• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Read through all of this in one sitting. Good stuff.

I'm seeing an "I am the state" vibe here.

Bears and Dragons live upon those fair Isles?

Nice royal marriages... truly your house will become renowned throughout the world! Although the French one apparently backfired...

It seems that a pious dynasty rules in England...

The Norse faith is reformed now? Are there no old Norse left?

Your realm is doing extremely well, it seems.

Elfwine and Leofrun are a good match... there're both equally paranoid, it seems.

Hello there! Good to see you.

I'm seeing an "I am the state" vibe here.

Certainly, he demands nothing less.

Bears and Dragons live upon those fair Isles?

And everything else. All medieval myths are true in this AAR. It allows me to use the truly bizarre and hilarious methods they used to stop these creatures attacking them. Bears were there in the game though and they fit very well the edge-of-Christianity vibe Lancaster and the north have. Bears were the most important animal in Europe pre-Christ, not lions. Thus thy love them, have them on their flag and call their ruler the Bear.

Nice royal marriages... truly your house will become renowned throughout the world! Although the French one apparently backfired...

That was an older save but yes, the french connection never seems to end up working out. We do manage a few other high end connections later on, but they offer their own issues.

The Norse faith is reformed now? Are there no old Norse left?

Yes they just fight amongst each other as well as francia.

Your realm is doing extremely well, it seems.

Still early days and a small duchy but rich, which is a solid foundation.

Elfwine and Leofrun are a good match... there're both equally paranoid, it seems.

Yes I think so.

So what I think happened over the last few chapters starting with the secret storyline was that the aar fluctuates between intense grimdark and absurdist comedy. And it really should be one or the other, and I think humour is the way to go. Thoughts everyone?

So what I think happened over the last few chapters starting with the secret storyline was that the aar fluctuates between intense grimdark and absurdist comedy. And it really should be one or the other, and I think humour is the way to go. Thoughts everyone?
Absurdist grimdark would be a fine compromise - same basic elements but done with style and a bit of madness and sarcasm to lighten the mood. ;)

But if it has to be one or other then I unhesitatingly pick comedy, for admittedy entirely selfish reasons. I've come to realise I don't enjoy reading serious narrative works about characters I don't like succeeding, no matter how well written they are. I've stopped following a few AARs for that very reason

Hence I'd much prefer the villain as an absolute ham, chewing through the scenery with style and sending his ursine minions off on ridiculous missions while quipping about the opponents in the dungeon. :)

Absurdist grimdark would be a fine compromise - same basic elements but done with style and a bit of madness and sarcasm to lighten the mood. ;)

But if it has to be one or other then I unhesitatingly pick comedy, for admittedy entirely selfish reasons. I've come to realise I don't enjoy reading serious narrative works about characters I don't like succeeding, no matter how well written they are. I've stopped following a few AARs for that very reason

Hence I'd much prefer the villain as an absolute ham, chewing through the scenery with style and sending his ursine minions off on ridiculous missions while quipping about the opponents in the dungeon. :)

I'm writing the battle of York now which is going to be more along comedy lines, and we can take I think from there. I suspect adopting a everyone is mad in different ways approach might work, or have a few normalish characters in the centre with the crazy all around them. Hamming it up should be fun too.

Again, some bad news everyone! In their continuing war against the forces of justice, Paradox have seen fit to delete once again all my CKII save games bar one, and one-upped their last attempt by then deleting CKII from my computer. Truly, their perfidious nature knows no bounds.

However, one game file still remains off the books: an old save of Lancaster just before Elfwine comes to power. So I should be able to roleplay exactly that happened up to and including the war for York. After that however, the screenshots again are going to be out of flux with gameplay reality.

Having gotten fed up with this happening, I actually went through and fixed the memory leak problem manually (yes, the CKII save deleting was a paradox issue. No idea why CKII itself got deleted though) so this shouldn't happen again unless paradox up their war even more. So, what I propose is that I get up to the point where York becomes part of Lancaster (which, for those of you who don't play CKII, grants enough duchies and land to make a custom kingdom) and then summon the wittenmagot (that is to say, you guys) and decide where Lancaster will go from here, based on a few suggestions Elfwine came up with. This shouldn't take too long and might indeed benefit the AAR as a whole. We work with what we have after all. Expect a few jokes in the next few chapters about why everyone seems to think the year is different, why lots of side characters have changed their names etc.

As another nugget of info, the save file that wasn't affected at all either time the memory leak occurred (i.e. the one that CKII itself saw was CKII and saw that it was good) was the realm divide game where everyone started off with one county and I ended up rebuilding the roman empire with an immortal god emperor character named after myself. I'm not sure what this says about paradox or the RNG.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You’re not having much luck with this! Not that I’ve had too many game related issues of late, I’ve taken to making back up saves of my main AAR games on a second disc drive, a detachable hard drive I use for weekly general back ups and system mirror and a thumb drive too! Bitten too many times. :confused:

Anyway, your plan sounds good if you can manage it and as always I wish you the best of luck with it.

You’re not having much luck with this! Not that I’ve had too many game related issues of late, I’ve taken to making back up saves of my main AAR games on a second disc drive, a detachable hard drive I use for weekly general back ups and system mirror and a thumb drive too! Bitten too many times. :confused:

Anyway, your plan sounds good if you can manage it and as always I wish you the best of luck with it.

The universe really wants this aar dead, which is ironic considering that they managed to kill all my other AARs without really trying. This game contues to be saved by two facts:
  1. Elfwine is close enough to the start of the game to be restored easily.
  2. Lancaster before Elfwine hadnt done much besides their own independence, unifying the duchy of Lancaster and taking Anglesey.
But hopefully this newest disaster which actually help outs the aar find it's feet even more, given that the absurdity has been ramped up even more in the setup dials and player-reader interaction means we'll all be surprised together at the madness that ensues.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think you should just embrace the decision of the game-engine and start writing accordingly; every chapter covers Lancaster and Elfwine's rise to power but from a different (self serving and unreliable) perspective, thus explaining the slightly different events that occured in that play-through.

Basically Rashomon, but with more bears.

I think you should just embrace the decision of the game-engine and start writing accordingly; every chapter covers Lancaster and Elfwine's rise to power but from a different (self serving and unreliable) perspective, thus explaining the slightly different events that occured in that play-through.

Basically Rashomon, but with more bears.

Paradox presents: Elfwine, rise to Power. Again. It will never end.

Paradox presents: Elfwine, rise to Power. Again. It will never end.
They are just trying to provoke you into buying theor "Add on to stop buggering up the save" DLC, which if they haven't produced yet will definitely be an optional extra for CK3.

They are just trying to provoke you into buying theor "Add on to stop buggering up the save" DLC, which if they haven't produced yet will definitely be an optional extra for CK3.

Oh yes...

This chap hasn't preordered CKIII yet!
What? Summon the tech monkeys!
But sir, they're busy fixing bugs for the current range of games.
Posh posh, someone is defying us on the internet! Away with his saves. And his game too!

Exactly how trippy is everyone ok with me being? Elfwine could have wicked fever dreams about 'what could have been' as the new game catches up with the old, he could just groundhog back around every time he dies or he really messes up something or maybe he just goes mad and thinks every day happens three times slightly differently.

EDIT: I have a cunning plan...

Last edited:
There are those of us old enough to remember the halcyon (ahem) days when Dallas was about the biggest thing on TV. One later season, as the show went into its inevitable downward spiral, they went along a plot departure no-one ended up liking. So they ‘voided’ the whole season in its entirety by having it become the bad dream of one of its principal protagonists (Bobby Ewing if memory serves correctly). So the precedent is there ...

There are those of us old enough to remember the halcyon (ahem) days when Dallas was about the biggest thing on TV. One later season, as the show went into its inevitable downward spiral, they went along a plot departure no-one ended up liking. So they ‘voided’ the whole season in its entirety by having it become the bad dream of one of its principal protagonists (Bobby Ewing if memory serves correctly). So the precedent is there ...

What a strange idea. Still, I think my plan should work now I'm up to date. Bascially, I'm going to do what I do best and torture my protagonist a bunch. It is extremely fortunate that CKII does indeed have an event that gives authors license to do pretty much anything once it is successfully completed, which Elfwine did. I've not written the next chapter yet so can't confirm anything but what I suspect will end up happening is the old screenshots will be used very slowly, and the new game will take precedence. I'm actually quite looking forward to this now, as it should also afford Elfwine some much needed character development, angst and potential sympathy for the devil from the audience.

Things are about to get strange, folks. Strap in.

