Late game army drilling, no way to avoid attrition?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kryndude

Lt. General
60 Badges
Mar 3, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
Anyone noticed that it's impossible to drill all your troops without suffering heavy attrition? Limited army leader slot and higher troop count force you to massively go over the supply limit if you want to color your units in gold frames.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I find myself swimming in points by late game, so i happily go over the leader limit.
What i find more bothersome is that i play with static armies, and always end up losing drill to siege attrition.
Oh well...

I find myself swimming in points by late game, so i happily go over the leader limit.
What i find more bothersome is that i play with static armies, and always end up losing drill to siege attrition.
Oh well...

Maybe I'm playing sub-optimally, but it just feels like a waste to spend mana on generals that can teleport anyways, no matter how much mil I'm making.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Maybe I'm playing sub-optimally
Consider that generals (can) affect sieges, and can't teleport to or from a province you don't control.

Maybe I'm playing sub-optimally, but it just feels like a waste to spend mana on generals that can teleport anyways, no matter how much mil I'm making.
By late game i find the minimum number of generals just doesn't cut it anyway, especially when you end up at war against multiple enemies. And by that point i've lost the will to micromanage, so swapping every 2 in-game days for each battle just becomes a bother. Meanwhile there's the mentioned issue of sieges: even just a +1 is worth its weight in mil.

I prefer to use my mil throughout the game on multiple generals, always drilling, always re-recruited on death, always aiming for 100% professionalism.

Reactions:
By late game i find the minimum number of generals just doesn't cut it anyway, especially when you end up at war against multiple enemies. And by that point i've lost the will to micromanage, so swapping every 2 in-game days for each battle just becomes a bother. Meanwhile there's the mentioned issue of sieges: even just a +1 is worth its weight in mil.

I prefer to use my mil throughout the game on multiple generals, always drilling, always re-recruited on death, always aiming for 100% professionalism.
On one hand, I agree. But on the other, maybe drilling armies shouldn't be such a micromanaging hassle. It's more in line with military command purview rather than something a ruler would personally oversee anyway. I'd take another decision toggle with a "+n% land maintenance / morale penalty / etc" over that, tbh.

Reactions:
Anyone noticed that it's impossible to drill all your troops without suffering heavy attrition? Limited army leader slot and higher troop count force you to massively go over the supply limit if you want to color your units in gold frames.

You can:

- Drill in high supply provinces;
-build supply depo;
- take quantity.

If you are altaking about having a general drill hundreds of regiments then forget about it. Supply wasn't changed with the introduction of Drilling so the best we can do is divide how many regiments we have into how many generals we can afford. And yes, there will come a time when you can afford to have 100% FL drilling without taking some sort of hit (be it to manpower or MIL).

Reactions:
If all you want is to get your troops to 100% drill, then it's relatively easy to rotate your generals between drilling armies. (Especially at 100% professionalism, they gain drill MUCH faster than they lose it.) Admittedly, I usually divide my army into crack troops (which get drilled to max) and chaff (which might get no drill at all, possibly because they're standing in CNs), and that helps to simplify things. (EDIT: A part of this is accepting that I will lose troops to sieges etc, and ensuring that sieges are done by subjects/chaff rather than elite troops.)

If you're trying to build professionalism via drill, I agree this would be hard in the lategame. But, surely you've already hit 100% before your army gets that big? In which case, it's reasonable to (re)build professionalism after slackening standards by mass-recruiting generals... so I don't see why drilling for late-game professionalism is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: