• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, I'm cool with mocking the bullshit Romanticised and often made up Victorian stuff of my own culture and putting some actual (or as accurate as we currently know) stuff in there but hitting on the welsh would be punching down, not up, and about a culture I don't really know enough about to make fun of.

I’m Welsh, so I have a particular view of the culture/nation debate (and the modern position of stuff like romanticised druidism within that), but aye, best steered clear of otherwise.

Powys is a really important duchy though, not just as an independent realm but it'll also form the core of any ckii welsh kingdom, and especially in this case because Gwynedd and Anglesey is staying under lancaster legally. I'll probably give it to a very reliable character whose close to or in the line of sucession. If lancaster ever becomes an empire, it'll probably be the personal fife of the Queen/King of Wales.

Glad to here the Lancasters are happy to allow a legally distinct Welsh polity. (A thousand curses upon the Tudors, etc etc etc.)

One other thing to note for readers: ckii has a post 1066 Norman view of gender and gender dynamics as a default, due to that being the default start date. Naturally, this is quite inaccurate for late 8th and early 9th century anglo-saxon realms. To make it closer to historical terms, I made it so women can inherit on the same grounds as men and hold titles and land should I deem to grant it them. As the Lancasters incidentally have a lot more daughters than sons, this will mean more duchess and queens than you might expect.

This is a good move. Will be nice to have some non-male regent Lancasters in due course.

I’m Welsh, so I have a particular view of the culture/nation debate (and the modern position of stuff like romanticised druidism within that), but aye, best steered clear of otherwise.

I'm Anglo-Irish, so whilst have more of a problematic relationship with parent cultures, there is a lot more postcolonial study on the topic. Suffice to say, I was disposed to bring in magical users outside Saxon traditions, because most of the famous Ines are (Merlin for example) but just avoid the Druidic and Celtic stuff altogether because...well, even calling them that leads to certain imaginings in the minds of most readers. I'll probably go for a more universal standard high medieval European realm of magic, which has its own problems when applied to, say, pre-Christian Norse magic users, but mostly just lets us be fun with everything.

In general, magic is actually pretty egalitarian and beneficial most of them time broadly speaking across medevial Europe, with most 'bad things' happening because someone other than the practioner did something stupid/immoral, or because horrible monster happens and the villagers need some firepower to get rid of it (if a wandering saint isn't around).

Glad to here the Lancasters are happy to allow a legally distinct Welsh polity. (A thousand curses upon the Tudors, etc etc etc.)

I imagine it will happen out of necessity. There is Lancaster, essentially an entirely privately owned kingdom ruled by the head of the Lancaster family, and then all the kingdoms surrounding it that are ran by their family, and answer to the King in the North. Because the coast of Wales is fairly accessible and has close ties to Lancaster, no one will be too worried about it (they'll be like lowland Scotland if you will) but Powys will be a fairly independent and isolated beast, so they'll stick the crown there to keep the potentially rebellious areas under control. They can't be the same kingdom as the Mercians though, both because of geography and culture, so Wales sans the northern coastline and Anglesey will be selerate from what's will presumably become...hmm, what should we call England? Saxony? Anglia? Bascially smashing the island into easily rulable chunks that make some sense culturally and geographically. One for north of Lancaster, one for the south, and one for Wales.

So long as the Welsh are paying their taxes and keeping the Irish Sea clear on their side, the lancastrians will probably leave them be after the rest of the island is taken. As Pip says, it's not a particularly wealthy area and loses a lot of strategic importance when Lancaster eventually extends south to Cornwall and east to Mercia.

Where Ireland fits into this I don't know. There's isn't much of a reason to invade and annex bits...but I'm unsure if the Lancasters will be content with keeping a dozen tributaries on the island to keep track of. I might let them amalgamate into one or two bigger realms over time, and take things from there. Obviously if something happens like Vikings setting up colonies or the French invading then the lancastrians will react differently.

Would like to here people's thoughts on this, and the plan to divide up the island of Great Britian?

This is a good move. Will be nice to have some non-male regent Lancasters in due course.

Wasn't necessarily what I had in mind, but I was interested to find that having made the inheritance change, you could suddenly grant land to unlanded daughters and other women, which you can't normally. So with a load of daughters of Lancaster having strong, genius traits etc...Elfwine is going to take every advantage. Because of how I've laid out conquest plans, what with Wales coming after Northumbria on the annex list, it's probably that the earliest Lancastrian rulers of Wales will be women not men.

the Bishop of Furness rose with a squeak.
Bear Guard, now Mouse Clerics. Quite a diverse court these days. :D
Picture limit is 20 per update. So split the chapter. Lots of maps and characters today.
I think (in fact, am certain) it is 35 pics per update. Maybe used to be 20, once upon a time?

On Wales: if the bits left in the middle are not going to be too much trouble or distraction, then I’d back Rambunctious and go for the coastal bits. Is it part of a longer plan to build strength before taking Mercia down a peg or two - is there not the strength at the moment to go for that main threat first up?

Bear Guard, now Mouse Clerics. Quite a diverse court these days. :D

Alas, mice are still absent from CKII. Could be one of the more cunning hedgehogs I suppose...

I think (in fact, am certain) it is 35 pics per update. Maybe used to be 20, once upon a time?

Oh...we really should update the screenshot tutorial. I think it was less in 2016 at least, which led to quite a few strangely cut chapters of various AARs as I recall.

On Wales: if the bits left in the middle are not going to be too much trouble or distraction, then I’d back Rambunctious and go for the coastal bits.

They can't really do much in game terms except serve as impetus for defensive pacts (which naturally, they did). They can't raid and they're Christian, so there isn't much reason to go after these small county realms aside for a sense of completion. So I doubted the Lancasters would bother, at least until they were provoked.

Is it part of a longer plan to build strength before taking Mercia down a peg or two - is there not the strength at the moment to go for that main threat first up?

As said above in comments, the general idea Elfwine has for Wales is to eventually split it into three duchies, two on the coast and one for the interior, all ruled by his family. It would also later on probably be its own seperate kingdom from whatever lands Lancaster has in OTL England, again mostly because of the terrain issues.

Elfwine is currently trying not to fall into bad habits, so attacking only the places he absolutely has to in order to maintain Lancaster. So he's keeping up the economic domination of the east coast of Ireland, simulated through ingame bribery and tributary wars. Resolving the chaotic northern border with Northumbria and the migrant crisis by attempting to vassalise the current ruling lords there, take control of their economy (and potential farmland) and stop their frankly idiotic wars of expansion against Pictland. Finally in a bit of a sideshow, trying to resolve the Welsh issue by just taking the actually valuable and easily accessible coastline without committing to a full occupation. This fairly light touch approach to foreign policy naturally is going to cause its own problems, of course.

As for Mercia, Lancaster already took them down a peg during their civil war, when Elfwine forced the queen to pay tribute to his dad, at least for a while. Mercia does still remain the largest and potentially most powerful force on the island but unlike Lancaster, has a lot of internal stability problems and doesn't have a lot of wealth. Thus, despite various old fears of several members of the wittenmagot, most recognise that Mercia has bigger problems than Lancaster at the moment, and isn't capable of launching an attack themselves directly at the kingdom. So, they can safely look to increasing their own strength in the north, whilst trying to make sure the mercians don't get very far with their own Welsh invasion plan (which is pretty much the biggest reason why Lancaster is bothering with ideas of conquering Wales for itself rather than keeping the separate bits as tributaries).

If we really wanted to, we could tribute Mercia. But at this stage in the game, everyone except the largest empires and merchant republics is land rich and money poor, so we wouldn't get much tribute out of them anyway. I think Lancaster in general, and Elfwine in particular, knows that they are heading for a collision with Mercia and the southern lands eventually, but they'd rather secure all their other interests first. South of Mercia's border regions with Lancaster, the population is much larger, wealthier and better connected to the continent. Elfwine knows he won't be ableto rule it all by himself and currently doesn't have a big family he can entrust the land to.

He's bascially gambling that he can clean up the north, build a dynasty and return his attention south before Mercia becomes a problem again.

Reactions:
Chapter 14: Elfwine becomes a King, again
Chapter 14: Elfwine becomes a King, again

Ida sat quite comfortably in her husband’s chambers. He was busily scrawling away at his writing desk, the fire roaring away behind him. That was quite the thing by itself, she thought. After several weeks in Lancaster, still she came across many things that astonished and astounded her. The hall in Lancaster, as well as many of the buildings in the city, all had this curious fireplace, with a tall tunnel above it that sucked the soot and smoke away from the room, whilst retaining the heat. Heavens know how Elfwine found such a design but simple as it was it made everything so much more comfortable in the deep winter that they were in. Especially with her condition being what it was.

“Are you alright?” she asked, observing her husband’s face fall into a frown. He had paused in his letters upon some missive and stared down at it with curious emotion.

pniTHM6fj

“I am fine,” he said, looking up and offering a quick smile. “The Emperor of the Romans is soon to be wed to Wilfred, now she enters her maidenhood.”

Ida gasped. “I can hardly believe such a thing. How on earth did your father manage such a feat?”

pnAeoqRTj

Elfwine smiled, a little wider, a little more warmly. “He didn’t, I suspect, mean to do so well as he did. Christophoros comes from a rather unfortunate family, and was a third son of the brother of the Emperor at the time. Still, to go through not one but four emperors in so short a period cannot be good.” He frowned again. “I shall have to send another agent to check on things. Not that I can do much of course but the fate of Christendom rests upon the walls of Constantinople.”

“I am surprised you had already sent one?” Ida queried.

Elfwine turned this time, blinking in surprise. “You are? Do they no longer speak of Secret’s escapades?”

“Yes but,” she laughed, “you can hardly believe them. Otherwise the papacy would…” She tailed off at the smile tugging at Elfwine’s lips. “…it is all true?”

“Oh goodness no, not all,” he laughed. “You should ask him of it sometime, it is quite the adventure. Or series of adventures. I had thought to write them down, once upon a time.” He fell once more into a solemn face, though this was one more familiar to Ida already. It seemed at times the King of Lancaster was prone to incredible bouts of Melancholy.

“He really set alight the Black Sea fleet?” Ida said after a moment. It did no good for a man to become entrapped with such thoughts after all.

“He did, though it was not as it sounds.” He shifted in his seat. “Honestly, his mission to that byzantine court was to provide as much distraction as possible for his underlings to canvas the place and make off with any such knowledge they could get their hands on. He is a most excellent spy, after all. We got so much: medical texts, Socratic dialogues, plays, poems…the formula,” he said under his breath, “and more besides. A most excellent visit, after all. It certainly saved…that is to say, will benefit Lancaster immensely in the future.”

pmXiApDsj

Her head spun with the knowledge. What an amazing assortment of creatures the Lancasters were. She was fortunate to be amongst them now. Her hand rested upon her midriff and she grimaced in shame. Elfwine would best be told, and have it be done sooner rather than later.

pmD9v1rHj

“I am with child, Elfwine,” she said.

He turned around again, and raised an eyebrow. “Well, I know I have done no such thing. And I know you have not known anyone since arrival in the city…a development from home then?”

Her gaze dropped, “Yes, she whispered. She did not know where to begin with it all.

A gentle touch met her hair and she stiffened. “It is just as well, but thank you for letting me know. I’m sure we can think of some arrangement, should the child survive.” He raised his other hand in placation when she looked up in alarm. “Calm yourself, I have no designs on their life. I am quite unsure what Frankish customs are, but here in Lancaster, children are quite sacred. Marriage…is less so,” he smiled at some late memory. “My own father was quite unusually monogamous. Grandfather however was censored by no less than the Archbishop of Germania for his proclivities.”

“Surely not!” she said, quite appalled.

“Oh, he was quite the busybody, I know for a fact Northumbria and Mercia got a few disappointed letters as well,” Elfwine chuckled. “We Saxons are a broody bunch, it seems. Speaking for myself, I never saw the appeal.”

“Never?” she could not help but ask, though she had seen how far his disregard went in this area already.

“Well,” he said quietly, “once…” He said no more for a time, turning around to stoke the fire. “I assume you are some way into pregnancy then?” He said from the grate.

“Yes.”

“Hmm. Not enough to show during the coronation, which is for the better. Our ways are one thing, but flaunting a full belly in front of the Pope is one amusement too far. He’ll have enough trouble with Secret.”

She giggled, a little uncertain still what was to be done. “My lord?”

poD45op9j

Elfwine turned and saw her fear still lingering in the shadow of the firelight. “Oh really, you worry so. The child will be fine, you will be fine, and soon to be Queen.

Ida released the worry within and sighed. “Thank you sire, you are gracious.”

pmfdvljZj

Elfwine snorted much like his bear and turned back to his desk. “What I am is busy, and worried for my sister. A new child, aside from their health, is no worry but a blessing, regardless of origin. Ah!” he said, pleased at last to see a letter, “the Pope has arrived in Kent and viewing Canterbury for but a while before making his way here. And he took the bribes most favourably. Excellent.”

“Bribes?” Ida said, a little shocked.

“Oh…papal donations, contributions to his cathedral fund, the poor tax, the holy tax, etcetera, etcetera. Really my dear Ida, he is the Bishop of Rome, not Jesus Christ. They’ve been trying to take control of Christianity since the Western Empire fell, and that requires plenty of gold.”

“Yes, but-”

“It isn’t all bribes,” he assured her, “just mostly. To be fair to him, he has to go out of his way, travel for months and handle two competing archbishops to get here. I have plenty of money.” He waved it away. “I just hope he doesn’t mind the Hall being full of bears…”

pnB24q51j
poPQnCnXj

How similar the day was, and yet so different? It was the dead of winter, not the sunny day of promise and delight. It was a different man as pope, a far holier man to be sure. A different bride stood by him too, and for a moment Elfwine took the time to pray for Leofrun and Bertrada, his two former queens. One had stood by him in life and rule for nigh on fifty years, whilst the other brought out something within him long thought lost forever: love.

pnX6dpT9j
pmr0iM8Ij

He was far more open and connected to the people around him than he had ever managed before. Children of all ages seemed to love nothing better than ask for his stories, whilst whenever he walked down the streets of Lancaster, the people spoke to him with great fondness, and he knew them all by sight if not as intimately as he might like. His reorganising of land into his own control and that of regional towns and cities had born great fruit, and at a time such as this all the Mayors flocked to the capital. A new face he had not yet met prior was proving most interesting. Eadweald was an excellent steward and diplomat for his age. The Archbishop of York and the Bishop of St. Peters, the patron saint of Lancaster, were also in attendance and forming ties. This was all to the benefit of the kingdom.

poMWKKHaj
poODyjqQj

Elfwine shook himself when he realised how happy he was, and how optimistic of the future, in sharp contrast to how he used to be. It seemed such a mood was infectious, as all in Lancaster seemed delirious in pride and joy these past few days. Even the wittenmagot chattered away with each other as friends, and Elfwine found himself much in agreement with his gathering of advisers. The bonds of friendship and family being promoted this day were a boon that would not soon be forgotten.

pmnhcgtBj

All too soon, the Hall filled with throngs of cheering crowds, noble and commoner alike. They were barely muted even by the arrival of the Bear Guard contingent, that marched through and lined the central walkway to the dais upon which the alter had been set. A respectful silence for the Papal procession ended with the arrival of the King and Queen of Lancaster, who took the wild cheers and yelling as graciously as one could.

As the crown met his head, and he rose to eye level with Anastasias, Elfwine found himself overwhelmed such as he had not been since his return to childhood. Ida’s hand sneaked into his own as she too rose with her coronet, and smiled a little at him. She was still worried about her child, he realised. And just as suddenly, he found he wished to tell her over and over that she had no need to be. He would love them as his own, and stay true to the teachings of his father in matters of ruling and of the heart. It truly was better, he knew, to be loved than feared. For all the greatness of Old Lancaster, it would struggle to fill a Hall with such cheer as this.

poGoUcQoj

He smiled back at his queen, and as one they turned to face the people of the kingdom they now ruled together.

“It will be alright,” he said quietly to her. “It will all be alright.”

Her hand squeezed his, her delight showed on her face, and in so doing, Elfwine found himself beaming too. Today was a great day to be alive.

• 2Like
Reactions:
A festive occasion all round. The occasional spot of levity suits our Elfwine.

A festive occasion all round. The occasional spot of levity suits our Elfwine.

A bit of merriment before he starts his reign proper. Which, despite all his growth, does involved quite a bit of furious violence and conquest. Great Britian gets a bit of respite as he ensures Ireland can 'cooperate' with Lancaster (by which he means they'll obey his commands) but he'll be back soon enough. Then again, he quite underestimates how unstable and chaotic the North really is, and that getting involved in the affairs of another realm puts you on a very slippery slope.

Wait, Lancaster has the recipe for Greek fire?

Also, nice to see how Elfwine has changed. Of course, the more things change, the more they stay the same, but it’s nice that he knows what love can do.

Reactions:
Wait, Lancaster has the recipe for Greek fire?

Well, they did in the other world. I don't know whether the mission went down exactly the same this time around.
Probably not though, because it doesn't have any mechanic for usage in game (no naval combat again...sigh) and is a little too gamebreaking for Lancaster to have right now. Sieges at this time were literally required for settlements that were defended in pretty much anyway in the British isles, unless you were willing to literally burn the place flat. None of this later storming the keep stuff. Giving Elfwine portable (ish) explosives is a little silly even for this aar.

But yes, initially it was going to be a useful writing tool for Lancasters advancement tech and culture wise over their neighbours (rather than the game itself which magically drains the tech knolwgede of wherever your spymaster is over time) but now it's actually an in-universe excuse for how Elfwine knows so much. It was also the initial plan for how Elfwine was going to die, after he somehow didn't die from the horrific injuries his son dealt him. Might get into that later on though.

Also, nice to see how Elfwine has changed. Of course, the more things change, the more they stay the same, but it’s nice that he knows what love can do.

It's surprisingly difficult to pin down exactly what the Saxons thought was acceptable/standard for housholds, marriges, children etc. There were a lot more bastards, multiple wives, sex in general etc. Of course, the high Middle Ages were hardly a beacon of sexual proclivity no matter what the church said (see Before Plantagenet) but in the dark ages, at least in Saxon lands, they just didn't seem to bother even pretending to go along with the more continental ideas of monogamy and chastity. The first archbishop of germania really did send a letter to Mercia complaining about wicked rumours of his ways, multiple times. Shows both how interconnected the church was even back then (gossip and letters travelled pretty fast) and that it was fully possible for rulers to not only openly have multiple wives and lines of children, but ignore the Church about it too.

Possible doesn't mean true in all cases of course but, really, given what Elfwine has done and been through, he doesn't have it in him to be cruel to children anymore.

I did keep expecting something dramatic to come up to ruin the big day, but it never came.

I'm also mildly surprised at Elfwine being so chilled about the incoming illegitimate spawn. Eldest child being someone elses bastard is going to be incredibly awkward should Elfwine have some legitimate kids, and even with his disinterest in the 'mechanics' of making more little people he is surely going to want to secure the succession. Not just for it's own sake or to make sure his work in Lancaster isn't lost, but to have a chance to do it 'right' this time.

I did keep expecting something dramatic to come up to ruin the big day, but it never came.

Bit of a cliche. There was a hint of it with worries about the papal party interacting with the bear guard but apparently it all went off without a hitch, as indeed usually happens in otl. No one is disputing Elfwine is deserving of the rank of King at this point Whether or not someone does eventually try to crash a Lancaster crowning, it is not today.

I'm also mildly surprised at Elfwine being so chilled about the incoming illegitimate spawn.

It has historical precedence. Certainly if this was francia or closer to the papal stares we'd have a bigger problem. As is, some people will be annoyed/outraged but not nearly so many. Actually legitimising the bastard however, would raise more than just eyebrows, and from Elfwine's own family as well as the church.

Not that he would ever do something so morally upstanding...right?

Eldest child being someone elses bastard is going to be incredibly awkward should Elfwine have some legitimate kids, and even with his disinterest in the 'mechanics' of making more little people he is surely going to want to secure the succession. Not just for it's own sake or to make sure his work in Lancaster isn't lost, but to have a chance to do it 'right' this time.

I have no idea who the dad is. The game engine will know, but the outer trappings don't show it (since she wasn't married at the time, there is no lover event to reveal). I am curious now you mention, so will look and see if it is anyone interesting. May do nothing with it however and just chalk it up as one win for Elfwine's good side. But yes, we could definitely make use of this later for drama.

Believe it or not though, the game seems to agree with my interpretation of saxon culture because absolutely no one in the immediate family, including further legitmate kids, have any ill will towards the child, which is of interest because that kid and the one born the year after (legitimately) are both male. So far as I am aware at this point, they all seem to be good friends (and elfwine has done a good job at keeping them all happy and equal in rank when time comes to landing them).

I have reached a natural stopping point in the game so we shall endeavour to catch up. At this point, I am willing to say that Elfwine so far did manage to have quite a few kids, as did Beor, and rules a substantially larger realm than at present. We have managed to avoid many internal issues but plenty of external challenge, which is nice. And naturally, because this is Elfwine, it all ended in horrific tragedy once again...

Well that was all pretty nice and wholesome. Even with a few flashbacks bringing on the melancholia.

And naturally, because this is Elfwine, it all ended in horrific tragedy once again...
But wait ... noooooooo

Well that was all pretty nice and wholesome. Even with a few flashbacks bringing on the melancholia.

But wait ... noooooooo

Yeah, try as I might, this is a cursed line of kings. Or Elfwine leads a cursed life, whichever is more accurate.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There is a new update written, but it'll have to wait for tomorrow. It's my father's birthday.

New characters, an unexpected meeting from the past and a view of Lancaster from an outsider's perspective.

Same bat-time, same bat-channel.

Edit: looking back through the thread discussion, I can also confirm that amaudru indeed sticks around and, unlike most CKII games, still has some interesting stuff to do...eventually.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 15: Encounter in the Forest
Chapter 15: Encounter in the Forest

pmWRTffAj

Styrkur breathed deeply in and out. The forest greeted him back once more into its depths like a beguiling mistress. He smelt fresh water from a stream not a few hundred yards away. He smelt the freshness of the undergrowth, crisp and preserved from weeks of snowfall. He smelt…his eyes narrowed slightly. He smelt a recently put-out fire.

So, there were strangers in the wood.

“Boy,” he murmured.

A youth of no more than seven perked up from a set of tracks driven into the sludge of snow and mud. “Father?”

“There are men in the forest. Be wary.”

“Sir.” He looked back down at the mess, having decided they were useful after all, and then pointed in the direction of, he hoped, deer.

“After it then. Carefully.”

The boy rolled his eyes but nodded dutifully. He was really such a small thing next to his father, who stood a man and a half high, and just the same wide. His glare, his axe and his beard merely affirmed the image of an apex predator who had deigned to babysit a rabbit.

“Who do you think they are?” the child said suddenly, conversationally, as they walked together down the path.

“Who?”

“The strangers.”

“Dangerous, potentially,” Styrkur said slowly. “Do not think on it. Think of deer.”

“There’s a group of them up ahead.”

“Are you sure?”

“Uh…yes?”

Styrkur hummed.

“Yes, definitely.”

“Good.” He knew it was so already, but the whole point of practice was that the boy was to learn. “Which will you shoot?”

“Uh…the male, like you said.”

“Good.”

The pair continued on, past a camp abandoned not a few hours before. Styrkur was surprised to see that the fire had been well made, well lit and then well beaten down by snow. Whomever wandered the woods, though they be no druid certainly, were clever in their craft. He frowned at the signs of clearly trampled and smoothed away snow. The strangers had covered their tracks as well. Most curious.

“Father, I found them,” his son manged to whisper and yell all at once. Styrkur roused himself from investigation and met his son. Yes, there were deer, quite a few in fact, just beyond them in the bushes.

“Move carefully, as you were shown.”

pnC6Cn0aj

The boy nodded, and lifted his bow carefully. It was too big for him by half, at least, but he made do. An arrow was notched, a breath was taken, and a shot was fired. Clean, smooth, accurate.

“Yes!”

The cry made him wince, but Styrkur could otherwise find no fault with his son’s method. Until he made his way to the animal’s side and found him still alive. Ah…then the lesson would be far harder, yet more impactful.

“You must finish him,” he said gently, crouching down next to the deer’s neck and holding the dying animal steady. He could see uncertainty, fear and sadness creeping into the edges of his son’s eyes like tears.

“I…”

“Robin,” his father said, “this creature is suffering. End it.”

The youth sank to his knees and tugged at his belt, removing a small knife. It shivered in the cold air. It plunged a little untidily into the deer’s neck, such that a little more blood than necessary would have spat out onto his face. His father’s hands were quick however and spared him that. The lesson was important, but there was no need for rampant cruelty.

“There,” Styrkur said calmly, resting his unbloodied hand on the lad’s shoulder. “It is over. And it is alright,” he held the boy close as a few tears dropped, melting small amounts of snow. He raised his red-filled hand. “Robin, you must look at this,” he insisted, gently. “This is blood, this is life. You took it to feed your own, for your family. And that is alright,” he said, shaking the boy’s shoulder a little, “but never forget the price. Only kill for food, and for self-defence. In time, killing an animal will not seem so hard, but never believe killing men will be easy, even if it is necessary.”

Robin stared up at him with wide eyes.

Styrkur sighed and crouched lower, to below his son’s eye level. “It is not easy, being a man in this world. You will have to fight to survive, by yourself and with trusted others. It will hurt, it will challenge you in every way. But the struggle is worth it. Everyone and everything you meet lives the struggle with you, and you must show respect for that. This creature’s path is over now, respect it.”

The boy nodded, then again more assuredly. “Yes father.”

“Good,” he cupped the small face and wiped a tear trac away. “Now, we can eat.”

As they trudged home, the young buck strung across Styrkur’s broad shoulders, Robin was solemn. His voice only returned to him when the woods began to clear and the sky shone brighter above.

“Father, do you really think it was right to kill that deer?”

Styrkur’s stride did not pause. “I do. The only thing you did wrong, was to fire before committing to the deed.”

“Huh?”

“You shot the arrow. The deer lay dying. Why did you not kill it at once?”

The boy shuffled his feet awkwardly and said nothing.

“Think of that which you do, Robin. You aim your bow at a creature, man or beast, be prepared to fire and kill him. Do not do so merely because someone told you to, then back away from the deed afterwards. Such things are wicked and cowardly.”

“But you told me-”

“And you listen, not because I am an experienced hunter and we were on a hunt, but because I am your father and you love me.” He paused and looked at his son, “That is not wrong, but you obeyed for the wrong reason.”

“You said listening was important.”

“It is. To good orders and advice from those you trust. To everything else, take an ear but be mindful. Blind obedience, even to a cause you think righteous, has led to greater evil than the truly wicked men of the world.”

“Well said.”

The foreign voice cut through the air like sharpened steel and even amongst Styrkur’s sudden thoughts of surprise and panic, he was proud of his son’s reflexes. An instant after the stranger spoke, a shaft shot through the air towards him.

“Nice shot.”

Fire and ice flowed through Styrkur’s veins as he watched as his boy’s arrow flew true, and was intercepted at the last possible instant from embedding into the hooded stranger’s eye. He had caught it, almost casually, with a flick of the wrist.

Now, Styrkur had travelled far and wide. He had fought many monsters and menfolk from across the lands and seas. He knew what a man could and could not do. It was a somewhat popular carnival trick, amongst some peoples, for an archer and partner of great skill and trust to fire and catch an arrow aimed for the chest. But it was a slowly fired event, at a medium distance with forewarning. No man could effortlessly pluck from afore his left eye a killing shot like that.

pooQ0eCVj

He was dealing with something merely cloaked in humanity.

“Boy, run,” he spat out, as he let loose the deer corpse and handled his axe. Robin bolted obediently. He thanked whatever gods there were for that.

“Interesting,” the stranger said, cocking his head. “Now this, I was not expecting.”

“What do you want?” Styrkur growled. “Whatever it is, I do not have it.”

You do not.”

This was entirely the wrong thing to say, and the stranger paid for it quickly. A mighty blow from a great fist struck at the man’s head. In a flash, the stranger staggered backwards, gasping a little. Styrkur flexed his fingers and frowned. That had been too easy. Still, it was gratifying to know the threat was flesh and blood, at least of a kind.

“That’s a firm hand you have there,” the hooded man straightened. “Perhaps I was mistaken…” He tilted his head again, and as fast as a cold breeze blew across the space between them and smashed an elbow in the other man’s face. Now it was Styrkur who stumbled, stunned at the power behind the blow.

“Impressive,” the figure said carelessly, as his target regained his footing and smeared away a thin dot of blood. “Most impressive,” he said as Styrkur growled at him again.

“You do not want this fight.”

“Fight? My dear sir, this is mere play.”

It was at that point Styrkur began to feel a small twinge of fear. The being was far too confident in stance, in action. Whilst he was fully confident in his ability to kill this creature, he was now no longer sure it would not end him at the same time.

“Please,” he ground out, love for his family overcoming pride, “I have no desire for this fight.”

The hooded stranger laughed. Loudly, coldly, like the ice on a river cracking in springtime heat. “You are everything he ever spoke of,” he said, almost fondly. “Have no fear, you shall not die today. But I would speak with your-”

“Never,” the father sprang into action again, bringing his axe down with almighty strength upon the man’s side, catching his arm that flung out to forestall it. With a roar, he threw the figure through the forest and away with all his power. The man flew through tree and rock, smashing through bush and causing a raucous of bird and beast screams as the peace of the land was disturbed. Finally, he heard the thud and crack of a distant rock ending the shallow flight. An owl, disturbed by the din, drew down upon a nearby branch and ruffled its feathers.

“Sorry,” Styrkur grunted, clearly not so.

The owl glared at him in reproach, before flying off.

A man in impossible white appeared shortly afterwards, his robes practically glowing in vibrance such that the fresh snow seemed dull.

“Was all that strictly necessary?” he asked calmly.

“He threatened the boy.”

“Ah,” the man turned and looked along the path of destruction, with eyes keener than any mortal. “You threw him quite the distance, but not far enough it seems.”

“If he dares return…”

“My dear boy,” the Father Druid said, turning back to him, “do you know who that was?”

“A demon, I think. Some dark and wicked thing.”

A dry, coughing chuckle came from the other. “Indeed,” he replied, “I must tell Rambunctious that one.”

“You know of him?”

“As do you. He was once the King in the North, and soon will be again.”

Styrkur ceased breathing heavily from his exertion, only to sigh in annoyance. “Of course,” he muttered, “it would be He.”

“No, it would be I,” the stranger returned, hood down, strolling through the forest as though his limbs were not dashed to pieces and his innards a pile of mush. “Frightfully good throw,” he shrugged, as he grasped his left arm and cracked it back into place. “If you’ve scarred my face, my wife will be on you like a hawk.” He glanced over at the being in white. “Hi Grumbles.”

Wumble-Grumble, the Father Druid, the last great pagan in the islands of Britannia, smiled and raised an arm in greeting. “Well met Elfwine, although I do wonder how your arm feels?”

“Murder,” the king said drily. “You son is quite safe by the way. Secret should have caught up to him by now.”

It was no comfort to the confused father when moments later the squealing delight of a child could be heard as a bear that dwarfed himself bounded into the clearing. He quickly withdrew Robin from the creature and pulled him safely behind.

“Really now,” Elfwine started, but the Father Druid shushed him. Secret snorted in amusement. “Yes, my arm is fine, thank you ever so,” Elfwine replied. “You kept him alright?”

The bear nodded solemnly, then nodded again at Styrkur before licking Grumble.

“Be off with you,” he swatted, smiling at the great bear. Secret smiled widely at him and sat down comfortably in the snow.

“Anyway, Secret and I were just passing through the woods on our way to intercept an Irish brigand. It seems some amongst their people take exception to Lancaster handling their affairs.”

“Astonishing,” Styrkur said flatly.

poKVapNvj
poOTuzaEj

“Isn’t it? Anyway, the army left some time ago under Middlesbrough and Macclesfield to the southern crossing with Ireland. I cannot be away long from Lancaster when my wife is swollen with child, but my good brother joined them on their quest as he did once before.” The man smiled, and Styrkur narrowed his gaze on the sharp white teeth and cold eyes of the king that glowed ever so briefly when speaking of his kin. Even the wolf had a heart, perhaps.

“You think to match the Irish on their own?” he said, “and here rather than your own lands?”

“Certainly not!” Elfwine seemed affronted. “This is a Lancaster matter and we will draw them over to our lands first. Then again,” he glanced around the wood, “I am surprised this area is so peaceful. Is there not revolt in these lands?”

“Not here.”

“I see,” the king peered at him with those eyes again, and Styrkur felt surprisingly violated under such a gaze.

pmg6KVrLj

“I would advise you to look elsewhere,” the old man said quietly. When Elfwine raised an eyebrow towards him, the Father Druid chuckled. “It seems the Irish are a little more determined than you thought. And organised. Your men are in Ireland but the enemy is over here, running wild through Anglesey.”

Elfwine frowned, “We had heard of a group coming through these parts?”

“They have, and moved south already to Lancaster. You are not so out of place that you cannot catch them before they reach the city, however North Wales is said to be aflame in many areas.”

The king thought a little to himself, then looked at Secret. “No matter, we shall be off. Though it was…interesting as I said, to meet you. And you,” he said to the pair of natives, before nodding to Grumble and setting off back through the wreckage of the forest.

“Bye!” shouted Robin to Secret, and the bear blinked at him softly and huffed a goodbye of his own.

“Well, that went well,” Grumble said happily, before vanishing to wherever it was he went. Styrkur looked after him dourly. Wizards were always so aggravating.

“Father?” Robin tugged at the man’s sleeve as he bent to pick up the forgotten deer. “Did he really know us? How exciting!”

“Yes,” Styrkur said, as they made their way home once again. Elfwine did seem to know…the boy. Now why was that, he wondered. And why did the air claw more icily around his chest at the thought.

Okay, why does Elfwine know the kid? Past life?

And Styrkur... that is because you are afraid...

A strange family this, and not just because of Elfwine and Wumble-Grumble's interest in them. The names are intriguing, you have the norse/Icelandic named Styrkur and his son Robin (Robert?) which is a lot more continental Europe. It is possible I am overthinking it, but there is a mismatch there that might be significant.

Elfwine still needs to work on his diplomacy I see, but at least he is making a bit of an effort so I suppose that counts as progress.

It seems Lancastrian cosmopolitanism doesn't just extend to the curious cast of gods, wizards, druids and bears. That is, as has been readily pointed out already, an intriguing mix of names we've got ourselves with Styrkur and Robin.

I enjoy Wumble-Grumble's entrance.

Okay, why does Elfwine know the kid? Past life?

And Styrkur... that is because you are afraid...

You might assume so.

I had to do quite a bit of arguing with two friends of old norse bent over Styrkur. We needed the very specific meaning of a word to be a name. This is what we settled on, and there is a five pound note riding on whether anyone will show up and say we got it foolishly mixed up.

The names are intriguing, you have the norse/Icelandic named Styrkur and his son Robin (Robert?) which is a lot more continental Europe. It is possible I am overthinking it, but there is a mismatch there that might be significant.

No, you're on the right lines here. Although you are overthinking a little since you slightly overleaped the obvious with one of the names.

Elfwine still needs to work on his diplomacy I see, but at least he is making a bit of an effort so I suppose that counts as progress.

He needs to work on his entrances I think. Randomly popping up only really works for wizards.

It seems Lancastrian cosmopolitanism doesn't just extend to the curious cast of gods, wizards, druids and bears. That is, as has been readily pointed out already, an intriguing mix of names we've got ourselves with Styrkur and Robin.

Interesting how everyone caught this bit especially. To add a little more info, this family lives (technically) in Northumbria but as you can see, on the border and in open revolt (and this revolt has an amusing backstory we'll get to later). But neither parent is from there, as you can all tell.

I enjoy Wumble-Grumble's entrance

Magic users just appear when they want to in any story they are in, and are always so well dressed. He's a bit more of a soft touch compared to Rambuctious' fireballs and explosions but still in this AAR, which means he may be a little mad, superpowered or both.

No, you're on the right lines here. Although you are overthinking a little since you slightly overleaped the obvious with one of the names.
Ahh of course Robin -> Batman. You can't get more obvious than that.
DYAEiOu.gif