• 1Like
Reactions:
as it should also afford Elfwine some much needed character development, angst and potential sympathy for the devil from the audience.
Good to see you setting yourself some challenges there, getting sympathy for Elfwine is going to take some doing, particularly if he starts going angsty.
Things are about to get strange, folks. Strap in.
Excellent.
DYAEiOu.gif

Good to see you setting yourself some challenges there, getting sympathy for Elfwine is going to take some doing, particularly if he starts going angsty.

Well sympathy is a bit strong. I mean no Stan Lee making people feel sorry for newly created military industrial complex asshole tony stark in the sixites.
More like you'll pity him for a few moments before becoming disgusted again. Because most of the sad things that happened in his past/future (???) reign were all his fault.

Chapter 1: The Rebirth of Madness
Chapter 1: The Rebirth of Madness

pnfxOdpRj
pmxbxWpWj

An old man slumbered. His life had been long, and full of difficulty. Some he had defeated through great skill and ingenuity. Some through great loss and pain. Almost all had been his own making. Such was the lot of a Conqueror of Men. At eight score and seventeen, he was ancient. None but one could remember a time before his reign, before he touched the world and warped it forever. Whatever came for Lancaster in the future, it was grown and fertilized by the decades of blood and toil he had sewn into the very fabric of the land.

Elfwine Lancaster gave a last gasp of breath. He would not awaken. And so Death took his Champion.

Elsewhere

Elfwine Wiglafing breathed sharply once, and awoke with a start. His eyes, far sharper than they had been in so many years, cut across the darkened chamber so rapidly they seemed to disturb the curtains. He breathed again, slowly, experimentally. He took in the feeling, the absence of rasp, of effort and pain involved. Another breath followed, more assuredly than the last. On the fourth breath, Elfwine tried to move.

It was deceptively, almost exquisitely effortless. Smoothly his hand rotated, his arm arched and touched his unblemished, equally perfect other limbs.

Breath number five and six were rather rapid, before those eyes shut again and breathed again. Seven was calmer, controlled with years, nay decades of experience with taming a mind many considered unhinged.

Alright, he thought. Here I am within my bed, wherever that is, in a body must peculiar.

The importance of stating the obvious to force oneself to recognise reality was important, at least for him. It had taken far too long and so much loss of a painful and personal nature to understand, but Elfwine believed he did now. He was quite mad, at times, and not always to be trusted, even with himself. This current situation however, was quite unlike anything he had experienced before. Traditional hallucinatory insanity was actually, he supposed, quite welcome, contrasted to the veritable mountain of twisted things he had done in the past.

Alright, he thought. I am apparently here. I am apparently…he looked at his body again…a young child. Alright. I can accept this for now.

It was not, he supposed, the strangest thing to ever happen to him. Not yet at least.

“Is this Purgatory?” he said aloud, testing his voice. Higher pitched certainly, and not unlike the yaps of his own chil-

Oh.

Blinking rapidly, Elfwine was quite overcome with emotion. He had experienced such things all his life of course but in his later years they came far more easily and, almost, apparently, normally. It was a bitter irony perhaps that in his twilight years he had finally become human enough to recoil with horror at himself. Still, it made him a better husband and father.

Oh.

They were gone now. He knew that somehow, with a certainty of feeling. Whether this be Hell, or some other place, he was gone from his world. They were gone from him.

He idly wondered how many would mourn.

Elfwine was torn from his own head by the sound of footsteps echoing from the corridor outside. Flagstone meeting boot, he thought. It almost sounded like Old Lancaster Hall, before the place had been stripped, dismantled and rebuilt. He was nostalgic again for a moment in time, then shook himself. Wherever he was, he was about to be tested, he supposed. That meant he had to prepare for whatever came through that door. Unarmed and small he might be, but he was Lancaster. Master of these islands. King of the North. Whatever came through that door, he would face, whether it be a mighty dragon or his own children’s corpses.

The door swung open, and Elfwine was stunned.

pnWohMwvj
pmpofoWcj

“My boy? Ah, good. You’re awake already.”

Elfwine beheld his father, dead these past eighty years, and burst into tears.

pnbf4lO6j
pnbsgos2j

He was twelve years old. It was the day of his formal introduction to his father’s court in Lancaster. Elfwine could hardly comprehend it. What spawn of madness was this? His father, blessed be his memory, had come to the throne of Lancaster and indeed, been a great warrior. His grandfather may have taken the lands upon which Lancaster stood but it was Wigberht who built this hall and much more besides. It was he who had stormed the north of Wales and tamed the fierce bears that lived there. It was he – breath caught in Elfwine’s throat – it was he who presented his first and only son with a small bear cub called Secret.

Secret! Carless of the surprised maid whom was laying out his dress, Elfwine burst through the Hall, running with the vigour of youth. His feet hit the open dirt and kept going, through more surprised and faceless gatherers and petty nobles his father had summoned. Through the streets. Through the gates guarded by tall men in cloaks. He ran until he stopped, dead, in front of the original Bear Pit. Before his own rise to power, the Bear Guard was smaller and rather wilder in nature. They resided within a cavernous pit outside the walls of Lancaster, lined with holes and caves. But Elfwine cared little for such things, for he could not see his friend anywhere. He slowly sank to the ground as his strength left him, and his sweat mixed with tears as he cried into his knees for the second time that dreadful day.

A heavy and yet gentle prod hit his head. Once, twice and on the third he dared look up into a face he feared he had lost forever.

“You, who walked with me when no one else would, have not forsaken me even now.” A small child’s hand, his own, came to rest on the great grey snout. “And for you, I walked through fire and hell to reclaim.”

Secret blinked at him, and licked his cheek. You were never alone, he seemed to say, for I was with you always.

“Oh, my friend,” said Elfwine quietly into his fur, “what on earth are we to do here?”
The hall was full of everyone save the one they had all come to see. A few were already grumbling or laughing at the capriciousness of youth. Wigberht himself seemed relatively stoic upon the dais, yet the woman next to him was rather more frantic. Her son had vanished at the crack of dawn in nought but his sleeping clothes. She steadied herself and glanced at her husband. Yes, his hands and he tightness around his eyes showed his worry too. This was not one of his tricks.

And she had told him, she thought darkly. Elfwine was not ready. He was too quiet, too young yet for such a display. She came from powerful blood yes, and this family were of surprising and often astonishing strength and spectacle. But she knew her child, and within her heart feared that too much pressure would snap the boy in a way unsalvageable.

“Say something,” she murmured to her lap. Wigberht stilled and darted a look towards her. “Anything. I don’t know, just get them gone so we can look for him.”

His face closed into a weary sigh, and when his eyes opened worry shone more visibly from them. He nodded and made to rise. The audience however, were not looking at him.

They were looking at his son, who sat astride a gigantic white bear, and following which was every other such creature in the Bear Guard. They strode in, with such authority that no Man could ever hope to acquire. The great bear, Secret, he recalled, turned at mounted the dais with Elfwine still sat on its back. The hall was silent.

“My lords, my Ladies,” the boy began, “I apologise for your wait. It is my habit of late to spend a few hours each morning with my good friends here, that they might serve my father better.” The bears, to a one, growled in approval. “My father is a good man, a rare trait in one who rules over so many and so well. I…I would doubt I could bear half his heart. My talent lies in other areas. Nonetheless I pledge before you all today that I have and shall dedicate my whole life to the people and ki-relam of Lancaster. With your own efforts and loyalty, my family shall through trial and tribulation bring forth great prosperity and glory for all. Now, please join me in a toast to our noble ruler.”

Wigberht hardly managed to raise his hand in acknowledgement of the cheering. Apparently, all of that had actually just happened. He looked at his wife, rather openly bewildered. She seemed similarly nonplussed.

Elfwine himself rubbed Secret’s neck. They had decided that, if indeed they now resided within madness, to indulge in a little themselves.

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, Elfwine time-traveled?

So, Elfwine time-traveled?

Sort of but not really. There's some big differences in this new world that will become obvious next chapter. For the moment however the biggest change is that Elfwine has a different mother, and thus a much larger family than he had previously.

Chapter 2: Building up Lancaster
Chapter 2: Building up Lancaster

Elfwine paced through the streets, nodding and smiling at the many workmen and master craftsmen he had invited/swindled/stolen away to his father’s hold. A servant struggled to keep up despite his relative stature.

“We need more smithies and carpenters before we can think about re-equipping the men. Oh, and more cooks and polishers. If a herald comes back saying he’s found the cheesemakers I asked for, send him right straight to me.”

“Y-yes, my lord,” the servant scribbled away. “Anything else?”

“Did the builders manage to drain and check the wells yet? They might need expanding before too long if this place is anything like…oh, yes, bricklayers and smelters, have their kit set up downwind of everyone else, next to the charcoal makers and leathercrafters. Don’t want to make people ill. How’s our funding?”

“Trade is booming, my lord,” the servant smiled and frowned when Elfwine was no longer there. “And,” he hastened, “y-your father wishes to see you shortly.”

“I’m sure I can find time today. Thank you, Jan. Go check on the newborn, alright?”

“Y-yes, my lord. Thank you, my lord.”

And so the day went, much as it had for the last few weeks. Lancaster was bursting at the seams with all the new bodies rolling around inside of it. Elfwine resisted the urge to giggle like the child he…was? He frowned, then shrugged. Since accepting the madness, he found it far easier to simply go with the flow of it all. For as long as he was here, he saw no reason not to transform Lancaster into what he knew it could be.

It kept him out of the house too.

Elfwine paused after ducking under a plank of wood. Whenever he saw his father, the niggle of doubt that whispered this was all real got to him. Frankly, he found it unacceptable at the moment, and so had elected to ignore it and…him. But he wasn’t lord of this city really. A child, no matter how extraordinary has leeway only so far as a parent grants.

Unfortunately, his father wasn’t even the biggest issue.

“Elfwine!”

pmmlD10xj

She was.

The woman was convinced she was his mother. Certainly, Elfwine took after her. He had inherited her eyes, far bluer than his old metallic grey, and her redder, fairer hair. Elfwine didn’t really want to think about being related to the Karlings, it sounded so inherently silly. Yet apparently, yes, the two brothers remained alive and well, and still trying to kill one another. Subsequently they married out their children to anyone remotely powerful or influential that might grant them an edge in battle. Lancaster apparently followed Elfwine’s own policies of ignoring Europe however, for which he certainly approved.

“My dear,” a gentle but firm hand lifted his chin up. He beheld her face, still fresh and youthful despite four pregnancies. His respect for her for such a feat, especially carrying twins on the last occasion, was high. Elfwine knew well the pain of children himself.

“Forgive me, I was elsewhere,” he shrugged her off and took a step back. He winced as his back impacted the wall behind him.

“Are you alright?” she asked, crouching down before him and touching him again, this time on the shoulder.

“I think so, it wasn’t too hard.” He rubbed his head.

“So, I see,” she said, with a little humour. “Your father was asking for you again. Are you avoiding him?”

“I think we somehow keep managing to miss one another,” Elfwine replied, looking around for an escape.

“My son,” she said, and repeated after catching his face again. “Whatever it is that troubles you, we wish only to help. Why do you hide from us? Your sisters miss you.”

And that, Elfwine thought miserably, was one thing he had no reply for.

He had never truly had a sibling. His mother died giving life to him. His father dallied around and remarried but with little further fruit, save for a few quiet bastards. It…confused him, to be in such a position as this. It was the aspect of this world that made him feel truly mad, and alone.

“I will redouble my efforts.”

She sighed. “That is not what I was hoping for. Just remember, alright?”

“Alright.”

He needed to find Secret. It was time for this madness to end.

“Stop sulking.”

Secret huffed, and did not look around.

“You are sulking. You know we have to visit Him. Would you rather we meet up after dark?”

The bear shuddered beneath Elfwine’s legs and kept walking.

“I wish it were not so, you know. I wish…I’m not sure what I wish.”

Did he want it to end? Did he want this to be real? What did it mean if it was, for him and for his apparent new family? Was he supposed to live his life again, or differently? How did any of this gain access to Heaven?

There were few beings in the world who could grant such knowledge. Unfortunately, Elfwine knew of only one that had any interest of talking to ‘lesser mortals’. Still, it did not stop him hoping as they rounded another corner on the path and a waterfall came in sight, that they would find no one at home.

“We’re here,” he whispered. “Thank you, old friend, you need come no closer.”

Secret snorted and butted his head against Elfwine’s sore back. They went forward through the water together.

The cave beyond was fairly well lit by the simmering sunlight through the veil of water, and the various growth that glowed blue along the walls. Further in they went, leaving behind the sounds of the outside world, and eventually fellow cave dwellers such as rats and bats.

