• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So, a standoff. It seems Sal was prescient. This is a trap, a trap for the deserving maybe?

The beginning scene appears to be setting something up, so without seeing what it does set-up it is difficult to properly comment on that. Though I will say that desperate men are driven to extremes ordinarily out of reach, and thus I think the Cheyenne will be very dangerous to someone.

The other 3 flow quite well. The middle one is like an optional extra - it doesn't actually add very much to the story but has some nice sentiments. And final one leave us hanging on a cliff edge, which is always good :)

Something of a short summary and advancement of the story to give readers a larger-context for the second half of the story;

Interlude​

territoryiu7.jpg

As the previously described events – American involvement in Mexico, the infantile Indian war, etc – make abundantly clear, the West was not brought into the fold of the United States without considerable turmoil. Never the less, the occurrences of the 1870s represent the gradual acceptance of civilization in the remotest regions of the continent. Great gains in the areas of transportation, communication, and the enforcement of law were made throughout the territories. Montana provides a wonderful example of the civilizing trend.

Prior to the 1870s, the Montana Territory was ravaged by wanton lawlessness. The federal government lacked much of any ability to enforce its dictates in the far-flung province. Consequently, all manner of illegal behavior – highway robberies, land speculation scams, murder – occurred without retribution. This characteristic of the region was highly distressful to regulators back in Washington.

In the early 1870s, federal officials began a rigorous journey toward the pacification of Montana. This campaign, which was sparked by the news of a particularly bloody Indian massacre at Fort Shaw*, was first seen within the pursuance of Indian regulations. The national army pushed the native tribes either further away from settled areas or onto dismal reservations.

Notable in this epochal conflict is the Cheyenne chief Dull Knife, otherwise known as Tamílapéšni. In August of 1871, as retribution for attacks on his settlements by an American cavalry captian – the emergent hero Aldo P. Chester – Dull Knife burned the town of Great Falls, Montana. Roughly sixty white settlers were killed, and the Washington government reacted with great furor.

The first political consequence of Dull Knife's savage war was the removal of Joseph K. Toole as territorial governor. A relative political unknown – Harold Wilks – was fatefully put into the governorship. This change in administration was lobbied for by prominent heads of the military, who were apparently still seething over Toole’s previous refusal to offer his stamp of approval to a plan for Indian removal. . .
* This event was actually the work of a lawman turned outlaw named Joe Tate trying to cover his tracks of crime.​

(To Be Continued)​

stnylan - As to whether Doc is deserving of being lured into the trap, I believe the question is whether or not you believe a sinful person can be forgiven. Doc has done some things that he wishes he hadn't. Does being sorry for one's action wash the hands of guilt?​

Things are definitely getting interesting, for sure. Quite the cliffhanger you left us with as well. I must say, I did not suspect Tate. But I sure hope Doc can find a way out of that pickle.

There are only a handful of ways a standoff can end. Most of them are painful, and should be avoided if entirely possible. Now, the prevention of violence when one or – if you’re a particularly unlucky sort of devil – more parties have guns pointed at your head is perhaps easier said than done. Every muscle in the body scream, “Pull the trigger! Pull the trigger!” A mind desperately aware of impeding doom calls for blood to spill.

Doc’s senses are sharp under these circumstances, perceptive of each tiny movement Tate makes. His eyes are narrowed into slits. Through this tunnel-like squint comes only the sight of his foe. Miles of sweeping and endless plains are erased from the realm of consideration. In Doc’s mind only two things exist: himself and Tate. Their guns are not separate entities but rather deadly – yet intrinsically natural – extensions of the fingers.

Meanwhile, Tate waits patiently for his inexperienced opponent to make a mistake. It is only a subject of when the doctor will hesitate at an awkward moment or grow tired from his weapon’s real and imaginary weight. Tate is a practiced killer and realizes the advantages time give him. . . Then again, the outlaw is forced to reluctantly admit that Doc also has blood upon his hands. Granted, it’s a strange type of murder, what the physician did during the war, but it was murder all the same. A man who has stolen another's life should never be under-estimated.

Sweat drips down Doc’s brow. A tremor runs through his arm, causing the muscles in his hand to shake. Tate deftly notices the minute quaver and bides his time patiently; it won’t be long now. Meanwhile, sensation is slipping from Doc’s extremities. He can’t believe how tedious this contest has become. All the stories he has heard of gunfights were quick, concise tales of violence. This struggle is being waged more against the body than the bullet.

Tate smells blood upon the wind and prepares to shoot. The art of a standoff is in deciding when to fire. If you wait too long, then you run the risk of dulling reaction time and accuracy. Alternately, too little waiting will leave your foe too attentive and a pellet in your chest. For the outlaw, the time feels right.

A choice is made, and the gunfighter walks over the proverbial cliff’s edge. Whether there is a net waiting to catch him below is yet to be seen. Meanwhile, a hunk of metal bores a trail of death through the air.

Doc falls to the ground.​

Last edited:
coz1 - The idea of having the sheriff be behind the crimes is actually borrowed from history. Apparently, there was a case in Montana of a lawman who played both sides of the game. He would be told - in the capacity of sheriff - when shipments of gold would be nearby. Naturally, being a brigand, he would then turn around and rob the people paying his salary. A nice scheme until he got caught. :)

Doc falls to the ground, but I'll reserve judgement on the reason for that yet. Perhaps he has taken that bullet, perhaps he just lost his footing. Stranger things have happened.

My question is did he get off a shot himself in the process? Perhaps he falls from the reaction. Either way, an excellent update!

“When I was growing up, war was civilized. I remember how the enemy used to make sure we had guns and never approached from behind. Killing women was strictly out of the question. Such an offense would earn you a stretched neck courtesy of your own country. Now. . . I don’t what now. . . It’s just not the same.

You know what, Sergeant? It doesn’t so much bother me that the rules of war have changed as that I don’t know why they’ve changed. I’d like to understand why we’re at ease – morally speaking – with killing children in their sleep.”

* * * * *​

Great Falls, Montana: August 4, 1871
The town of Great Falls, Montana looks as if God’s own apocalypse has suddenly descended a few centuries early. A dark confluence of flame and smoke cloaks the ruins in an unearthly light, and bodies lie scattered on the ground: cut down by bullets and more primitive weapons while fleeing the chaos.

From a distance, Captain Chester observes this gory scene. He holds a piece of cloth over his nose to ward off the awful stench that is wafting off of the departed settlers but still feels a strong compulsion to vomit. He hasn’t seen death like this in years. Not since Gettysburg has the fearless military man felt so ill. Chester wishes deeply to sink into the badlands and leave all of this horror behind, to depart for one of the other worlds that are positioned below and above. Anywhere is better.

He turns away from the massacre’s aftermath and lets go of the contents of his stomach. Having done such, Chester feels better, as though all of the terror has been purged with his last meals. A steely look comes into the commander’s eyes, and he silently swears revenge.

* * * * *​

Northern Cheyenne Reservation, Montana: August 8, 1871
“Have you or have you not been in contact with the renegade chief, Dull Knife, otherwise known as Tamílapéšni, of the Upper Cheyenne? . . . Answer the damned question, savage!” interrogates Captain Chester, who is in a awful rage.

“No. . . I have not heard from Tamílapéšni,” replies the Indian chief, a look of supreme serenity masking his inner fears.

Don't lie to me! Tell me the truth, or I’ll cut yer eyes straight out.”

The chief does not speak for a long moment. He has lost all that is valuable to him: his family, his freedom, and his dignity. Even though he would rise against the reservation agents in a heartbeat, the chief will never be contacted by Dull Knife, who rightly awknowledges that accepting to enter the reservation in the first place was tantamount to betrayal of the race. Eventually he replies, “Your threats do not affect me, Captain Chester. . . There is no more to fear from you.”

Bang.

“Put the body where the others will be able to see it, Privates.”​

stnylan and coz1 - The fates of Doc and Tate will come shortly. I had to flip back to the other part of our narrative for a moment. . . Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to find it interesting. :)

Montana Territory: August 8, 1871
Doc stands upon an undulating plain of ice. Everywhere is nothing, and the lonely traveler senses that he is not welcome in this place. He walks cautiously forward, seeking no particular destination but eager to abandon his current position. As he, thus, ventures cautiously into the void, Doc is haunted by a suspicion that something wicked is approaching.

An iron hand grabs hold upon the wanderer’s heart, and keeps it captive to paranoia. Though the eyes, ears, and other tools of sense reveal no oncoming danger, the mind doggedly screams, “Flee!” And so Doc breaks into an unsteady run. He limps painfully as the bullet Tate put in his leg loudly protests this exercise. Regardless of discomfort, however, the traveler pushes forward into the white nullity.

Eventually, having run himself ragged, Doc senses that danger has passed and slows to a halt. He pants feverishly, sucking in immense amounts of air but still feeling as though his lungs are being starved. It is a long while before this sensation subsides and the wanderer is again able to breathe freely. It is only then – calmed considerably but still plagued by unsteady nerves – that Doc looks up to the see where his mindless soles have swept him.

A scream escapes his lips; the traveler falls down upon the cold ground in terror. Looming above, a gun held murderously in his bloodied hand, is Tate. A deep, deadly, and terrible bullet-hole is evident in the outlaw’s head. Tate moves toward the fallen physician, ready to extract his revenge. . .

* * * * *​

With a start, Doc awakens from his demented dreams. His leg throbs, and his mind burns. Ruefully, the physician acknowledges that the nightmares have stolen another night of restful sleep from him. Doc wonders if the preservation of his existence, which is now cursed to be a pitiful half-life tormented by regret, was worth killing Tate for.

As the doctor prepares for another day of travel west – a journey precipitated by the citizens of Fort Shaw seeking retribution for the murder of their seemingly honorable sheriff – his eyes fall upon the orphaned child Christine. Seeing this life, fragile and in need of a guide through peril, Doc believes that he is satisfied with his choices.​

Let's hope no one questions Doc about Tate's death. And the two scenes read together are an interesting pair - both have men lamenting death while carrying it out for whatever reason. Ah, the dichotomy of life.

The confluence of murders is well-done. Both here between Doc and Tate, and Captain's Chester's grisly (and pointless) work.

Montana Territory: August 10, 1871
The old man and the young girl – cold, quiet, and content - walk into the shadowy northern foothills. They pause for a moment to watch as the sun begins to crest over distant mountaintops, bathing the barren world below in soothing light. Then, remembering the necessity of flight, the man takes his de facto child by the hand and leads her cautiously up into craggy darkness.

They take a wending path across the sparsely vegetated landscape. There are no trees to hide behind, only a few shrubs to conceal their passage in this hostile realm. Such desolation is to be expected up here in the badlands. Just as how no man lacking of desperation would tread on this soil, no tree that has not been shunned from every other quarter of the world will take root therein. This is the land of unwanted souls. Only Doc, his child Christine, the ugly plants, and the bandits willingly venture to this void.

Hours slide away as the pair makes march through the rising wasteland, seeking one of those better places that are forever just beyond the next peak. At length, they pause, eat meager rations, and then resume the unmade road. A dark stranger encounters them upon the path and promises danger in the coming time. He then tips his cap and resumes his daily journey counter of the sun.

As though the stranger’s warnings have summoned them to rise up from the very sands, a pair of bandits intercepts the man and the girl.

“She’ll be worth something in Bismarck,” comments one.

“And the man?” asks the other, eagerly fingering his gun.

“Ain’t not need for killin’,” says the first, “We can leave the messy business to the coyotes.”

The bandit’s hands reach for the child; Doc tries to draw his gun. The merciful outlaw smacks Doc soundly in the head with his rifle butt.

“Can’t you see I’m tryin’ to do ya’ a favor?”

Into the darkness with hope and love and faith disappear the bandits and the girl.​

coz1 - Well, Doc has been forced to run by killing Tate; he lacks proof that the outlaw was really a bad man. As for the reasons behind killing, the next segment of the story (as we quickly build toward the conclusion) actually contains something of Chester's justification for the Indian war. It involves the principle of inevitability

stnylan - Thanks; I didn't intend for the posts to contrast the attitudes of my characters toward death, but now that I read them together I realize that they do share some common discussion. I guess my subconscious had a plan of its own. :)

Montana Territory: August 14, 1871
Governor Harold Wilks’ dreams, held tenuously within reality by coercion and luck, are beginning to fade back into the abyss of intangibility. Everything is going to hell, and control of the situation evades the untrained politician. Thus, struck heavily by indecision, Wilks can not even determine upon a proper position for his hands. They carefully make sure the fabric of his fine suit is smoothed into place and then wander toward the cutlery. Meanwhile, lines of stress – reminders that the governorship brings more than just power and prestige unto a man - cut deep into his face.

Across the dinner-table from the fearful leader sits Captain Chester, ever the stoic military man. Though the soldier feels many indistinct and unknown emotions in his breast – a twinge of grief, perhaps a dash of moral uncertainty – a façade of apathy is all he emotes. Chester observes with apprehension the harried features of his host. Silently, the captain acknowledges that the provincial governor is perhaps the worst person for the task at hand, and wonders how he was tricked into supporting the appointment of Wilks to the territory’s highest position. . . Maybe the drinking is starting to take a toll on judgment.

Eventually, the captain comes to a conclusion that any man can be a skilled manipulator when there’s no danger afoot. What separates Wilks from Chester is that, while the governor shrinks into the shadows for fear of being killed, the soldier brazenly – some says foolishly – steps in front of the cannons. Combat brings everything into focus for Chester. He realizes now that this Indian war might have been averted, that all of God’s creatures might have lived in peace. Likewise, he understands that the cogs have already been set in motion and that there is no way to turn back. The current course – the one stained by violence, hate, prejudice – must be carried out to extreme or death accepted with open arms. Blood is inevitable either way.

“You have a choice, Governor,” says Chester at last, “You can retreat and give concessions to the Indians, or you can let me call in more volunteers and troops from down south to wage a total war.”

Uncertain, Wilks asks, “Can you win the war? Without a shadow of a doubt, can you?”

”We’ll win the war. . . I can’t say that we’ll win this series of battles, but the overall conflict between civilization and savagery has already been resolved as a victory for us. . . This doesn’t mean we ain’t liable to die if I flame up the frontier. It just means that – someday – our progeny ‘ll win the war for sure.”

The governor doesn’t like this answer. He wants to say no to Chester's plans of war, but senses that the captain won’t take such for an answer. He meekly acquiesces at long last. The Indian tribes of Montana are slated for immediate destruction.

An hour later, as Chester exits the Governor’s home, the captain hopes that history will recognize his trepidation and not condemn him for what his actions did. The soldier need not worry, for recorders of the past have a peculiar talent for making the victor’s action seem just: even if those people wouldn’t have wanted such.​

Everything in the world is building toward something. An entity so large and seemingly unrestrained as mankind simply cannot exist for the sake of existing. A goal, a time and place of revelation, is approaching, and men may at last see the folly in their ways. The clouds will be swept away. Then – bathed in the cool white light of understanding – we will understand that the old plans for solving problems were wrong. One cannot escape the hardships of their life merely by running away from them. Ultimately, all turmoil, regardless of whether it propagates from within or without the individual soul, must be stared down. Until the day when some hero boldly steps before the monster of destiny and defiantly declares his freedom from the bonds of ancient sinew, the actors of history will continue to blunder through chaos.

Now, consider if you will the fate of a hapless soul caught up within the greater plan of mankind, our hero Doc. He is - in no uncertain terms - a sinner, for he has taken others lives for purposes beyond the reasonable. However, he is not a heatless sociopath. Within the eyes of a young orphan, he finds himself after many years of being lost within a wilderness of regret. Alas! This comfort is short-lived, for the child is torn from Doc’s repentant hands. Angry, lost, bitter the listless man reconciles himself in fierce drinks until a group of unscrupulous fellows, seeking a unhonest dollar, trick a drunken Doc into entering the service of the military, and disengage the luckless man from his signing bonus.

Thus, Doc is thrown unceremoniously into the world’s eternal march toward some uncertain end. In this case, the nearing stepping-stone to oblivion is a conflict between the rouge Cheyenne leader Tamílapéšni and the brutal American military man Aldo Chester. The two forces align themselves upon the plains of Montana, which are otherwordly in their blankness. Everyone is tense and prepared for battle.

Doc thinks, as he readies himself for combat, that there will probably be nothing left after the nearing confrontation, after the end. The profound destiny toward which all people are racing is nullity; it is destruction by their own hand. Or so he thinks.

Montana Territory: August 25, 1871
Doc lies awake through the night, listening to the howling of the unrestrained wind and wondering about the fate of the orphan child. He envisions her – robbed of innocent life - dead within a shallow gave. Though he tries to be optimistic, the torn and frayed man can not conjure an image of the orphaned child wrapped in the arms of some loving family. The method of his separation from her and the terrors of Doc’s past do not allow for hope. And so – almost lost entirely to the demons of his past – the physician turned soldier pulls out his rosary. Prayer is difficult.

He does not expect a miracle. He almost hopes that one will not come, that he will die in the coming battle, be sent to heaven, and find the girl up there. But yet persists Doc’s innate human urge to keep living. He fears what comes after the darkness. Most folks do. Thus, though he prays, Doc is not sure for what he asks. Every segment of his soul is torn between the urge to die and the desire to continue breathing.

* * * * *​

Morning comes and with it the promise of death. Doc rises from his place upon the soil, content with the thought that he may soon fall back down upon it. He awaits his orders; receives them dutifully. Lost within the gray mist of his sad contemplations, Doc mounts a sturdy horse and readies his gun for wicked work.

The music of war and death compels Doc’s steed to lurch forward. He accepts this motion and slides into the darkness of battle, wherein all the colors of life merge into one: red. Blood flows freely onto the sacred Cheyenne soil. Bodies, both tanned and pale, fall down to the ground.

Doc steals a life, narrowly avoids the theft of his own. Yet, however, he feels naught but his past sadness. No fear arises into his mind apropos of the deadly dance which he is stumbling through. Reality is an afterthought. Doc is lost, for he has abandoned hope. A belief that this war, all this pain, may someday end no longer resides within his chest. He has been at long last hallowed out by the misplacement of a young child, who he was growing to love, to think of as his own of blood.

That the haggard man is no longer sure whether he wants to continue to live is a summoning horn for wandering bullets, which sense that by entering Doc’s warm flesh they may spare another soul more worthy to live from a bloody fate. The metal comes on like a soothing rain.

The sun sets over Eden.​

The End.

Last edited:
Well, that’s the end of the story, which was based upon a fun game I played as the USA. During the game, I spent a lot of time dealing with issues in the West, like a series of wars in Mexico. While I did not really talk about those events here, this AAR's story – which I now fear lacks proper focus – kind of formed in my head while I was dealing with expanding the Union.

Anyway, I enjoyed writing this piece even though I had a fair bit of trouble doing such. (Writing long stories has never been a talent of mine.) Ultimately, thanks for reading! :)

A rather sad ending but the entire piece had the sense of foreboding and ruin to it. If anything, it was told well and the theme remained constant throughout.

Congrats on finishing and here's to seeing a new one soon. Thanks for the read! :)