• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Ukrainians offer decent resistance at their larger cities (read: Kharkov and Kiev especially) and as for benefits, both of the major cities I just mentioned provide me with large morale boosts and victory points. They're worth the casualties.

Ukranians should indeed offer decent resistance if controlled by human player :). I think next patch will find better solutions for ukraine nationalists(though it is not historical for them to be controlled by either red or white players) and Makhno anarchists. Interesting AAR , as played by 3 players,well done.

Sorry for the slowness of updates lately. It's been a quiet winter in the game and a busy one in the real world (whatever that is).

Also, as always, thank you for the comments and compliments!

Turns 16-18: Late January - Late February

After a vicious 3-day battle near Tzaritsyn..

tzfin1.jpg

tzfin2.jpg

tzfin3.jpg

tzfin4.jpg

Stalin has been forced to retreat out of the city! He headed north and we lost track of him.

tzsiege.jpg

Unfortunately, the city proper isn't under our control - still held by a few remaining die hards and Red Air Force personnel - but it shouldn't be long. Our good friends in Siberia have even sent over a brigade fresh from Astrakhan to help finish the place off (and defend against any Stalin-led counterattacks).

Mai-Mai arrived just in time to witness the Cossacks push Stalin away all by themselves, so as you can see, he has turned about and is now hurrying down the railroad towards the Ukraine. Let's check in over there!

ukrainefeb.jpg

It's a mess, though not an unfavorable one. Various independent White forces are advancing through the countryside, taking towns along the railroads and snatching up undefended areas when they can. Two more divisions are coming up from the Crimea to help complete our conquest of Eastern Ukraine and the Donbas region.

Most important will be taking Kharkov, a great railhub and the starting point of the next stage of our campaign. The Reds have already stolen it away from the Ukrainians and are presumably fortifying the place. When Mai-Mai arrives, he will link up with Drozdovsky and Shkuro and move on it.

westukr.jpg

In the western Ukraine, the French and Greek expeditionary troops advance.. very, very slowly.. through the winter snows.

All other fronts have been rather quiet. Miller and Rodzianko's Northerners and Northwesterners have been essentially frozen in place by the weather, although some brave elements of the BEF are moving to clear the railroad lines in Karelia.

---

So far, I'm pleased with the campaign. I'm a few months behind on my objectives but I kind of expected that, playing against a skilled human like Michael. Now I just need to hold Tzaritsyn - my eastern flank - and move into the Ukraine. Once at least the eastern Ukraine is firmly under my control, it'll be time to head north.. towards Moscow.

as with the last game, I think one of the real strengths of RoP is the importance it allocates to the actual rail net. In this case if you hold Kharkov and Tsaritsyn its so clear why you then have effective control over the E Ukraine, regardless of whatever small bits and pieces are rattling around ... so its looking as if Kharkov is going to be the decisive action of early 1919?

I always liked how it becomes "everyone on poor innocent Ukraine" at this point in RUS. But even though Ukraine is open for grabs, you cannot neglect the other fronts, esp. as Red, so really it is an arbitration to do.

Siberian Update 2

Well, it's late Feb and it's reasonably quiet my side of the lines. Except for all the bloody Greens. Here's the overview:

latefeboverview.jpg

So, yes. A nasty outbreak of Greens. I'll have to start dealing with them very soon. But the Reds are still coming at me in the Syzran region. They're working my guys in Syzran hard (The second time this winter).

syzranagain.jpg

syzranresults.jpg

We saw them off once more, killed 3 whole elements of their Latvian elites, but it was a costly victory again.

The only other areas of interest are Antonov-Ovseenko's sabre-rattling around Saratov (not pictured) and my maneuvering around Viatka:

viatkaregion.jpg

My two worker regiments have been keeping eyes on the Reds, now I plan to do a feint attack on the large Red force with a Volunteer brigade while my main force in the area loops around to the South and cuts the lines behind the Reds by capturing Kotelnich.

I'll keep making notes, even if I don't have flashy arrows like SOME people ;)

(EDIT: Fixed. The issue was me being sleepy/an idiot)

Last edited:
Honestly couldn't tell you, not my field of expertise I'm afraid. What I do know is that the icon representing them is a normal infantry icon with a star in the middle. This indicates an elite infantry regiment.

I'm sure someone will put us both out of our misery and tell us shortly!

Edit: Some interesting reading here though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_Riflemen (Example: In 1919 the division received the highest military recognition of that time: the Honorable Red Flag of VTsIK)

d_p, how many forces will you have to divert to get that green rebellion under control again? Overall, the situation seems favorable for the Volunteer Army (way to go, gobbling up the Ukraine and putting Tsaritzyn under siege!) and the Siberian Whites, but that green uprising might just give the Reds enough of a breathing space to organize and focus their undivided attention on the Volunteer Army for a bit...

Suscribed!

I want this game so much is it as much fun as it looks?

Yeah, it's a lot of fun, especially multiplayer. We seem to be having a bit of a turn delay, please bear with us! (normal service will be resumed as soon as possible, etc)

@Stuyvesant - I will have a look at what I was planning to send against the Greens when I get the turn and I'll fill you in then. You're right, I'm going to have to be careful not to weaken my forces facing the Reds but I can't have the Greens rampaging around behined my lines either. Should be fun.

Well, as it turns out the hold-up was my fault, many apologies! We're back on track and I'll post my strategic map (with arrows and everything! - N.B. My arrows aren't as lovely as Alikchi's) very soon.

Forward!

MINI-UPDATE INCOMING - Main frontline with Reds holding steady STOP We are making some advances in the Southern areas STOP Many more Greens appearing STOP Wish they'd stop STOP - MESSAGE ENDS

I'll do a proper update soon, honestly =\