Suddenly a worn and filthy door appeared in front of them. Upon the frame read:

Do come in,’

Elfwine entered into the pitch blackness beyond. Secret came to rest beside him and endeavoured to keep breathing normally. After a while in darkness, the kind so deep it is solid, the body begins to invent what its senses cannot detect. However, Elfwine knew he was not imagining things when a soft green glow began to appear in the distance.

“WHO DARES DISTURB MY SLUMBER?”

“Oh good,” Elfwine said, “He’s still here.” Patting Secret, he said, “Don’t worry, it’s only Rambunctious the Wizard.”

“I,” screamed the voice grandly, the lights appearing again in a flash of white and green, “AM RAMBUNCTIOUS THE WIZARD!”

The pair stared at the figure before them. Secret coughed.

“Hi,” Elfwine said. “Nice to meet you…again.”

“Do you know me then?” the wizard said in a scratchy voice. He was a short man, sturdily built with a beard and hair that seemed to explode outwards from his face.

“Potentially,” Elfwine said. “In this situation, you told me to tell you that I should not worry for being a Shepard amongst sheep.”

“And?”

“I replied, did that mean I had to shag a sheep eventually?”

“ANNNNNNNND?”

“You said, ‘Ewe’ve never been to Belgium.’ And laughed. I din’t get it.”

“Neither do I.”

“What is Belgium?”

“Sounds a bit like a tavern. I think it’s a tavern.”

“Oh.” Elfwine filed that away for later. In six months, Lancaster’s largest and most popular public house was born.

The wizard Rambuctious scratched his nose for a bit and then sat down in front of the boy and his bear. They made quite a sight. A large polar bear with the hint of undeath about him, a young boy with eyes of a shark and the smile of an eagle, and a small, strange man in lime green trousers.

“Enough with the foreplay,” Rambuctious said, “I am the Great-”

“Yeah, we know,” Elfwine said. “I’m…I used to be the King of Lancaster, ninety-seven years old and very much not a small child. You’ve been part of my court since that Cup of Life incident fifty years ago.”

“THE CUP OF LIFE! THE MOST SACRED OF-”

“Yeah, that one. Didn’t turn out to exist in the end. Quite disappointing for me. Three weeks in Ireland wasted. Anyway, you told me to come to you if anything weird happened.”

“Has something strange happened?” The man asked earnestly.

“…I’m ninety-seven,” the boy said.

“And he is a large example of Ursus Martimus. In common tongue, a gigantic bloody bear. Normal is clearly relative my boy, do keep up.”

This was one of the reasons why Elfwine had a love/hate relationship with Rambunctious.

“Well, this never happened before. I’ve died or been transported here and changed-it does not matter which. What I want to know is what to do about it?”

“What to do about it?”

“Yes.”

“Do you dislike being a young child at ninety-seven? Do you hate your family? Your kingdom? What are you wanting me to say here?”

“But…I can’t just accept this! My mother is a stranger to me. My father…can’t be alive again? Did I die or…did everyone else?” He finished softly. “Are my children gone? Their children? Their children’s children?”

Rambunctious sighed and took out a pipe from somewhere. “My boy-er, man, you will never know. I certainly do not. How on earth could we ever come to a satisfactory answer without doubting it? If it is true that you are realm-shifted, that you were and then not, and now are again, then apparently space is warped and time is bendable and reality is someone’s plaything.” He threw up his hands. “Not a clue. If you came for advice, mine would be…well, I would probably come here and carry on with whatever I was doing but I suspect that doesn’t apply. In terms of the world…you have to believe that we are real, for your own sake. Everyone around you is a person, just like you, that sort of nonsense.”

He sniffed. “I hate pep talks. I’m going somewhere else to read.” He clattered away, making far too much noise in an apparently empty cave.

Secret relaxed finally, and nudged Elfwine. The boy nodded but sat quietly for a while next to the bear. “I’m not sure I can do this, Secret.”

Secret huffed and looked at Elfwine. You know that you can, he seemed to say, but you are not sure whether you want it. Or deserve it.

“People rarely get what they deserve,” Elfwine muttered. That perhaps, was the very problem.

“Forgive me Father, for I have sinned.”

• 2Like
Reactions:
So, Elfwine's in a parallel universe, and he's... having trouble adjusting.

How do we know that this isn't an illusion, or a dream of Elfwine's? Or a dream of somebody else?

This chapter was... rather philosophical, in all honesty.