sheets of metal (The warriors were covered from head to toe.)
Where are the full plate armor of the Late Middle Ages Paradox? Where are the coat plates that were worn over chainmail suits? Also where are the elaborate helmet designs of the Late Middle Ages (all we have in the game are Nasal Helmets and other variants of it)? The game goes till 1453, such aesthetics is definitely a must. I want to feel immersed in the era, so when I reach the Late Middle Ages, I want to feel like I am in it. It would be pleasing if you provided us with such iconic full plate armor of the era, and It would work as an incentive for players that continue the game till the end.
Also adding in different surcoats and brigandines would be pretty awesome too.
My questions is, are there any plans to add such things in the future or no?

Edit: Just found this! This would be amazing till 1450. I would love to have more availability for customization, especially now that we can customize our courtiers (Knights).
It would be amazing if Vassals could also change their outfits-military outfits automatically as time progresses.
008ab3974a6241e857f8fab84874aaad.jpg

Last edited:
  • 15Like
Reactions:
Also I understand that for example levies wouldn't have been wearing late middle ages full plate armor and helmets. I am strictly talking about some men at arms, nobles and lords, our own characters and their knights. I also know that fixing bugs come first, not asking for them to work on it now.
Just saying this as a pre-emptive strike measure before people criticize my post.

• 4Like
Reactions:
As CK3 only kept two of the earlier start dates (867 and 1066) I imagine there was a greater focus on matching that aesthetic. But CK2 had plenty of flavor packs, some very specific (like say the Early Western Clothing Pack). Early on these packs were sold separately, but later in the development cycle of CK2 PDX started merging them into one single content pack that accompanied the release of an expansion (like say the Reaper's Due Content Pack), and finally they just merged almost everything with the main expansion and charged more for that (the best example being Holy Fury). The only things still kept separate were anachronistic music packs (Viking Metal, Full Plate Metal, and Orchestral House Lords).

So my expectation is that late meideval flavor will be added in a DLC that will also add a high or late medieval start date. Those weren't that popular in CK2, but I have a hunch the new cultural innovation system will make things different in the case of CK3. Most importantly I think many players would enjoy having faster access to Primogeniture.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As CK3 only kept two of the earlier start dates (867 and 1066) I imagine there was a greater focus on matching that aesthetic. But CK2 had plenty of flavor packs, some very specific (like say the Early Western Clothing Pack). Early on these packs were sold separately, but later in the development cycle of CK2 PDX started merging them into one single content pack that accompanied the release of an expansion (like say the Reaper's Due Content Pack), and finally they just merged almost everything with the main expansion and charged more for that (the best example being Holy Fury). The only things still kept separate were anachronistic music packs (Viking Metal, Full Plate Metal, and Orchestral House Lords).

So my expectation is that late meideval flavor will be added in a DLC that will also add a high or late medieval start date. Those weren't that popular in CK2, but I have a hunch the new cultural innovation system will make things different in the case of CK3. Most importantly I think many players would enjoy having faster access to Primogeniture.
I love the idea of Paradox adding more start dates. Firstly because I always love playing as different cool historical characters and dynasties; and second, every start dates has a different flavour in my opinion.
To your other point, I honestly think that CK2 also lacked in Late Middle Ages aesthetics, everything that I mentioned here was also not in CK2. I hope that Paradox brings Late Middle Ages flavour into this game, cuz atm it's lacking in that aspect. I mean the game goes till 1453 for god's sake, it's definitely a must.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Also has anyone else noticed that the current aesthetics for units is not working properly atm? I could be playing as a Viking or a Western Feudal Lord in 867 start but the army I raise would have the looks of a High Middle Ages army on the map. I don't know whats up with that.

Reactions:
CK3 is one hell of a game, I have enjoyed playing every minute of it until now. My issue with it (apart from all the bugs) is that there is a lack of Late Middle Ages aesthetics (arts & graphics) from the units and the soldiers we muster to the clothing, and especially the armor for the customization of our characters and knights. Where are the full plate armor of the Late Middle Ages Paradox? The game goes till 1453, such aesthetics is definitely a must.
My questions is, are there any plans to add such things in the future or no?
We already got a hre and abbasid flavour pack, so don't worry, dlc is coming

Full plate armor only shows up at the very end of the Middle Ages. The first examples of full plate armor suits date from the early 15th century (around 1420). The game ends in 1453. We have to wonder, is it worth it for Paradox to pour time and effort into something that players will only see for a few years when they get to the very end of the game (which most players probably never will), or would it be better for Paradox to pour that time and effort into something that will be seen a lot more (like proper surcoats)?

Last edited:
Reactions:
The Barbershop already has Low and High Noble clothing. I would love to see the Option for Royal, and possibly even Imperial clothing. Or ermine mantles in the Cloaks section...

• 1Like
Reactions:
Full plate armor only shows up at the very end of the Middle Ages. The first examples of full plate armor suits date from the early 15th century (around 1420). The game ends in 1453. We have to wonder, is it worth it for Paradox to pour time and effort into something that players will only see for a few years when they get to the very end of the game (which most players probably never will), or would it be better for Paradox to pour that time and effort into something that will be seen a lot more (like proper surcoats)?
You have an innovation for plate armour, even if it looks quilted, that could change the gfx

You’re wrong my friend. Plate armor started being regularly used (by men who could afford it ofc) by start of the Hundred Years War, and that is late 14th Century. You could see such full plate armor and also single plate armor in the paintings of the era. Also, there are mentions of such armor in written primary sources and most famously in primary sources that are available (the actual plate armors themselves as evidence) in museums, castles, keeps, and chateaus all over England and France.

But anyways I’m all for every sort of aesthetics in the game and I hope they add even more flavor to this amazing game. Also it won't take much effort nor time for Paradox to add these things in. I want to feel immersed in the era, so when I reach the Late Middle Ages, I want to feel like I am in it.

• 3Like
Reactions:
You’re gonna have to pay $6.99 for those.

• 1Like
Reactions:
CK2's later starts suffered from the fact that there were a bajillion choices and the devs never seemed to pay much attention to them. I think one or two dates given similar amounts of care and attention as the 867 and 1066 starts would be a lot more popular. Especially if the dates were well-chosen. Like, do a Third Crusade era start with some light flavour events for Saladin and Richard the Lionheart. Surely that's what the phrase "crusader kings" brings to mind for most people. Also gives you a nice "you have a few decades prepare yourself for the Mongol invasion, good luck" setup for the eastern part of the map, unlike CK2's 1220 start where you were basically screwed.

(And for the love of all that is good, don't do a start date less than 200 years from the end date. I have no idea why they decided to keep 1337 as a default option over 1220 when Iron Century came out.)

Reactions:
You’re wrong my friend. Plate armor started being regularly used (by men who could afford it ofc) by start of the Hundred Years War, and that is late 14th Century. You could see such full plate armor and also single plate armor in the paintings of the era. Also, there are mentions of such armor in written primary sources and most famously in primary sources that are available (the actual plate armors themselves as evidence) in museums, castles, keeps, and chateaus all over England and France.

But anyways I’m all for every sort of aesthetics in the game and I hope they add even more flavor to this amazing game. Also it won't take much effort nor time for Paradox to add these things in. I want to feel immersed in the era, so when I reach the Late Middle Ages, I want to feel like I am in it.
"plate armor" and "full plate armor" is not the same thing. Plate armor refers to any armor made out of a single plate of metal and has been around since the Bronze Age. "Full plate armor" then means a style of armor whereby the wearer is covered head to toe with such plate armor.

During the late European Middle Ages plate armor became increasingly common. It starts showing up in the early 14th century, (roughly between 1325 and 1340), and slowly begins to replace mail as the primary form of armor. However, at first plate armor is mainly used to supplement mail or other forms of armor (such as brigandine), leading to the development of what modern historians have termed "transitional armor", which employs different materials and armor styles as part of a single suit of armor. These transitional armors only start to give way to the iconic suits of full plate armor between 1420 and 1440 when suits of full plate armor were well-developed and the practice of wearing surcoats is discarded in favor of wearing "white metal". This full plate white metal armor later became an iconic symbol of the medieval knight as a result of the beautiful and elaborate jousting armors of the late 15th and the 16th centuries, but that is beyond the game's timeframe which ends in 1453.

If you don't believe me, actually look up some 14th century illustrations. No full plate armors in there, only transitional suits of armor covered by a surcoat, as was the fashion of the time. Or maybe read up something on the development of armor in Medieval Europe.

Reactions:
"plate armor" and "full plate armor" is not the same thing. Plate armor refers to any armor made out of a single plate of metal and has been around since the Bronze Age. "Full plate armor" then means a style of armor whereby the wearer is covered head to toe with such plate armor.

During the late European Middle Ages plate armor became increasingly common. It starts showing up in the early 14th century, (roughly between 1325 and 1340), and slowly begins to replace mail as the primary form of armor. However, at first plate armor is mainly used to supplement mail or other forms of armor (such as brigandine), leading to the development of what modern historians have termed "transitional armor", which employs different materials and armor styles as part of a single suit of armor. These transitional armors only start to give way to the iconic suits of full plate armor between 1420 and 1440 when suits of full plate armor were well-developed and the practice of wearing surcoats is discarded in favor of wearing "white metal". This full plate white metal armor later became an iconic symbol of the medieval knight as a result of the beautiful and elaborate jousting armors of the late 15th and the 16th centuries, but that is beyond the game's timeframe which ends in 1453.

If you don't believe me, actually look up some 14th century illustrations. No full plate armors in there, only transitional suits of armor covered by a surcoat, as was the fashion of the time. Or maybe read up something on the development of armor in Medieval Europe.
I meant plate armor of the Late Middle Ages and coat plates. Including the elaborate helmet designs (that covered the face as well when shut) that were quite different from the Nasal Helmet of early and high middle ages. Maybe I chose the wrong words when describing armor in the 14th century. But anyways I believe we are on the same page here. Here let me make it easier for you to understand, I think they should definitely add Coat of Plates that were worn over chainmail suits plus the helmets that I mentioned; and for the 1400s, they should add the iconic Full Plate Armor of the era. All the things mentioned here would be great aesthetics for the late game as so many have agreed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: