• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hmm looks just like mid 17th century Polish-Hungarian infantry. Well, I can`t promise anything, but maybe temporally it`ll be ok to use POL lvl2?

actually early 17th century (~1603), the picture is a specific "Bocskay hajdu"

but well the polish sprite can still be an alternative

(anyway at reply #112 I linked a few suggestions for level 1 too. just ignore the last two links those are irrevelant)

actually early 17th century (~1603), the picture is a specific "Bocskay hajdu"

but well the polish sprite can still be an alternative

(anyway at reply #112 I linked a few suggestions for level 1 too. just ignore the last two links those are irrevelant)

Ok. I plan to make Hussite style infantry, probably with spear and pavise - for central european countries lvl1 (Bohemia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia).

Ok. I plan to make Hussite style infantry, probably with spear and pavise - for central european countries lvl1 (Bohemia, Poland, Hungary, Croatia).

that might be very useful considering the Black Army was mainly based on hussite warfare and equipment (and was made of mainly - yep mainly again - hungarian and bohemian soldiers)

1.2 will contain many more sprites than 1.1 AFAIK

Originally Posted by thrashing mad

Well, these are good news. I'm also doing some conversions from Civ. III units (themselves added by modders of that game), as there are some beautiful ones, for my personal use. It would be neat if someone could confirm which sprites will make it to 1.2, as that way, i'll only mod units that won't be in it :D

Well, these are good news. I'm also doing some conversions from Civ. III units (themselves added by modders of that game), as there are some beautiful ones, for my personal use. It would be neat if someone could confirm which sprites will make it to 1.2, as that way, i'll only mod units that won't be in it :D

and which sprites do you have to implement ?

Greetings, I've recently got FtG and already got a couple of suggestions about Eastern European unit sprites.

Ukrainian sprites should be Russian or Polish. Moldavian and Wallachian sprites look more authentic as Polish, too, as already said. Lithuanian ones should too be Polish (or maybe Russian before gun-wielding sprites, Polish afterwards, the same may apply to Ukraine).

Most of the time, sprites coming from different sources (original EU2 and FtG creators' work) doesn't trouble me much, since the difference in style, while noticeable, isn't that great, but the Austrian and Spanish halberdiers look very thin and gawky compared to the default black halberdiers, not to mention these fat German landsknechts. I'd replace them with the default black-clad ones (can anyone tell me how to do that, BTW)?

Oh, and huge thanks for the ability to move units around the political map. Lack of that ability was the reason I've never been able to play EU2.

The sprite types are defined in Db\countries.txt (the "gfx" section). So to give Austria the default sprite set, you would do:
Code:
HAB = {
	picture = "gfx\scenarios\picture_min.bmp"
	color = White
	techgroup = latin
	leader_language = HAB
	new_colony = GER
	gfx = {
		army = HAB #change this to MIN
		navy = MIN
	}
	policy = {
		aristocracy = 8
		centralization = 3
		innovative = 4
		mercantilism = 8
		offensive = 5
		land = 8
		quality = 5
		serfdom = 8
	}
	elector = 1
	history = { }
}
Keep in mind, though, that this will turn all of Austria's armies to the default sprite -- not just the early-game ones. You can do it for just the early ones, but it's a little bit more involved and I'd rather know if this helps before going into it. :)

Yeah, I wanted to only change the pre-gunpowder sprites, but thanks anyway. Though I already understood how to change all of them ;).

In that case, you can rename (or move away) all files of the form "Gfx\Map\Units\T-ARMY C-HAB ... L-1.spr". If the game can't find the defined sprite set, it should default to MIN.

Yeah, I thought I'd have to do something like that. And BTW, all the sprites of these potential minor East Slavic principalities (Chernigov, Kiev etc). would look nicer as Russian, too.

Edit: Hm, just discovered that despite the slight difference in naming system, it's possible to use the original EU2 sprites in FTG. Might be useful for people who prefer more uniformity in style.

Last edited:
thrashing mad,

What happened to the new sprites for 1.2? :(

Austen.

Unfortunately, thrashing mad has chosen not to continue with the project for personal reasons.

I still think that Ukraine, Smolensk, Chernigov, Lithuania, Bulgaria, Serbia and maybe even Byzantium should use Polish musket sprite. At least, I can easily change it myself :)

Unfortunately, thrashing mad has chosen not to continue with the project for personal reasons.

That's a real pity. I really like his sprites, and was looking forward to some new ones in the patch.

The original line-infantry sprites still in use for the great powers in particular look rather lame when compared to the excellent new generic ones.

Didn't he have any new sprites already ready when he decided to pull out? If he did, couldn't those be put in at least? And are there any alternative plans when it comes to sprites?

That's a real pity. I really like his sprites, and was looking forward to some new ones in the patch.

The original line-infantry sprites still in use for the great powers in particular look rather lame when compared to the excellent new generic ones.

Didn't he have any new sprites already ready when he decided to pull out? If he did, couldn't those be put in at least? And are there any alternative plans when it comes to sprites?

Indeed! I second this motion.

Austen.

For personal use I did a reskin of the Japanese lvl1 sprites, but I'm actually quite pleased with the result, so I'm making it available for anyone interested.

Klick on the happy little samurai to download the sprites.

For personal use I did a reskin of the Japanese lvl1 sprites, but I'm actually quite pleased with the result, so I'm making it available for anyone interested.

Klick on the happy little samurai to download the sprites.

Very very nice, reskin? is that just a colour change?

Yep, just a colour change. I could have simply modified the palette for that, but I saw the original bitmaps had dead pixels and disjointed shadows, so I did a little reworking there as well.

Hello, you guys:

I´m trying to design sprites for my FTG and EU2 Games. my idea is to make them multifigure, i.e. instead of one soldier, you will see three of them. for instance, the one I´ve made for England L-1 consists of one longbowman and two billmen at his sides.
The sprites i´ve made so far work perfectly on game map, but when combat occurs, on combat interface screen the sprites are not centered, they display over the morale bar. I´ve already tried with the T-ARMY A-FIRE...spr file, but whatever I do with the offset (x,y), the sprite changes position on map but not on combat interface screen. i think there is maybe another file, but I can´t figure out which is and where it is.
Any suggestion? :wacko: