• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Plus, if you remember, Patton is wildly popular and successful, his voice means something. Truman might take a hit for forcing into retirement one of his best generals during the election and that could tip the scales in favor of MacArthur. Also, I never had any intention of having him back MacArthur, he was always going to be backing Truman, so why would Truman or anyone in his government demand the resignation of one of his biggest backers?

Because everyone will be demanding it, the military does not get involved in elections. Breaking that tradition would cause a hell of a backlash. Hell there are problems when retired generals back a candidate. The military is suppose to remain apolitical and apart from such considerations in the US.

I mean you are aware that it's against US law for anyone to expresses a political opinion in uniform?

Because everyone will be demanding it, the military does not get involved in elections. Breaking that tradition would cause a hell of a backlash. Hell there are problems when retired generals back a candidate. The military is suppose to remain apolitical and apart from such considerations in the US.

I mean you are aware that it's against US law for anyone to expresses a political opinion in uniform?

That I am not. If I were aware of that law, I would not have had him back Truman. I shall therefore remove that. Despite my knowledge of history, that is not something I am familiar with as American history is admittedly not my premier area of interest.

Last edited:
*gets out an coin*

Heads: Truman
Tails: MacArthur

*flips coin*

It's Heads! I vote for Truman.*

*Yes, I really did decide my vote that way.

That might have been how I would have decided it too if I had not put this to a vote.

Also, for those of you who have already read my last update, I have edited the end of It where I talk about the election. On Frigidmagi's information and after verifying that the law he mentioned exists, I have removed the section about Patton's backing and replaced it with a summary of the grand strategy both candidates will use to win the war. Note, these plans will only come to pass if the offensive in Spain grinds to a halt and stalemates. I will under no circumstances let up the pressure if I am still making progress.

Last edited:
That I am not. If I were aware of that law, I would not have had him back Truman. I shall therefore remove that. Despite my knowledge of history, that is not something I am familiar with as American history is admittedly not my premier area of interest.

It's something they taught me in bootcamp:)

An interesting update. I'll vote for Truman.

Hey History_Buff, may I ask if you're making an electoral map that depends on the readers' votes?

Hey History_Buff, may I ask if you're making an electoral map that depends on the readers' votes?

I might. As it stands, it would be Truman by a landslide. If MacArthur does not get at least 3 more votes to make this a race, I will call this election over when I get home from work tomorrow.

I might. As it stands, it would be Truman by a landslide. If MacArthur does not get at least 3 more votes to make this a race, I will call this election over when I get home from work tomorrow.

Well, time to see MacArthur in trouble. May I ask if Barkley is still the Vp, if you have decided?

Well, time to see MacArthur in trouble. May I ask if Barkley is still the Vp, if you have decided?

Truman's cabinet is the same as it was after the 1948 election. MacArthur's VP candidate is Richard Nixon. Seeing as he is going to leave day-to-day running of the country to his VP while he runs the war, he had to be someone who understood politics and Nixon was arguably one of the best politicians in the countries history if not the best president or leader. while all major decisions are of course made by MacArthur, his main focus will of course be on the war.

Last edited:
Truman's cabinet is the same as it was after the 1948 election. MacArthur's VP candidate is Richard Nixon. Seeing as he is going to leave day-to-day running of the country to his VP while he runs the war, he had to be someone who understood politics and Nixon was arguably one of the best politicians in the countries history if not the best president or leader. while all major decisions are of course made by MacArthur, his main focus will of course be on the war.

Nixon as Vice President? Shoot! Curse my coin for landing on Truman! :mad:

Because if (and I admit it's a big if) you strip out his paranoia about political
enemies, you have one of the best Presidents of the 20th cent. in OTL.

You sure would remove a lot of what makes Nixon ... himself.

Nixon's healthcare reforms would have saved us alot of pain and his moves towards China helped give us breathing room in the Cold War. I'm not saying Nixon got a bum rap, because he didn't. As President he ordered the commission of crimes against Political Enemies solely for self gain. That's a killer and he deserved to be thrown out of office at the very least. (Irony a very much younger Ms. Hillary Rodnam did alot of the staff work to get him toss out, we know her as Ms. Clinton).

Still he had some very good ideas and did some good, it's not like he was a cartoon character cackling about doing evil all the time.

Nixon as Vice President? Shoot! Curse my coin for landing on Truman! :mad:

You can always change your vote

Nixon's healthcare reforms would have saved us alot of pain and his moves towards China helped give us breathing room in the Cold War. I'm not saying Nixon got a bum rap, because he didn't. As President he ordered the commission of crimes against Political Enemies solely for self gain. That's a killer and he deserved to be thrown out of office at the very least. (Irony a very much younger Ms. Hillary Rodnam did alot of the staff work to get him toss out, we know her as Ms. Clinton).

Still he had some very good ideas and did some good, it's not like he was a cartoon character cackling about doing evil all the time.
He was not one of the most ethical or moral presidents we have had and he was kind of paranoid, but he was also a masterful politician and he is experienced in Politics which MacArthur is not. I pretty much grafted Eisenhower's cabinet onto MacArthur, if this is something people do not like, I will change who his VP is. Also, I am extending the time limit for this election to 6 0'clock tomorrow, but this is the last time I will do so. No, I am not favoring MacArthur, I am simply giving people more time to act on the new information that I have given. Also, I edited the update and it now tells that Nixon has been chosen as VP and part of the reason why.

i vote MacArthur. truman might have been a good president in real world 1948. But this is an Axis controlled world 1952. I thinkMacArthur would have a better understanding of how to prosecute the war on a global scale against the axis, and free the world.

Also, whats the air war like?

Last edited:
While Nixon would likely be a capable VP and certainly an interesting character MacArthur's also part of that package so I'm still voting for Truman. What kind of fallout will there be if MacArthur loses the election? I believe a serving general running for office is pretty much unprecedented.