• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The aspiring warrior. Malik Abdullah's reign part 1(1089-1097)
Chapter 7

Malik Hiba died on 10 September 1089 of his faulty eye. He was not buried by Islamic customs, instead his body was flung off the cliff of a desert wadi(Low hill) as he had wished. He flew like a bird for one last time on the earth. All his well-wishers wished that he would fly in Allah's gardens for eternity.

untzqLX.png

Immediately, Badra got to work. The Malik Abdullah V, her eldest son was only 9 years old. Like his father, his merry boyhood had been flung into the ugly world of men and their intrigues. There was no shortage of those. It is written in the Abdullah Maliknama(Written by an author called Tawariz of whom we have no information) that just hours after Hiba's death, a band of assiliants tried to attack Abdullah even as he lay in mourning. Fortunately, Badra had them caught. The men were castrated and sold away in slavery as an example. That same night, she had the Khutba read in his name. He was crowned as chief of the Banu Khattab by dawn.

Photo15-1002x1024%281%29.gif

A modern day painting of the Malikaa Badra drawn by a historian from German Mittelafrika.

Then, Badra got to work. Within days of Abdullah's coronation, all of his minor enemies were either bought off or killed. Soon, peace reigned strong atleast in the central oasises of Zawila and Murzuk. According to the Maliknama, this noble woman wanted her son to have a carefree childhood away from the dangers of day to day power.
She succeeded in doing so, however, she could not stop the intrigues among her own son. Abdullah's friend Karim, despite being younger towered over him. He was much more stronger than the young Malik and he regularly beat up the comparatively timid Malik Abdullah in wrestling matches. For a long time, the Malik ignored it for companionship. But one particular day, tired of the constant torment, the Malik vowed to take up his martiality seriously. Still only 11 years old, the Malik started on his path to become a maniacal warrior.

He started eating more, wrestling more, training more. He also learned the arts of sword fighting and archery. Badra appointed a team of the most trusted and best warriors in the tribe to further his training. They also taught him the intrigues and ways of the battlefield. The Malik became a highly proficient and brilliant warrior and leader by the time the regency ended in 1096. But in the process, he had lost his childhood despite his mother's efforts.

byoZ8nN.png

OQcBHtI.png

After this, the Maliknama jumps straight to an event that occurred shortly after the end of the regency. On his mother's advice, the Malik Abdullah decided to travel to his farway province of Daura. But as he neared it, he decided to rest with his bodyguards at an uninhabited oasis in the desert. At dawn, he suddenly noticed dozens of men fighting with their swords drawn. He alerted his soldiers and drew his own. He noticed that those men outnumbered his band. So he decided to covertly spy on their activities. On further observation, he concluded that it was not fighting, but dueling that he was seeing. Seeing Dueling, the Malik could not control his emotions, still just a boy of 16 and quite brash, he appeared head on in the dueler's camp and declared "I am Malik Abdullah of the Banu Khattab, I wish to join you too". According to the Maliknama, a sudden silence fell around. Both the duelers and the Malik's bodyguards looked at each other silently, swords drawn. Finally, one of the senior duellers came forward.

Q09LSDJ.png

He spoke in a fatherly voice "Young boy, inside this camp, there is no Malik and no slave. We duel to show our manliness and power. If you want to join us, then you join us by showing your guts, not your position" said the old man.

"Ok then, tell me, what should I do to join?" asked the Malik.

AwHBHl0.png

The old man did not speak, he simply waived his hand at one of the warriors in the camp. The Maliknama says that the warrior came from the Hausa state of Gobir. The Malik understood immediately. A ferocious duel took place. The Malik fought using his sword while the warrior, towering over the Malik used a curved wooden blade. The duel lasted for more than an hour. Sadly at the end, the Malik was pinned down and despite his saying otherwise, the old man ordered the warrior to stop and declared the warrior as the victor. The dejected Malik left the camp and continued travelling to Daura.

8cROXni.png

In Daura, the Malik ordered the release of the chieftess who had been under house arrest since his father's annexation of the settlement. It would prove to be a big mistake later on.
He also waived a few taxes as instructed by his mother to improve their relations with the local population. In the end, he left as a respected ruler rather than a visiting conquerer.
On the way back, he suddenly saw a few horsemen riding towards him. For a moment the Malik became alert, however to his astonishment, they were some of the duelers that he had seen in the old man's camp. They bowed before him and presented him a strong curved sword. With it was a letter. The exact contents of the letter are not described, but the Maliknama describes the scene as momentous. The Malik was delighted at being declared a worthy warrior by the band of duelers despite having lost the duel. He had been declared their equal if not overlord.

Q4me1PO.png

When he returned, he decided to sacrifice his ceremonial robes in favour of leading a warrior's life. He also gave up on cutting his beard and kept his hair in long locks. He also started giving fair justice without looking at people's rank. The Maliknama praises him highly for the same. He also approved new plans to dig up extra wells at the drought hit oasis of Fachi which saw fruit. Within mere months, the oasis was flooded with light rains and most of the water was saved up due to the wells. Everyone praised the Malik for that. It was as if prosperity and fame were raining down on him. This happened in 1097.

UbpIyih.png

GGrfxwm.png

98fv1vT.png

Meanwhile, the noble Badra finally decided to retire and live a quiet life hoping to never enter politics again.

aQyrV9X.png

That same year, the Malik also decided to further his fame as a warrior chief by holding a great festival at Murzuk.

wodaabe7.jpg

Male beauty contests were a salient part of the Berber tribal festivals.

horseman-large.jpg

But some males preferred to show their rougher side in duels instead.

camel-racing.jpg

Camel racing. Camels were the lifeline of the Sahara and proud owners aimed to improve their family's prestige by trying to breed the fastest camels.

tunisia-douz-sahara-festival-berber-tents-north-africa-sahara-festival-J4NH81.jpg

And of course, there were the woman, enjoying, silently in their own groups.

All the chief's(and chieftesses) including the ones of Bilma and Daura were called to the festival and welcomed. They came. Sadly for the Malik, their intentions were questionable......

Last edited:
PM from Jazzy1659(Uploader of Lanes of the Sahara)

If you like the pirated pdf upload of this historical report and have some money, then please support the authors by legally buying it.They have spent a lot of time and effort into writing it.
Also please Upvote me in the community awards at Pdf Pirates.com to get more quality uploads.

Last edited:
1)I have left more clues for the modern day situation of this history report in chapter 7
See if you can find.
;)

2)I find it much more comfortable to write down short and focused gameplay chapters rather than trying to squeeze in a whole lifetime in one chapter. So that's gonna be my format at least for the next couple of chapters.

Last edited:
I personally loved this chapter, and in general just your way of turning boring monotonous events like the warrior lodge's into entertaining, unique stories. Although I thought maybe you could have mentioned his homosexuality and intelligence (You rather made him sound like a stupid brute)

ps: I thought you would halt with the screenshots, I mean I like them, but you said they were annoying to add

I personally loved this chapter, and in general just your way of turning boring monotonous events like the warrior lodge's into entertaining, unique stories. Although I thought maybe you could have mentioned his homosexuality and intelligence (You rather made him sound like a stupid brute)

ps: I thought you would halt with the screenshots, I mean I like them, but you said they were annoying to add
For certain reasons, his homosexuality is not worth mentioning.
Thanks so much for liking the little stories I make of events.
Yes, I don't like adding screenshots, but I am doing it for ya'll readers.
Thank-you so much for commenting.

Abdullah's fighting prowess might not be of much use when dealing with his vassals. He needs more years, instead.
True. A great ruler is always one who has lived a long lifetime.
Only time will tell.
Thanks for commenting.

He seems to be going a bit native, as it were.

The aspiring warrior. Malik Abdullah's reign part 2
Chapter 8

By late July 1097, the great Banu Khattab tribal festival had turned into a melting pot of Islamic cultures. Many great men from places as far as Egypt and Al-Andalus made the journey to this remote corner of the Islamic world to take part in this festival. It also turned out to be a diplomatically sound choice as Malik Abdullah met with diplomats representing various Sultanates Sheikhdoms. He also noticed a large number of singers, bards, holy Inams and poets entertaining people in the festival for a fee. It was this that prompted the Malik to hold a large poetry contest.

kr7nd90.png

It was a royal affair. A large reward was declared and each poet had to display their acumen every day for a full fortnight. At the end, whoever had managed to keep their poetry fresh and original for the whole 15 day period would win. The Malik was extremely happy to see that hundreds flocked to his court for the competition and he was soon overwhelmed by men who could wield their words like a sharp sword and who could create music out of nothingness. The Malik was enjoying himself. But elsewhere, sinister plots were being hatched.

It was around this time that the chief Abubakr of Bilma and the chieftess Shawata of Daura mysteriously left Murzuk and returned to their home provinces. The Malik was so engulfed in the poetry contest that he did not notice this act.

On 6th July 1097, just 2 days before the poetry contest was about to end, the Malik suddenly received reports of large rebellions in Bilma and Daura. The chief Abubakr had rebelled with the help of the chieftess of Daura like his father and grandfather before him.
The Malik is reported to have said "I gave the undeserving woman her freedom(From house arrest) and she repays me with this?" .
Even worse, the rebels had also managed to bribe the hitherto loyal chieftain of Zawila to rebel. The Malik was horrified. Zawila had once been the crowning city of the Banu Khattab and it was also the biggest town in the whole kingdom. Losing it was a great blow to his prestige.

nBTk86f.png

In short notice, the Malik declared the festival closed. The festival gave him a unique advantage, there was no need to rally all the tribes and mercenaries together, they were already there in Murzuk on account of the festival.

Ugv1xHc.png

The Malik attacked Zawila in early August. However the town was well fortified and false reports of a great plaque meant that the siege eventually became a stalemate.
Elsewhere, the rebels crushed a few loyal tribes at Fachi and raided the oasis, then they stopped at Bilma and decided to fortify the oasis. The Malik Abdullah concentrated all his might on taking Zawila and for a few months, a status quo was established.

It was broken violently in late February 1098 when the Malik managed to bribe a guard and enter Zawila through an unguarded gate and himself led an attack. The defenders were caught by surprise and meekly surrendered. The treasonous chieftain committed suicide on learning of the attack. The Malik agreed to forgive the defending soldiers if they agreed to join him in his march towards Bilma. The men agreed.

Now, having tasted victory in battle for the first time, the Malik felt a renewed vigour . He marched his armies rapidly towards Bilma.
Interestingly, the battle of Bilma on 20 March 1098 is the first in the annals of the Maliknama to be somewhat documented.

Even as the two armies faced each other near a desert Wadi(Small sand hillock) just outside Bilma, the Malik ordered his light cavalry to attack the rebel left flank. The rebels behaved predictably and concentrated all their efforts on the left. Then the Malik sent his heaviest cavalry on the exposed right flank. In that attack, the chief Abu Bakr was taken by surprise and was captured alive. Then, the Malik sent his men on foot to begin the main assault. By noon, it was over. The Malik had won.

Nabatean_Arabs_Spearmen.jpg

Berber infantry of the kind employed at Bilma.

3b86481dbc790766451b4d1fcf00f4d9e6ea0fd7

Light cavalry was used to harass the enemy left flank.

o49D

The Malik used heavy sword cavalry to assault the enemy's right flank. Here, we see them in intense combat with the surprised enemy.

M8nVA4z.png

After all that strategy and planning, the result was a foregone conclusion.

However, the chieftess of Daura tried to run. She first ran to Fachi and tried to occupy the town with what few men she had left. But when she heard reports of the Malik marching towards Fachi, she decided to march towards her fortress in Daura. It was on the way to Daura, that the Malik caught her on 2 October 1098.

csx3P2J.png

IJMQjXM.png

The Malik imprisoned the chieftess and was about to put her to death, when, according to the Maliknama, a wise Inam asked him to take this opportunity and convert the people of Daura and the Hausa in general to the true faith instead. The chieftess was released only after she agreed to convert to Islam and the Ibadi sect.

Greek_Janissaries_-_Greek_youths_who_are_being_converted_to_Islam_-_Young_Greeks_at_the_Mosque_-_oil_painting_on_canvas_-_Jean_L%C3%A9on_G%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_-_1865.JPG

The chieftess of Daura converts to Islam. A pivotal moment in the history of MittelAfrika and the Hausa peoples.

SkfC0Tz.png

Shortly afterwards, the Malik, as a personal insult forced the imprisoned chief AbuBakr of Bilma to give up his sister Tilelli's hand in marriage to him. The chieftain had no option but to accept.

Ti1b8U8.png

With the rebellion taken care off. The Malik spent a year taking care of his broken finances. Then, in May 1100, he decided to hold the festival again. Among the invitees was the warrior's band whom the Malik had dueled with all those years ago in the desert.

One day, a warrior from that band by the name of Mamadi challenged the Malik to a bout of hand wrestling. Now the Malik was a great tactician and a skilled swordsman, but his hands weren't too muscular. Predictably enough, he agreed enthusiastically and then lost !
Then to the horror of everyone present, the warrior openly insulted the Malik by calling him a pansy. This sent the Malik's blood curling. He challenged the warrior to a duel unto death.

sPow5Cg.png

The Malik fought hard and the Maliknama states that the duel went on for more than 2 hours. But at the end, Mamadi slew the Malik by thursting his sword through Abdullah's stomach. Yet another chapter in the history of the Banu Khattab was now over.

nt9OfSj.png

XLVme3k.png

The next day, the old hardened Badra once again came out of retirement to take up another regency. The woman had toiled with politics her whole life and had went through two violent regencies already. Fate had cruelly subjected her to yet other. But the resourceful woman wasted no time. She immediately crowned Abdullah's brother, the 14 year old Wahab as Malik by having the Kuthba read in his name in front of all the major tribal leaders and chiefs. That night, she held a party for his coronation and the new Malik drank rose sherbet out of a skull glass. The skull of Mamadi !

skull-drinking-glass-table-books-wallpaper.jpg

Notes
1)The writer would like to thank the Herman Goering MittelAfrika Institution of Learning for information and access to this chapter of the Maliknama.

Last edited:
Just when he was getting his authority affirmed, Abdullah gets himself killed... at least he didn't lose the poetry competition too!
Hahaha
I hate that my rulers are dying so fast and so early
But on the bright side, that's a few less future pretenders(Since Abdullah had no children).

Thankyou so much for commenting as always.

Seems almost like sprearheading the spread of Islam south of the Sahara.

I bring sad news

As a friend it grieves me that I must be the one telling you all this but @lad will not be continuing this AAR as he has been banned, most probably permanently. I will not give any details as to why and how other than that it was not due to anything he does not regret. But rest assured that I have done everything in my power to try to get him unbanned, all in vain.
It has been a great journey and those of you who have been following this since the beginning will feel our pain, @lad was very passionate about his work and his fans, he has asked me to give you his last message:

"I loved all my readers, I will never forget the support. I may be gone, but the tale of the Banu Khattab remains. People will read it for years to come and will hopefully become interested in playing in the Sahara desert and buying Crusader Kings 2. My work will outlive my account !"

Well I am terrible sorry, but here's full stop.

Last edited:
I just was able to finish reading the thread, and met the unfortunate end of it. It was an enjoyable read. Well, it’s over now :/ Things happen in life.

Sad to find this in its unfinished state, but what is here is quite good. There's some real passion put into the research and fleshing out events into significant moments.