• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(78039)

Captain
Jun 10, 2007
Rommel_350.jpg

"The decision to reinforce North Africa was one of the worst of Hitler's blunders: admittedly, it kept the Mediterranean closed for six more months, with a negative impact on the Allied shipping situation, but it placed some of Germany's best troops in an indefensible position from which, like Stalingrad, there would be no escape."

- Historian William Murray

Year: 1943
Difficulty: Normal
Cheats: None
AI: Everything except Heeresgroupe Afrika
Goals: Try to stand as long as possible, possibly rout the British Army in Algeria. If failed, will try to make a reverse-Dunkirk to Italy.
Style: Historybook/Narrative (with Screenshots)

This will also be one of my first games, but I find it a really interesting topic, and hope that you guys will find it interesting too.

Starting soon, possibly tommorow when the hotfix comes.

North Africa is always an interesting theater, particularly Tunisia. I'll be following this!

Interesting sounding AAR! I knew with the advent of a powerful AI and ability to determine what aspects of a nation a player wished to pursue and control there'd be a wide range of AARs coming out. I'm wondering how much emphasis the AI will put toward providing you the resources you need to succeed. Will be watching this one!

This looks to be a really interesting possibility. Remember to report it in the LibrAARy Update thread for inclusion in the HoI3 LibrAARy.

This looks very interesting. May I ask how you will only control the afrikakorps? I know how to make the ai control production and stuff. But how will you do it for all the other military units Germany controls?

I'm guessing the Afrika Korps has its own theater assigned to it? Therefor AI control can have everything else (including production, etc) whilst the OP control is solely on this one theater.

TheHyphenated, Lord Valentine, Lordban, Myth, Friedrich2, stynlan, Jorath13: Thanks a lot, hopefully I'll be able to get up an update today!

DukeWilliam1630 : Basically, I will be AI'ing every other theatre except OB South, and under OB south I will be AI'ing every other army other than Heeresgroupe Afrika. Heeresgroupe Afrika and OB South will be under my control, but I will not be using OB South.

Hopefully, update today or tommorow, depending on how this new hotfix goes. :p

This looks very interesting. May I ask how you will only control the afrikakorps? I know how to make the ai control production and stuff. But how will you do it for all the other military units Germany controls?

You can put any theatre under AI control of a theatre commander (usually a field Marshall). For example, in the 1939 campaign as Grmany, the Western Front theatre can be put under control of FM Kesselring, so all other HQs in that theatre (Rommel, Manstein etc) are under his command. It is important in such a case to verify that the sub-HQs are effectively under the command of the theatre commander, otherwise they will need to be given orders by you.

If you want to give orders to any of the sub-commanders, then you must not put the theatre commander under AI control, or you must detach the sub-commander from the theatre commander (in which case they lose the bonus of the theatre commander). This would not be a problem in Afrika because of the small number of commanders.

For example in the 1939 CG as the Germans, I put the Western front under AI theatre commander Kesselring who already had all the other HQs under him, giving him total control of the theatre, and put his stance under defence so that he would react to any French incursions.

Then for Poland AG South and AG North are both under OKH, but none of them have commanders because there are no Field Marshalls available, so I promoted 3 and put them in charge of OKH, AG North and AG South. Here you have 4 possibilities for AI control: 1)You can put the whole shebang under OKH (this does not iclude the air forces unless you change them) and watch the AI fight for Poland, or 2) put both AG South and AG North under AI control with different orders (probably Blitkzing to Lotz and Warsaw and maybe Danzig) and watch or maybe control the Air forces,or 3) put some of the Corps HQs under AI control and control others yourself, or 4) put everything under OKH as in (1), and detach some HQs (either an AG or a Corps) so you can control it yourself. For example if you use option (1), the AI may not go after Danzig and you may have to detach a Corps to go after it.

The important point is that if you put a HQ under AI control, all its sub-HQs are under AI control too, unless you detach them and lose the superior HQ bonus. IMO this should be changed and one should be allowed to give specific orders to a sub-HQ under an AI superior HQ without losing the bonus.

So inpractice you may want to avoid putting a Theater HQ under AI control except when that theatre is not critical (such as the French border in 1939).

Henri

Yes but do you think that the AI-controlled army groups will do anything if you do not give them objectives?

From what I have seen so far, if you put them under defence they will do a good job of defending and reacting to enemy attacks, but will not do as much under attack orders if not given an objective. Since the AI can run whole countries, they should be able to define objectives of their own, but I am not sure whether or not that is the case.:confused:

I have noticed from one of the AARs that one can give multiple objectives to AI-controlled units, and I know that makes a big difference, since I gave only one objective each to AG North and AG South in the attack on Poland and it took 6 months for me to take Poland, and I had to break off an Army to take Danzig since the AI was ignoring it. So giving objectives CAN make a big difference.

Henri

Well at least in 1943 a defensive stance is ok for the Germans on all fronts I guess. If the player has to give objectives to other theaters it would not be a true Afrikakorps AAR anymore.

Sorry for such inactivity, guys. Something bad has come up and as everyone knows, Life > Hoi3. I'll be hoping to update today or tommorow. Sorry again.