Late Medieval Eastern Roman clothing

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Must every single thread on the Byzantines devolve into a name discussion?

Anyway: By the Emperor's Hand. Love that book. Especially the emphasis on court regalia in addition to military uniforms. So many books with clothing reconstructions for antiquity and the middle ages focus exclusively on soldiers. This book is great at identifying trends, continuities, and different influences on Byzantine regalia from late antiquity up to the end of the middle ages.

I particular enjoy the focus on the Eparch of Constantinople -- a hugely important court dignitary that basically never shows up. The eparch's powers and role were designed to parallel the old Senatorial Urban Prefect of Rome, and it was one of the few court dignitaries that basically survived all the way up to the 4th Crusade with its powers intact. In recognition of this old senatorial role, the eparch (and the zoste patrikia) was the only person other than the emperor or empress entitled to wear a loros. Pretty neat.

Last edited:
  • 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Must every single thread on the Byzantines devolve into a name discussion?

Anyway: By the Emperor's Hand. Love that book. Especially the emphasis on court regalia in addition to military uniforms. So many books with clothing reconstructions for antiquity and the middle ages focus exclusively on soldiers. This book is great at identifying trends, continuities, and different influences on Byzantine regalia from late antiquity up to the end of the middle ages.

I particular enjoy the focus on the Eparch of Constantinople -- a hugely important court dignitary that basically never shows up. The eparch's powers and role were designed to parallel the old Senatorial Urban Prefect of Rome, and it was one of the few court dignitaries that basically survived all the way up to the 4th Crusade with its powers intact. In recognition of this old senatorial role, the eparch (and the zoste patrikia) was the only person other than the emperor or empress entitled to wear a loros. Pretty neat.
The Eparch was similar to the Logothes?

I like some of the pictures and the idea is cool, like if it was a free patch or in the base game it'd be worth it, but for me personally I can't justify buying a DLC for zero game changes it just doesn't make sense to me

Just in respect of Wickham, the statement above is definitively untrue. He uses Byzantine for ease of use for the reader, but is very much part of the historiographical movement that emphasizes continuity between Byzantium and the Roman Empire of late antiquity. He used Rhomaioi only once in his monograph on medieval Europe, and only in passing to mention it was the Greek word for Roman.

EDIT: Reading Shepherd's introduction to the Cambridge History now, and he also does not use Rhomaioi. I also don't believe Frankopan does, although I'll have to check my copy tomorrow. Frankly I think you just made a lot of that waffle up.
Exactly, thanks for the post at least someone understands

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just in respect of Wickham, the statement above is definitively untrue. He uses Byzantine for ease of use for the reader, but is very much part of the historiographical movement that emphasizes continuity between Byzantium and the Roman Empire of late antiquity.

That's fascinating. I'd be really interested in his works, if that's the case. Do you have any recommendations?

Old and dead Thread but Still relevant cause the game came out and it didn’t happen rip. Also thanks OP I still use your pics for countless debates which is why I came back to the thread lol.

Honestly imo(and not trying to put down the talent of Paradox’s artists/designers) the Ingame Byzantine clothing looks real bad, like near worst in the game.

•The Colors are dull and drab, •The armor is all the same kinda weird interpretation of the late 950-1000s plate Pauldron style Klivanion Lamellar which doesn’t fit 867 and leaves out the many various armor styles. • The Crown is a couple hundred years off and Is gigantic compared to the head . •Where’s my Roman Helmet Crests and Muscle Cuirass the Macedonians brought back dad?

But Worst of all, the most common color pattern among Byzantine characters is a can of Campbell Raviolios.

So I do really hope we get a Byzantine clothing pack, I don’t care if it’s just to milk us or makes us shills I just wanna look Fabulous like the mosaics.

1643181400264.jpeg

1643181466623.jpeg

(And the Emperor’s Signature Red Boots)

1643181662480.jpeg

( Don’t ask about the Socks or I’ll show you a Roman painting of Praetorians in Socks )

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Old and dead Thread but Still relevant cause the game came out and it didn’t happen rip. Also thanks OP I still use your pics for countless debates which is why I came back to the thread lol.

Honestly imo(and not trying to put down the talent of Paradox’s artists/designers) the Ingame Byzantine clothing looks real bad, like near worst in the game.

•The Colors are dull and drab, •The armor is all the same kinda weird interpretation of the late 950-1000s plate Pauldron style Klivanion Lamellar which doesn’t fit 867 and leaves out the many various armor styles. • The Crown is a couple hundred years off and Is gigantic compared to the head . •Where’s my Roman Helmet Crests and Muscle Cuirass the Macedonians brought back dad?

But Worst of all, the most common color pattern among Byzantine characters is a can of Campbell Raviolios.

So I do really hope we get a Byzantine clothing pack, I don’t care if it’s just to milk us or makes us shills I just wanna look Fabulous like the mosaics.

View attachment 798638

View attachment 798639
(And the Emperor’s Signature Red Boots)

View attachment 798640
( Don’t ask about the Socks or I’ll show you a Roman painting of Praetorians in Socks )
Yeah you right for now I rely on modders which always do a better job than Paradox. I currently use the “ethnicities and portraits expanded” mod which gives the Eastern Romans the correct clothing and crown or “stemma.” I also use the “Community flavor pack” mod.

Yeah you right for now I rely on modders which always do a better job than Paradox. I currently use the “ethnicities and portraits expanded” mod which gives the Eastern Romans the correct clothing and crown or “stemma.” I also use the “Community flavor pack” mod.
Yeah both are good mods. Althou Flavor pack making the Monomachos “Crown” an actual crown gives me ocd lol with all the evidence that it was an armband.

Yeah both are good mods. Althou Flavor pack making the Monomachos “Crown” an actual crown gives me ocd lol with all the evidence that it was an armband.
Really an armband? Hmm and here is two screenshots from the mod I was talking about.

Attachments

• 88B4D84E-0A00-498A-A7C9-1F3B5A9F7F92.png
    88B4D84E-0A00-498A-A7C9-1F3B5A9F7F92.png
    6,1 MB · Views: 0
  • 52EA6021-BB88-4B91-9521-5121EDFCE6E6.png
    52EA6021-BB88-4B91-9521-5121EDFCE6E6.png
    2,4 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Really an armband? Hmm and here is two screenshots from the mod I was talking about.
“Yeah Baby! That’s what I’ve been waiting for, that’s whats it’s all about!” ( Althou the Double headed Eagles are an anachronism for our start dates. )

Yeah something identical is described being presented to the Emperor during a Triumph in De Ceremonies. Infact this picture you shared before from the book is exactly that, Constantine wearing the Monomachos crown over his arm in a Triumph.
672940BA-FF85-4B7C-B653-CDB1EBA28F1D.jpeg

“Yeah Baby! That’s what I’ve been waiting for, that’s whats it’s all about!” ( Althou the Double headed Eagles are an anachronism for our start dates. )

Yeah something identical is described being presented to the Emperor during a Triumph in De Ceremonies. Infact this picture you shared before from the book is exactly that, Constantine wearing the Monomachos crown over his arm in a Triumph. View attachment 822040

oh yeah I didn’t really notice it was on the arm lol ok