• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just a little comment about the "no defending stack penalty" thing, if the defender is stacking a gigantic amount of divs in one province, naturally his front will weaken in other places, and since movement is attack now those weaknesses will be exploited immediately. That is i think one of the drawbacks of the new system, the second any weakness is shown theres an all out attack. Its like HOI1 combat on crack! :rofl:

wolf52 said:
Just a little comment about the "no defending stack penalty" thing, if the defender is stacking a gigantic amount of divs in one province, naturally his front will weaken in other places, and since movement is attack now those weaknesses will be exploited immediately. That is i think one of the drawbacks of the new system, the second any weakness is shown theres an all out attack. Its like HOI1 combat on crack! :rofl:

I dont thinks so - I think it will be harder to break through since you can keep lines of 24's on each terrain with the reserves command - as soon as somebody attacks the middle field they will start moving to that attacked province and engage anybody that arrives there. After that prompty move back. Since they move at 3 times the speed this moght be hard to counter..

F

wolf52 said:

TBH I like the 'combat on crack'. Desperately ordering divisions to Support Defence in one area then five hours later shovelling another Corps into Supprt Defence the second place the AI attacks and also ordering your half-rested tank divisions into a counterattack on a third sector to draw enemy troops away is not only passably realistic, it's quite fun too.

Also to back up your point about stacks. Given the number of provinces it is very easy to fully encircle any given province. There are quite large penalties both for encirclement, for lack of supply, and for having no retreat. In one demo game 20 allied divisions got stuck in Leeuwarden on the Dutch coast. I eliminated them in one game hour so didn't get to see the penalties they had.

Was the whole thing about staffing an HQ with a General or FM a piece of misinformation or is it the other benefits of the HQ (increased beneficial special events) that are increased?

grumbold said:
Was the whole thing about staffing an HQ with a General or FM a piece of misinformation or is it the other benefits of the HQ (increased beneficial special events) that are increased?

Misinformation. 100% sure.

F

EDIT Sorry misunderstood - HQ's need to be attached to an G or FM to give their double CPC ability.

Last edited:
One man's misinformation is another man's facts. Be careful about professing 100% certainties about something of which you have only had a glimpse. :)

Fiendix said:
Misinformation. 100% sure.

F

I've heard more than one beta say that the HQ wont give bonuses without at least a General in command. Are you sure about this Fiendix ?

TheLand said:
TBH I like the 'combat on crack'. Desperately ordering divisions to Support Defence in one area then five hours later shovelling another Corps into Supprt Defence the second place the AI attacks and also ordering your half-rested tank divisions into a counterattack on a third sector to draw enemy troops away is not only passably realistic, it's quite fun too.

Also to back up your point about stacks. Given the number of provinces it is very easy to fully encircle any given province. There are quite large penalties both for encirclement, for lack of supply, and for having no retreat. In one demo game 20 allied divisions got stuck in Leeuwarden on the Dutch coast. I eliminated them in one game hour so didn't get to see the penalties they had.

Dont get me wrong i think its a great improvement too, but its gonna take a little getting used to. I can chuck all my HOI 1 tactics out the window right now!

okay sorry I seem to have misunderstood. What I understood about the question was the fact that HQ's that are commanded by FM's let say with an off trait and an skill eg 4 have an effect on neighbouring units.. :p

thats why I wrote in the FAQ

3.4 It does not matter what leader you put in charge of the HQ - there are no extra
bonuses to any of the other formations from the traits or skills of the leader in
charge of the HQ.

SORRY for the confusion. :eek:

Its true that HQ do not double the CPC of a MJ or LT UNLESS there is a FM present. Thus if you attack from one territory with an GEN with a HQ and from another territory with an LT you will have a stack CPC of 24 in total...

Sorry :p

EDIT - oki fixed and added 3.6.. Hope that rehabilitates me a little :p . Please do point out anything else thats wrong.. maybe somebody can give me the formula for gaining exp???

Last edited:
Fiendix said:
okay sorry I seem to have misunderstood. What I understood about the question was the fact that HQ's that are commanded by FM's let say with an off trait and an skill eg 4 have an effect on neighbouring units.. :p

thats why I wrote in the FAQ

3.4 It does not matter what leader you put in charge of the HQ - there are no extra
bonuses to any of the other formations from the traits or skills of the leader in
charge of the HQ.

SORRY for the confusion. :eek:

Its true that HQ do not double the CPC of a MJ or LT UNLESS there is a FM present. Thus if you attack from one territory with an GEN with a HQ and from another territory with an LT you will have a stack CPC of 24 in total...

Sorry :p

And you wont get the combat event multiplier without at least a General in command.

steveh11 said:
Fiendix: I'd like to say "Thank you" for compiling this.

Steve.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Will do the sea and air once the game comes out - as its too much for me to do at the moment plus of course I cant do the sea as there are no ships in the scenario :p

F

Fiendix said:
Thanks I appreciate it.

Will do the sea and air once the game comes out - as its too much for me to do at the moment plus of course I cant do the sea as there are no ships in the scenario :p

F

perhaps we should ask for another christmass present? ;)

Robert Koop said:
Great work, Fiendix. A small addition, the fortress buster decreases the effectivity of fortresses by 25% as opposed to 50% in HOI I. Fortresses give a 9,9% penalty to the attacker for each level, this was 9% in HOI I.

Robert - the txt file in the db folder says that the penalty is 9% per level - so I dont know how you got 9.9%? Also Sufiy says that for armour its greater - however I cant find any such proof. Can you look into that again?

Thanks

F

Fiendix said:
what do you mean.. the combat modifiers will not multiply but subtract if there is no G or FM?

F

Combat units have a base percent chance to get a combat event during a combat which is inherintley low. When i posted my Land doctrine path comparisons the HQ units also give you a combat event mulitplier. Example a combat between unit A and B. Unit A on its own will have say a 2% for a combat event. If the unit is within the range of a HQ unit with a FM or General in charge it will have 2X the chance to score an event. So if unit A is within a HQ range then it will have a 4% chance to get a combat event. If the HQ didnt have a sufficient leader then they wouldn't get the event multiplier or the ESE bonus.