• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Odd move by the Germans there- Spain may have been lost to them long-term but American victory there was hardly guaranteed and the Germans were certainly in a position to make any US victory very costly. At least we can hope that Hitler's either out of the picture, had a rage-induced aneurysm or had his entire high command shot thanks to this,. ;)

Odd move by the Germans there- Spain may have been lost to them long-term

yes and no, I will explain more in future updates.

but American victory there was hardly guaranteed and the Germans were certainly in a position to make any US victory very costly.

you actually might be more right then you know, the next few updates will reveal my meaning.

At least we can hope that Hitler's either out of the picture, had a rage-induced aneurysm or had his entire high command shot thanks to this,. ;)

Hitler is very much still alive, as for the High Command, I cannot have him shot the heads of the various military arms, but I sure as hell can do it for him;).

Per forum rules, please do not have more than 20 pics in a single update.
Having a lot of pics increases the overhead for Paradox and makes you AAR load slowly.

I will remember that and try to limit the amount of screenshots from now on.

How about that? Thanks to German AI, you might actually do well in Spain.

There decision, if based on what I guessed it was, is actually very sound. The North of Spain is the only area that has any good defensive positions and if I can keep landing in weakspots, eventually I might manage to breakout. A shorter line means less to defend and virtually no area vulnerable enough for an amphibious end run.

smart move by the german AI
if they pile up enough troops in Bilbao-Bordeaux (the infamous bottleneck)
they can stop the US advance easily

is Vichy neutral?

smart move by the german AI
if they pile up enough troops in Bilbao-Bordeaux (the infamous bottleneck)
they can stop the US advance easily

This is true. I will try to make sure they cannot hunker down in Northern Spain, but I may not be able to push them out, in which case I will have to land somewhere else

is Vichy neutral?

For now, yes. I have an event chain planned that will get them into the war, but it is giving me issues so I may just declare war on them.

Soon after the breakout of Portugal, Eisenhower ordered a general advance out of Gibraltar. He designated Montgomery as his field commander, the man who would carry out the orders he issued. The arrangement worked well. While Montgomery was the commander on paper, Eisenhower was one who was really in command (had to explain why the game designated Montgomery and not Eisenhower as the commander)
4uv092.jpg

Wilson also ordered a general advance in all directions out of Valencia. The Americans were finally making headway.
etsjgo.jpg

As soon as he seized Salamanca, Patton ordered his men onward to Madrid. After years of inactivity, Patton finally had his chance to be the darling of the press and the public hero he was after the liberation of Britain.
2mn4xdv.jpg

He managed to drive the Spanish out of there capital and seized it soon after. In the coming months, the Spanish would make innumerable attempts to retake the capital but not a single one of them would ever come close to dislodging Patton. The Americans were here to stay.
v7sjr8.jpg

The Americans were overrunning Spain. Once Madrid fell, the south of Spain would be cut off from the North of the country along with any Spanish soldiers in the area.
2rw3o75.jpg

The Spanish continued to rush men into Madrid in an effort to stall Patton's advance, but they all failed. Eventually, Patton ordered the city of Siguenza seized. That would cut off anybody in the capital from supply and also close the route to further invasion.
30c6p9g.jpg

The push succeeded as another force pushed into Madrid. The Spanish were getting desperate and repeatedly pleaded to their German allies to send their men back to try and through the Americans back, but the Germans were dragging their feet. The security and continued existence of Nationalist Spain was not there concern and all they cared about was ensuring that France was secure. Patton pushed this army out of the capital too and kept advancing without missing a step. Then, on August 11, 1952, Patton finally entered the capital city of Madrid amidst fervent celebration.
a17iw7.jpg

Franco's government, which had started as incredibly popular, was being seen more and more as a puppet of the Germans. Though they were not officially German puppets, they had been dragged into a war they neither needed or wanted by said government. The war had only continued to decline in popularity as it went on until virtually no one outside of the Government supported it, and they still refused to end it. The government had also proven itself completely dependent on the Germans for its defense, something that disgusted the Spanish people. "If they knew they were not strong enough to take on all potential enemies in the war, why did they enter it in the first place?' That was the question on everyone's lips. Patton set up his headquarters in the old Royal Palace and began planning further offensives.
Patton then joined the advance on Siguenza.
3150lr5.jpg

while this was going on, the Spanish forces in the South were being forced into an increasingly small pocket.
Meanwhile, in Siguenza, the number of men involved in the battle began to grow until both sides commanded truly massive forces in the area.
sdpvex.jpg

That was when the Germans, who had recently returned, force the Americans out of Guadalajara. The attempt to retake it would become one of the bloodiest battles of the war and quite possibly the bloodiest battle in American history up to that point.
50jtw5.jpg

Eventually, the number of men involved in the battle for Siguenza were almost equal
sgocg2.jpg

After that, the offensive in the North ground to a temporary halt. Patton decided not to try and take Siguenza again until the south fell and all of those men could be sent back up North.
Guadalajara soon fell, breaking the encirclement in the south. Patton hoped that the city of Albacete could be seize quickly, as it would create a new encirclement and create a linkup with the men in Valencia if they could take it.
qsoay1.jpg

He also ordered the recapture of Guadalajara as soon as possible. All men who were in a position to attack it and did not have an objective to take at the moment were ordered to attack it. Hitler decided that the area was key enough, he even sent his right-hand man, Heinrich Himler, there to command the defense.
2hehqv6.jpg

The Germans also continued to hammer against the American positions in Northern Spain, but they were never able to make headway.
jz9vyx.jpg

Guadalajara also started to gain a reputation as a meat grinder. the Germans sent an almost unending stream of men into the area. They would always be beaten, but the groups they sent continued to grow in size. Patton feared that eventually, the Americans would have to call of the attack because of this.
This is exactly what would eventually happen.
110c3ty.jpg

He immediately ordered another attack against the Guadalajara salient. He did not try to cut it off because he was not sure he had the manpower to do so. He feared if he tried that, the Germans would send men from all the surrounding areas. He also thought that they would simply order Guadalajara abandoned, or worse, they might order the men there to attack him in Siguenza. Most of the Northern forces were also disorganized and demoralized and he knew they would not hold up in a knockdown dragout fight.
2lxv29j.jpg

Despite his initial concerns, once he felt his men were ready, he did order the region attacked. by attacking both at the same time, he hoped to force the men from Siguenza into Guadalajara and then destroy them. However, that was still a little farther in the future. The Germans in Guadalajara also managed to force the Americans out of Valencia. The Men from Castellon immediately abandoned the position in an attempt to reinforce the position.
ezl404.jpg

Up North, Stillwell, who had been commanding an advance from La Coruna on Ovieda, was also forced to retreat.
jb44cy.jpg

The reinforcement of Valencia also succeeded as another successful attack on Guadalajara forced the Germans there to abandon their advance toward the city. That was the other reason that Guadalajara was chosen as a target over Siguenza. While the Germans could make no headway in their attempts to force the Americans in the North out of their positions, forays from Guadalajara had forced several American divisions to retreat. While no provinces were lost, the German position in Guadalajara was threatening a breakthrough, and that could not be allowed. If pressure could be kept on the area, they would be unable to make any advances.
8x6iqg.jpg

Well that is another update done. The next one will come either latter today or tommorow morning, depending on whether I can find the time to put it up later on before it gets too late.

Very nice job in Spain, I can't wait to see Republican Spain released. Too bad you're not Social Democrat, I always saw that as fitting for Spain for some reason *shrugs*.

Oh, now the Germans decide Spain is worth defending again. They really should have either remained in their past positions or shortened the front as much as possible to make any breakthrough impossible- their current position looks untenable in the short term. Though looking at the battles with the Germans it looks like they're running out of manpower, which would certainly explain their desire to move to a defensive stance.

Very nice job in Spain, I can't wait to see Republican Spain released. Too bad you're not Social Democrat, I always saw that as fitting for Spain for some reason *shrugs*.

I am indifferent to what government Spain will have. Republican Spain will most definitely be released as soon as possible.

Oh, now the Germans decide Spain is worth defending again. They really should have either remained in their past positions or shortened the front as much as possible to make any breakthrough impossible- their current position looks untenable in the short term. Though looking at the battles with the Germans it looks like they're running out of manpower, which would certainly explain their desire to move to a defensive stance.

A General with any brains would realize as long as Madrid, Castellon, and Valencia are in my hands, Guadalajara is long term untenable and withdraw from it. I believe they very well might be running on empty in terms of manpower. My men are suffering horrendous casualties too. I have a screenshot somewhere that shows how high the reinforcement demand shot up and it is quite high.

Spain will fall soon i think

Here is to hoping. Where I am at now, I have not yet completely evicted them. I do not want to play to far ahead and have restricted myself to playing only up to the election because I want the election to be decided by my readers.

My next update will most likely come tomorrow. I start Work tomorrow, so It will not be until the afternoon and will certainly not come before 3 O'clock.

if you manage to push them back, it will be even more bloddy,
(fighting in the Pyrenees mountains, ouch!)

the germans must have at least 100 divisions in Spain, if those divisions retreat safely to the bottleneck it will be almost impossible to defeat them with a frontal assault

managed to find some time at work to reply to this, so I will
Finally, Spain is turning into a patch of blue. :)

Republican Spain will help provide forces, I would imagine.

They should provide significant force. If I can use them to help me win the war, all the better.

if you manage to push them back, it will be even more bloddy,
(fighting in the Pyrenees mountains, ouch!)

the germans must have at least 100 divisions in Spain, if those divisions retreat safely to the bottleneck it will be almost impossible to defeat them with a frontal assault
Who says I intend to use a frontal assault if that happens. Also, remember that I have 30 mountain divisions already in Spain and I can make more for the attempt.

Wish I knew I would have the ability to visit this site, I would have tried to save the screenshots and make an update now.

After several weeks of campaigning, the South of Spain finally fell.
atu4ic.jpg

The men in Jaen and Murcia were promptly ordered to return to the front line to try and aid the attempt to force the Germans out of Guadalajara.
After throwing a great deal of weight into the attack, the Germans were easily forced out of the region yet again.
nlsxfq.jpg

Spanish retreating forces also retreated into Almeria, seizing and necessitating the diversion of forces to deal with them.
1qiam8.jpg

Then finally, after weeks of attempts, the Americans reentered Guadalajara.
344aahg.jpg

However, this triump was short lived, as not enough men had arrived to hold the city, and it was lost again.
2z6e8ab.jpg

An immediate counterattack failed to dislodge the Germans, so it was decided that they would wait until the entire force could hit the region and force them out. It was also planned to attack Siguenza at the same time to both surround the province and force away any potential reinforcements.
As soon as the force was ready, and attack was ordered that successfully forced the Germans from Guadalajara.
1zyx8c5.jpg

Patton also ordered the construction of new forts to prepare in case the advance stalled. the soldier would constantly advance beyond these prepared lines in places, but Patton would just cancel the construction orders and order the lines to be place somewhere else. He wanted to be sure he could be prepared in case the offensive stalled. Conversely, he ordered the construction of forts in the Patton line halted, seeing as they were no longer needed. The Patton line still remained a formidable barrier for Portuguese defense n case it was ever needed, but the chances of needing them again in this war was miniscule.
2m2e0s6.jpg

Patton also ordered an advance on Castelllon to set up the future offensive on Siguenza. When Castellon fell, the advance on Siguenza would be given the go ahead.
25anafb.jpg

Patton, however, grew impatient and ordered the advance before the American force advancing on Castellon was in position. While the attack succeeded, the decision would soon come back to haunt him.
206legz.jpg

Castellon soon fell and Eisenhower was ordered to assist in the assault on Siguenza as soon as he was able.
286xyix.jpg

Soon after, however, The Americans in Burgos, bloodied and disorganized by the attack on Siguenza, were forced to retreat by an attack by the Germans.
24wzfdl.jpg

The attack on Siguenza faltered as a result of this, but good news would arrive soon after. After much bloodletting, the city of Guadalajara finally fell, this time for good, to the Americans.
2mwgthc.jpg

the Americans also ordered an attack toward the city of Burgos in an attempt to retake it. The Americans in Valladolid succeeded in doing just that.
2rzaq3a.jpg

Another assault was also ordered on Siguenza, with Alexander as the on-paper commander but as Patton the real commander (seriously, I have yet to figure out how the computer determines who the commander is, but If skill and number of men are equal, should not the general from the puppet master command over the general from the puppet nation?)
29bmvq8.jpg

Despite Patton's best efforts, the attack would ultimately fail.
Meanwhile, the campaign in Spain had become a meat grinder and the American economy was thoroughly unable to keep up with the constant demand for the equipping of reinforcements and could only tackle the problem in bits and pieces. The butcher bill was so horrendous that Truman himself lamented that he would either go down in history as the man who led the nation to a valient defense of democracy to topple the most evil dictator in recent memory, or, as he put it, "An unholy butcher". The Spanish campaign had unquestioningly become the bloodiest campaign in what was fast becoming the bloodiest war the United States had ever fought in.(This is not even the first time in this phase of the Spanish campaign that the casualties have mounted this high, just the only time I got a screenshot of it)
10zybg6.jpg

The offensive toward Burgos also failed with the with the withdrawal of the men from Valladolid depriving it of its only fresh troops. The Americans were also licking there wounds in preparation for another offensive towards Siguenza.
When the Americans finally did launch the attack on Siguenza, it was with a force 2,280,000 strong. Not surprisingly, the attack succeeded.
2i1yt7p.jpg

Truman also decided to promote General Patch to Field Marshal, given his meritorious service and his skill being more then sufficient for the rank.
2cihc2s.jpg

Soon after, Siguenza fell and the Americans only had one natural barrier between them and the Pyrenees: the Ebro River
xojc3l.jpg

The American mountaineers in La Coruna were also forced to retreat back to Opporto.
201126b.jpg

That is it for this update As I am at the screenshot limit. Another short one will be posted later on today. Also, I am now putting to a vote which general will oppose Truman. As I have already said, the general will remain on the front as that is somehow possible, and I will figure out someway to explain their pressence on the front.

Option A: MacArthur He is wildly popular as the liberator of Australia some months ago and is the unquestioned master of the Pacific.
Option B: Patton He has recently been responsible for a massive breakout in Spain and is the liberator of the British Isles and is thus also massively popular.

Patton as President would be awesome, I believe.

Just realized that I lack the reserve screnshots to make another short update, so what is left will be added to the next update. I will wait until I have enough votes on Truman's opponent to write the next update, since I am getting very close to the election.

The casualties are quite shocking considering how slowly you're advancing, though at least you have more than enough manpower to deal with it and the Germans are still continuing to suffer more. I vote for MacArthur to go against Truman- while seeing Patton run would be incredibly entertaining I doubt he'd leave the Spanish campaign half-done for someone else to screw up and MacArthur seems more openly ambitious to me.